Most embarrassing "fat" moment....

Options

Replies

• pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    my doctor thought i might have worms because of the strange marks on my stomach.
    she was a new doctor it was her first week.
    they were just my stretch marks.
  • bubmaster
    Options
    far to many to list...lol
  • emilym_3
    emilym_3 Posts: 62
    Options
    *Hug* I would have helped.
  • ChristaLee72
    ChristaLee72 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I went from driving a Ford Ranger pick-up to an Escape and then to a 4 door Explorer. My dad asked me if I was upgrading to bigger vehicles to accommodate my weight gain. ugh...
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I was alone when I had mine but it was still hard. I saw that the 'cute' swimsuit I bought at Target and had worn all summer was actually a maternity suit. I wondered how many people, if any, knew that it was and wondered when I swam with my white-haired husband, if I really was pregnant. I was 50 at the time. Thank God I didn't run into an actual pregnant woman wearing the same suit!

That is how I came up with my sn on here. I'm very happy to say that I no longer look pregnant! :)
  • ChristaLee72
    ChristaLee72 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Having my friend tell me she had a hard time finding a bridesmaid dress that flattered because I was the only plus size person in their bridal party.

Wow...some friend!!!
  • smithy85
    smithy85 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Went to a fair ground with a friend, sat on one of the rides and they came around to clip you in the harness.

He said to me ''squeeze in'' but I would of had to of chucked my stomach over my shoulder to get in the ride, I was asked to get off the ride infront of a huge que, a full ride and left my friend on their, that was one of my worst moments!! to make it even worse the guy should at the que ''room for one more as the last person couldnt fit in the harness!!!'' OMFG - really did he need to shout that!

Also once went out to the outdoor pool with my partner, one guy said my legs are bigger than his waist and I shouldnt have them out it was disgusting.

Also went to the pub one night and one guy said jesus look at her arms, they are bigger than my legs....how fat is she?

All disturbing points that led to me eating my feelings!
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I worked for a cell phone company and answered the phone. It was a lady (quite obviously not from the US) who said "the chubby girl helped my niece and the money didn't go on the account." It was an easy mistake to fix but I was the "chubby" girl! I was only 10-15 lbs overweight at the time, so I was "chubby" but I don't think I was big enough that my weight was really that noticeable. Actually I was more mad than anything, maybe her culture thinks its ok to call and refer to someone as "the chubby girl," but it's actually kind of rude. I should have said sorry there are no chubby girls who work here!
  • emilym_3
    emilym_3 Posts: 62
    Options
    The pregnancy thing has happened to me on more than one occasion. :-/ That's the worst. My other humiliating "fat" moment was when my grandmother made a comment that I must have gained all the weight that my mother has lost. Rude... still haven't forgiven her for that snide remark.

My Nana said something like "you know big women aren't attractive," when I was like 10 years old. I've never been close to her after that.
  • pag41989
    pag41989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It would be either when I walked into Victorias Secret and was told they didn't carry anything bigger in my size when I was just used to wearing a size 3 just a couple years ago. Or going to my best friend's bachelorette party and overhearing some guy at the club calling me the "fat friend" :/
  • zealousmissjj_wechange
    Options
    We were buying a new toiletseat at Ikea, when I showed my boyfriend a simple, plain white one. He responds "are you sure can fit your *kitten* on there?" Straight face, not joking - at all - so I stare at him with my mouth open. "No, seriously, do you think you will fit on there?" That hurt so much! I never knew he thought I was too big! Sure did then.

Another one, very recent and also my reason for being on MFP: a friend of my boyfriend asks me if I'm sure me and my sister are related. "Why?" I ask. "Well because you have a big *kitten* and she doesnt." And he wasnt trying to be funny.. My friends were standing there, wishing they didnt hear that comment. Well, so did I!!

Great thing is; the butt is getting smaller :wink:
  • Absidey
    Absidey Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The reverse of getting asked if you're pregnant when you're not: I was excited when I crossed the "pregnant not fat" threshold with my daughter. For most of my pregnancy, people would eye me, study my belly, usually decide it was safer to say nothing, and then avoid eye contact. Smart move, but I was still happy when it got to the point people were sure I really was. Then the "Are you having twins?" questions started, but I was so happy to be visibily pregnant I didn't mind.

I've gotten the question when I wasn't, though, too. The worst was when I was getting fitted for a corset, and the manager came jogging up to me, slightly paniced, and tried to get the sales person helping me to stop, because it could hurt the baby.
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Gosh, there have been so many....being mistaken for pregnant, realizing I had a huge walk-in closet full of clothes but only about 3 or 4 things I could fit into, the shame of shopping in the plus department and hoping I didn't run into anybody I knew, but this one really stands out. A big group of my family was gathered around the dining room table over the holidays. We had just finished our meal when my sister patted her husband's belly (who was NOT fat) and made the comment that he had to go on a diet, he was ALMOST 200 POUNDS. Everybody laughed except me - I was mortified. I don't think she had a clue what I really weighed. I felt my face turn red with embarrassment. I'm pretty sure it was noticed...
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm a dad. 2 young boys and soon to add a baby girl. It breaks my heart to think about a dad saying something like this to his baby girl. WTF? The fact that you see him 1 or 2 times a year speaks a lot of him... He'll realize one day what he's done and it will haunt him.
    Oh... a second one, not really an embarrassing fat moment, but an upsetting one! I was 15yo I think and I was getting ready to go out with my friends, when my Dad asks me if I'm "taking my spare tyre out with me tonight" - looking back now, I was a size 12 and NOT fat. At the time, I believed I was overweight and developed terrible eating/binge drinking habits. 15 years later, my Dad still makes comments every time he see's me (we only see each other 1-2 times per year, but now I'm old enough and strong enough to tell him his words are hurtful and just plain wrong.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I got kicked off a ride at the amusement park because I was too fat.
    :blushing:

Or when I was in jr high/high school walking people would yell "wide load" and say other mean things. Kids are jerks.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Why do people think its Ok to abuse others who are overweight? Can you imagine having someonelean out of a car and shout "Go F*cking you cold turkey you smoker" ...In fact there are lots of words to abuse fat people but I can't think of a single one for smokers, why is that?

People DO say things like that to smokers all the time actually. I think it's rude to shout out at a stranger in any case, unless they are in danger and you are saying "watch out!"
  • krg724
    krg724 Posts: 18
    Options
    I was trying on wedding dresses and I found one that I liked in a size I knew I couldn't get my left leg into, I brought it to the woman working and was about to ask if she had one similar in a larger size and before I could say a word she said "you aren't a size 6 this isn't going to fit you" and took it from me. I was horrified but went to try on the other dress my friend and my mom had picked... the lady came into the room to check on me and I was having issues with the zipper, it zipped up but the dress was too snug in a few places.. She then turns to me and says "maybe you should go and lose weight and then come back to find a dress". It was a self owned shop, but it was probably the worst day of my life. Shopping for your wedding dress should be a happy magical experience and she ruined it. I ended up settling for an online plus size order that was not my favorite because I was just so depressed with shopping. I'm determined to get to my goal weight, and when I do my husband has promised a vow renewal ceremony on the beach in WHATEVER wedding gown I choose!
  • lshaunessy
    Options
    Mine was when my father-in-law told me that I needed to lose weight because if there were ever an emergency and I was unconcious my husband would be able to get my fat *kitten* out the door without a crane.
  • krg724
    krg724 Posts: 18
    Options
    Mine was when my father-in-law told me that I needed to lose weight because if there were ever an emergency and I was unconcious my husband would be able to get my fat *kitten* out the door without a crane.

oh wow... I'm so sorry that is terrible