What kind of dog is the best

Options

Replies

• hijude57
    hijude57 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a pomeranian. The best lap dog ever! But he hates other dogs and people.
    Loved my bassett but she really was dumb!
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    We have a 4 year old puggle (pug, beagle). She has a great temperament and is fabulous with my kids; she isn't the best smelling dog though...

I have two puggles, as seen here
    <
    I love them to death, both were rescues, both have great, loving personalities. But I agree with others, you need to train them as a puppy to be the dog you want them to be.
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Any breed can be great with kids and other dogs, it is all about how you train them. I think the questions you want to ask yourself are more about your lifestyle ... do you want a dog to go running with, to play fetch with the kids, or do you want a dog that prefers to snuggle with you on the couch... ? A couple people have mentioned the "breed matching websites and TV shows" - those are good but I would also suggest going to the local shelters or dog parks and interacting with different types of dogs...

I have a pitbull and an American bulldog. I love them both but I have to say the pit is naturally better with people and other dogs... he is so outgoing and smart, he was a breeze to train. Our bulldog is a sweet dog (he does like people and dogs) but he is SOOO stubborn... not the easiest dog to train.... We have put a TON of work / time into training and socializing him so it he is really growing into a great dog but I wouldn't have reccomended that a familty adopt him (not so much because he is a "bad dog" but more so becuase of the time commitment he needed in terms of training).

Regardless of breed each dog has him/her own personality so they don't always conform to how you think they should act - good luck :flowerforyou:
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    Adopt if you can, it's so rewarding. We got a black lab mix puppy 6 months ago; and Roxie is the best.
  • anaboneana
    anaboneana Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    black lab <3 (sooo loving, playful, and loyal! i love my lab, Boris. he takes me walking and running, making sure i get a bit of excercise every day.)
    or
    corgi (sooo cute!)

also, what she said ^^ adoption is awesome (that's how i got my boy)
  • kreeestal4
    Options
    we have a great german shephard akc registerd 6 month pup. Hes awesome full of energy growls and barks when people come to near but does not attack good with cats people and children who like to play. HEs hilarious.
  • jpfost
    jpfost Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hands down, Great Dane
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    golden retriever
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Poodles! They're super smart, the mini ones are small enough for you to pick up and snuggle, they live for a long time and they don't shed.

We have a 12yo minipoodle who is the light of our lives. She is so wonderful and she was a stray when we found her, which we couldn't believe. We love her more and more every day!

Whatever you decide, PLEASE adopt a dog from a rescue group or humane society!!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    West Highland Terriers are great. Had mine for about 5 yrs before we had kids and he was great when they came along and even protective of them. Can be a bit barky, but no one would be able to sneak in the house, lol!!
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Lab's are always a good bet, they're a little hyper when they're young but calm down as they age. I have a 10 year old black lab/pit bull mix, smartest, sweetest, super cuddly and loving, most obedient dog I've ever had (and I've had one all my life, Im 31) I got her as a puppy but I almost got a 2 year old lab/chow mix before I laid eyes on her. Ive always had black lab mixes, great family dogs, protective, sweet and even tempered, usually great with other dogs, wonderful with children (mine lets all of my friends kids hang and pull on her with no worries at all, she just LOVES kids!)
  • tansygreen
    tansygreen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I really believe almost any breed of dog can be a great pet if you make sure you buy a dog of the right temperament, and don't be lax with training in the early years.

A good breeder should temperament test their dogs at a certain point (7 weeks old?). We bought our American Bulldog (10 years ago) from the best UK breeder we could find in the UK. She has the nicest temperament of pretty much any dog I know, whatever their breed. That is what we asked the breeder for and that is what we got.

I know other people who have that breed of dog and they are a nightmare with families and visitors, and won't let other dogs near the house, etc. I really think it's worth paying more to get a dog from a really well known breeder who knows how to temperament test, and also who will provide ongoing support after you have bought the dog.

Sometimes the funniest and most pushy ones in the litter when you view them at the breeders, might grow up to be a bit too big for their boots, and more pushy when you're trying to train them. Equally the real wimpy ones that get pushed around by their litter mates and never get to the toys/food, might be too nervous, which can also be a problem with aggressive behaviour later in life.

Like other people have said on here it's all about the training - from day one, don't let them ever let them get into situations where they're going to be scared, or feel insecure, which can create issues later on. Also don't let them do anything you find unnacceptable - even when they're a really cute pup!! It is tough I know :)
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    How about getting a mongrel, often are more intelligent, less genetic problems and less inclined to extremes in temperament (obviously depends on the individual dog and whatever mix it is). We got a puppy that was rescued from a bin, she might have no status symbol value but she's a fabulous intelligent fun loving dog, great with people and other dogs (as long as they're ok with her - :tongue: ).

If you HAVE to get a breed Boxers do indeed seem to be sweet funny dogs.
  • rininger85
    rininger85 Posts: 131
    Options
    I have a 4 year old female golden retriever that my ex and I got for her kids when we were together... got her as a puppy and she has been a great dog for kids, the only problem is that she got big faster than the kids did and she is still a big pup at heart so is pretty hyper and might knock kids over depending on age/size... she might have settled down a little faster if we had got her fixed, but originally we had planned on breeding her, then we broke up and my ex was living in an apartment so I kept the dog, she was supposed to take her when she got a place that she could have her but then never did and ended up getting another puppy instead... I'd like to adopt her out to someone that I know would take care of her, but I've raised her from a pup and shes finally calming down (slightly) so I'm hesitant about it... just makes it hard to travel as much as I would like to having her, but she keeps my blue heeler company too - even though he is getting old and grouchy... my blue heeler is the smartest dog I've ever owned, but they are pretty protective over their family and might nip at people they don't know or high strung kids (he is just trying to do his job and get the kids in line!) so not necessarily the best dog for kids - thats how I got him was because the family that had him was afraid he might bite their grandkids so they were gonna have him put down until I adopted him instead =)
  • albrown44
    Options
    LAB....HANDS DOWN!!!!:heart:
  • timmy2strikes
    timmy2strikes Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Boxer. You will not find another breed that is better with children and other animals. Ours is a joy, and so loving. They are also total clowns, and will have you laughing from day one. He's in my avatar, sitting still, wearing my sunglasses. He is amazing, and when he passes my wife and I are going to be inconsolable.

I agree... my Boxer/pitbull is an angel and loves eveyone. I also had a corgie once who we called Mr. perfect because he damn near was.

I have a cocker spaniel who is a witch with a "B". She is my baby girl but she barks at everyone annd everything. (Especially now that she is an old lady)

I agree withthew other poster that you should get a rescue dog that is at least over three years old so you know what you are getting.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Rescue a racing greyhound! They retire between the ages of 2 and 5.

I have 2 in my 1000sqft condo. They are like cats, they sleep all day and love to cuddle. Watch out for their tails though, when they get too happy they can hurt!

They have different personalities. Any aggressiveness has been bred out of them many generations ago. I have one who is shy with humans but love dogs and the other loves playing with children and adults but is shy around strange dogs. So when I walk them both, if I see a child in the stroller, I will put Caramel at the front so the child can grab her face and if I see someone walking their dog, I will put Ginger up front to say hello. They are very awesome!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    A cat.

AHHHH......AHHHHH....AHHHHH...AHCHOOOOOOO!!!! ........ Now where did I put my Zyrtec???? :sick:
  • _Thanatos_
    _Thanatos_ Posts: 166
    Options
    Golden Retriever
  • Tyyche
    Tyyche Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, a boxer are amazing dogs. You will laugh and love a LOT with one. Ours is 7 and he's the perfect dog.

We also just got a bullmastiff puppy... who also are giant lovebugs, while being a very formidable looking guardian who would give his life for him family.