What kind of dog is the best

Options
123457»

Replies

• shortybb26
    shortybb26 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a pug and he is the most gentle thing ever!! He tries to act mean by growling but he sounds like a old man and just makes me laugh..He is my first dog and I will always have a pug the rest of my life thanks to his example.
  • lolabluola
    lolabluola Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    560298_10150978749750873_1234790676_n.jpg

My dog is the best ;)

(golden Retriever)

not sure why my photo doesn't work so here:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/laurasitler/Dee in the Adirondacks/560298_10150978749750873_1234790676_n.jpg
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The best dog for you is the one that fits your lifestyle the best. In your shoes, I'd sit down and make a list of what you absolutely must have, what would be good to haves and what will not work for you, and go from there. Things to consider:

Size
    Shedding/coat maintenance/Grooming
    Exercise Level (Do you want a ball dropped in your lap constantly, after you've run with the dog 10 miles?)
    Guarding ability (you don't want much, if you have kids/kids friends around much)
    Ability to live with other animals (while some of this is socialization dependent, some breeds are more prone to animal aggression than others)
    Barking Threshold
    Drooling/Wet Beard

Get a good book like Daniel Tortora's The Right Dog for You, and go from there. Your library likely has some good books along these lines.

Personally, I like large, challenging dogs - GSDs, Rottweiler, Dobermans, Malamutes, Great Danes, Leonberger, etc. but that would not be everyone's cup of tea. Also keep in mind that some breed traits (like same sex aggression) may not manifest until the dog has hit physical maturity (2-3 years old), so if you want something that is a known commodity, a dog that's an adult, fostered in a home by a rescue might be your best bet. I volunteer with the local German Shepherd rescue, and we place GSDs in homes with kids/cats/dogs/birds etc. ALL the time.
  • ruggedBear
    ruggedBear Posts: 295
    Options
    Your lifestyle, location and breeder (many have dogs that need to be re-homed or were rescued) are the most important thing to consider. We are a very laid-back family, not a ton of noise around the house. We have a large, safe yard on a very lightly traveled dirt road. We have two kids, cats and a rabbit. We have had two Bernese Mountain Dogs (Morgan - 1997-2008, and Baron 2006-present). My parents loved Morgan so much they bought Baron's brother - Blaise) - since before we had kids, and they were great at every age (kids are now 10 and 12).

Having three Berners in the house can be a challenge (when they're all over 125 lbs) but they do not drool (a big plus for me!), love us so deeply and give the best full-body hugs you can imagine! A must - invest in a good vacuum (or several).

Pic of Baron on my profile - I love how expressive his eyes are. Good luck finding a dog!
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Get a rabbit!!! They are the best pet's. Easy to potty train, can do cooler tricks, come when called, can be left at home for long periods of time, and vet bills run from $9-75 per year!!

Yeap I have one...
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    The best dog for you is the one that fits your lifestyle the best. In your shoes, I'd sit down and make a list of what you absolutely must have, what would be good to haves and what will not work for you, and go from there. Things to consider:

Size
    Shedding/coat maintenance/Grooming
    Exercise Level (Do you want a ball dropped in your lap constantly, after you've run with the dog 10 miles?)
    Guarding ability (you don't want much, if you have kids/kids friends around much)
    Ability to live with other animals (while some of this is socialization dependent, some breeds are more prone to animal aggression than others)
    Barking Threshold
    Drooling/Wet Beard

Get a good book like Daniel Tortora's The Right Dog for You, and go from there. Your library likely has some good books along these lines.

Personally, I like large, challenging dogs - GSDs, Rottweiler, Dobermans, Malamutes, Great Danes, Leonberger, etc. but that would not be everyone's cup of tea. Also keep in mind that some breed traits (like same sex aggression) may not manifest until the dog has hit physical maturity (2-3 years old), so if you want something that is a known commodity, a dog that's an adult, fostered in a home by a rescue might be your best bet. I volunteer with the local German Shepherd rescue, and we place GSDs in homes with kids/cats/dogs/birds etc. ALL the time.

I like this person and their answer because it's completely true. Pick a dog that will suit your lifestyle.
    Plus they have good tastes in dogs! Haha.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    We did a lot of research on this not that long ago before getting Dimitri :heart: :) (Beagle/boston mix)

Personally I would have gone for the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, but sadly they fall under the pitbull ban here in Ontario.
    Do some research and evaluate the kind of dog you might want in your family.
    I was once the proud mama to a Siberian husky, but I know the maintanance and level of activity would not work with our family at the moment. Shedding/grooming, size, activity level etc etc all play an imortant roll.
    And I too promote adoption, so many great dogs in need of a good home
    Best of luck in your search!
  • cindys0417
    cindys0417 Posts: 1,097 Member
    Options
    Just wanted you to know..I got a dog! I took the suggestion on someone here to go to animal planet and see what kind of dog is best for you. the answer was Glen of Imaal Terrier which is a rare kind of terrier but I found one. He is a mix of Glen of Imaal and wirehair terrier but disposition is Glen of Imaal...ha ha...wants to be in charge but he is learning quickly that Im in charge .. ha ha..will have to learn him the basics..but he is a good walker so he must be use to that except for sometimes he wants to go towards the street and I tell him to go other way, he will bite at this leash cuz he doesn't like the way im going I guess.. ha ha..Anyway , here he is...he came from rescue in North Carolina all the way to Wisconsin. He is a wisconsinite now but a Bears Fan..Not a Packers Fan..ha ha..thanks for the suggestions! He is 3 years old , housebroken..I know that..We've been out about 5 times today and its only 1pm! ..

rags9.jpg
  • dubist
    dubist Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    a long dog
  • txlissa62
    Options
    Just wanted you to know..I got a dog! I took the suggestion on someone here to go to animal planet and see what kind of dog is best for you. the answer was Glen of Imaal Terrier which is a rare kind of terrier but I found one. He is a mix of Glen of Imaal and wirehair terrier but disposition is Glen of Imaal...ha ha...wants to be in charge but he is learning quickly that Im in charge .. ha ha..will have to learn him the basics..but he is a good walker so he must be use to that except for sometimes he wants to go towards the street and I tell him to go other way, he will bite at this leash cuz he doesn't like the way im going I guess.. ha ha..Anyway , here he is...he came from rescue in North Carolina all the way to Wisconsin. He is a wisconsinite now but a Bears Fan..Not a Packers Fan..ha ha..thanks for the suggestions! He is 3 years old , housebroken..I know that..We've been out about 5 times today and its only 1pm! ..

rags9.jpg

So cute! How wonderful that you got a rescue. Where in NC did it come from?