I absolutely HATE dieting/exercise...

Options
Am I the only person who constantly feels like this is a punishment? The feeling that I've lost that freedom to eat my beloved fried cheese balls and ranch, or a nice steak? I leave work every day and go work out. Yes, I've just started like a little over a week ago, working out again. I have heard the "you'll feel different when you see results". But this isn't my first go at this. I feel like I leave my job, to go to another job (lifting/cardio). Only to reap no rewards of foods I once enjoyed because I need to be eating clean. I have my reasons for doing this - my health, my very supportive boyfriend. But everything just sucks when 4pm rolls around and I'm actually dreading leaving work because I have to go exercise. Yes I know I should find something I really enjoy. I live in a very rural area. It's at least an hour to civilization. My options are limited.

I just can't help but to feel like I can't be the only one that doesn't truly enjoy this. But I'll keep doing it alone if I have to...

Replies

• shyeban
    shyeban Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Poor you! I'd say find a different kind of exercise.

I find the gym alright, although boring... but I look forward to my zumba class every week and wish I could afford to go more often.
    I also love getting on my bike and exploring...

Find what works for you.
    x
  • lilschrec0007
    Options
    It could be because you haven't found the correct diet/workout program. There are different types for each individual person. Exercising should be an escape from stress. Keep changing up your workout routine until you find something that you actually like. This will keep pushing yourself to get to the gym.

For dieting, it sucks. I will agree with you on that. But, the same concept can be said. You have to find the low calorie, low fat food that you enjoy eating. It can be difficult being so far from civilization. But keep searching and something is bound to come up.
  • TheEmi
    TheEmi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've felt like that over the past 6 months. It waxes and wanes for me. Switching things up helps me feel like it is less of a burden. I hope you can find something to alter your routine and make it less odious!
  • fIuffy2fit
    fIuffy2fit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i think you're seeing it as glass half empty. Instead think about it as burning fat, getting healthier inside and out and just releasing the stress and toxins in your body
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I think you need to change your attitude towards working out. Stop focusing on how much you hate it and just learn to love it. I used to hate running but now I look forward to my 9 mile run. The more you moan the worse you feel, like when you're ill!
  • amandagyeoman
    amandagyeoman Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    They offer a zumba class 30 minutes away (another small town) that I did enjoy and it's only $25 for 5 weeks/classes twice a week. I liked that. But she doesn't do the classes in the summer, which means I would have to wait until September to get back on track. Weight wise, I can't afford to do that. So I joined Curves. They are very nice. I understand the program. I believe it's working. Yes I do feel better. But I can't shake that feeling that it's just a thankless job. I count my calories all day. I try to aim for -500 a day. But at the end of my day I'm still hungry after my lean protein, serving of veggies, and either fruit/grains. I go to bed hungry. I wake up hungry. I repeat the process. I'm getting better at waking up earlier. So hopefully next week I can start getting up early enough to do my at home Zumba workout. But I'm far from thrilled.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Don't look at it as "dieting", look at is as a healthier lifestyle. With that said (and clean eaters, don't tear a strip off me), I don't think it's ultimately important that you 100% eat clean. Just make better choices. Eat some more fruits, veggies, and pay attention to what you're putting in your mouth. Make sure you eat enough that you're not starving all day, and eventually, it will become second nature.

As for the exercising, you feel the difference long before you see the results. You'll sleep better, feel more alert, and you'll notice yourself getting stronger. :-)
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I used to think this way and wasn't making much progress. When I changed my outlook on it to it not being a diet but a healthier lifestyle, and finding workouts I like and getting a job that is active, I found I've made more progress and have been happier during the process. :)
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way!! I just logged my breakfast and lunch (all "healthy/diet" food) and i have 190 cals left for dinner! (have to get to grocery store...stupid wawa doesn't help). if i don't work out my dinner will consist of basically nothing. i'm constantly hungry and obsessed with food. it's horrible. and i can't stand exercising either. there isn't a single thing about it i enjoy. i hate running, walking, sweating, legs burning, lungs burning, not being able to breathe, arms hurting, being so sore the next day i can't walk and my job requires me to....it all makes me sick.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    The problem is while you are feeling like this you are more likely to give up.

Why not work some treats into your food plan so you get your fix - but balance it out the majority of the time.

If you just resent what you're doing you're going to be doomed from the start - especially as you are only a week in.
  • Jexebel
    Jexebel Posts: 67
    Options
    Try eating 'clean' 5-6 days a week and enjoy your cheese balls and what not once a week. In moderation. Don't have 50 of em. You'll have something to look forward to. As for exercise, find something you like. It exists.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    p.s. then when i do go to the gym i feel super inadequate being surrounded by gym buffs and people running 5-6 miles straight without even blinking. or people way bigger than me who are charging through an exercise class and i feel like i'm going to die. it's the worst and yes, it does feel like punishment.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I live in a rural area and love it - cycling and walking in the countryside is great and I dont feel like I'm working out - I'm exploring!!

I feel your pain with the gym, I hate it. Little pockets of hell and they charge you an arm and a leg! So I just dont go - simple. Havent had a gym membership and dont think I ever will. I've invested in equipment for at home instead with the money I've saved from not going. I now have an exercise bike, little pink dumbells, pilates mat, hula hoop, and most recently a weights machine so I can start doing some heavy lifting. One day I'm hoping to get some free weights and a rowing machine too I think.

As for food - nothing is off the menu, I just plan it better so If I want KFC (which I do today) then I'll workout more or eat less so that I can have it and stay in my goals. And tonight I'm getting what I want not the healthy option lol

You just have to find what works for you :flowerforyou:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Only to reap no rewards of foods I once enjoyed

This is one of those things that many of us need to change about our thinking. Food is, first and foremost, fuel for our bodies. If you see food as mostly a reward system, you are going to run in to trouble.

There is nothing that says you can't have the foods you love. You just have to "budget". I have a small piece of dark chocolate every other day (44 calories for a Dove Promise yum!) and I even had a small brownie at a party this weekend (and logged it on MFP). Think of your reward foods as small treats and not something to indulge in everyday. For everyday eating, food is fuel. Last night for dinner, I had one of my favorite meals: black beans with melted cheese (mmmm gooey!) but instead of lots of rice and a half a package of cheese, i mixed in lots of veggies, and just an ounce of cheese. I measured out an appropriate amount of beans instead of the whole can. I still ate some favorite foods, just a more appropriate amount and preparation.

That isn't to say don't reward yourself, but it's time to FIND WAYS TO REWARD YOURSELF THAT DON'T INVOLVE FOOD. For me lately, that's nail polish, of all things! It's fun, it's something pretty I can "wear" no matter my weight, AND, using it keeps my hands busy.

You can do it. You just have to change your perspective (yeah i know easier said than done!)
  • Belenmc
    Belenmc Posts: 15
    Options
    Do you reward yourself? I've lost a stone doing weightwatchers and with the point system you had leeway to go a bit crazy sometimes. So every saturday I have a curry. I love it and even though it has gazillions of calories and if I didn't have it I would lose weight faster, it actually makes me lose weight because I'm more likely to stick to it at other times knowing I can always have a little square of chocolate or a piece of cake in moderation. (I have a very sweet tooth).

I think you need to find ways to make your exercise enjoyable. Do it first thing in the morning so when you go to work is done and dusted with, or change the routines, classes etc often. Get better music, etc..but you need to find something that works for you so you start seeing the exercise as a treat, not a punishment. I know a treat is probably too much, but even if you hate the actual work out, learn to love how you feel later for example, that "lovely" ache you get that means you are getting fitter!. Focus on the times when you can see a difference, for example, when you change a quilt cover and realise that was really hard work is much easier because you arms are toned and really really enjoy those moments.

If you make it too hard for yourself, to the point where you are miserable, the most likely outcome is that you get fed up and put all the weight back on, because you "deserve" it. does this make sense?
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    you don't have to completely cut out your fav. foods, just eat less of them, and not all the time. And when u know u are having something especially fattening, do a little extra cardio or whatever work out you do. If you feel like you are punishing yourself and depriving yourself of things, it's going to be hard to stick with. I eat steak, but I only eat a half of one, and have salad or other veggies
  • maranatha777
    Options
    I started out hating exercise with a passion. I detest going to the gym and I am too intimidated to use the free weights with all the "fit" people over there. However, I found a program that I love, and that is Turbofire. It's a mix of dance/kickboxing and I can do it at home. I have bought a couple of hand weight and looked up a regimen for weight lifting for women. I still find the weight lifting more like a chore but it helps if I get my husband to do it with me and listen to some music.

As for the eating healthier.... this is something that I struggle with the most. I hate almost all foods that are considered good for you (anything green, cottage cheese, fish, etc.) I like salty, fried and spicy. I definately feel what you are saying. I'm still working on finding "good for me" foods that I can enjoy and maybe one day crave to eat.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Me and exercise you to have a love/hate relationship. I loved to hate it. After being asked everytime I went to the doctor if I had started exercising, and getting the lecture that I needed to, I finally started. You really have to find something you enjoy. I can't afford a gym membership. So I do water aerobics, walk or exercise video's at home. To change it up my cable also has exercise programs that I can do. And don't look at it as a diet. It is a lifestyle change. Many people break their diets or only diet for a short time. Since I have changed my eating habits I feel so much better. I still indulge once in a while per my doctor. He said you can't give up everything. Have your fried cheese balls and ranch once in a while. And no reason you can't enjoy a steak now and then. Moderation is the key. You can do this.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Buy a bike :-))
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've felt that way in the past, but luckily don't now. I think part of it is that I really committed to a lifestyle change and I'm not going to put that much energy into hating something I will do forever.

I live in a rural area too. I'd suggest - pick something moderate at first - like walking. Walking burns calories - but you can look at nature, or take the dog with you - helps with stress. If you don't like walking, just keep trying things until you find something you don't hate. Hula hooping, or belly dance videos, or Zumba, or a bootcamp class, or the Couch to 5k program (I found to my complete shock that I love running now), Pilates, swimming, trampoline, roller skating, biking, calestenics in your living room. What-ever. Just do SOMETHING.

Good luck.