I absolutely HATE dieting/exercise...

Options

Replies

• mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say at least you don't have walk/hunt for your food. REALLY?! Does that in any way relate to the ease of getting all the really bad for you things? Fast food the healthier the more expensive! Vending machines filled with chips (my biggest weakness-salty things).
    Sure at least it's not forever-ago-BC and I'm a hunter and gatherer, because being in my twenties in Midwest America I can really grasp that concept.
    By all means be blunt but be realistic!

I do have Netflix. I do try to do the Yoga/Pilates stuff. But without someone there to watch my form, I'm afraid I'm not actually doing it right.

I have Kettlebells & Jillian Michaels.

You don't have FITNESS CLASSES at your gym? Weird.

I go to Curves. I do not have a gym membership because from past experience there are rude jerks there that make comments like "just getting around to your New Year's resolution"? Or "hey how about you run to McDonald's and let us get our real workouts in". So NO I don't have "Fitness Classes" I have circuit weight training. Yeah... really weird...

That's terrible. No one should say those things! Have you tried a locally owned ladies gym. I find I feel most at home in a small gym with other women, and generally they are all at about the same fitness level as me. The one i attend even has Zumba classes and personal trainers (all women)... you might could ask around for reccomendations.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    if I thought I could never have an icecream cone again I dont think I could do this you have to have what you love there wouldnt be much point to life otherwise I really hated running with a vengence all my life 3 months ago I started back at the gym I had gone to 168 lbs at 5 foot 2 thats way too heavy I started running for 20 secs and it was killing me but I kept trying then I got to a minute felt I achieved something now I can run for 20 minutes I would never have thought I could it now I still dont like running and I never will but Ill do it because I can and I never thought I could Im at 144lbs now with this feeling I can stop now Ive done ok and this is where Ive fallen down all my life so its a continuous journey but it has to be doable no point in killing yourself at something you hate find what you do and keep it up
  • amandagyeoman
    amandagyeoman Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm from a really small town area. So I joined Curves as a jumping off point. I need to build strength. Get an understanding of my muscles and be supervised. They offered all of that. So I am grateful for what I'm getting from it. I am just not thrilled with the fact I have to do it.

Part of my problem is I am a smoker. But I have noticed the more I exercise, the less I smoke. Big plus. Especially to get to running.

However, I have joint issues. I'm not sure if it's due to being out of shape (I'm sure at least part of it). Or if it's something related to the fact I don't do much dairy. So even when I go on walks, my hips hurt so bad for days. I don't mean overnight and into the next day, I mean almost a weeks worth of pain.

So I'm hoping by working out at Curves I'm reversing whatever harm I've done and can regain the ability to do those more leisure like exercises from home, like walking/running real distances.
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

Sounds like you want a magic pill.
    So, blunt but realistic. Suck it up already. Or don't. Lose weight and be more fit. Or don't. It's your life. Is the cheeseball worth how crappy you feel and potential medical problems or not? How about a cheeseball once and while or a bunch whenever you feel like it? Why do you feel like it? Maybe you need to think about the root of your weight issue. I mean that genuinely. If you fill a void with food, you will keep wanting too until you figure out why. I read "Women, Food and God" by Geneen Roth ...which, I didn't think was very well written, but it did get my brain moving in the right direction.

You know what else you'll probably hate? Feeling overweight and unhealthy. I know I didn't like it.

Let me be blunt. I don't want to do pills or fad diets. Don't assume. I feel like being healthier YES. If I didn't, I wouldn't force myself to do something I hate 5 flipping days a week.Oh and please don't push your religion on me, I'm talking health not joining a cult.

I know they were being rude, and you got defensive... but the comment about "joining a cult" can be offensive to even the nice people offering helpful advice... I don't get why you'd say that and alienate people that may be willing to give you helpful advice.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    You gotta HATE being fat/overweight more than you hate correct diet/exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amandagyeoman
    Options

Sounds like you want a magic pill.
    So, blunt but realistic. Suck it up already. Or don't. Lose weight and be more fit. Or don't. It's your life. Is the cheeseball worth how crappy you feel and potential medical problems or not? How about a cheeseball once and while or a bunch whenever you feel like it? Why do you feel like it? Maybe you need to think about the root of your weight issue. I mean that genuinely. If you fill a void with food, you will keep wanting too until you figure out why. I read "Women, Food and God" by Geneen Roth ...which, I didn't think was very well written, but it did get my brain moving in the right direction.

You know what else you'll probably hate? Feeling overweight and unhealthy. I know I didn't like it.

Let me be blunt. I don't want to do pills or fad diets. Don't assume. I feel like being healthier YES. If I didn't, I wouldn't force myself to do something I hate 5 flipping days a week.Oh and please don't push your religion on me, I'm talking health not joining a cult.

I know they were being rude, and you got defensive... but the comment about "joining a cult" can be offensive to even the nice people offering helpful advice... I don't get why you'd say that and alienate people that may be willing to give you helpful advice.

It's called frustration. I'm frustrated with the attitude coming at me. I need help yes. I don't need help in faith. I need help in health.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    You gotta HATE being fat/overweight more than you hate correct diet/exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I do. That's why I'm sticking with it even though I hate it.

P.S. Patrick Willis is the man.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am very much so in the same seat as you. But this is why we're here!
    It's why we need to lose weight!

Honestly, I still eat what I want (for the most part). I just log EVERYTHING. If I'm over, I'm over and I quit eating that day.
    This helps me eat smarter, but not necessarily "diet".
    I still go out to eat, a lot. I just research the menu a little more so I know what to expect and what to avoid.

Cleaning is considered an excercise on here. I don't have to pay for a gym membership and my apartment looks better.

I also have begun to take my dog on walks. They're small walks, just three or four blocks in the morning and when I get home from work...sometimes even before bed. We both benefit from it.

Youtube has TONS of workout videos. From five minutes to an hour and a half. You can stream them on your phone while you make dinner.

You'll either figure out what works for you or you'll be another person on here that slowly but surely gives up and stays unhappy with your body.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Can I be blunt?

You just need to get over it or accept the fact that you won't ever have the body or athletic performance you desire. When the psychological need for you to be healthy outrides the need for you to comfort yourself with food or an easy life you'll find it a lot easier and find creative solutions to your predicament.

It could be worse though.

You could have to walk over 20 miles just to get access to clean water and only have the luxury of eating one small meal a day.

That would truly suck.

yes.
    this.

and, who says you can't eat steak? i've had steak 3 times in the 2 weeks and my body loved every last bite.

find an exercise you like. after a while, it might just turn into love. set up mini-goals, and work towards them. goals always drive me to work harder.

i hated exercising and loved eating really crappy food. i found zumba and fell in love. zumba was kinda like my gateway drug into all other exercises. eventually, i tapered down my zumba and added more resistance training and now my body gets really antsy and pissy when i don't get enough exercise in during the week. the food choices took a bit longer. i focus on getting enough protein (STEAK! oh and chicken, turkey, fish...1g per lb of bodyweight) and everything else kinda falls into place. if you LOVE a particular food, don't cut it out, just save it for your cheat meal/day that week. i found that when my body started to change, it wanted better foods and i don't crave the starchy carby goodness that i used to DIE FOR in the past.

it's a process. some people are born LOVING exercise but most aren't. you've spend your entire life being mostly sedentary, your body's gonna take some adjusting before exercise becomes habit. it gets easier, i promise.

keep it up!
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I felt that way when I first started. But I quickly learned I was being realistic. And whether it was too few calories or just my sheer hatred, I was miserable, I hated every day, and I wasn't losing weight.

When I eased up a bit and started eating 1,450 calories, it got better.

Now I'm close to goal, and I'm not crushed if I don't lose. I have no problem having some naughty days. I also don't work out every day. I just bike ride. I'm not terribly exciting or devoted I guess, but I refuse to give up the foods I love and either work them in, or take a naughty day. (Like all you can eat sushi on Sunday. I didn't even log it. My husband did. He ate 2,700 calories!)

I worked harder in the beginning, but I'm still more fit now than ever. But between my busy life and my love of food, I had to find a balance.

Feel free to add me. I've been there, and even though it's better, I still struggle. (Like the block of fudge I ate yesterday. Crap.)
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    You need to find an exercise you enjoy...like one that doesn't really feel like exercising. Do you enjoy hiking? Long outdoor walks?
    You don't always have to go to the gym or run til you drop to get a decent burn.

As far as dieting goes, you should still be able to enjoy food you like however food like fries is really not going to do your body much good. Instead of eating "light" foods I would encourage you to make full hearty meals with a high quality protein. They may be slightly higher in calorie than traditional "diet" foods but it will keep you full for a very long time. Of course this will only work with a little (not even a whole lot) of will power but it has worked wonders for me! I never eat a skimpy salad for dinner anymore (although I love salads don't get me wrong!)

Lastly, just think of what you really want. Do you REALLY want to lose weight? Because you really need to want it or it won't happen. Maybe it isn't for you. Personally, I think anyone CAN do it but only you can motivate yourself. In the end, what will you be more glad you did- eat the fries, or lose the weight?
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say at least you don't have walk/hunt for your food. REALLY?! Does that in any way relate to the ease of getting all the really bad for you things? Fast food the healthier the more expensive! Vending machines filled with chips (my biggest weakness-salty things).
    Sure at least it's not forever-ago-BC and I'm a hunter and gatherer, because being in my twenties in Midwest America I can really grasp that concept.
    By all means be blunt but be realistic!

I do have Netflix. I do try to do the Yoga/Pilates stuff. But without someone there to watch my form, I'm afraid I'm not actually doing it right.

I have Kettlebells & Jillian Michaels.

You don't have FITNESS CLASSES at your gym? Weird.

I go to Curves. I do not have a gym membership because from past experience there are rude jerks there that make comments like "just getting around to your New Year's resolution"? Or "hey how about you run to McDonald's and let us get our real workouts in". So NO I don't have "Fitness Classes" I have circuit weight training. Yeah... really weird...

That's terrible. No one should say those things! Have you tried a locally owned ladies gym. I find I feel most at home in a small gym with other women, and generally they are all at about the same fitness level as me. The one i attend even has Zumba classes and personal trainers (all women)... you might could ask around for reccomendations.

My goodness. That would be enough motivation for me to start lifting heavy - just so I could return and junk punch them.... with a huge ol' weight in my hand.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    then you're my lost twin.
  • LaDonnaF
    LaDonnaF Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor to discuss your joint pain? Do you take a calcium supplement? Severe pain as you describe should really not be happening after a walk I don't think.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Dieting and exercise is an addiction you have to build. Unfortunately its not instant like heroin. You do it consistently and after a couple months, you take a break- and you realize that you feel sluggish, restless, climbing the walls, scattered, unfocused, pissed off, agitated, less able to cope with stress, sleep quality drops and sexual desire drops. You walk in circles in the kitchen wondering

WTF DID I BECOME THAT GIRL? THAT GIRL THAT NEEDS IT?

Then you smile quietly to yourself an realize that you love it. Then you dare someone to just try and take away your fitness time. You'll take that sucker down.

Its a mindset that BECOMES, not a state of mind that you just put on.

Do not give up unless you werent serious about wanting this life to begin with.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    For the joint issues, get professionally fitted for shoes. There's a very high chance that a good investment in the right shoes will fix you right up.

I'm sorry you're so frustrated. I hate going to the gym, as well. It is a chore. But I want to love my body. Same as cleaning my house. What a big frickin' chore. But I love to live in a clean house.

I am fortunate that I love to run. I discovered that I love it at the young age of 22. However, there are still pockets of time throughout any year that it's all a chore. I set mini goals during those times. I tell myself "just stay at the gym for 20 minutes." Sometimes, that's all I do. I often exceed my goals.
  • kalawhon
    kalawhon Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    WHAT SHE SAID!! Great comment and this is soo true! Change the way you think about it, and remember you are doing this for you, and you alone!!
    I think you need to change your attitude towards working out. Stop focusing on how much you hate it and just learn to love it. I used to hate running but now I look forward to my 9 mile run. The more you moan the worse you feel, like when you're ill!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Of course! I hate having a restricted diet. Most days I hate exercise because it makes me feel like crap but... the day AFTER the exercise makes me feel WONDERFUL. And the restricted diet actually makes me feel good in the long run.

So in the moment it feels crappy but in the long term it feels wonderful. :) Focus on that.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Dieting and exercise is an addiction you have to build. Unfortunately its not instant like heroin. You do it consistently and after a couple months, you take a break- and you realize that you feel sluggish, restless, climbing the walls, scattered, unfocused, pissed off, agitated, less able to cope with stress, sleep quality drops and sexual desire drops. You walk in circles in the kitchen wondering

WTF DID I BECOME THAT GIRL? THAT GIRL THAT NEEDS IT?

Then you smile quietly to yourself an realize that you love it. Then you dare someone to just try and take away your fitness time. You'll take that sucker down.

Its a mindset that BECOMES, not a state of mind that you just put on.

Do not give up unless you werent serious about wanting this life to begin with.
    i'm totally that girl that needs it.
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    UsedToBeHusky: I did see your comment and thank you. I'm just increasingly frustrated with these comments bashing me. How can anyone come on this website and feel intimidated by someone else, if we are all on here for the same reason. Why do people who seem to have their diet/exercise in check have to make those of us who don't feel dumb or lesser than them??!

I didn't see a lot of bashing. Some comments were blunt and direct and others not very helpful. Still, when you ask others for their opinions, you will get them (especially on the internet).