I absolutely HATE dieting/exercise...

Options

Replies

• lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who constantly feels like this is a punishment? The feeling that I've lost that freedom to eat my beloved fried cheese balls and ranch, or a nice steak? I leave work every day and go work out. Yes, I've just started like a little over a week ago, working out again. I have heard the "you'll feel different when you see results". But this isn't my first go at this. I feel like I leave my job, to go to another job (lifting/cardio). Only to reap no rewards of foods I once enjoyed because I need to be eating clean. I have my reasons for doing this - my health, my very supportive boyfriend. But everything just sucks when 4pm rolls around and I'm actually dreading leaving work because I have to go exercise. Yes I know I should find something I really enjoy. I live in a very rural area. It's at least an hour to civilization. My options are limited.

I just can't help but to feel like I can't be the only one that doesn't truly enjoy this. But I'll keep doing it alone if I have to...

Somebody somewhere along this lengthy thread mentioned Leslie Sansone's walk at home DVD's. I own about 6 of her DVD's and love them all! I highly recommend them!
  • amandagyeoman
    amandagyeoman Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Sounds like you want a magic pill.
    So, blunt but realistic. Suck it up already. Or don't. Lose weight and be more fit. Or don't. It's your life. Is the cheeseball worth how crappy you feel and potential medical problems or not? How about a cheeseball once and while or a bunch whenever you feel like it? Why do you feel like it? Maybe you need to think about the root of your weight issue. I mean that genuinely. If you fill a void with food, you will keep wanting too until you figure out why. I read "Women, Food and God" by Geneen Roth ...which, I didn't think was very well written, but it did get my brain moving in the right direction.

You know what else you'll probably hate? Feeling overweight and unhealthy. I know I didn't like it.

Let me be blunt. I don't want to do pills or fad diets. Don't assume. I feel like being healthier YES. If I didn't, I wouldn't force myself to do something I hate 5 flipping days a week.Oh and please don't push your religion on me, I'm talking health not joining a cult.

I know they were being rude, and you got defensive... but the comment about "joining a cult" can be offensive to even the nice people offering helpful advice... I don't get why you'd say that and alienate people that may be willing to give you helpful advice.

It's called frustration. I'm frustrated with the attitude coming at me. I need help yes. I don't need help in faith. I need help in health.

1. Don't judge a book by its title. My ex-therapist recommended that book to me and I'm atheist/agnostic. It's not about a Christian god as you think of it, just as a higher power. It could be anything. The trees, the wind, Johnny Depp, who cares. There were even complaints on the reviews on Amazon from Christians that it was not Christian enough.

2. If your hips hurt that much from walking, you should get it checked out. There are therapies that can help with this. Physical therapy, cortisone shots, whatever. Get it checked out.

3. This is going to sound hokey but whatever. Whenever I do home workout videos, I feel like the people in the video are there in the room with me. It sounds goofy but you kinda have to get "lost" in the video. That is how I don't feel so alone. Try it.

Thanks for the tips! The video thing doesn't sound hokey! That's a really good idea, might make me have more fun with it!!! Thanks again!
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You have to start eating more calories, 500 is not going to do it. I look at dieting & exercise as a life style change, as with me too, I have health issues that demand I do something about it. I eat about a 1000 calories a day, feel good about my self, have started walking every morning before work and kids are up. It makes me feel great. And I can see the difference in my attuide and my energy level. There are so many different "exercises" and food choice's out there. Just have to find the one that fits you. Hang in there!!!

I eat the recommended amount on MFP. I just try to subtract 500 from that and my that my goal between what I eat and my exercise.

The number MFP gives you IS your net calorie goal, meaning it's already calculated the deficit for you. If you subtract another 500 from that, you're eating way less than MFP has suggested. This is what inputting your exercise calories is for. You log your exercise and what you eat and strive for your net calorie goal each day. Maybe that wasn't made very clear in the sign up instructions. If you're eating less than 1,000 a day before exercise, I can certainly understand why you hate this so much! Eat! And good luck. Keep going! It does get better.

ETA: Man, my post sounds confusing after reading it again. In other words, eat what MFP tells you to eat. Don't perform any additional calculations on that number. That is, unless, after you've lost your first 20 lbs you stall and you need to change things up. Then eating more (yes, more) might be in order.
  • StudioMaid
    StudioMaid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Don't give up the foods you love just eat them less often and smaller portions. I am at the point where I look forward to working out because of the feeling I get afterwards. I feel tired, yes, but it's a good tired. I have so many people that are supporting me and I have a sister who is working very hard to improve herself also. I have found out that it's all in the attitude that you take about it too. There have been many days I just don't want to workout but do it anyway and was glad I did. I'm a diabetic and want to keep my body whole and healthy. Someday I will have grandchildren and would like to see them grow. Myself and my family is why I do this.
    I know you can do it just push on and don't forget to treat yourself once in a while. It's not going to hurt just don't over indulge.
    Good luck, I'm rooting for you. :happy:
  • U2Amie
    U2Amie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    anytime i eat anything high in fat/calories, i remember how hard it was to burn off that many calories at the gym..and it helps (not always, but sometimes) prevent me from eating it. or i will eat only half.

it's not the journey, it's the destination. don't look at the struggles and let downs of not getting to eat your favorite foods daily. look at the results you will get in the end if you watch what you eat. that should be motivation to eat right.
  • msshiraz
    msshiraz Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I haven't read thru all the posts- but I know where you are. You said it yourself, you found a program you enjoyed, but they left. Zumba is in my personal opinion one of the best ways to learn to love cardio, learn to dance, and get fit in a community type environment. You'll make fitness buddies in the class who will push you- and you will push, because you will love it. Summer is almost over so glad you'll be able to get back to the live classes.
    The thing is, you (we- not just you) have choices- all choices lead to consequence in life. Are you happy with the consequences of your previous lifestyle choice? The old term, "a moment on the lips- a lifetime on the hips, (or butt or gut)"- is something you need to ingrain into your mind- it is mind over matter. And it will take time to make those changes.
    I used to love, love, love fried food!!! It seriously makes me ill now to eat it- even though I am totally in love with french fries- its a weakness for sure, I get a bad stomach ache if I have more than one or 2. That is my body saying- what the heck, we don't want this crap in our system- and we'll make you pay for doing it!

By the way- I have lost over 80 lbs doing Zumba- love it so much that I now teach it 8-10 days a week! But, strongly recommend cross training including weight training for maximum results- now that I have ranted- I will ready the other posts and say- oh yeah, I should have said that too! :) It gets easier, it gets better, and when you have your successes, such as clothing too big, (for me, getting on an airplane and not needing a seat belt extendor
    I almost cried)- those successes will really outweigh the temporary enjoyment of foods that should be consumed in moderation
  • msshiraz
    Options
    Also- you may really be truly hungry- those dings and whistles are there for a reason- so eat something- just keep it light. Also recommend you look at your water intake, I haven't seen your diary, but often our bodies signal hunger when we are dehydrated
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Steak doesn't have a lot of calories.

I eat anything I like, just not much of some things. More importantly, if it doesn't taste good, I don't put in my mouth. Why waste calories on bad food?

My favorite foods have really strong, explosively delicious flavors. And you eat just a little of them. The first bite is always the best.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You need an attitude adjustment. I don't think of myself as on a diet. Diets are things that you "cheat" on; go off an on. I think of myself as having a food plan and I plan and eat foods that I like, that also happen to be nutritious and filling. Also I don't " cheat"; I make choices. If I want a piece of strawberry shortcake I have it and accommodate it into my day's plan.

These days there are lots of low sugar and fat foods that are not "diet" foods. Companies are coming around to know that people are doing things like reading labels.

Also, on a different vein - do you have friends on MFP? Having friends helps you keep motivated because you start to gain a sense of camaraderie and eating foods that help you lose weight becomes more fun.

I would hate to have your attitude because I would fail.

To be blunlt about it, start looking at your life as a glass half full rather than half empty. There are tons of exercise programs - public, private, DVDs, dance exercise, etc. If you don't like the gym don't go. Find something else to do that doesnt involve food.

I bought a Fitbit and am having a great time challenging myself to walk more, take the stairs instead of the elevator to my apartment. I love to see the steps add up.

Everyone else has given you good advice. If you can't find some inspiration in this thread, it's your fault.

I wish you well
  • msshiraz
    Options
    Wow- ok, so all here don't want anyone to tell them why they are not succeeding they want to vent about the fact that they hate exercise and miss their unhealthy foods and are completely miserable?
    This is a message board for improving your health- you have to realize that we all have been there, and we have seen that light at the end of that tunnel.
    While your killing time making excuses about why not- realize you are killing your body faster with every bad choice you make. Exercise is something we all need, not just for our bodies but for our minds!
    Don't like to sweat? Really- I love it!! I teach fitness classes, and by end of class I look at my arms and they are drenched- along with the rest of my body- and its freakin awesome!!!! I gave it all I had, and my body gave it back- never a workout do I regret the time I spent doing it after!
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    i enjoy my steaks and my splurges. most of the time it stays within my calories, some days not...but I get results. I have started to enjoy the way I eat and I look forward to most of my exercise but still have those days. Feel free to friend me, check out my diary, whatever. your biggest issue I think is changing your outlook/mindset
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Just have to figure out what is important and go from there
  • LeellenMack
    LeellenMack Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Beaniekins
    Beaniekins Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hate when people say at least you don't have walk/hunt for your food. REALLY?! Does that in any way relate to the ease of getting all the really bad for you things? Fast food the healthier the more expensive! Vending machines filled with chips (my biggest weakness-salty things).
    Sure at least it's not forever-ago-BC and I'm a hunter and gatherer, because being in my twenties in Midwest America I can really grasp that concept.
    By all means be blunt but be realistic!
    I have no one to do these things with. Which is depressing and UN motivating.

I hear you, girl! I, too, love all the salty things like chips and fresh fries. And one of my fears in doing this was that eating would no longer be "fun." Yes, I know food is fuel and I know I haven't had a really healthy relationship with food, but you know what? I still want eating to be fun! And man, I hear you about exercising. I haaaaaate it. No one will ever convince me that endorphins are a real thing.

I think your last comment is key...cause what has really changed things for me is having someone to do this with. A person that I can meet up with, who helps me plan meals, think of ways to not feel deprived, talks me through the low moments and cheers me on the whole way. When I tried to do this alone...it was like setting myself up for failure. Some people go it alone, but I'm not one of them and maybe you're not either. If at possible, find someone to do this with! MFP is great but there is nothing like having a "real life" coach. If you have to and you can afford it, I'd even hire a "life coach" who specializes in weight loss/fitness.

Aside from that, what everyone else is saying....try looking at it differently (easier said than done!!), don't deprive yourself of things you love, change up your exercise routine. Maybe exercise 3 times a day for 10 minutes each? You can do anything for 10 minutes. Even little changes like...park at the furthest point from the store and walk/jog in. Stairs instead of elevators, jumping jacks during commercials...think outside the box.

But I hear you. I really do. It's hard. It's not fun. And let's be honest, for a lot of us, this just plain sucks. Give yourself a lot of credit for what you're doing, because you deserve it!
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You say you live in a rural area, is there a place nearby that has horses? Horseback riding can be a great workout, and SO much fun. You won't feel like you're working out, but the next day your butt. thighs and abs will tell you differently!
  • toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i feel the same! you are suppose to enjoy life but sometimes i'm so tired of counting calories and feel guilty when eating junk food... and when i don't workout i feel guilty again........
  • Beaniekins
    Beaniekins Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who constantly feels like this is a punishment? The feeling that I've lost that freedom to eat my beloved fried cheese balls and ranch, or a nice steak? I leave work every day and go work out. Yes, I've just started like a little over a week ago, working out again. I have heard the "you'll feel different when you see results". But this isn't my first go at this. I feel like I leave my job, to go to another job (lifting/cardio). Only to reap no rewards of foods I once enjoyed because I need to be eating clean. I have my reasons for doing this - my health, my very supportive boyfriend. But everything just sucks when 4pm rolls around and I'm actually dreading leaving work because I have to go exercise. Yes I know I should find something I really enjoy. I live in a very rural area. It's at least an hour to civilization. My options are limited.

I just can't help but to feel like I can't be the only one that doesn't truly enjoy this. But I'll keep doing it alone if I have to...

There are days I don't like this AT ALL! Sometimes I workout and I get that high you get and other times I workout and I'm almost in tears. I have felt just about every emotion and then some.

I know a lot of people have said it but find something you like. I've tried lots of things and while a lot of people swear by the Biggest Loser workouts I HATE THEM! The things I really like are the Leslie Sansone Boot Camp dvd and her Burn Body Fat dvd. I also really like walking. It's my time to destress and just clear my head. These things are my staples but from time to time I'll throw in swimming or something like that.

As far as your food, budget it! I aim for 85/15. There are things I'm just not willing to give up! You want your cheese things? Eat half the portion, eat half the steak and save the rest for your lunch the next day! Don't punish yourself because that is the fastest route to failure.

I really had to give myself a reality check. I am an all or none person and I felt like if I didn't do everything PERFECTLY then there was no point. I've really been working at this for a few months and I'm down 35lbs (a lot of weight still to go) but in that time I've had dinner out with the girls/gone to the movies/been to bbqs/ so on and so forth. The weight is slowly but surely coming off and I can live with how it's coming off. I don't feel like the food is a punishment or that it has any control over me anymore.

So, keep working on yourself one step at a time. Healthy long term weight loss is a slow process and yes that sucks. I want results OVERNIGHT! Unfortunately my body doesn't care about what I want lol. Make one change at a time that YOU CAN live with!

I think you hit it on the head. I feel like I'm not doing it perfectly so I'm doomed. Thank you. I'm really going to keep that in mind.

I can ABSOLUTELY relate to this! The feeling that you have to do it "right" or "perfectly" or it's not worth doing at all! But then you come to realize there's no "perfect" way to do it and I find that frustrating as hell!! And my ADHD brain is not built to look at the long-term, big picture. I want stuff done immediately! If I don't eat a piece of cake or a bag of chips, I want to see immediate results from that decision. And it suuuuucks that I don't. (That's where my life coach comes in handy!) At the end of the week, I try to detail whatever success I've had. Whether it was not eating late at night, or braving the mall food court and not eating french fries or working out 5 minutes more than I usually do...allow yourself to feel good about the things you're doing well, even if you're not doing them as well as you think you should.
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm not about to read 9 pages of replies, so hopefully this isn't a duplicate, but to the ORIGINAL POSTER...

Perhaps look in to getting some home videos (Walmart, Walgreens, Target or Amazon). My favorites are Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (great for beginners), Turbo Fire, Insanity or P90X - even good old Billy Blanks' kickboxing (the name escapes me now).

For most you need either NO WEIGHTS, or some light weights to start, then you can gradually add more as you get stronger.

I don't love working out but I do it 6 times a week, because I've basically told myself this is life, just slap a grin on your face and go! And who'da thunk, it's actually starting to grow on me :)

All the best.
  • shannonhairr
    shannonhairr Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just finished the Couch to 5K program. I hated running, couldn't run and I was able to do the program. It really works! On Saturday I ran my first entire 5K. It was hard but I did it and was so proud of myself afterwards.

Keep at it - you can do it!!!
  • PS2CR
    PS2CR Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    No one will ever convince me that endorphins are a real thing.

This probably won't convince you, but yes...they're quite real. ;) I used to experience their high almost weekly after certain 1.5 to 2-hr. cardio workouts at the rink in my twenties...I remember driving home at night with the windows rolled down singing at the top of my lungs. ;D Nature's own healthy high. Totally addictive. And I had endorphin highs even at age 50, when I was still healthy and fit, and still doing all the spins and jumps I did in my twenties.

Sure do miss those days of being so completely fit...but that said, I know I always feel especially relaxed and happy after a workout where I've pushed myself. And who knows...with this MFP program, I may get more of that feeling back than I realized possible. I'm thinking positive...