I absolutely HATE dieting/exercise...

Options

Replies

• dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Amanda, I apologize for offending you when I asked what clean eating means to you. It was not my intention to offend you.

I, personally, could not overhaul my entire life in regards to clean eating and daily exercise at one time. Some people can do it and I really admire them for being able to do it. If that is what you are doing, kudos to you for sticking to it even though you hate it.

I, personally, could not do what I am doing if I could not eat normally but in smaller portions. I also hated exercise when I started so I started out with exercise disguised as fun and eventually was able to get the endorphins flowing. Now I don't mind it as much and it doesn't have to be disguised as a fun activity.
  • herdthinner
    herdthinner Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who constantly feels like this is a punishment? The feeling that I've lost that freedom to eat my beloved fried cheese balls and ranch, or a nice steak? I leave work every day and go work out. Yes, I've just started like a little over a week ago, working out again. I have heard the "you'll feel different when you see results". But this isn't my first go at this. I feel like I leave my job, to go to another job (lifting/cardio). Only to reap no rewards of foods I once enjoyed because I need to be eating clean. I have my reasons for doing this - my health, my very supportive boyfriend. But everything just sucks when 4pm rolls around and I'm actually dreading leaving work because I have to go exercise. Yes I know I should find something I really enjoy. I live in a very rural area. It's at least an hour to civilization. My options are limited.

I just can't help but to feel like I can't be the only one that doesn't truly enjoy this. But I'll keep doing it alone if I have to...

Take heart. I've almost started a thread like this a dozen times. Just over a year in and only 43 pounds later, I'm STILL trying to decide whether to write an "Introduce Myself" post. If you ever see a post there called "Musings of a Misanthrope," you'll know that I finally went for it! And also that a lot of it would be me whining about not wanting to exercise formally (I refer only to myself as whining, not you).

Based on this post and others, you appear to want workout partner(s). I'll confess that I'm your polar opposite there. It would be easier to convince me to have a crown put in without novocaine than to convince me to formally exercise within eyesight of anyone. And I do mean anyone. Just ask my mother.

My consummate, unadulterated, overwhelming and astounding levels of laziness are the main fuel for my loathing of formal exercise. If you've been noticing that I keep adding "formal" with "exercise," yay. It's because exercise is really only tolerable to me when it's spread out over an entire day. So, other than the Lazy *kitten* approach to weight loss that I've been taking so far - eating less - I confess that I have been Moving More, as well. Just not as much as I probably should. There really is no formal exercise that I've ever tried that I've enjoyed in the slightest. Not from lack of trying. My most recent attempt at it was buying that "30 Day Shred" thing, led by That Horrible Woman, and managed 6 days of it before my podiatrist, in treating my plantar fasciitis, happened to mention that my Achilles tendons - actually, ALL of my tendons, thanks to contributing medical factors - are "this close" to snapping at any moment. A bit of work to do on those before I can resume That Horrible Woman's endless jumping jacks, it seems. Before that was martial arts, Billy Blanks, Jane Fonda, etc etc. The only exercise I regret giving up was martial arts (sanctioned pummeling of people!), but those pesky contributing medical factors ultimately betrayed me, so I had to quit. Long story.

Moving More, then. The usual chestnuts of parking farther away from my destination, taking the stairs, walking or jog-walking to places, etc. I live close enough to the local cinema to walk, so if I want to see a movie, I have to walk to it. Same for dining out at the local eateries. Guilt (like about wasting gas) is pretty much my only defense against Laziness. Well, so far. I've been pondering getting a used rowing machine, thanks to its low impact nature, but I fear that my dislike of time clumped together for "working out" will ultimately snuff out my enthusiasm. Wish me luck!

Diet: I'm not fond of the word myself, because it connotes a temporary solution. Alas, sheer willpower is about the only thing keeping me eating the significantly smaller portions that I do, so I wish I could offer some advice/comfort about that. I lack satiety and always have. There is no amount of food I can eat and not still want more, even after a year of gradually reducing my intake. My WANTS have not diminished at all. Hence the need for sheer willpower. Every time I come across an article about the "obesity gene" that geneticists are tracking, I'm hoping to find a line about them starting human trials. No luck so far. I'd also insist that exercise does not produce endorphins for me, but my research has not panned out on that. It's just subjective in my case, I guess.
    I "went herbivore" ten years ago or so, but because I never actually stopped enjoying the taste of meat, it's a daily and near-constant struggle to not give in to that craving. Giving up meat didn't make a dent in my own health (that I can determine), but meat-eating is mean to those animals eaten, so that alone keeps me motivated. And thank goodness for those highly-processed, high-sodium, high-calorie meat substitutes! FTW!

Before I go, I'll state that, other than meat, which was way before any kind of weight loss effort, I haven't actually given up any foods that I like. There are certain foods that I eat much less frequently than before, or in much smaller portions, but never wholly given up. Those are the ones that I just can't find or make lower-cal versions of. Those are, um... what one would call binge foods for me. My only defense against them is to not have them anywhere near me.

So, remember: I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together. Keep your stick on the ice.
  • kafkat314
    Options
    tl&dr....but here are my .02 anyway. One thing that stood out too me was that you were aiming for -500 calories, but wrre hungry all the time. The calorie intake figured for us isn't maintenance, it's to lose weight. I completely understand the reasoning for aiming low, but maybe youre one of the ones (like me) who needs to eat every dang calorie that can be legally acquired. If I consistently are that low, I would be miserable. just a consideration.ymmv.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You need to contemplate what is important and what is not.

"To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear". - Buddha
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    But I can't shake that feeling that it's just a thankless job. I count my calories all day. I try to aim for -500 a day.

Dear God, didn't anybody read this?

NO WONDER YOU'RE MISERABLE.

Then again, perhaps I read that wrong.... Hope you were speaking of calorie deficit, and not NET intake.
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    It sucks but that doesn't mean it's vital. Exercising can come later, but dieting (eating clean and healthy) is key to a healthy life. Easier said than done, I know.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Moderation.

That is all.
  • dotmango
    dotmango Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Is there any chance you'd love running? I honestly hate the gym and I won't go back till minus ten degrees celcius, except for weights, but running makes me happy. It makes the world as beautiful as it can be. And I started slow, one block a run, one a walk, then two a run, one a walk, you get the picture. I'm still slow but I do a solid 3 k before a break to stretch now. You might love running.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who constantly feels like this is a punishment? The feeling that I've lost that freedom to eat my beloved fried cheese balls and ranch, or a nice steak? I leave work every day and go work out. Yes, I've just started like a little over a week ago, working out again. I have heard the "you'll feel different when you see results". But this isn't my first go at this. I feel like I leave my job, to go to another job (lifting/cardio). Only to reap no rewards of foods I once enjoyed because I need to be eating clean. I have my reasons for doing this - my health, my very supportive boyfriend. But everything just sucks when 4pm rolls around and I'm actually dreading leaving work because I have to go exercise. Yes I know I should find something I really enjoy. I live in a very rural area. It's at least an hour to civilization. My options are limited.

I just can't help but to feel like I can't be the only one that doesn't truly enjoy this. But I'll keep doing it alone if I have to...

You can still eat your cheese balls, ranch and steak. Just make sure they fit into your calorie goals. Though if you want to 'look good naked' you sadly will have to put the work in when exercising. :frown:
  • meowkapow
    meowkapow Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You've gotta find your motivation. What do you want to acheive and what are you willing to give up for it? If you don't know or they don't match up (you want a hard body but you don't want to put in the work) you're going to have a hard time. For me, I want to be fit enough to do the Everest Base Camp trek. When I am exercising, I imagine how hard it will be and that I better get used to hard work now and not be surprised later LOL
  • amandagyeoman
    amandagyeoman Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm not about to read 9 pages of replies, so hopefully this isn't a duplicate, but to the ORIGINAL POSTER...

Perhaps look in to getting some home videos (Walmart, Walgreens, Target or Amazon). My favorites are Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (great for beginners), Turbo Fire, Insanity or P90X - even good old Billy Blanks' kickboxing (the name escapes me now).

For most you need either NO WEIGHTS, or some light weights to start, then you can gradually add more as you get stronger.

I don't love working out but I do it 6 times a week, because I've basically told myself this is life, just slap a grin on your face and go! And who'da thunk, it's actually starting to grow on me :)

All the best.

I do hit up Amazon frequently for equipment/DVDs. I lack the motivation to do them alone. But I'm working on it. For the last week I have done Curves circuit training M-F. I've looked into the CouchTo5K and I'm going to start that tonight AFTER Curves. I hope I can grow to be more like you and it will grown on me :) Thank you for the feedback!
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    I just finished the Couch to 5K program. I hated running, couldn't run and I was able to do the program. It really works! On Saturday I ran my first entire 5K. It was hard but I did it and was so proud of myself afterwards.

Keep at it - you can do it!!!

Thank you!!! That's just what I wanted to hear :D I'm going to start it tonight!!! My dream is to get back to running, but enjoy it this time! Thank you so much for posting!
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    Amanda, I apologize for offending you when I asked what clean eating means to you. It was not my intention to offend you.

I, personally, could not overhaul my entire life in regards to clean eating and daily exercise at one time. Some people can do it and I really admire them for being able to do it. If that is what you are doing, kudos to you for sticking to it even though you hate it.

I, personally, could not do what I am doing if I could not eat normally but in smaller portions. I also hated exercise when I started so I started out with exercise disguised as fun and eventually was able to get the endorphins flowing. Now I don't mind it as much and it doesn't have to be disguised as a fun activity.

I apologize for my reaction - I just felt like I put myself out there yesterday and people were stepping on me for admitting this is difficult for me. Starting over. But virtually from scratch. There was a lot of insults thrown my way, I guess I got to the point where I assumed everyone was just picking on me.

I'm trying to find ways to LOVE IT. But as far as food, the good bits I absorbed yesterday suggested exactly what you're saying. I'm going to eat what I want, but in real MODERATION. Which is going to be a test in itself. Granted I haven't had cheeseballs in months (I'm not a fries kinda girl - Wisconsin is my mecca!) but restraining myself from eating a whole basket alone... well... that's a true challenge LOL

I'm a work in PROGRESS!
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    But I can't shake that feeling that it's just a thankless job. I count my calories all day. I try to aim for -500 a day.

Dear God, didn't anybody read this?

NO WONDER YOU'RE MISERABLE.

Then again, perhaps I read that wrong.... Hope you were speaking of calorie deficit, and not NET intake.

Oh no! I'm not starving myself!!! I mean MFP suggests a Net of 1900 I try to aim for 1400. But someone told me I should stick to the 1900 as my goal :)
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    Is there any chance you'd love running? I honestly hate the gym and I won't go back till minus ten degrees celcius, except for weights, but running makes me happy. It makes the world as beautiful as it can be. And I started slow, one block a run, one a walk, then two a run, one a walk, you get the picture. I'm still slow but I do a solid 3 k before a break to stretch now. You might love running.

I'm going to start the CouchTo5K tonight! :) After my Curves.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    You need to contemplate what is important and what is not.

"To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear". - Buddha

This is the plain and simple truth. I suppose I'm not looking deeply enough at what I'm really trying to accomplish.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    You've gotta find your motivation. What do you want to acheive and what are you willing to give up for it? If you don't know or they don't match up (you want a hard body but you don't want to put in the work) you're going to have a hard time. For me, I want to be fit enough to do the Everest Base Camp trek. When I am exercising, I imagine how hard it will be and that I better get used to hard work now and not be surprised later LOL

I'm not looking for a rock hard body. I'd like to get down to a healthy weight for my height. I would prefer to stay on the curvy side of the fense but in a much healthier manner.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    It sucks but that doesn't mean it's vital. Exercising can come later, but dieting (eating clean and healthy) is key to a healthy life. Easier said than done, I know.

My boyfriend keeps telling me this - he's a Vet and was once an avid lifter much more keen on the ins and outs of exercise/nutrition but these things he's learned from experience benefit me little as a female at a desk job. I want to try to accomplish the habit of exercise/healthy diet/quit smoking at once because I don't want to half *kitten* this. But again as someone pointed out before, perhaps I'm trying to do this "perfectly" and there's just no way to accomplish that.
  • amandagyeoman
    Options
    tl&dr....but here are my .02 anyway. One thing that stood out too me was that you were aiming for -500 calories, but wrre hungry all the time. The calorie intake figured for us isn't maintenance, it's to lose weight. I completely understand the reasoning for aiming low, but maybe youre one of the ones (like me) who needs to eat every dang calorie that can be legally acquired. If I consistently are that low, I would be miserable. just a consideration.ymmv.

I have an Iron deficiency that I was once convinced could be tackled by eating more. Usually toward the end of my work day I'd start getting faint and seriously weak to the point driving was unsafe. I have noticed since I have religiously logged MFP I haven't had an episode. But I am eating MUCH more veggies, taking a multivitamin, drinking much much more water. So I almost wonder if my hunger issues are more mental (because I tend to want to eat more in the evenings) than physical. And yes, I try drinking a glass of water before I eat to make sure it's the real hunger. Monday I went to bed hungry eating approximately (can't tell without looking at it) 1400 woke up hungry Tuesday but went to bed feeling full at 1400. Mind over matter?