Running (jogging) on treadmill or on pavement....

Options

Replies

• Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside, no music just me, my feet, and the pavement.

Seeing as its been really hot and I just moved, I have been supplementing outside runs with running on the dreadmill. I can do about 3 miles on the treadmill before I have to stop because I get soo bored.

That being said- I do like the Treadmill when I am doing HIIT as it helps me with my intervals and pushing myself harder and faster.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I wonder why its easier on the road than the sidewalk... Maybe I'll give this a try when I get back outside for my runs!!

Concrete is far denser than macadam. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it's staggering. Especially when you are putting a foot down on it 180 times per minute and the force exerted is something like 3 times your body weight.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I never though about dirt trails! I may have to find one nearby!

As long as is somewhat loose dirt, i don't see the difference between paved surface and hard soil :)

There is a difference, just like there is a difference between concrete and blacktop.
  • lifeissweet89
    Options

That being said- I do like the Treadmill when I am doing HIIT as it helps me with my intervals and pushing myself harder and faster.

Someone suggested that to me in an email! Sounds really great! Never heard about it until now :happy:
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ran at the high school track today. Knees don't hurt. Can't run on treadmill kills my hips/knees.
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    I am trying to reply to as many people as possible! Thanks for so much good advice! I am excited to try new techniques (and maybe a new pair of shoes?).

Anyone can add me if they like! I would LOVE having some fellow runners on my friends list :happy:
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    I run in the road. It's a lot easier than on the sidewalk and honestly I struggle on the treadmill. Always trying to make sure I stay straight and not fall off the side! I have horrible balance! LOL

Haha! Yes, I know what you mean!
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    I run on the treadmill. Not because I like it most, but because I am mom and the only time I have to myself to workout is 6 am. I haven't found a running partner yet. Just thankful that I'm getting it in! :drinker:

As long as you get your calorie burn in then that's all that matters :happy:
    GOOD JOB!
  • lifeissweet89
    Options
    I was recommended "neutral cushioning" shoes for similar issues and because I am prone to "pronation". New Balance makes good ones that are of a decent price (if you have a factory outlet nearby all the better). I have had 3 pairs of NB's this year and can't complain.

But you want to make sure about which way your foot lands - people either pronate or suppinate - when their foot lands and the wrong type of shoe can make it worse (i.e. result in further misery and injury).

Interesting....I think I supinate. I never really thought of this before! You're awesome, thanks!

Gonna look into some New Balance shoes. The ones I currently have are Nike Free Tr Fit. They are more meant for cross-training I believe. They are very light (which is what I really like about them) but maybe not so good for running on pavement...

Go to a specialty running store to be fitted so you are certain what type of shoe you need. They will analyze your gait and make suggestions based on their observations.

I know of a few...THANKS!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmill, it kind of forces me to keep pace...the lazy person's exercise! Also, with a size DD cup, I am very self-concious with the bounce factor in public!

You're wearing the wrong sports bra; you need to wear two. One with individual cups and one that is suppression. You will still have a little bounce, but it won't be as bad.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside because it allows for my body to naturally adjust itself up and down on speed in small increments to keep me at a running pace.

Whereas, on a treadmill, I have to set a specific pace that I think I'm going to run at for that period of time and it's a lot harder to be able to try to adjust my pace to the right place to get to where I want to be for sustained running. I often end up taking walking breaks during runs that are shorter distances than when I run outside without stopping simply because I've outpaced myself with the speed setting on the treadmill.

I also actually found that my knees and ankles do better outside because all of the treadmills at the gym have those stupid bouncy treads that lower and raise with each step. They're supposed to lessen the impact, but my knees always hurt like hell if I run for too long of a distance on the treadmill and I think it's because my stride gets altered by the tread always moving as I run since it's the only time it happens.
  • laura4smith
    laura4smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Let me jump on this topic.

In my opinion, I enjoy running outside on a popular trail. Watching other people walk / run is encouraging. In addition, I understand, that the sun is a good source of vitamin D and helps with depression. So, the sun is another source of encouragement.

But, if it is really dark outside or hot, a treadmill helps me keep a routine.

I feel I get a better workout when I am on a treadmill because it forces me to keep a constant pace and it is a lot harder to just stop.

We all run differently. I tend to run heel to and on the outside of my feet. The right shoes make a big difference when running. Not having the right shoe can also contribute to pain. My local running store, RunTeX, helped me find a running shoe and it was the best running shoe, Mizuno, I have EVER had. Now, they were pricey but well worth it. On Mizuno's site, there is a section where you can find the shoe that fits you. (no pun intended).

In summary, trails (better on your feet) as the first choice. Treadmills second and shoes make a difference.

Just my .02
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside; it challenges me more. Its too easy to turn the speed down a notch (or 3) on the dreadmill or get off altogether before I have completed my goal. When running outside there's either out & back or circle type trails...either way; you have to finish to "finish" and I'd rather run and get it over quicker than walk and prolong it..... I do actually prefer the scenery as well and even tv doesn't keep my attention on the dreadmill (the dreadmill is for those occasions when I cannot run outside - 100+, freezing, pouring rain, sleet, snow).

We have multiple trails that we utilize; some macadam (blacktop) greenways, some dirt, gravel, etc. Some near lakes or rivers, some in the mountains and some near old farms....love it. But I also run on the road in my neighborhood (we don't have sidewalks, besides the macadam gives a little more than concrete).

I have two pairs of running shoes - Brooks Adrenaline for the road and Brooks Cascadia for the trails.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Definately outside...
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    For some reason, I find it much easier to jog outside on the pavement, I can run for a longer amount of time and the experience just seems more enjoyable when I'm outside...

But I have noticed my knees hurting lately from running on such a hard surface...

WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

Get new shoes and get them from a professional running store where they can put you in the right shoes. I used to experience terrible pain running and the proper shoes fixed it all.
  • Rebroland
    Rebroland Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was recommended "neutral cushioning" shoes for similar issues and because I am prone to "pronation". New Balance makes good ones that are of a decent price (if you have a factory outlet nearby all the better). I have had 3 pairs of NB's this year and can't complain.

But you want to make sure about which way your foot lands - people either pronate or suppinate - when their foot lands and the wrong type of shoe can make it worse (i.e. result in further misery and injury).

Interesting....I think I supinate. I never really thought of this before! You're awesome, thanks!

Gonna look into some New Balance shoes. The ones I currently have are Nike Free Tr Fit. They are more meant for cross-training I believe. They are very light (which is what I really like about them) but maybe not so good for running on pavement...

Go to a specialty running store to be fitted so you are certain what type of shoe you need. They will analyze your gait and make suggestions based on their observations.

100% agree with this post! I was having shin splints and knee pain (the worst!) and I went out and bought an expensive pair of running shoes - didn't help. Somebody then suggested that I go to a running store and have them watch me walk/run and fit me for shoes. I was first off wearing a size too big - and secondly, I found out I have a slight pronation - so I needed a shoe with a certain amount of support in the right areas. They recommended three pairs of shoes - surprisingly all cheaper than the ones I just bought. I bought them in April and I noticed in about a week that the pain was completely gone. it hasn't come back since. I know that if it starts coming back then I'll be in need of replacing my shoes

I also agree with the statement about running faster outside which makes it harder. I started C25K in Jan and did the whole program on the treadmill. I worked my way up to being able to run about 3.5-4 miles regularly. When I switched to running outside I found it was much harder and could barely run half a mile to a mile sometimes. I did some research and found that it was more likely my pace (as well as the fact that it's not a flat, even surface). I slowed myself down by making a playlist of slower songs I liked (my "pump it up" music was making me go way too fast) and it worked! now I only run outside - i get bored on the treadmill after 2 hours and I don't listen to any music - helps regulate my breathing.

Good luck!!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I like running outside too - only if it's not jhot as he** ...
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I like to run on the treadmill because I am able to run much longer. Around here, there is not much flat area to run on so for a beginner (like myself) it is quite daunting and difficult to run. I actually prefer to run on an indoor track, but my gym does not have one.
  • peace_pigeon
    peace_pigeon Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Outside, for sure. Trails are my favorite, but I love quiet back roads as well. I was never able to run very well until I started running in minimalist shoes. Amazing difference for me. No more knee, hip, foot or back pain when I run. I know they aren't for everyone, but they really helped me :flowerforyou:
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I really struggle running on a treadmill. I can't keep it up long. For some reason I do better outdoors. I'm not much of a runner, however, as my knees aren't very good. I'm just trying to add it to my cardio routine since the elliptical doesn't get my heart rate as much as it did when I was larger and less fit.