Running (jogging) on treadmill or on pavement....

Options
1235»

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I hate running on the treadmill. . .but once upon a time I wouldn't be caught dead outdoors. Now I will use a stair stepper if I can't run outside on a run day.

If your knees are hurting, try switching up running surfaces. Road, sidewalk, trail, etc. Also, make sure you are STRETCHING! I thought stretching was for pansies until my leg was so jacked up I had to go see a sports medicine doc. Guess what. . .he gave me a series of stretches to do several times a day. BIG improvement!!!
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I am not going to get into a discussion (which invariably leads to an argument), but will say that I used to have problems with my knees even after spending a lot of money on special shoes and inserts etc. It eventually stopped me from running for years.

I switched to midfoot landing, barefoot shoes and actual barefoot running on the beach (yes, I pronate, and some believe it is a natural shock absorbing mechanism of the human body). I have been running in flat, non-supportive shoes for 3+ years with NO knee problems. I ran a marathon in barefoot shoes. You might want to do some research and see if it is right for you.

I notice only a slight difference when I run on the beach (extra work for the muscles in the front of the leg), but no difference in regard to other surfaces. I run trails, treadmills and streets.

Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am not going to get into a discussion (which invariably leads to an argument), but will say that I used to have problems with my knees even after spending a lot of money on special shoes and inserts etc. It eventually stopped me from running for years.

I switched to midfoot landing, barefoot shoes and actual barefoot running on the beach (yes, I pronate, and some believe it is a natural shock absorbing mechanism of the human body). I have been running in flat, non-supportive shoes for 3+ years with NO knee problems. I ran a marathon in barefoot shoes. You might want to do some research and see if it is right for you.

I notice only a slight difference when I run on the beach (extra work for the muscles in the front of the leg), but no difference in regard to other surfaces. I run trails, treadmills and streets.

Good luck!
    No argument from me!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I'm happy to hear this worked for you. I contend that the barefoot shoes forced you into proper running form, thus alleviating your problem. It's not barefoot running that works, it's proper form. Proper form can be achieved with shoes too.
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Barefoot beach running is my thing, but not available to everyone. Makes working out feel like a mini vacation, love it.

NICE! That truly sounds amazing! I heard that running on sand is a bit more of a challenge as well, is that true?

Most definitely. The nice thing is, you can change the intensity of your workout up by simply moving between compact wet sand and the soft dry sand. Watching your footing is a little more of an effort than street runs but worth it in my opinion :)
  • dcipolone
    dcipolone Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would rather be outside. I have a great park nearby that has an asphalt jogging path. It really absorbs the impact. When I am on the treadmill I lose my balance or I tend to move to close to the front. I do like to watch TV when I am using the treadmill though.
  • younglove3
    Options
    I run outside unless absolutely necessary. Training for marathons is too redundant on the dreadmill.
    Your knees will get used to it :0)
  • fryebrandon1
    Options
    I always run outside. I can't stand the treadmill, or dreadmill as I like to call it. When running outdoors, I think it's important that we understand the effects of different surfaces (dirt, pavement, sand, snow, etc.). This article explains the importance of varying our running routes: http://www.forkstofeet.com/2013/06/whats-better-running-on-pavement-or-dirt.html We shouldn't get too comfortable with just pavement, or just dirt or grass. Instead, we need to incorporate all of these into our regimen to enable our bodies to flourish. I hope this helped. Keep up the hard work!