About to give up and just accept im fat

Options

Replies

• kyomoon
    kyomoon Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I Like to cook and i eat as clean as i can. I Do not have a bunch of money for food $80 for two weeks but when i get a job i will be able to put $50 more in which that will bring me to $130 but i really do want to eat clean. Maybe you can tell me some foods that are not out my budget.
    [/quote]

I completely understand about being on a tight budget I have a weekly household budget of $75/week to feed a scrawny 16 yr old girl with the metabolism of a hummingbird and the appetite of a bear; a 7 yr with the same problem, a cat & myself. I shop at 7:30 am to get the deals... like 30% off meat. It's good meat & it will keep longer... it just needs to be frozen. The Wal-Mart Supercentres up here have so I'm assuming the ones in the US do as well.

You can also find day old bread at 50% off as well as discounted dairy items that are nearing their "best-before" date. This stuff is still good. I keep the eating loaf in the fridge & the extra in the freezer.

I think some of the problem with the groceries maybe in what you are buying, for example, a can of sweet corn (a generic brand) is about $1.28/can and has about 2.5 half cup servings ($.51/serving) meanwhile a 2lb bag of frozen corn costs about $3.78 and has about 10 (1/2 cups serving at $.40/serving). Not only do you have a bit of a cost savings but it's also better for you than canned veggies. No sugar, no preservatives, no BHP from the can linings. Frozen veggies are frozen as soon as they're picked preserving all their goodness and lets not forget that all important fibre that seems to be missing from your diet.

You need to really look at what you are spending your money on, food-wise that is, and look at the stores in your area and really evaluate the prices. I live in Edmonton, Canada and we have a store called H&W that sells nothing but produce... now the produce isn't perfectly shaped but I'm not putting it on display... I go there cause the prices are usually pretty good. Green peppers for 99cents/lb as compared to $1.67/lb at Superstore or Wal-Mart... $.79/lb for apples when they're about $1.29/lb everywhere else. There may be something like that in your area that you don't know about.

Here's a SUPER cheap meal my kids love & is filling:

1 box generic mac'n'cheese - $ .50
    1/4lb lean ground beef (at 30% off of course!) - about $ .92
    4 tomatoes diced - about $1
    1/2 a red onion - $ .30
    1 finely dice jalapeño pepper - $ .05
    1/2 a bunch of cilantro - $ .25
    1/2 lime - $ .17

How to put together:
    1. Dice up all the fresh stuff, squeeze in the lime juice and add a little salt to taste & put in the fridge.
    2. Fry up the beef.
    3. Cook up the mac'n'cheese as usual.
    4. Put the fried beef & the cold veggie mix into the mac'n'cheese

About $3.19 for the whole meal feeds all three of us and I have leftovers for lunch the next day. The big bonus here is it's a WHOLE lot cheaper than hamburger helper AND whole lot healthier.

Don't EVER give up. Just remember NOTHING is impossible you just need to step back and look it the problem from a different angle.
  • keeleen
    keeleen Posts: 93
    Options
    Don't give up! You can do this! We all struggle through this at some point or another, I mean I'm finally just now being consistent with my diet and exercise, I feel like I've been on some type of diet off and on for the past 5-6 years, I'm always "trying" to lose weight, but I wasn't always actually trying! You may have only lost 2 lbs, but you lost inches... Both the weight loss and inches lost are awesome... Your weight will fluctuate, depending on the time of day, or "month" even, especially if you are just starting... And you may not be losing actual pounds, but you are losing weight and gaining muscle... which will help increase your metabolism, and help you in the long run. Anytime I'm hungry, I try and drink 8 ounces of water, that helps me decide if I'm really hungry or just thinking I'm hungry or bored... It also helps me get my water intake for the day. Getting your exercise in is very important... If you can't afford the gym, go for a walk/jog outside, get your heart rate up, jog/run for 1 min, walk for 3 min, repeat... Then increase your running time and decrease your walking time each week... Interval training is great to get your heart pumping! There are tons of workouts on you tube for free... Also you can do squats, lunges, push ups, burpees, mountain climbers, etc... Those are all exercises to help build muscle, burn calories, and they don't require any kind of gym equipment, weights, or anything. Sometimes your own body weight is the best thing to use to workout. But also remember, it's 70% diet, and 30% exercise.... And there will be days, that you mess up, or don't do as great as other days, but you just pick yourself up, and do it all over again the next day! You can do this, stick with it, you owe it to yourself because you deserve to be happy! Add me if you want! We can motivate each other!
  • Aurorainthenorth
    Aurorainthenorth Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You actually might enjoy going back to work. Keep at it and TAKE THE MELATONIN!!!! It's worth the sleep you will get. I work night shift and sleep is SO important. Stay with it You are worth it!
  • mrscvan
    mrscvan Posts: 5
    Options
    Please don't give up! You've already seen a difference in your measurements. Don't allow yourself to be a slave to the scale. A scale is just one tool in a weight loss journey and it is the worst tool in my opinion. Pay more attention to how your clothes fit and how you feel. I bet you feel better at the end of each day knowing that you stayed under your calories and you exercised. As you get those inches off by exercising and counting calories, your clothes will keep getting looser. Once you start experiencing that, then step on the scale and see where you are. Keep in mind also that exercise builds muscle and muscle weighs more that fat. It is so important to get the weight off so that you can be healthy and happy for yourself and your family. Keep at it so that you will have energy to play with your beautiful baby.

One more thing and I know I'll get slammed for this but I'm going to say it to you anyway. You have to live in this world and if you put unrealistic restrictions on yourself you will give up. Try not to think of this journey as a "diet" because diets usually fail. Try for a lifestyle change. If you want to eat fast food, eat it, just eat half of what you used to eat. If you can't get past that chocolate craving, have chocolate, but limit it to a reasonable amount. It is a proven fact that if you deny yourself the things that you are craving, you will eat twice as much other stuff trying to satisfy that craving and 9 times out of 10 you will eat the food you were craving on top of all the other stuff you tried to substitute with. You have to police yourself with this cause at the end of the day, you are accountable to yourself. And you have your beautiful baby as your incentive. God Bless You and give you Peace!
  • nekoxvampyx
    Options
    u dont need money to lift " weights" you can work out with your own body weight. and sorry but muscles on women look sexier than fat everyone would agree to that.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Though you are gaining pounds, you are losing inches. THIS IS PROGRESS. Forget the scale and continue to do what you are doing. This happens to all of us sometimes. Weight is not the best measure of success. It may be that you are gaining some mild level of muscle toning. Muscle weighs more per cubic inch than fat so though your scale may increase, you can actually decrease in size. Also, you said you THOUGHT you had lost 5 lbs but gained two. In this instance it may be that on the day you tried weighing, you had gained some water weight. Water is retained for a variety of reasons... One thing it may be due to sodium intake but it is also retained to rebuild lost muscle mass. Best wishes on your journey.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I'm going to second what kyomoon said. I've got 3 teenagers (2 boys) and a husband, all with HUGE appetites. I feed all 5 of us [very well] for under $100/week (and that includes pet food and paper goods). Buy the meat that's on clearance, get veggies that are overripe and freeze them yourself. Find the local discount bread store and get your bread there. The one by us has "good" bread for $1/loaf (as opposed to $3/loaf at the grocery store), and they usually have a basket of items that are free if you spend $5. And bread freezes well, so it's not like the extra would go to waste.

Learn to stretch recipes with things like canned tomatoes and/or beans. A typical fast food meal is ~$5. For the EXACT SAME amount, I can make a WHOLE CROCKPOT of healthy chili - enough for 8+ servings, and it's less effort than going to the drive through.

You can do this!
  • Anastasiasosa
    Anastasiasosa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    u dont need money to lift " weights" you can work out with your own body weight. and sorry but muscles on women look sexier than fat everyone would agree to that.

Amen! Op you can do it!
  • alatoyajones
    alatoyajones Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up!! I looked at your food log and see a lot of processed food this will kill your weight loss!!!! I did it too because I have two small kids under two but I only gained. Stop with the high sodium foods and drink a lot of water. Also see if you increase your workouts to 3 to 4 times a week for 60 min. The small workouts may need to be increased. Please keep going and don't stress it isn't going to change anything;-) Speaking from experience!!
  • Rylansmommy12
    Options

Yes but i dont like muscle on women. My fiancce even said he would nt like it
  • tortiz67
    tortiz67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My suggestions would be drink more water, stop eating fast food and definitely limit the processed foods. I also noticed some days it looks like you skipped meals, that's an unhealthy habit. Don't give up, I really think if you can improve your diet you can really make some great progress.
  • nedaamin
    Options
    you don't have to go to gym to lose weight or do a work out, there are lots of work outs online, use youtub and find some thing you would like and enjoy to do and just start doing it, do excersice at least 4 times a weak and just do it whenever you have time for it, and with clean eating you will see results for sure so don't give up just work it out and say to yourself you can do it.
  • Rylansmommy12
    Options
    My suggestions would be drink more water, stop eating fast food and definitely limit the processed foods. I also noticed some days it looks like you skipped meals, that's an unhealthy habit. Don't give up, I really think if you can improve your diet you can really make some great progress.

Yes i cant always eat breakfast because my son dose nt always sleep so i get what sleep i can.
  • Rylansmommy12
    Options
    you don't have to go to gym to lose weight or do a work out, there are lots of work outs online, use youtub and find some thing you would like and enjoy to do and just start doing it, do excersice at least 4 times a weak and just do it whenever you have time for it, and with clean eating you will see results for sure so don't give up just work it out and say to yourself you can do it.
  • Rylansmommy12
    Options

i workout 5x a week. I Do cardio pilates and yoga.
  • Ouckat2
    Ouckat2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Dont give up! What helped me most was I was a saltaholic! Loved salty foods. I also gave up all white foods....white rice, potatoes, sugar, pasta's, except for once a week low glycemic pasta. My first month my weight just fell off. Also drink lots of water and stay away from the juices! :wink:
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open just so you know.. great job on losing an inch of your waist and thighs! This isn't a fast road. Losing weight takes patience unfortunately and I'm sure you don't really want to just accept that you're fat do you?

Well being you thought you lost 5lbs are you weighing yourself everyday? Weight fluctuates so much from day to day. If you are staying at your calorie goal AND eating exercise calories back you are on the right path!

You losing an inch means more then a few lbs on the scale. A few more inches and you will be in a new size of pants you know..

^^^ good advice!... i agree.. this MFP is a eating plan/normalcy ish.. its not a fast /crash diet like low low carb or something.. takes time... ive lost 7pnds in about 3wks doing this (on my 4th wk now) but i also started heavier at 232! so you loose faster in general when heavier.. and keep it up.. looser waist feels good and looser clothes is an accomplishment! u should measure.. not all about numbers on a scale
  • tortiz67
    tortiz67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes i cant always eat breakfast because my son dose nt always slepep so i get what sleep i can.

I'm not trying to be rude but I feel like that is just an excuse, I have a 7 1/2 month old who I breast feed....I know all about being up during the night, I make sure I have something for breakfast. Try something you can take on the go...a bagel or lately one of my favs has been 2 slices of wheat toast with a little butter and honey...or I cut up some fruit the night before and eat that for breakfast.

Also I just wanted to comment and say you could save a lot of money on buying groceries as opposed to eating fast food...I've been there that's part of the reason I'm over weight now.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    This is from my blog I just started (http://theamazingslimmingsarah.blogspot.com/). I am hoping it might have some good advice, please dont give up. the fact that you have kept up and fought for an entire month is everything! Please add me. My starting weight was 196 and I am down to 186, and I think we can help each other :)

My Greatest Pal

My Fitness Pal is a FREE website used to track your food. It counts calories, protein, fat, whatever you need it too. It also calculates your exercises, then at the end of the day tells you what you would weigh in 5 weeks if you did the same thing everyday. But you can not simply sign up and log your food/exercise and expect greatness! You need to know how to get the most of of it

1. USE THE FORUMS! MFP has a great community full of people who want to offer adivce and motivation and that need advice and motivation. Be warned hardly anyone is a professional, so do your own research, but nothing wrong with recieving tips from people who have "been there done that!" Make sure you go to the "Introduce Yourself" forum and start a topic. Talk about your goals, why you are doing what you are doing, and also ask for friends!

2. ADD LOTS OF FRIENDS! This isn't facebook. You don't have to be afraid of strangers! Everyone on the site is there to help you. I have almost 200 friends, and some of them are like family already. You will notice that people refer to their friends as their "MFP Family". Thats because you truely bond with a lot of people instantly. You see them fight and struggle and win and it makes you want to do the same. Have a good day, and people congratulate you and give you lots of praise! Bad day? Instant love and motivation. We always have people in our "real life" who try to support you, but they just dont understand what you are going through as well as your MFP family will.

3. FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE! Its not for others, it is for you. Having to write why you are fighting everyday, what your goals are, your motivation, is an important step. Then when ever you feel low, you reread it and get re motivated.

4. MAKE YOUR DIARY PUBLIC! I know, it stinks when you have to eat badly, but by knowing that everyone is going to see my diary, I behave better. But even when i have to be naughty, no one ever yells at you! Everyone understands because EVERYONE has those days. Another benifit is people can offer advice on some different food options

5. DO NOT LIE ON YOUR DIARY! and yes, "forgetting" to log something is lying. Even though it puts pressure on you to eat right by making it public, don't lie and said you had a turkey sandwich when you really had a bad day, and had to eat a big mac. Logging it lets you know exactly how bad something is for you. When I logged a big mac meal, I haven't eaten it since. This is a learning experience. If you lie, you are hurting no one but yourself. Let me repeat this EVERYONE WILL HAVE BAD DAYS!!! Tt is the ability to be able to learn from mistakes and MOVE ON that will be the most important to your journey

6. DO NOT TRY TO GO FOR 1200 CALORIES A DAY!!! That is starvation mode. So yes, you will lose at first, but then your body starts freaking out. My beachbody coach sent me to this calorie calculator. Once you fill it out it will give you 3 options. Do not do the extreme weightloss because that number is YOUR OWN starvation mode number. Customize your goals and shoot for that. Mine is 1900

7. NOW POST LIKE CRAZY! Every time you are happy/sad/proud/ mad POST a status update. All those friends you have added will help you! Also, return the favor, and take a little time to praise and motivate your MFP family. You will keep yourself and other motivated! When i felt like a failure i posted and got 10 messages about how I inspired people and how proud they were of my hard work (shout out to my MFP family love you guys!!)

MFP is an amazing website. No matter what your health goals are, there are people trying to do the same. It is so awesome that I have become a hardcore MFP cheerleader and recommend it to EVERYONE. Sign up today, and get ready for a lifestyle change!
    I could not agree more, Engaging the MFP community has definitely been part of my success. Get active on the forums and get active on your news feed. It may be surprising how helpful encouragement from relative strangers is. CONNECT with others just like you and pay it forward to new members you come across.
  • Rylansmommy12
    Options
    Yes i cant always eat breakfast because my son dose nt always slepep so i get what sleep i can.

I'm not trying to be rude but I feel like that is just an excuse, I have a 7 1/2 month old who I breast feed....I know all about being up during the night, I make sure I have something for breakfast. Try something you can take on the go...a bagel or lately one of my favs has been 2 slices of wheat toast with a little butter and honey...or I cut up some fruit the night before and eat that for breakfast.

Also I just wanted to comment and say you could save a lot of money on buying groceries as opposed to eating fast food...I've been there that's part of the reason I'm over weight now.

Well i never been a breakfast person. You can call it an excuse all you want. I Am cutting fast food out i just ate it that day because i was drinking and dont bother to tell me to 100 percent cut out drinking. That will never happen.