WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER

Options

Replies

• LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good evening all. Just a quick note. Just finished the 4 mile and am a little tired.
    :flowerforyou: Thank you Heather and Barbie I really felt good. I can't remember when I looked that thin. I actually have a waist.:laugh: If you want to check out more pictures of the wedding you can go to myspace and look up laurelfisher. We had another beautiful day with no rain and I got to walk at lunch time again today. Everyone have a wonderful day tomorrow, :heart: Love, (((Hugs))) and prayers to all, Rosemary. zzzzzzzzzzzz:yawn:
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Evening all, I've been off for days but am reading. Wow, we have lots of new people?

That's what happens when you snooze. I have been going to the Y and doing great with food. But the scale is not moving. I can't believe how much inches I've lost though. This happened last January when I first started my program. So I am just going to stick with it. Besides, I am walking quicker and with better balance. And I can really see it in my face. I actually feel pretty.

Well, God bless all. I gotta put my grandkids to bed and get ready for BL. kc
  • angl
    angl Posts: 188
    Options
    Just want to comment on Kids and their messy rooms......My 25 yr old son bought a condo last Feb.
    When he was home his room was always a mess.....not that he has his own place I could not believe how neat and clean it is. So, Mom dont sweat over the messy room. When it is their own place you will see a big difference.
    I was proud of myself today for ordering healthy at AppleBees. Had a weight watchers chicken and portabella sandwich with fruit and a salad with no croutons and fat free dressing. Yummy and even though the sandwich was small I was totally filled up. I find it hard when we eat out. But there are healthy choices out there... we just need to look.
    Got my 30 min walk in today too.
    angl:bigsmile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I have read and re-read today's posts. I am so blessed to have all of you in my life.

:flowerforyou: to those of you with children at home, I have so much admiration for you. This challenge is far greater for you than it is for me. My family members are pets, who eat what's put in front of them when I decide to feed them :laugh: and the world's greatest husband :heart: who plans meals with me and sometimes helps with the cooking......he makes a fabulous salad.

:flowerforyou: to those of you who work full-time outside your house, you have an exercise challenge that I don't have.......after my 1000 calorie chicken curry lunch today, I came home and rode the exercise bike, did a Leslie Sansone "Walk at Home " workout, walked at the dog park with my dogs for an hour, and burned off enough calories to come out even at the end of the day.

:flowerforyou: to those of you with illness in your family, I know how the stress can interfere with healthy eating. The night my mother died, Jake and I bought two half gallons of ice cream on the way home from the hospital and each ate our entire half gallon out of the carton when we got home.

Until this year I had given up on the idea that I would ever lose weight. I've eaten healthy and exercised my whole life which succeeded only in keeping my weight under 200 pounds. I wore baggy clothes under the mistaken impression that they made me look slimmer and I avoided looking in the mirror.

This year has been a miracle for me and I thank God every day for the willingness to keep on following the plan that has made weight loss possible. I don't ever want to go back to the old days of Chubby Barbie.

I read somewhere that if your friend gains weight the odds of you gaining weight are huge. so I'm keeping all of you weight losers as my friends so the odds are that I won't be gaining weight.

:flowerforyou: to those of you who are new, never, never, never give up. Take this one day at a time and remarkable things will come to pass for you.
    hugs, :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Barbie,
    I also have read that, at any given time in your life, it is best to surround yourself with like minded friends, pursuing the same goals at that particular time in life. That's what I love about this website. It supports all goals, from 10 pounds to 300+ pounds. We understand the challenges of weight loss, and we are a united group. It is so fun to celebrate someone's successes, as well as our own. We know what it is like to step on a scale and to cry. One time out of frustration and disappointment. The next time out of happiness and pride. It is an emotional ride, and I am thankful for the friends that I've made here, who share my journey.
    Susan

P.S. Has the storm passed? How were the winds? Rain?
  • slightingscale
    slightingscale Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    Just want to comment on Kids and their messy rooms......My 25 yr old son bought a condo last Feb.
    When he was home his room was always a mess.....not that he has his own place I could not believe how neat and clean it is. So, Mom dont sweat over the messy room. When it is their own place you will see a big difference.........
    angl:bigsmile:
    Angl,
    Isn't that the truth? My adult kids' homes are now cleaner than mine! I have to take my shoes off at the door when I visit, and they quickly slip in a coaster under my drink on their kitchen table . After all of that grief, who would have thought that they'd turn out so great? :happy:
    Susan
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I went back to CURVES today! I am hoping to get back into a regular routine. I even calculated my calories and know what I have to work on. Thank you for welcoming me to this site. I recruited my fitness Pal friend, angl. She is a great motivator!:blushing: Everyone is so positive. Thank you!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone-

Angl, you said getting old "S U C K S"-my mom has a little more to that saying. She is a very lively 93 yrs old, a little slowed down by arthritis and having both of her hips replaced, but there is nothing wrong with her wit.

The way she says it, " Growing old sucks, but it beats the alternative!!!!:laugh: :laugh:

Slightingscales asked if the storm passed. It did, and wasn't much to it where I am, but on the coast, it was quite a different story. What a difference about 90 miles makes! They had hurricane force winds during the afternoon and evening yesterday. There is a building in one of the small coastal towns (Seaside, Oregon) that used to be the city hall, and was purchased by a private party who has been rehabing it for retail space. The roof is only two years old, and the wind actually blew it right off the building!!:noway: The coastal highway, 101, had lots of flooding due to rain and a very high tide/storm surge. There were trees that came down, of course--about 25 of them just at one golf course. Fortunately, I haven't heard of any serious injuries. Unfortunately, they are expecting another storm in the next few days, but I haven't heard yet if it is going to be as bad.

The friend I went to the coast with on Sunday works for one of the electrical utilities in Oregon, and when he called me last night, he said he was going to be out in the thick of it, running interference for line crews to make sure they could access the facilities and equipment they needed without getting stuck by fallen trees. I haven't heard how it turned out for him and the crews, but I imagine they were busier than one armed paper hangers.:laugh:

I had to edit and correct my own misconception that not much happened in my area. Although I slept soundly last night and didn't hear any wind, it was doing its damage within about 10 miles of where I live. A large cottonwood tree fell on a townhouse, then rolled down the side of the roof and landed on the garage flattening a car and a motorcycle. The damage estimate for the structures and contents is about $100k, so that is certainly a significant hit.

Barbiecat-

Your lunch sounds decadent. I love:heart: curry and haven't had any in a while, so maybe its time to hit Trader Joe's and come up with something "curry good."

As you can see by my ticker, I have dropped off another unwanted pound, so maybe I will make it to 50 lost by Thanksgiving, which would be nice, since I am hoping to be down 60 by Christmas.

Have a good week and keep on drinking that water!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Barb
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Quick update as I have to get ready for work. I lost another lb.:bigsmile: .... and another 1.5 inches.:bigsmile: So total weight lost in 3 mos is 27 lbs and 18 in.:blushing: I am so amazed:bigsmile: I can't believe that I am losing this fast without doing anything "Over the top" especially at my age! Praise be to God for giving me a new focus, this website, new friends and a new life! :flowerforyou: 1200 calories a day plus exercise calories ( I try to do the treadmill 30 - 60 Min a day) a lot of water and that's it:happy: I eat whatever I want, HOWEVER when you have a lower calorie count you automatically make wiser choices:wink: I stay away from junk food and only eat "healthy " foods, THAT I ENJOY! The way I feel losing weight is so much happier then any eating, or food has EVER made me! I read the posts yesterday and will try to hop on and read the new posts as well as comment today if things slow down at work! It's been so busy!
    Welcome to all the new gals joining us. This is quite the group as you will find and if you keep an open mind and stay focused....anything is possible!!!
    Hanging in there "One day at a time".
    God Bless!
    BirdieM:love:
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: BirdieM, congrats on losing another pound. You are doing fantastic!!!

:flowerforyou: barb, hang in there. You can lose the remaining three pounds by Thanksgiving or at least get close to it.

:flowerforyou: Eava57, please let us know how you like CURVES. I was a member a few years back but didn't get truly into it.

:flowerforyou: Susan, the same thing has happened with my family. My sloppy kids have grown up to be very neat.

I am at work at this time. I will not be going to my strength class tonight as there is a meeting after work that I need to attend.:sad:
  • tdbear
    tdbear Posts: 13
    Options
    Doggie doors are a saving grace for me. Although I have cats, I got tired of the getting up in the middle of the night to let them in or out. There is some drafting but not enough to discourage them. Good luck.
  • tdbear
    tdbear Posts: 13
    Options
    I can honestly say I have always been less than thin but for the last 10 years I have been over the top. Up until recently my activities have overcome the weight but like the doc says, a 2 ton truck may carry 3 tons for a while but it will give out over time. Is there any kind of eating that is not emotional??? We eat when we are happy and sad, but even under controlled circumstances we cannot eat without some sort emotions. Unfortunately that is life:grumble:

I love your up-beat attitude. With people like you around, maybe this time I will be able to make a successful weight journey. Have a super day!
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    Barb and Birdie great job on the pound. Keep it up. Barbie as usual your words are a great inspiration just when I need it. My body became possessed last night LOL. We went out to eat at Chili's before my granddaughter's basketball game. I ordered the turkey sandwich and soup which is not so bad. However i ate the entire thing. I forgot to ask for no mayo and ate it anyway. ate all of the fries as well as chips my hubby got. I was miserable. When I got home guess where I spent about 30 mintues with a tummy ache. I NEVER want to feel that way again. To think I used to go through that almost every day of my life. Oh my I just cant do that again. My stomach still hurts thinking about it. Well ladies have a great day. I plan to get back on track today. Thanks for being here for me.
    Vicki M
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Vicki M, isn't it funny how we feel so bad eating now what we used to eat without any problems. I am glad that my body feels bad when I eat wrong.

:flowerforyou: tdbear, yep there is another way of eating....eat only when your tummy says that it is empty. Go by your physical symptoms not what your head is saying. I have a tendency to over-eat when I am happy. Strangely, though, I lose my appetite when I am upset.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Good Morning from the Wet and Windy West Coast.

I love all the inspiring and heartfelt stories of my new friends. The flu still has a grip on me :sick: . I did stay within my calories yesterday however.

Okay, back to the couch......:yawn:
    Renny
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    Barb and Birdie great job on the pound. Keep it up. Barbie as usual your words are a great inspiration just when I need it. My body became possessed last night LOL. ....
    Vicki M

Me too!!! But not eating out...just dove in the deep end right at home...OUCH. So today it's makeup day again...I really wish I'd stop doing this!

Terri:cry:
  • bradybrookes
    Options
    Stayed up too late last (baking brownies and making turkey salad for an office party today) so I just couldn’t drag myself out of bed to exercise at 5am. Hoping I can get it done when I get home. And the office party . . . every kind of yummy is here. Had a little fruit, and one small scoop of turkey salad on a whole wheat roll . . . trying hard to stick with the water, and stay away from the break room full of food!!
    :embarassed:
    Encouraged by everyone's posts . . . keep them coming!
    143992.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I'm at work, so I will do this the quick way.

CONGRATULATIONS! to all of you loosing weight this past week. It is most admirable considering the eating season has begun.

To everyone having an off day or an off week - Hang in there! Don't give up and don't let yesterday or today's bad choice carryover or get you down. Life is going to give us all good days and bad days. We can handle it because we have each other here in MFP and we have friends, family, etc supporters around us.

To all the new people - Welcome! We're glad you are joining us in this journey.

Back to work for me. Ugh. I have a meeting scheduled for the entire afternoon.

Jeannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Good morning everyone,
    Jake is off on another trip related to his business :sad: :sad: so we got up at 5:00 so he could be picked up by the airport shuttle at 7:30. His plane doesn't leave until 1:30. This is a personal growth retreat and the participants are asked to leave their computers at home and turn off their cell phones while they are there so we won't be having the usual four or five phone conversations a day that we usually have. :sad:

The good thing for him is that the event is in Santa Barbara, California where the weather is a whole lot better than it is in NW Washington.

The good thing for me is that I can eat fruit, salads,veggies, hummus, protein shakes, and keep my calories down and have the house to myself to keep my exercise up.

Congratulations to Barb and Birdi for losing weight.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: and to those of you who are making good choices at parties and potlucks:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

More later after the dog park :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Becky,
    I think I am the same way. I tend to want to eat when excited and happy. When sad, angry, depressed I really dont have a problem.
    Vicki M