WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER

Options

Replies

• Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Good Morning

Nice to see you back Rosemary. Congratulations on the upcoming wedding of your son. I'm sure you will be very busy organizing and socializing. Sounds fun. That's way in the future (hopefully) as my oldest just turned 17.

Swiss - I'm doing the same thing. I find I get too far behind in my work from spending too much time catching up on MFP. I now come in about 15 min early and then its my intention to only sign on briefly throughout the day.

I got some good hints and some good affirmation of things I already knew. Thanks.
    Last night my schedule was not in my control so I didn't get to work out but I'll just call that my day off. I did go to the weight loss meeting and we talked about 'negative self-talk' and motivation. It was enlightening. A couple of things I took away from last night: Really not about the scale - don't give the scale power It's the actions we are doing. If we are doing everything right, the loss will eventually show. In the meantime, we have to remember that our heart, lungs, central nervous system etc are truly thanking us for taking care of them and thats far more important than the number on the scale. The blood pressure, cholesterol, stress level, mobility into our later years - that's why we are doing what we are doingtoday. The girl running the meeting said she motivates herself on "don't wanna" days by reminding herself that this effort now will allow her to get on and off the toilet by herself for years to come. That's why she does squats:laugh:
    Another perspective she shared was that to her, exercise is a privilege and we are very fortunate to have legs that work etc. Kind of like "move it or lose it"
    This help remind me of a few things and I hope it helps someone else.
    Today I will:
    Drink more water!!!!!!
    eat planned food only
    45 minutes of cardio
    30 minutes strength

This is the plan however my son is sick in bed and if he hasn't shown improvement by the time I get off work, I will try to get him in to a walk-in clinic. Going to a clinic is kind of scary with the H1N1 but I think he may need antibiotics. He is presenting classic symptoms of pneumonia but has no fever. Hopefully he will get better instead of worse as the day progresses.

Take care ladies and have a great day.

Heather
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Thanks to all who took the time to share what works for them. Hopefully we all learned something.

Looks like these Shapeups are paying off. Noticed when I was getting out of the shower, my booty no longer looks like cottage cheese. :happy:

My exercise routine has gone down the toilet lately. I helped hubby clean out the garage on his day off yesterday; surely that burned some calories. Now that he's back on days for 6 days maybe Leslie and I can do some fast walking.:tongue:
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good afternoon all, what a yucky, cold, wet, dreary day. It has been raining non-stop for 2 days.:noway: I am ready to start building an Ark..:huh: My plan for vacation was to take one day just to go to the park and walk, walk, walk. Well I can tell you that AIN"T happening.:grumble: I guess me and Leslie will be spending some more time together today:laugh: That is ONE way to burn calories and stay warm at the same time.:happy: I am staying on track today with eating and drinking water. Going tonight to get my nails done for the wedding. Everyone have a safe and productive day. Love to all, Rosemary
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    heartrw brings up a good point about backing off. It's so easy to overtrain because we feel like we have to be pushing at our hardest all the time. But you make more fitness gains if you mix up your routine and have alterating easy and hard stuff. And take days off to recover!!!
  • bradybrookes
    Options
    All good ideas here . . . I definitely need to join the group! I've been doing Weight Watchers for a little over a year and down over 100 pounds, but still have 20 to go. I've grown tired of going to the meetings (I think I've been around long enough now that the meetings are a re-run) so I'm hoping MFP will give me incentive to keep going. We traveled a bit during September and October and I went up 10 pounds -- AACK!! And with cold weather here in Washington State and shorter days, the outside walking/jogging is just about over.
    November goals --
    drink more water
    do step aerobics tape 5 days a week at home
    do eliptical training 2 times a week
  • doobiedoo
    doobiedoo Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I've been away from the treadmill for several months, but instead of jumping back on where I left off, I am doing 10 minutes/day this week and will increase until I'm back up to goal.
    By way of things that work for me: I have 'safe' zones that I go back to when I get out of balance, meals that I know I can have without getting more calories than I want. I also have quit making desserts again for my own self-preservation. If the kids want a dessert they are welcome to make it themselves, but are not to ask if I want any. My husband is good to buy cookies or ice cream for he and the children if they feel like they need something. We have definitely changed:flowerforyou: our eating habits this past year. We've gone from a dessert at lunch and dinner to sometimes no dessert at all! I keep fruit around and the kids are getting to the point they would just as soon have the fruit. Being calorie conscious has been a good thing for all of us.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    bradybrookes-

Welcome from a fellow Washingtonian.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: There is another one on this thread as well, Barbiecat. I am in the southern part of the state in Portland metro area, how about you?

Congrats on the 100 lbs gone!! :drinker: :drinker: I am glad you had success w/WW. I am cheap, :laugh: so when I decided to make a change in April, I looked around for someplace that I could keep track of things and communicate with others without paying out $$$ or trying to make "meetings." MFP has been a godsend. You will find the support and encouragement you need here, and even though you have been on your fitness journey for awhile, you will likely learn some new tips from the ladies here.

Good luck with those last pesky pounds.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: It sounds like we both have about the same amount we are working toward losing.

Barb
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Hello my dear friends,
    Again, because I am at work, I can't address each post but just went quickly through them. Lots going on. Rosemarie, good luck on your son's wedding and bradybrooks....welcome!:flowerforyou:

I find the simpler I keep things.... the better. :wink:

I "simply" try to stay away from foods that I tend to overeat or cause me to want more.:grumble:

I "simply" keep my calories to 1200 a day plus whatever I exercise. :smile:

I "simply" keep junk food out of my house so it doesn't tempt me, and keep plenty of healthy food available at all times.:tongue:

I "simply" get busy when food thoughts start to invade my brain (It's in my mind....before it on my behind:laugh: :laugh: )

I "simply" am grateful for the incentive to do something after being in a restrictive body for the last 15 years and am grateful for this site and all you lovely and supportive ladies.:love:

And I "simply" thank God and take it one day at a time:flowerforyou:

Some may think that you are depriving the others in the family by keeping only healthy foods in your house...but I have to say that my temperment and moods have been so "sweet" lately, that my family doesn't mind!:laugh: :laugh: If they want something sweet....give them sweet lovin!:laugh: :laugh:

As many know my MIL is in the hospital, from a stroke, and I have been cleaning out her apartment. As soon as I found out she, most likely, won't be coming home, I threw out all her desserts, cookies, candies, ice cream etc. (She has a sweet tooth the size of Texas!!!:laugh: :laugh: )
    If, by some miracle, she comes home, I will be more than happy to go out and buy the junk and put it back. But for now, I need to do....what I need to do...and my husband is absolutely thrilled with the results of my weight loss:blushing: In fact, he said, now that the treats are not calling to him...HE would like to try to lose some weight! In fact, he told me the other day, when I was looking for some clothes that WEREN'T too big....that I have absolutely no idea just how much of a difference the 26 lbs has made!! Wow...that was worth a lot! :bigsmile: But even if he didn't notice...I NOTICE and am having the time of my life looking at potential outfits that were just out of the question 26 lbs ago.

Stay focused on positive things and you'll get positive results.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Have a great day. :flowerforyou: Will try to check in again if I have the time.:smooched:
    BirdieM:heart:
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    :smile:smile: :smile: BirdieM--I like your "simple" rules. Since I have no self control I also have to keep it "simple".

I "simply" cannot have any food in the house that I will be tempted to over indulge in.

I "simply" have to pack my low calorie lunch and take it with me to work. Going out to lunch with co-workers always gets me in trouble even when I plan to only have a salad.

If I know I'm going to be gone all day I "simply" must take nutritious food with me so I'm not tempted to swing into a fast food joint.

When making dinner for the family I "simply" have to fix something low calorie for me that will substiute for the potatoes and other starchy foods I fix for them.

And a big congrats that your husband took notice of all your hard work........:wink::wink:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ran from when I got up until I got home. I didn't have time for breakfast nor did I have time to stop and eat. I only had like 400 calories for the day at dinner time. So with all those extra calories waiting to be eaten, I had one of my all time favorite high calorie dinners - chicken pot pie!

I was still under my calories for the day!

Today was back to normal.

I will catch up with posts later.

Good evening everyone.

Jeannie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Birdie and SheilaJane, thank you for all the "simply" perfect weight loss simplicities
    :flowerforyou: When offered birthday cake, I "simply" say "NO"

I need to be in touch with all of you instead of relying on the people in the outside world who try to fill my head with doubts. When I got down to 150 from 183 I started getting suggestions that I'd lost enough weight and looked "just perfect". Other people worried that I was depriving myself of the fun in life. You have all supported me.

Today was my weigh in day and I lost another pound which puts me one pound away from my original goal which may be a good one and four pounds from my new goal . With the holidays coming up, I want to redouble my efforts to stay focused so when I'm faced with holiday parties I don't undo all my good work.

We've been invited to dinner at a friend's house tonight. We're eating later than I'm used to and even though they know a bit about how we eat, there's no guarantee that the food they serve will really fit in with how I eat. So........instead of stressing over it, I decided to keep in touch with MFP friends and tell my brain to "shut up" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: bradybrookes----I never tried WW because I wanted nothing to do with groups or anything formal. I found MFP by accident when looking for the calories count in something. I have no idea why I took to it so quickly but it has been my lifeline since February, especially this thread.

:flowerforyou: The applesauce adventures continues. We saw the apple lady this morning and she said that she'd given nine boxes of apples to someone else. I think we're about half way through our six boxes now. We'll have a wonderful winter of apples for snacks, oatmeal and applesauce in the evening, applesauce in our Isagenix shakes, and the best of all
    pumpkin/squash apple soup.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: doobiedoo, that is so great about your family eating healthier

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Heather, your great story has motivated me to put squats into my exercise routine:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Becky, you are more disciplined than I:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i could never eat just one chocolate peanut butter cup.

best wishes to all of you for continued steps forward and no self-recrimination for steps backward. together we can do this hugs :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Barbie
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Just caught up on the posts......

It is really inspiring to see all the different ways we look at things and keep trying to get where we need to be in life. When fustration is shared by so many, it doesn't seem so bad nor so overwelming.

Years ago I tried WW and gained 4 lbs. I thought the lady that got me into it would be disappointed or scolding that I didn't do it right. Instead she just smiled, gave me a hug and said it doesn't work for everyone, you will need to find your own way to loose weight. We are still friends and she is still in WW. lol

We are truly changing our lives and we will succeed.

Jeannie
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Wonderful to read todays posts. Like visiting with family. No exercise today but I only ate 300 calories.
    Long day but so great to have this done. Aren't we blessed to have these health care options available to us? Onward and upward. \ Thank You /

Night All Alice
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning Barbie. You sounds so much like me. I also have people saying that I should stop losing...that I am looking too thin. I am just a couple of pounds below an unhealthy BMI.:noway: I also set small goals and then when I reach them I set another. My ticker shows that I have only three pounds to go but when I get rid of them I will set a new goal.

:flowerforyou: Alice, you seriously only ate 300 calories yesterday? Didn't you feel as if you were starving?

I am down another pound. This makes a total of four lost since I began my strength class.
  • sheilajane
    sheilajane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yeah !!! :happy: ::happy: :happy: I'm in the 130's for the first time in 3 years !!!

:smile: Swissmiss: I am also down one pound this week. Feels good doesn't it ?

:smile: Barbiecat: "Simply say no" works so well when you finally get your brain and your stomach on the same wave lenth. As for dinner at your friend's house...just eat something before you go. That way you won't be starving and tempted to eat too much of what they serve.

:smile: jam0525: I love those days when I don't have time to eat all day, then can enjoy something really good at dinner.

have a great weekend ladies. It's supposed to be sunny and in the 70's all weekend here in the Bluegrass State of Kentucky.
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Its weigh and measure day for me. It just occurred to me I am well over the halfway point. So far I'm down 32 pounds, with 24 more to go to reach a healthy BMI. I'm always a bit surprised when I measure to see where the weight came off this time, for I always lose as much as an inch in some places and only fractions in others. So far I've lost 3 pounds this month, which puts me a week ahead on my November goal.

With mowing season over, I started cooking supper for our Friday night date with the inlaws instead of us taking them out. My MiL just found out what we've all suspected for years ~ that she's diabetic~ so she's happy to know I have things she can eat. Makes it much easier and tastier to stay within my calorie limits.

I've been thinking about how my eating habits have changed since finding this thread, last February. For the first time ever, I can take or leave, sweets, bread, and Dr Pepper. I don't even miss the pasta or potatoes! I eat lots of MUFAs and rarely a day goes by without eating a green salad. I sometimes go for for weeks without eating red meat ~ I don't miss it either. Eating healthy has "simply" become so natural for me, I honestly don't miss the old way at all.

:noway: My SiL was shocked when I told her I had no plans to make Christmas candy this year. I honestly don't WANT any!

Happy Friday y'all! :drinker:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    I am trying this cut and paste thing. I am writing my post on Word Pad and will attach later. Bear with me if it does not turn out right.
    I will begin with me and then address each of you.
    Well going to the gym in the morning does make a tremendous difference. We did not go this morning. Kenneth got so many calls during the night. It disrupted our sleep. Then he had to go in to work at 4 am. I was not going to the gym alone at 4 am so set the clock for 5:30. But did not to. It is okay cause since it is Friday we can go tonight. However, I am really tired today. I really see the difference in how it makes me feel.
    Something else I thought of when Susie asked for what we did to lose. I am not criticizing anything any of you do just commenting on what works for me. While I limit my caloreis to around 1200 per day, it does matter what kind of calories I eat. I have to eat lean meat(mostly chicken and turkey) and vegetables and fruits. I have occasional bread and very occasional potaotes. Sweet treats and other special treats are okay every now and again, but substituting these for good foods on a daily basis doesnt work for me. Just food for thought.
    Heather, I hope your son feels better. I know how you feel about going to the clinic. My mom used to say that going to the doctor sometimes made you worse. Life does get in the way but just get back on track. You can do this. Sometimes our bodies do need a rest.
    Rosemary, I hope the rain goes away so you can enjoy your walks. If not just keep Leslie company. I commend you ladies who do this. I just dont enjoy the dvd workouts even though I own most of them.
    bradybrookes, wow 100 pounds. that is awesome. You have come to the right place. we love and support each other on a daily basis. I know that I would not be where I am without these lovely ladies. Your granddaughter is precious. I have 4 granddaughers, 2 grandsons and one on the way.
    Doobiedoo you have to do what works for you. Just keep on going. Just think of how much good you are doing your family by removing that junk. NoOne fusses us for giving them junk but when we take it away they fuss. I babysit my grandchildren and I give them as healthy food as I can. they love it. I dont deny them treats but it is not an everyday thing.
    BirdieM nice to hear from you. You have been busy. Those compliments from hubby mean so much to us. It is amazing how when we lost those few pounds they make such a difference but when we gain it takes us forever to realize what a difference it has made. My hubby compliments me on a daily basis now and I love it. He will whistle, look, pat my but when I pass. I sometimes wonder what he really thought of me fat. Keep up the good work.
    Sheila Jane your are right, simple is sometimes best. You keep up the good work.
    Jeannie, 400 calories. How did you survive girl. Try to eat a little more today.
    Barbie,
    Another pound, Yipee. You go girl. I am so jealous cause you are so close to your goal. I know I will get there. Have to have patience. You know how obssessed you and I can be. Eat a light soemthing before you dinner and then go and chose the best things to have there. I know easier said than done. If your friends know they will understand if you dont eat much. I have found that if you dont bring attention most times no one really notices what you eat anyway.
    Alice, 300 calories how did you do that?
    Becky another pound Yippee for you. Keep it up girl.
    sheilajane, another pound and in the 130's. Great for you girl. Enjoy your nice weather. Beautiful here also and supposed to last most of weekend.
    Susie Q. Great job. YOu are so right. I do not miss my old ways at all. How did we ever live that way is amazing to me. Keep up the good work. You are very inspiring. I saw those shoes at a store yesterday. I just bought a new pair of tennis so maybe when I need some more, I will invest in them.
    Well I did it ladies, now lets see if I can get it to the post without losing it. Have a good day and a great weekend.
    Vicki M
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Vicki;

Periodontal surgery led to the small calorie count. Can't get anything in my mouth. Managed a small amount of avacado, mashed, low sodium beef broth, water, tomato juice, and a little cottage cheese.

Here's hoping for more today, I feel much better. This is not a method of calorie reduction I would recommend.:noway:

Alice
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Good morning ladies, just dropped in while I take a water break and log in my exercise & food. Still raining here:grumble: they have put Sussex County, DE. in a state of emergency because of the weather, a lot of low lying flooding here. The wind is blowing like crazy. I keep looking out and expect to see a cow blow by.:laugh: LOL LOL LOL There is a church down the road that is made to look like the Ark. I am keeping a close eye on it. If the water starts risin' tooo much and I see alot of animals walking two by two, I am gathering my family and :wink: moving in. Leslie and I are really getting to be goood friends. People are going to start talking with all the time we spend together these days. :laugh: Well I gotta get back to cleaning. Everyone have a wonderful day and keep up the good work, Rosemary
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Rosemary-

Just read your post about the rain. Don't float away!!!:laugh:

SheilaJane-

Congrats on the 130's. By this time next year that is where I hope to be.

Not much time to post now.

Happy Friday the 13th Everyone!!:smile:

Barb