WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER

Options

Replies

• laniv
    laniv Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I went on a joyful morning bike ride - 60 degrees, sunny, and gorgeous here in New York. Then picked up bagels and lox for a relaxing brunch with my husband (only 1/2 bagel for me). Now we're off to shop for clothes for him. I'm waiting until I lose 10 pounds to reward myself with some new clothes.

Enjoy the day, and thanks to all of you for the encouraging words.
  • heartrw
    heartrw Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Blessed Sunday to all. I'm busy trying to survive the diet nightmare weekend from you-know-where. Stayover company Friday and Saturday nights, 50th Anniversary open house and dinner celebration for a sister and brother-in-law yesterday, going to friend's tonight for dinner and wine, tomorrow is sibiling lunch and a matinee and dinner out for our 35th anniversary. The good side (and there always is a good side) is getting to see friends, happy celebrations and loved ones everywhere you turn!:love:

Today it's double exercise but it's a beautiful day so I'm off to walk to the nursing home to see MIL, grocery store for the avocado I need for the salad for tonight, and then back home. Hope everyone has a great Sunday. :heart: Terri
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    No time to read posts fr Saturday yet, but just a quick WOOO HOOO!! to say when my ticker updates, it will say 45 lbs GONE!!!!!!:drinker: :drinker:

On my way out the door...will return later today to catch up.

Barb
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi Barb. Congrats on the 45 pound lose.:smile:

:flowerforyou: Terri, I have the most trouble eating healthy on the weekends. I don't have any problems during the week while I am at work. I eat only what I have packed.

:flowerforyou: Laniv10142, I bought small jeans last month and they are already too big on me. Can't talk my husband into buying me more at this time.:sad:

:flowerforyou: Vicki M, I am having the same problem with buying a dress for my son's wedding coming up in June. I understand that his girlfriend wants me to go to an exclusive bridal shop for my dress as her mother is doing this. I will wait a while longer. Hopefully, she will allow me to go to a cheaper store.

The only exercise I got today was to watch my dog play with the neighbor's dog. At least the dogs got a workout.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Good Morning, the sun is shining and the dogs let me sleep until 7 so by the time I took them out I didn't need to use a flashlight :bigsmile: I'm glad we don't all weigh in on the same day so we can celebrate each weight loss individually.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, your dilemma about the dress has me stumped. If you really love the dress, ask about the return policy and use that to help you make your decision. What is shopping like where you live? I live in a small town 50+ long miles to a mall so I'd be less trusting that I'd find something again than someone who lives in a metro area with tons of stores. I don't doubt that you'll lose the weight you expect to lose, but what if you lose more and the dress ends up looking like a muu muu because it's too big. Counsel with others and prayer and meditation are the recipe for making any decision.

:flowerforyou: doobiedoo, as long as you keep checking in with us every day, you are taking steps forward. today will be a better day.

:flowerforyou: laniv----keep up the good work, buying new clothes is the best reward of all

:flowerforyou: Barb, congratulations on another pound gone forever. Enjoy your extra day to yourself

:flowerforyou: terri, you have such a great attitude about getting together with friends. it will serve you well.

hugs to all:heart::heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • laniv
    laniv Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    SwissMiss, I wish my ticker said 4 pounds to go! Good for you! I took off about 20 lbs before joining mfp. I'm down 2 sizes, and my new clothes are getting a bit loose on me. It feels so great!
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Hello all;

I have been lurking again. Bad me! Mostly I have been among the walking ill with whatever this bad bug is that is going around. Just haven't been able to shake it, and I have been moving pretty fast. Possibly sitting sill would help but I have never done that very well.

Great to see so many new people posting and I am so happy to see all the progress that is being made.

Vicki, what a great dilema to have. Do you have any one in the area who does alterations or does the store have some one? I had to have my dress altered for my sons wedding and the shop did a great job.

I am so impressed with you all and the great progress you are making.

For those of us who have not dropped weight, we just have to stay in the game, everything we are doing is good for us. I had a life insurance physical recently and the nurse was amazed at my blood pressure took it 4 times. 100/62 I hadf to reassure her that was normal for me and all was well.

Have a wonderful Sunday and new week. Alice
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Hi....remember me? :huh: Ive been finding it hard to spend quality time posting or even reading the posts this past week as it's been busy at work and at home.My mil is still in the hospital, so I've been working hard to clean out her appartment, after work, in the event she comes home. My youngest daughter (who lives with us) had the Swine flu this week and my grandaughter (my middle daughter's child) was very sick....thought she had it too:noway: My oldest daughter was fighting to keep her house from going into foreclosure and the list goes on. HOWEVER, God is good and keeps us strong. I have been disciplined and lost another 2 lbs this week. :bigsmile: The sickies are all getting better, my daughter did not lose her house, at least for now, and the sun is shining. :flowerforyou: IT'S A BEAUTIFUL SUNDAY...PRAISE GOD! I prayed for all of you( affectionably called my "thread people") (this thread and the Goldens Sneakers thread, ) last week while on retreat. I never forget you! :love:
    One of the beneficial thoughts I took back after the retreat was this....to never look back but prepare for a grace filled future...God has promised it. So basically, live life without rear view mirrors :laugh: and have EXPECTANT faith even when it's tough! So, as I wait for my daughter to visit, I am grateful for the sunshine, life, relationships....and...oh yes losing another 2 lbs.:blushing:
    This week looks like it will be very busy again, and I may seem to be missing in action...but I am not!
    God bless you all and if I can I'll post.
    BirdieM:smooched:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Well, I finally got to the yard work I wanted to do yesterday. My wheelbarrow broke:frown: Of course, it needs a special bolt, but hubby patched up so at least I could use it for light stuff. Working outside is tiring, but it's a feel good tired.

It's great to see and read all of the posts. So many new people, so many successes and so many trials and tribulations. It really does help those posting and those reading. I wish I had the time to comment each one.

Enjoy the rest of your day,

Jeannie
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: BirdieM, I love your attitude. You are so uplifting. Please keep posting.

:flowerforyou: Jeannie, I'll bet that you burned quite a lot of calories doing your yard work. Hope that your wheelbarrow gets fixed right and soon.

:flowerforyou: Alice, is your Yorkie a girl or a boy? I have a boy.

:flowerforyou: Laniv10142...My ticker is showing my latest goal. I will probably change it when I have lost those four pounds. I don't want to lose more then 15 more pounds total. I think that I will be at a good weight at that time.

My exercise for today?....I just cleaned out my car. Vacuumed and cleaned all the inside surfaces.
  • kcfva122
    Options
    Hello, all,

It's an unbelievable day here in Northern Virginia - 78 degrees! Indian summer - yesterday it was 30 when I went out walking. Bad part is I discovered that the air conditioning in my car is on the blink - so tomorrow I get to find out how many $$$$$ it will cost me! :grumble:

Thanks for all the sympathy and good wishes about my school issues. As far as the administration is concerned - for all kinds of reasons it would be counterproductive to get them involved. These days it's all about handling your own problems and keeping the parents happy. It's past now, I hope.

I took a friend to lunch today and I think I did pretty well. I tried my best to log what I think the calories should be and I'm 15 over. I could go out and walk for a few minutes and take care of that. We'll see....
    When I got home I found that Moses had knocked a planter out of the window onto the floor. I picked it up but still have to clean up the mess. Love those animals!

:flowerforyou: Barbie, that's a brand new picture, isn't it? I went and looked at all your pictures. What an awesome difference. I'm more like your first picture with the muffin top - can't wait to get rid of it.

:smile: Swiss Miss - I hear you about having trouble on the weekends. That;'s actually when I do the best. It's those evenings after work that are problematic for me.

:flowerforyou: Birdie, you have so much on your plate, yet you are still so positive about life. You are amazing!

Have a lovely afternoon and evening, everyone. I'm off to vacuum the floor!

Karen
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good evening,
    Thanks for all of the advice. i will weigh it all and decide on something. I believe I am thinking like when I was really fat that it will be hard to find something when in reality now that I have lost it is so much easier to shop. I will let you know what I decide. SwissMiss I would push to let you get your dress at another type of store. The bridal stores are riduculous on prices. You can find a dress just as nice at any other store for more than half the price. Try to get her to compromise. Ask her what color and style she would really like and go out and find something and then ask for her approval. I guess you cant do this to future daughter-in-law but she needs to concentrate on the marriage more than the wedding. Hope that helps. Good luck with that. My daugher-in-law is awesome. My maybe future daughter-in-law is another story. So glad to hear from so many. Will see you tomorrow.
    Vicki M
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Swissmiss; the yorky in my profile is a male, I have several. They keep me laughing. That little boys name is Wonderland's Stardust Devil. His name comes from his bloodlines, I call him Dusty, he is a great game little dog, and a great cuddler. My oldest Yorkie is my Chopper, he is 13 and starting to have some problems. It will be a very sad day when he passes, he is my constant companion.
    How old is your yorkie. I see several of us have Yorkies. Aren't they great!
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Good Morning and good evening,

We spent the day dealing wih life. Didn't even make it to church. Jose had to work and then we went to buy a car. When the dealer asked which car we wanted, and I said we didnt know. He stuck his nose in the air and said, "have a good day and walked off! I looked at Jose and he looked at me and we took it as a sign of God that we needed to get the heck out of there.

So we did. Anyways, to make a long story short, Jose lost 2 pds and I lost 1. And you know what? I'm happy. I'll take it. If I do this every week for the next 52 weeks, I'll weigh less than 200 pds and that I could have done last year but wanted more and lost nothing!

But one other thing. My pants are baggy from last week and my tummy is much smaller so I must be doing something right. And one more thing. I told the girl at the kids school that I would drop off the stuff but that I could not help. Alright. You can teach a old dog new tricks. Woof. Be blessed, kc

And, about that new dress vickie. I'd find one you love in one size too small. And hang it on the outside of your closet.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I swear when I woke up this morning my panus had shrunk again. My weight is the same though.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi Vicki,

I am throwing my 2 cents worth in on the "Dilemma of the Dress" or should I say "Dresses?" Anyway, there IS much to be said for using the smaller size as motivation, but there is much to be said for a plan "B" in case all the motivation in the world can't shrink you enough to fit in to the smaller size.

My solution assumes you have the means to purchase BOTH sizes. Assuming that is possible, find out the store's return policy. Let us hope it is 90 days. In a little less than 90 days, you try on the size 14. If its looking like you are going to make it into that size, return the 16--end of problem. If it is looking like the 16 is what you will need to wear, then return the samller size. Either way, you end up with a dress in the right size.

Another possibility is to find out if the store can order in the correct size if you purchase one and guess wrong.

Good luck.

Barb
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I've always had a strong policy of only buying clothes in the size I am at and only keeping clothes in my closet that are the size that I am. I started this when I realized I was throwing my life away waiting to be the perfect size. I decide to live life at the size I was at and that included buying clothes that fit me and I could wear *now*.

Anyway, if it was me, I'd be shopping for the dress a few weeks before the wedding and it would all be moot. :laugh:

Now, when I got married, I had a similar situation. I had to order my dress WAY in advance and I was on Nutri/system and doing well and I was sure I'd be down a few sizes by the time my wedding came around. But the bridal shop refused to order the dress in any size but the one I was in. They said that they had too many experiences with brides coming to pick up their dress and being BIGGER than when they ordered it even though they were dieting. They said it was easy to take in a dress but there was a limit to how much they could let it out.

So I ordered a size 16 and, when the dress came, I was in size 12 and they basically remade the dress over my body. The end result was that I got a custom bride gown for the price of a ready-made plus alterations! I was a lot happier with the new sleeves they gave me over the ones the dress had to start with too. It all worked out for the better and I was happy the bridal shop had insisted we do it the way we did.

Can you put both dresses on layaway and then only pay for the one that fits when the time comes? I know a lot of stores don't have layaway these days, but I've notice it's coming back. The other thing you can do is buy the dress that fits now and, if it doesn't fit in April, have it taken in or go out and celebrate your weight loss by buying a new dress. :happy:
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning all

I am crazy busy at work with having had a couple of days sick in bed last week. Payday is going to be sad this time. Oh well. My daughter is better and now my son is sick. Soon we will have all had this bug and life will get back to normal - whatever that is:laugh:

Vicki - You are going strong Great job:flowerforyou: My opinion is: first of all to me, the person paying gets to pick what to spend and where to purchase. I think its nice to oblige by getting the colour the bride wants but that's about the extent of their involvement. Second, once that colour is determined, shop around and put the size you are in at that time, and the size smaller on lay-away. Buying the smaller size is what you working so hard for and with your determination I'm sure you'll make it. It could turn out that the bridal shop has the perfect dress and you feel like splurging on yourself because you deserve it:smokin:

Now time to 'fess up I haven't been posting much because I feel like a fraud when I do. I have had such a backward slide with my plan and, although I really enjoy reading about all the success, I feel foolish for not keeping up. There I said it out loud!!! I know all is not lost (or regained) because in my heart I still have a plan. I am disappointed in myself because I am still 10 lbs up but I have decided to start over with the words of wisdom from some of you ringing in my ears. After all, you are a smart bunch:flowerforyou:

So toward that end, today I WILL:
    drink 75 oz of water
    do 45 min of cardio and the weight circuit at the gym - 3 sets of 12-10-8 reps
    have planned food only - no exceptions - no left over cheesecake:blushing:

I will be thinking of you people and imagine your encouraging words helping me along on my journey.

Heather
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good MOrning ladies,
    First let me say thank you all for the advice and opinions. I really appreciate all ot them. I really like to look at things from all angles. I took Kenneth(hubby) today to see the dress on me. He loved it because it really looked good and it was purple. LSU colors. I did not get it today. I have a coupon that expires on the 22 of nov. so plan to go back before than to make my final decision. I never thought of buying both and returning the one that did not fit. That sounds like a pretty good idea if they have good return policy. Even if I get store credit, I shop there all the time so that would work. If any of you are really interested it is from Dress Barn. It is a feature dress this month. It is purple and it has layers of fabric overlapping from bodice to hem. Kind of like a flapper dress. I would have never tried one like this on but did for some reason and really looks nice. I think next time I go I will try the 10 on to see how tight it is. I have lots of time so it really is not as big a problem as I am making it.
    Heather it does not matter if you have slipped or not. We still want to hear from you. I am sorry you were ill and hope you feel better. I understand how you feel though. I only post when I lose weight not when I gain. Just one of those games I play. Are you still going to the gym. I guess being sick slowed you down. It is only 10 pounds. You can get it off and go from there. Everyone else good job and talk to you later.
    Vicki M
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Vickie M- several have already mentioned the layaway route. That might be the best way to go. Then you will have both dresses, but only have to pay for one in the end. Just be sure to check the store's policies. Good luck, Jeannie