Is breakfast necessary??

Options

Replies

• ichigo007
    Options
    Dr. James North, A nutrionist at Toledo hosptial in the ER., Jose Parodi M.D., a Toledo Hospital RN, a Toledo Hospital BSN, A Saint Charles RN with specialzation in Nutrition, Dr. Bruce Hillard, Dr. Mark Hillard., My Aunt who has been a nurse for over 30 years are some of the mediavl doctors I have taked too.

Medieval doctors?

Do you mind if I call these people and ask them their opinion on men vs. women in terms of metabolism boosting in the morning?
    Go ahead. I don't give a crap. They are all doctors and nurses that have treated me or I know personally. I suffer from server gastric reflux and have recently been told by my Doctor I have prediabeties mainly because it runs in my family and I have in the past not eaten right and not eaten a good balanced diet with exercise and gain a crap load of weight. Hense why I use MFP and Exercise regularly and eat a minimum of 3 meals sometimes more specially on days I exercise. I listen to my doctors and have had extremely good remarks from them on my quick healing and good health increases.
  • ichigo007
    Options
    ichigo007:
    You should eat after breakfast because your body will go into a like starvation mode and it will mess with your metabolisim for the day and your body will start loading on fat. Breakfast also boost your metabolism and kicks starts it for the day. This is especially needed for woman.
    I did not say anything about Metabolic rate with this study.
    The study I posted was not part of that post or to explain that post. If you are going to take little parts of every post that where answering different subject mater then you should get a life.

The first quote you posted from my first post was on eating breakfast because your body was fasting while you where sleeping and that basically any changes in diet or not eating after a fast can affect your metabolic rate.

The second quote you posted from another post that I had posted was a study showing some importance on eating breakfast and snacks above and beyond just lunch and dinner loose more weight and keep it off
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes breakfast is very important. When you wake up your body is at a fasting glucose low. If you do not eat your blood sugar will fluctuate to a very low number and then jump up quickly once you do eat. Eventually your body may not be able to regulate the insulin properly. I never ate breakfast because I wasn't hungry. That and intentional fasting (starving myself to lose weight) has messed my insulin up so it isn't properly regulating itself. I am now type 2 diabetic and struggling to stay off medications. If you are not hungry I find that a piece of fruit or 1 Piece of toast is sufficient. The main goal is to keep your blood sugar regulated on an even keel so you don't. Have continuous spikes and then crash to a low number.
    Oh yes once your body realizes it is starving it will struggle to hold onto every ounce of fat that it can making it harder to lose weight. It is best to spread your calories (ENERGY) evenly throughout the day.
  • baddbob
    baddbob Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Okay. I'm sure it varies, but take it from someone who has struggled with weight for years. I rarely ate breakfast because I was never hungry in the morning. I changed my eating habits in January. I now try to eat 6 times a day and rarely miss breakfast. I even eat when I am not hungry. This keeps the metabolism burning and active. It keeps me from getting hungrier and I am never "starving" so smaller portions and healthier portions are working for me. I just hit my target weight today of 210 pounds. I haven't weighed this little since my football days in High School. I'm 55 years old, so it feels pretty good. Eating breakfast, even when I'm not hungry, works for me. I'm sticking to it. This weight loss has been VERY easy for me. 77 pounds in 7 months.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Oh yes once your body realizes it is starving it will struggle to hold onto every ounce of fat that it can making it harder to lose weight.

Only if you're eating too few calories.
  • ichigo007
    Options
    I guess the biggest problem with some of these attacking posters is they have nothing better to do than to force there opinions on others and laugh and attack others who give there opinions and make spelling errors typing. I have not seen any set information that backs the backlash that I have received from the other posters that proves my opinion or info is wrong. I am not saying my information is wrong or correct but I do not understand why I am being attacked for not being as perfect and GOD like the other posters in this topic. I am sorry for posting. You all are right I am not worthy of a opinion or being human. I will go and Eat my breakfast and continue to loose weigh and gain lean muscle and be healthy. I don't care if you eat breakfast or not. I was only voicing what I was told.
  • MGoodElite9
    MGoodElite9 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    9 out of 10 towels agree that, yes, towels are necessary.

http://southpark.wikia.com/wiki/Towelie

Anyone else notice that the person who created the thread seems to have no interest in replying while everyone else bickers. This crap is more annoying than politics.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Oh yes once your body realizes it is starving it will struggle to hold onto every ounce of fat that it can making it harder to lose weight.

Only if you're eating too few calories.

does this include my exercise calories?
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Anyone else notice that the person who created the thread seems to have no interest in replying while everyone else bickers. This crap is more annoying than politics.

"Don't forget to bring a towel"
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    does this include my exercise calories?

No only your carb calories except if you ate fiber then those calories magically become part of your water intake for the day
  • MGoodElite9
    MGoodElite9 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Okay. I'm sure it varies, but take it from someone who has struggled with weight for years. I rarely ate breakfast because I was never hungry in the morning. I changed my eating habits in January. I now try to eat 6 times a day and rarely miss breakfast. I even eat when I am not hungry. This keeps the metabolism burning and active. It keeps me from getting hungrier and I am never "starving" so smaller portions and healthier portions are working for me. I just hit my target weight today of 210 pounds. I haven't weighed this little since my football days in High School. I'm 55 years old, so it feels pretty good. Eating breakfast, even when I'm not hungry, works for me. I'm sticking to it. This weight loss has been VERY easy for me. 77 pounds in 7 months.

Kudos Bob, stick with it because you will see that your body will just keep getting better. I'm sure someone will have to tell you that they have some friend that did it without eating breakfast and just eating cigarettes and smoking coffee...but who cares. Keep up the good work!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Necessary - YES
    Awesome - YES
    According to studies, breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day, it's what gets your metabolism hopping. 3oz protein and some fruits or veggies is a healthy way to a new day :D

What studies?
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Necessary - YES
    Awesome - YES
    According to studies, breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day, it's what gets your metabolism hopping. 3oz protein and some fruits or veggies is a healthy way to a new day :D

What studies?

WHY COULDN'T YOU LET THIS DIE!?!?!?!?!?!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

but you CAN airdry without a towel. I mean, towels make the process of getting dry quicker but are they NECESSARY? Or is that subjective?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    For everyone that says that breakfast 'kick starts your metabolism' or other such silliness, have you not noticed that there are numerous studies linked here that show that there is no metabolic impact of meal timing, calories and macros being equal. There is not a single credible source stating that it does. If it exists, I (and many others I am sure) would love to see them.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Necessary - YES
    Awesome - YES

What studies?

WHY COULDN'T YOU LET THIS DIE!?!?!?!?!?!

Sorry, I missed the 15 minute cut off for posting on a thread! :tongue:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    beating-a-dead-horse.gif
  • mirasmom02
    Options
    Even just having a piece of fruit and some milk is better than nothing...your body needs to know when to start "burning" & if you don't give it anything to "burn" when you start your day, it'll tend to "hold on" to the calories/fat you give it a few hours later at lunch time...so, yes, technically you really SHOULD eat breakfast & it really DOES get your metabolism going...
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am really getting a kick out of this idea that if you don't eat breakfast, your body is going to go all "I'll teach you!" and stop burning calories.

Oh, and the people who say "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" are the same people who promote the stupid food pyramid. Don't be one of those people.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    I do not know if eating boosts your metabolism or not but I do know on mornings where I have a lite breakfast (bananna or bowl of cereal and tea with honey) and work out I have more energy and endurance during the workout. I burn more calories on these mornings and I have a feeling that it is a result of eating breakfast because I can work harder. I have tracked both mornings with breakfast and mornings without breakfast using my HR monitor and everytime I eat I do burn about 20% more calories.