Is breakfast necessary??

Options

Replies

• epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I give up on this thread. No matter how many rational and logical posts I see from people debunking the myth that breakfast somehow "kickstarts your metabolism" or prevents your body from entering "starvation mode," more and more people just keep chiming in repeating those nonsensical claims. Provide some *scientific* research to prove your points or else stop trying to give people advice that you can't back up.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i'm assuming you're also one of those people who believe you shouldn't eat past 7 o'clock...

totally thought the same thing.
  • ichigo007
    Options
    Absolutly need to eat breakfast after you wake up hense the name BREAK FAST. You should eat after breakfast because your body will go into a like starvation mode and it will mess with your metabolisim for the day and your body will start loading on fat. Breakfast also boost your metabolism and kicks starts it for the day. This is especially needed for woman.

Why, exactly, is it especially needed for a woman? This is the kind of stuff that gets tossed around for no good reason.

You will not go into starvation mode if you don't eat breakfast. If you don't eat anything for days, yes, your body will go into starvation mode, but not if you eat breakfast a few hours later than most people.
    I was not talking like Starvation mode where you have not been eating for days more of your body is looking for food because you have not eaten for 7 to 8 hours and it wants food. Women need a a high protein breakfast to kick start there metabolism in the morning more than a man does because something to different hormones and how the 2 genders body works. Just saying what different medical professions have told me not something I read on some site. if its not true then oh well.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Absolutly need to eat breakfast after you wake up hense the name BREAK FAST. You should eat after breakfast because your body will go into a like starvation mode and it will mess with your metabolisim for the day and your body will start loading on fat. Breakfast also boost your metabolism and kicks starts it for the day. This is especially needed for woman.

Why, exactly, is it especially needed for a woman? This is the kind of stuff that gets tossed around for no good reason.

You will not go into starvation mode if you don't eat breakfast. If you don't eat anything for days, yes, your body will go into starvation mode, but not if you eat breakfast a few hours later than most people.
    I was not talking like Starvation mode where you have not been eating for days more of your body is looking for food because you have not eaten for 7 to 8 hours and it wants food. Women need a a high protein breakfast to kick start there metabolism in the morning more than a man does because something to different hormones and how the 2 genders body works. Just saying what different medical professions have told me not something I read on some site. if its not true then oh well.

The only thing that can do something somewhat similar to a metabolic kick start is a serious resistance workout - not meal timing.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Women need a a high protein breakfast to kick start there metabolism in the morning more than a man does because something to different hormones and how the 2 genders body works. Just saying what different medical professions have told me not something I read on some site. if its not true then oh well.

Are you sure you didn't read this from advertisements on the internet? People who believe phrases like "jump-start" or "boost your metabolism" are usually the people who are targeted by advertising companies because they lack critical thinking skills.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    From WebMD:
    Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/?page=1

This is the extreme btw.

Fasting actually promotes cAMP.
    Cyclic AMP http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_adenosine_monophosphate
    This helps preserve protein while burning fat in a fasted state.
    You cannot have this while fed BTW.
    In simple terms:

Fasting causes stress that activates inner cellular process that forces synthesis of growth stimulating hormones.
    This process also forces the body to turn glycogen and fat storage into energy.
    While fasted a cascade of phosphorylation events by kinase enzymes amplify cAMP actions that break glycogen reserves in the liver and induce lipolysis in fat cells.
    It also helps produce more GH as well as IGF1.

Sounds like a win win situation.

I have better insulin sensitivity.
    I have better GH output when I sleep.
    I can eat just about anything I like and lose fat.
    I can sleep in and skip breakfast for a metabolic double whammy.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you want to save the calories until lunch, I guess that's up to you. Personally I don't always feel like eating in the morning, but if I don't eat I know I will crash and then end up overeating badly at lunch.

If I really don't feel like breakfast, or I find myself not having much time in the morning, I tend to drink 2 cans of slim fast. Not ideal, but as I say I know I'll crash at lunchtime if I don't.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options

^^^ Wow... There's some great scientific reasoning in this post...
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Classic MFP thread.

BRB kickstarting my metabolism.

H0Whs.gif
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm super hungry when I wake up but somehow eating breakfast doesn't help, I just go on being hungry if not hungrier within an hour of eating. I ended up going well over goal every day because I was still starving come lunch time no matter what but having eaten breakfast I had fewer calories to work with. Now I force myself to postpone break fast until 1:30 pm and eat a hearty meal then. I'm actually FULL after that meal and since the day is half over I basically have a hearty snack and a decent dinner and call it good. I can't even begin to tell you how much happier and less stressed I am since switching to this routine. Is it hard to muscle through my morning hungry? Yes but drinking plenty of non caloric fluid helps and the anticipation of a SATISFYING meal makes it tolerable. I can handle short term hunger with a definite end much better than ongoing all day hunger without enough caloric budget for a truly satisfying meal at any point in the day, that just made me crazy and angry and led to bingeing and being over goal routinely. No thanks. I'm much more happy and sane on a 16/8 schedule. :)
  • leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I do eat breakfast, but usually at least an hour after waking up. If I have a morning workout, I don't eat until I get home. If I don't work out, I shower, do my hair and makeup before eating. i'm not hungry right away either. I'm not sure about weight loss benefits, but I go how my body feels. I think that is generally better advice at least for me.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Why won't these topics ever die?
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    I am avocate on eating breakfast because your body hasn't had food in many hours. The smaller meals through out the day is key. Why do you think most of us our overweight because we don't. I have lots of weight to loose and tried not eating breakfast and gording myself at our meals only screwed my metabolism up and ive been on thyroid medicine as result of it. Diabetics need to eat it but I have been telling my husband that for years because he is diabetic and he doesn't eat breakfast and may eat light lunch/big lunch and then eats and eats and eats in evening because he's so hungry.

If you are trying to loose weight I find it important to eat throughout the day to keep body reved up.

Try just eating some fruit or yogurt.

Ive been wating reruns of the biggest looser and how many of them people say they don't like breakfast and it made them want to puke but after while they learned to like it to help keep their body fueled for their workouts.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

You can't argue with the brilliant reasoning of "because something to different hormones and how the 2 genders body works"
  • ichigo007
    Options
    ^^^ Absolutely - I always listen to the people who have only made it 2% of the way toward their goal so far. They totally know more than the 'people who have made it 75-100% of the way. Those jerks are just know-it-alls.

Totally only listen to the opinions of those that have just started doing this!
    If you are talking about me. If not sorry for pointing at you lol
    Yes I have only lost 25 pounds on scale but I have dropped from 33% body fat to 23.5% body fat and have increased my lean mass by 7.169 lbs. in 9 weeks. My info comes from doctors, Nurses, and Nutritionlist.

Pretty sure your numbers arent a 2% toward goal so no I wasnt speaking to you.

However, lol - your stuff about why you have to eat breakfast made me laugh so hard I snorted.
    its fine I was just repeating what over 12 different medical professionals and speciallist have told me over the last 5 years because of numerous medical problems I have had.
    Its kind of like when you strive to eat 5 to six smaller meals a day because its suppose to be healthier then after you sleep you skip breakfast. Its kind of defeating the whole purpose of eating 6 meals a day right. I f breakfast is not nessary then why eat lunch or dinner. maybe we all should just eat all of our calories in one huge meal. I mean there is tons of studies that proove that 3 meals a day minimum is required for good health and more smaller meals are healthier. So telling the OP that only 2 meals (basically what you are teling her by skipping breakfast) is ok is against all studies that have been preformed saying you should have a minimum 3 balanced meals a day
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

The only thing that can do something somewhat similar to a metabolic kick start is a serious resistance workout - not meal timing.

Yup Yoovie!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    its fine I was just repeating what over 12 different medical professionals and speciallist have told me over the last 5 years because of numerous medical problems I have had.
    Its kind of like when you strive to eat 5 to six smaller meals a day because its suppose to be healthier then after you sleep you skip breakfast. Its kind of defeating the whole purpose of eating 6 meals a day right. I f breakfast is not nessary then why eat lunch or dinner. maybe we all should just eat all of our calories in one huge meal. I mean there is tons of studies that proove that 3 meals a day minimum is required for good health and more smaller meals are healthier. So telling the OP that only 2 meals (basically what you are teling her by skipping breakfast) is ok is against all studies that have been preformed saying you should have a minimum 3 balanced meals a day

Please quote your sources if you want to post things like this.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

Don't listen to those who say breakfast is not necessary because "usually" they are the ones who are not in shape or who are in shape now but will gain it back quickly. That's why they have the yo-yo sydrome...loose weight for a few days/weeks and then gain it back quickly.

Yeah, I'm totally out of shape and have the yo-yo syndrome. Usually people that don't research and debunk myths spell "lose" wrong.

I'll keep fasting in the morning and keep LOSING body fat, you keep posting generalizations.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Classic MFP thread.

BRB kickstarting my metabolism.

H0Whs.gif

Awesome!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

You can't argue with the brilliant reasoning of "because something to different hormones and how the 2 genders body works"

I eat breakfast every day, about 4 or 5 hours after I wake up and start the coffee iv drip . . . it's almost always eggs and cheese and since they're commonly considered breakfast foods so that's breakfast right? smh.