Is breakfast necessary??

Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    The short answer is no as long as you end up consuming the same amount of calories per day.

^ This.

Seconded!
    Take note that the people who have quoted this are in pretty good shape and didnt turn into whales by not eating breakfast :p

Me however I'm the opposite. I'll pass out if I dont eat breakfast.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different. I am famished immediately when I wake up. I have friends who don't eat until 9 or 10am after they've settled in at work. They take keep yogurt or fruit or hard eggs or oatmeal everyday. Pack it like they do a lunch.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    you don't have to do anything you don't want to! i'm not really a breakfast person either, i just eat a protein bar and that's it. everyone is different, some eat big breakfasts, some big lunches, and some big dinners.. whereas others only eat several small meals throughout the day. i don't think it really matters as long as you stay within your calorie limit the rest of the day.

^^^THIS! Everyone is different. Some need breakfast, some don't. There are no differences with either method to be honest. I eat when I'm hungry and I'm not hungry at breakfast time. Personally I find if I eat breakfast it makes me eat more during the day. But that's just me. If not eating breakfast is working for you then stick with it. I see no benefits in force feeding yourself and can only think that this will create a negative relationship with food. Do what works for you.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Is breakfast neccessary? For ME, yes.
  • Art3m1s
    Art3m1s Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    :drinker: So much conflicting advice! LOL I think I could probably get into drinking a smoothie or something of that nature in the morning. I typically wake up with just enough time to make myself presentable for work... so cooking or sitting down to eat in the morning is not something I would really like to do. I think I'm going to invest in some breakfast shakes, or start making smoothies ahead of time. I wish I was the kind of person who is motivated enough to work out in the morning too, but I'm just not.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    NO....now do research. Educate yourself.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I don't know what I'd do if I didn't eat breakfast, I don't think I'd survive the day.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    No one can make you or convince you to do anything. But what I have learned is this-eating a healthy breakfast 10 minutes of waking up boosts your metabolism! It speeds it up. It gets your body going for the day. I'll admit, I was one of those people who skipped breakfast, it took me awhile to get used to it. Start out eating small things like a banana with your coffee or tea. Yogurt with some flaxseed. Gradually add foods and you'll eventually want to eat breakfast!

No
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Go to the Dr. Oz website. There are some articles about this. Or do a little research online and you will see that most trainers and fitness people think breakfast is important. If not the most important meal of the day. I'm really surprised by the answers people are giving!
  • Hot2molly138
    Options
    I think it's good to even your calories throughout the day. Eat smaller meals rather than one big meal and your body is working harder to break that meal down. No one is an expert though so do what your body is telling you! If you are hungry eat! If not, wait a little. I drink a meal replacement shake in the morning and I have been losing weight steadily since.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Go to the Dr. Oz website. There are some articles about this. Or do a little research online and you will see that most trainers and fitness people think breakfast is important. If not the most important meal of the day. I'm really surprised by the answers people are giving!

Hahaha. Nice. Dr Oz. Website for good information....
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options

THIS ^^^

And all the haters who love to quote the Broscience and rip on Intermittent Fasting, really should go to these sites and do their research before they keep throwing around myths. If eating breakfast is right for you, awesome, but that doesn't mean you will be leaner or healthier by eating breakfast right when you wake up.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    No, breakfast is not necessary. If you don't enjoy eating breakfast, then don't. The most successful people at weight loss find methods that they will be able to commit to long term.

I enjoy eating early in the morning. I don't do it because I feel it will "kick start" my brain and metabolism. It's just something I enjoy mostly because I eat with the kids before they go to school.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

Be sure to buy his raspberry ketones while you are there!
    nxkih3jpg.gif

http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html
    Interesting article chock full of info.
    This is why I skip breakfast.
    I find myself hungry about an hour or 2 after i'm done.
    My breakfasts usually hit at about the 1000calorie mark too.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    yes breakfast help kick start your metabolism and you need to feed your mucles after a long nights sleep
    There is no such thing as 'kickstarting' metabolism. Metabolism is metabolism. You can add lean muscle mass to help. Sorry this is kind of an old wives tale.

So true. Your metabolism is still functioning while you are asleep. Some people feel the need to kick start your brain with a cup of coffee, but "kickstarting" your metabolism is just silly.

Personally, I eat breakfast every morning because I'm hungry. Everyone has to "break" their "fast," but the time of day and the choice of foods is up to you.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Hahaha. Nice. Dr Oz. Website for good information....
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options

agree...but I eat 3 well balanced meals a day including breakfast. So that is up to you
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, I'm not hungry in the morning. So I started researching Leangains and I love it! It fits in a lot better with my eating profile because I like having my calories to hit in the evening, rather than wasting them away all day by eating "small" meals that still never filled me up. I eat around noon every day, I wake up at 4:30 am, btw, and train in the morning. I eat huge meals and I stay in my calorie goals (and if I don't, like I didn't yesterday on a rest day, I'm still at a deficit when I am supposed to be). On days I train, I actually get to eat over my TDEE (2300), and I have a hard time doing that sometimes.

I'm losing body fat, maintaining some lean muscle, but most importantly, my "lifestyle change" (not diet) fits in with my lifestyle and so I will be able to continue this way because it is comfortable for me.

^ These are good places to start research if you want to do it!

Dr. Oz is not (for more info on this, please see this recent forum post, LOL: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/697255-dr-oz-it-s-a-trap)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You want to eat breakfast? Eat it.
    You don't want to eat breakfast? Don't.

It's all a matter of personal preference. There is not health, weightloss, cognitive or metabolic benefit to eating breakfast. Do what you like and manage you overall calories and macronutrients for the day. But like a couple of others have said, don't take my word for it. Do your own research.

For those who say, "listen to your body" I'd say great if that works for you but for a lot of us that's how a lot of us got fat to begin with. My body and it's atavistic survival mechanisms tell me to eat whenever food is available. Which in my very blessed life (and the lives of most of us here) is all the time!! If I don't have a plan and some structure and goals, I'll eat at every opportunity. Same thing for eating lot's of small meals as opposed to a couple of decent size ones. That just keeps my focus on eating. Better for me when I think about it less not more. That's me but I don't think I the only one. YMMV!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I still eat breakfast.

Just at about 2-3pm.
    Thats breaking my fast.

Then i'll consume healthy food stuffs = about 1000 cals.