Is breakfast necessary??

Options

Replies

• jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Go to the Dr. Oz website. There are some articles about this. Or do a little research online and you will see that most trainers and fitness people think breakfast is important. If not the most important meal of the day. I'm really surprised by the answers people are giving!

Hahaha. Nice. Dr Oz. Website for good information....

First off what's wrong with dr oz? Second, go to the mayo clinic website and diabetes website! They have basically the same views on breakfast. Are those better websites for you?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Go to the Dr. Oz website. There are some articles about this. Or do a little research online and you will see that most trainers and fitness people think breakfast is important. If not the most important meal of the day. I'm really surprised by the answers people are giving!

Because the answers people are giving (the ones that say meal timing is not important) are based on actual science not that quack's website or these trainers or fitness people. The myth has generally come from people misinterpretting studies. On a calorie controlled diet, there is no advantage. What this myth is based on are studies that indicate a correlation between overeating and skipping breakfast. If you are counting calories and macros, these studies are not relevant.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

LOL, while your there, you can order some raspberry ketones and green coffee extract for targeting belly fat!! :noway: :tongue:
  • chunkylover22
    chunkylover22 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the MOST important meal of the day!!! No if, and's, or but's!!!!!!
  • ntbsa4
    ntbsa4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes it is, it gets your metabolism going. if you dont like eating a big breakfast you dont have to. find something simple like an apple or banana. Or maybe some kind of breakfast bar if you like something like that. find something you like that is simple but enough to get you going. Maybe a fruit smoothie.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options

First off what's wrong with dr oz? Second, go to the mayo clinic website and diabetes website! They have basically the same views on breakfast. Are those better websites for you?

Whats wrong with Dr OZ?! Hang around some more and you'll see he gets little respect around here for good reason.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/697255-dr-oz-it-s-a-trap

And by the way, OP did not say they are diabetic, and neither am I, so I won't be getting my advice from a diabetic website thnx.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great place to track your calories and exercise. For serious topics please consult your doctor or a professional. Be leery of replys that start off saying "for me" or "in my opinion". Someone who actually studies exercise or nutrition science will have a night and day different answer than 90% of these replys.

E
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    Before you start spitting out advice, or taking it, do a little research.

Google: Benefits of breakfast
    Cons of breakfast

also: http://www.livestrong.com/article/508924-is-an-unhealthy-breakfast-better-than-no-breakfast/

I eat breakfast even though I'm not that hungry when I wake up (after showering) and I'm not hungry again for a few hours. I also only eat between 200-300 calories for breakfast.
  • jm830
    jm830 Posts: 3
    Options
    I say listen to your body.

I started gaining weight once I ate breakfast. I listened to a lot of the advice to eat breakfast years ago to lose weight and started forcing myself to eat it. At first, it made me a little nauseous, but eventually I got used to eating it and was hungry in the mornings. It never changed my eating habits later in the day. I still liked eating large lunches and dinner, so I just gained weight over time. In fact, I never really had a weight problem (just needed to eat healthier and work out to tone up), until I added the extra calories of breakfast.

Having said all that, I still like to eat breakfast because I'm hungry for it now, and I'm working on being more balanced with each meal during the day. I don't snack because I've never been a snacker, and I don't intend on adding another unnecessary habit that isn't natural for me. I'm learning to pay more attention to what my body tells me and less to 'expert' advice.

If your hungry eat. If not, don't. If eating breakfast helps you control your hunger over the day, try it. If you just end up eating more, then don't. I think people tend to ignore their own natural hunger cues.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    MFP is a great place to track your calories and exercise. For serious topics please consult your doctor or a professional. Be leery of replys that start off saying "for me" or "in my opinion". Someone who actually studies exercise or nutrition science will have a night and day different answer than 90% of these replys.

E

^this!!
  • mmapags
    Options

The Mayo Clinic regualry publishes nutritional articles that read like they were written in 1978. I don't consider them a great source for nutritional info. If I had some rare form of cancer maybe that's where I'd want to go but, from what I've seen, thier nutritional articles rarely are based on research that was done in the last 10 years. A couple of examples include articles supporting the lipid hypothesis and limiting consumption of eggs. Both of these ideas have been thoroughly debunked. So, no credibility for the Mayo Clinic for me!
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    It's necessary for me! I used to hate eating breakfast too and now I don't mind it... If I don't eat it in the morning I'll be so hungry by lunch time that I'll probably overeat, and I don't want that. Plus if I don't eat in the morning then I'm just cranky.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I lose more weight and eat less overall if I don't eat breakfast.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is not necessary; whether you eat it is entirely a matter of personal preference.

Some people find that eating breakfast makes them less likely to overeat or make poor food choices later in the day. Others don't like it. Personally, eating breakfast makes me feel awful; I get irritable, depressed, and ravenously hungry for the rest of the day, no matter what else I eat during the day. So I don't eat until 12-1PM; since I allowed myself to do this, rather than force down meals I don't want because I'm "supposed to," I've been successful with losing weight, have far more energy and a more stable mood. A lot of people would be miserable doing what I do, and that's fine; they should do what gives them the result they want.

Do what works for you. If you don't want it, don't eat it. Simple as that.
  • mmapags
    Options

Because the answers people are giving (the ones that say meal timing is not important) are based on actual science not that quack's website or these trainers or fitness people. The myth has generally come from people misinterpretting studies. On a calorie controlled diet, there is no advantage. What this myth is based on are studies that indicate a correlation between overeating and skipping breakfast. If you are counting calories and macros, these studies are not relevant.

This ^^ But for the "most important meal of the day and jump starts your metabolism folks, you will believe what you want to believe, whether it's based in fact or not.
  • emilymnyc
    Options
    I'm a total asshat if I don't eat breakfast....my fiancee doesn't eat until lunch. Eat when you're hungry, but if you're dying to jump on the breakfast train have a protein bar, or banana...something small.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Are towels necessary?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    If I don't have a plan and some structure and goals, I'll eat at every opportunity.

^This I am snipping because I think it is something we often forget about. It is important to have a plan and set goals. My plan is to not eat until noon every day and to have my meals planned for the week that are conducive to my macros, this gives me structure so I'm not snacking willy nilly and before I know it, I have eaten all of my calories and it's only 3pm. When I don't plan, I get off track easily. If your plan is to eat 6 meals a day, structure your day so that it is possible.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You want to eat breakfast? Eat it.
    You don't want to eat breakfast? Don't.

It's all a matter of personal preference. There is not health, weightloss, cognitive or metabolic benefit to eating breakfast. Do what you like and manage you overall calories and macronutrients for the day. But like a couple of others have said, don't take my word for it. Do your own research.

Exactly!

Studies have shown that on the whole, people that are breakfast skippers tend to have less favorable BMI, and that it tends to help people not get so ravenously hungry that they overconsume (in an non-calorie restricted setting). If you're not one of those people, then you don't need to eat breakfast.

My personal preference is to not eat breakfast because a) I generally don't enjoy it b) I'm not hungry c) I'm left with fewer calories to consume later in the day, when I actually am hungry. For me, eating a breakfast is a pretty easy way to go over on my calories, so I generally don't do it..
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I love how people get all butt hurt when someone doesn't agree with them on these forums. Then instead of trying to back up what they are saying with evidence, their response is "Don't listen to people on MFP. None of them are a PhD or Nutritionist or Dietician or Witch Doctor. They obviously are wrong."

Just because most people have a different approach to weight loss doesn't mean that it is wrong. If you are staying at a caloric deficit, getting sufficient amount of calories, hitting macros and being mindful of the quality of food you are eating, then you will be successful at this. Trying to over-complicate things through meal timing and what have you just makes things more difficult.