Is breakfast necessary??

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast. Your body hasn't eaten for 10-12 hours and it needs nourishment. You'll be more aware and awake, and you'll be less likely to overeat at lunch and dinner.
    What if you ate at 1am? That would be much more closer to lunch time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine not eating breakfast.
  • pamatc2
    pamatc2 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    From WebMD:
    Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism, says Elisabetta Politi, RD, MPH, nutrition manager for the Duke Diet & Fitness Center at Duke University Medical School. "When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight."

To each their own - it's ultimately what works for you! If you don't eat breakfast but still losing weight the way you want to, then why change anything? You could always try it and see if it works, if you're not happy with your current progress.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    Are towels necessary?

ALWAYS!!!! Don't ever forget to bring your towel!!!

• myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I think as an over arching piece of advice to the public in general the notion that eating breakfast is beneficial is right.

Large scale epidemiological studies do show some benefit but this is with free living individuals where calories were not held constant.. We are not talking metabolic ward studies here.

Sadly, most people have no clue of the amount of calories they are eating, their macronutrient intake, their own eating habits and patterns leading to a ridiculous rollercoaster ride of low blood sugar and binging on exactly the wrong things which creates a vicious cycle. It's pretty sad really.

There is an absolute world of difference between that type of person and someone who consciously decides to skip breakfast as part of a planned programme which suits their personal preference.

Breakfast is a social custom rather than a biological need in the most part.

You can be flexible here and that is a great thing. Personally, I feel better eating something at breakfast but that's me as an individual.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Yes! Yes! Yes! Go to the Dr. Oz website. There are some articles about this. Or do a little research online and you will see that most trainers and fitness people think breakfast is important. If not the most important meal of the day. I'm really surprised by the answers people are giving!
    Most trainers and fitness people are also under educated when it comes to nutrition and just "echo" methods they've been taught from other trainers.
    And sorry, but Dr. Oz isn't a great person to listen to when it comes to health.
    Peer review clinical studies show that breakfast DOESN'T speed up metabolism like most trainers and fitness people state. It really comes down to personal choice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My advice? Don't listen to the advice on here. Too many opinions, too many people who think they know all the things about diet and fitness.
    That.
  • ichigo007
    Options
    Absolutly need to eat breakfast after you wake up hense the name BREAK FAST. You should eat after breakfast because your body will go into a like starvation mode and it will mess with your metabolisim for the day and your body will start loading on fat. Breakfast also boost your metabolism and kicks starts it for the day. This is especially needed for woman.
    I am not a speciallist or anything but this has been told to me by nutritionist and doctors and nurses and a lot of them.

Also think about this. your body has been fasting for 7 to 8 hours. You give it a high protein healthy meal in the morning to replish with creating a leaner healthy body that is burning more calories and has the energy to push you thru the day. when you sleep you burn your weight in Kilograms x .9 = calories/hour burn during sleep. Ithe calories are usually more than double what you would burn sitting at your desk all day specially the heavier you weight. So it is like exercising and you need to replinish your exercise calories
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Absolutely - I always listen to the people who have only made it 2% of the way toward their goal so far. They totally know more than the 'people who have made it 75-100% of the way. Those jerks are just know-it-alls.

Totally only listen to the opinions of those that have just started doing this!
  • dandaninc
    Options
    I think it's funny that I log into facebook and this is the first thing I see...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/meal-timing-is-everything.html?mcid=facenutrition

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dailyguy
    dailyguy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes....you haven't eaten for hours and your body has been fasting. If you workout, muscles are repaired and built when you are sleeping and it burns calories. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

You have to listen to experts, fit people, and those who rely on their fitness and knowledge for their way of living.

Don't listen to those who say breakfast is not necessary because "usually" they are the ones who are not in shape or who are in shape now but will gain it back quickly. That's why they have the yo-yo sydrome...loose weight for a few days/weeks and then gain it back quickly.

Meal is a fuel for your body...give it some fuel and you'll have energy all day without taking those 5-hour energy, coffee, soda, energy drinks, etc.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that I log into facebook and this is the first thing I see...

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/meal-timing-is-everything.html?mcid=facenutrition

^ This is a flawless example of how the supersite at bodybuilding.com is a bunch of bullcrap.

Fortunately the actual nutrition forums are in a good spot.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    OHHHHH Kelsey......
    Eat breakfast. Your body hasn't eaten for 10-12 hours and it needs nourishment. You'll be more aware and awake, and you'll be less likely to overeat at lunch and dinner.

So you dont have better cognitive function while fasted?
    lol

Skip breakfast and sleep in.
    Youll benefit from:

Better GH output
    Lower insulin levels (lipolysis is better in this state)
    Better insulin sensitivity (helps with p-ratio)
    Increased catecholamines (helps boost resting energy expenditure)

So by skipping breakfast you get increased fat oxidation with muscle sparing too.....

I'm game!

I'm going to requote what Dan put on the first page because it needs to be said again. He has done a ton of research on these things, plus he has the success to prove it. I'm not going to lie, the first time I read his posts about IF and Leangains and doing all of this fasting I thought, he usually has good advice, but that won't work for me, but then the more I thought about it and researched it myself, the more the timing does work better for me and now I love it!

I'm not saying you HAVE to do LG or IF, what I am saying is research and remove the myths (breakfast is the most important meal of the day!! Myth / Eat six small meals a day to boost metabolism!! Myth, etc) that bog us down with too much junk and hype, then figure out the structure that you will stick to for the long haul. If you can't miss breakfast, then don't, eat your calories in the timing that you can with your lifestyle.
  • dandaninc
    Options

^ This is a flawless example of how the supersite at bodybuilding.com is a bunch of bullcrap.

Fortunately the actual nutrition forums are in a good spot.

I only use bodybuilding.com for the Exercise chart to see what exercises target what and I use it to name the exercises my trainer has me do for my app. Other than that I don't go there at all. I like just about EVERYTHING on facebook. I think it's fun to have an active newsfeed full of useless garbage.
  • lupo316
    lupo316 Posts: 26
    Options
    I eat egg white omelettes every morning and I've found that boosts my weight loss. My overall opinion is to eat breakfast, and my understanding is that it's one of the most important meals of the day. But I don't think it's "required."
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    No one can make you or convince you to do anything. But what I have learned is this-eating a healthy breakfast 10 minutes of waking up boosts your metabolism! It speeds it up. It gets your body going for the day. I'll admit, I was one of those people who skipped breakfast, it took me awhile to get used to it. Start out eating small things like a banana with your coffee or tea. Yogurt with some flaxseed. Gradually add foods and you'll eventually want to eat breakfast!

Remember, kids: To lose weight, force feed yourself.
    Im not saying to eat a huge breakfast. I'm just trying to be helpful. Even if you just take 1 bite you're doing good.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well...it's not necessary but it's highly recommended. Think of it this way: if you wake up in the morning and you aren't hungry it's because your metabolism is still in sleep mode. Breaking the fast (hence the word "breakfast") lets your body know that its time to kick into gear and that it isn't being starved.

When you wake up and can go all day without eating, you may be losing weight (probably muscle), your metabolism is just dragging along and is not the most productive as it can be.
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I get fruit that is already sliced like mango and cantaloupe and eat a few slices with a small hand full of whole almonds. It is very filling, low on calories. I do this every morning with black coffee and powered creamer. I lost 4 pounds this week :):):)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Absolutly need to eat breakfast after you wake up hense the name BREAK FAST. You should eat after breakfast because your body will go into a like starvation mode and it will mess with your metabolisim for the day and your body will start loading on fat. Breakfast also boost your metabolism and kicks starts it for the day. This is especially needed for woman.
    I am not a speciallist or anything but this has been told to me by nutritionist and doctors and nurses and a lot of them.

So a couple of facts there Sparky. First, you can break your fast anytime. It doesn't mean you have to do it when you wake up.

Second, missing a meal does not cause adaptive thermogenesis (aka starvation mode). Not even close. In fact, when fasting, metabolism increases for about the first 24 hours. To get into starvation mode (I hate that term!!) you must eat at a reduced rate for a long period. Like 30 days or more. Or you must not eat at all for about 4 days.

If you skip breakfast, nothing happens to your metabolism and in fact, you utilize fat for energy until lunch. You positively do not start "loading on" fat.

You seriously need to get some facts straight before posting nonsense like this. You could easily google this info instead of repeating what you think you may have heard from some doctors or nurses. I believe you meant to be helpful but unfortunalty you missed the mark completely with this.
  • guppy1697
    guppy1697 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I love me some breakfast! Is it necessary? no. Intermedant Fasting has become very popular in some fitness circles (you eat everything for the day in 8 hours) and "fast" the other 16. I personally don't do but it goes to show there are many different ways to get to the same fitness goals.