10 things I have learned along the way.

Options

Replies

• redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC post - and thanks for sharing it. 200 days...what a great way to spend them. I would call yours a success story, for sure...51lbs!!!! Way to earn each and every one of 'em, redlion!!
    I am no newbie to obesity\weight loss attempts\etc. But finally - this year - I am waking up to some of the simple truths you've outlined. And IT just isn't as hard as it used to be. Weight is not just falling off of me...but I FEEL better. My body looks better\smaller. And I am at last content in knowing that I have to show up and do the work - every. single. day. And that when I do fall, I don't fall in to a bag of chips and a bucket of soda.

You rock. \m/

Thanks. When you are feeling better, you know things are working! You Rock. :wink:
  • _EmmaStrong_
    _EmmaStrong_ Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Thank you, redlion45!! This is the best post EVER!! I LOVE IT!! It makes so much sense!
  • nienie21
    nienie21 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Love this. Thank you!
  • suegil314
    suegil314 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    All so true!

After years of trying almost every gimick, I realize none of that works, or lasts.

Thanks for your post, and congrats on your success!
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Great post. #2 and 3 are so important. Finding something you like to do helps you meet 2. It doesn't have to classified as exercise - gardening, dancing, walking your dog will get you moving. It is suppose to be less than 100 tomorrow. SO I am getting up early morning and go for a walk.
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success and very motivational post!
  • DewlyNoted
    Options
    I used to not eat breakfast and snack heavily later. It was hard getting used to eating in the morning, but now I can't go without it. Anyone who doesn't have time, I have a fiber plus bar which keeps me full til lunch. Start small and you'll see a big difference. :tongue:
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    The only one I question is number 2. Eat less and do more. I think too many people take that wrong or can take that wrong. We all have a maintenance amount of calories we need to keep our bodies going. Someone said if you are in a coma, that is how many calories are fed to you through an IV. Yes, I am 100% in agreement with a 20% deficit(that's for me anyway a doc may tell someone else more of a deficit).

I think it is super important that people understand that many obese or just out of shape, overweight people are eating less, way less then they should be, Also, what we eat is important. 2000 calories worth of junk food is not as good for us as 2000 calories of nutrient rich food.

I just hate to see folks get caught up in thinking that if they eat 500 calories a day and work out at the gym for 3 hours, that is the healthy way.

Yes, eat less and workout more but understand the healthy way of doing that. Eat according to your own BMR minus a healthy deficit plus nutritious foods minus empty calories.

denise:drinker: :drinker:
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post!!!! Loved it!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Interesting read....Saving for later to check out again. Thanks for sharing!! :)
  • karenechurch
    Options
    this was great, thank you!!
  • Elibasia
    Elibasia Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • subtlewhisper
    subtlewhisper Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Well said! This is one of the best posts I have read on MFP.
    It's like we were told as kids..... do the math!
    3500 calories is equal to a pound of fat
    (according to the Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calories/WT00011/).
    If I want to lose a pound of fat I need to adjust my diet and exercise to earn that deficit.

Thank you for a fat/calorie-free dose of common sense.
    It went down deliciously with my glass of water. :drinker:

25101989.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • ilovemyboysx3
    Options
    Bump... :)
  • suenix24
    suenix24 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    love this!! thank you!! :smile:
  • brojas10
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I've definitely learned this the hard way too! There's no easy way. "There are no 'tricks.' There’s only working hard, eating right, and knowing that you can do whatever you decide to do."
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This might be the best, nicesst and most common sence thing I have read here. thanks. WELL SAID!
  • JackShow70
    Options
    You are wrong on all 10 points.

Just kidding. Great post :)
  • ShirleyFed5
    ShirleyFed5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Nice reminder!
  • Bigjayinga
    Bigjayinga Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Wow, great info. Congrats on your weight loss.. Everything you said is so true.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!