Bolt vs Phelps

Options
12346»

Replies

• HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options

It's that British/American humor crossover. Sometimes even when it's the same, it's different.

Yes, two countries separated by a common language, as they say!
  • heylookitscass
    heylookitscass Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Phelps in my book. To be able to do the butterfuly the way he does is insane. Phelps uses his whole body. Bolt- it is just running. Besides I think he (Bolt) is such an ego maniac- I can't deal with that.

Bolt is an egomaniac? I have heard nothing but good things about him, including when he stopped a TV interview because the US Anthem was playing for a gold being awarded in another event.

That is so cool. I've always liked Bolt. Mostly because he's a runner like myself. But yeah. He sprints which is the "lazy" sport according to us distance runners but you know. He's still pretty damn fast.
    Also, addressed to the person you quoted: If Bolt is an ego maniac, then I dunno what Phelps is. I mean sure, he's wicked in the pool, but some of that fame got to his head no doubt. I dunno. It's hard to imagine a record-breaker who isn't at least a tad bit egotistical.
  • heylookitscass
    Options

It's that British/American humor crossover. Sometimes even when it's the same, it's different.

Am I weird that even though I'm American, I understand British humor better than American humor? Like, it just seems more natural to me.
  • heylookitscass
    Options
    I think neither of them are as impressive as decathletes. Sure, Phelps is the best swimmer in the world. And sure, Bolt is the fastest man in the world. They can do one thing each. Swim or run. Those decathletes can do every track and field event, and do them WELL.

Also, I think Bolt would be much more likeable if he showed a little humility every once in a while. He said yesterday that he is "the greatest athlete of all time." Um, sorry bro, I disagree. Best sprinter of all time? Sure. Best overall athlete of all time? I don't think so. Get over yourself. Phelps could prob use a little humility as well, but he's not nearly as obnoxious as Bolt. And Phelps is definitely the best Olympian of all time, I mean, you don't get 18 gold medals because you're "pretty good."

Well, at least Bolt's more honest with his personality. More obnoxious, maybe, but at least he doesn't hide the fact that he's proud of himself.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Like I said earlier, I don't think you can compare a swimmer and a runner. However, i wanted to point out that most people in here seem to be making their opinion solely based on which athlete they LIKE best, without regard to their actual athleticism.
  • pietomb00
    pietomb00 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like bolt because of his attitude, makes him quite entertaining. Both are AMAZING athletes though, it really is like comparing two completely different things.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Phelps is my hero. :bigsmile: :smokin:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Am I weird that even though I'm American, I understand British humor better than American humor? Like, it just seems more natural to me.

I love British humor. We watch British television all the time on PBS and Netflix and I grew up on John Cleese -- from Monty Python to Fawlty Towers. I was just making a joke about the miscommunication.
  • bmonagle
    bmonagle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bolt only competed in 2 track events
    How many different track events are there???????
    If Bolt won the Decathalon back to back I might begin comparing him to Phelps
  • joaniej75
    joaniej75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Phelps all the way! It just brought me so much joy to see him win medals again. He had accomplished alot to be as young as he is. True he may have more opportunities to win, and in most cases he did win. I'd love to see him win more.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Err... right... Because Phelps swims and wins 1500 freestyle or 10 km marathon, Bolt needs to run a decathlon to be compared to Phelps.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    That is so cool. I've always liked Bolt. Mostly because he's a runner like myself. But yeah. He sprints which is the "lazy" sport according to us distance runners but you know. He's still pretty damn fast.
    Also, addressed to the person you quoted: If Bolt is an ego maniac, then I dunno what Phelps is. I mean sure, he's wicked in the pool, but some of that fame got to his head no doubt. I dunno. It's hard to imagine a record-breaker who isn't at least a tad bit egotistical.

Overconfidence is common among runners then. Calling the fastest sprinter lazy. Sprinting, if anything, is pushing the limits of human body in one of the hardest ways. That's why the improvements on world records are in miliseconds. Whereas long distance endurance is admirable, I really doubt any of long distance runners come close to 9.58. How close are you to 11 second mark?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    They're both impressive....and making these Olympics a very enjoyable experience. I don't think you can leave out the USA beach volleyball girls from this discussion....they've not lost a match in 3 Olympics. And volleyball at that level involves some mad skills, explosive strength, endurance and awesome butt cheeks.

its certainly impressive but i dont think anyone is going to put them in the category of best athlete/olympian ever.
    Uh, they kind of already made that list.

lol no they havent. they will never be talked bout in the discussion for greatest athlete/olympian ever...in 10 years few will remember them. botl? phelps? theyll be talked about forever.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    Michael Jordan vs. Jerry Rice?

Wayne Gretzky vs. Hank Aaron?

yeah, this is dumb

dont be dumb. people discuss these things all the time. its obvious you dont have a lot of friends who talk about sports a lot because these kind of debates come up all the time.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Of course Bolt has a bit of an ego. he's the fast human in history. nobody has ever run faster than he has. but he's not obnoxious about it. i thought the scene of him last night where he had that reporters camera and was taking pictures of Blake was awesome.
    and did you see that volunteer's face light up when Bolt gave him 'knuckles' before he got into the starting block. the guy just looked awestruck. Bolt is so captivating because he's one of those rare athletes that you just HAVE to watch because you never know what he might do and you don't want to miss it.

Phelps is unbelievable as well, but his races don't quite have the shock and awe effect that Bolt brings.

as for the 'decathlon' arguement. give me a break. Ashton Eaton is an amazing athlete and he blew away the competition this year, but just because his event is involves 10 activities doesn't mean he's a better athlete. if he was the best in the world at Javelin, long jump AND discus then maybe you could make an argument. but in reality he's not the best in the world at any of the single events he does. people have long jumped further. people have run the hurdles faster. Bolt has done something that nobody in the history of track and field has ever done.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

actually Bolt competes in three events, but thanks for coming out.
  • gin_gin
    gin_gin Posts: 184
    Options
    I vote Bolt!
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Phelps
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

actually Bolt competes in three events, but thanks for coming out.

how many different ways can you swim? free, fly, breast, back? there is only 1 way to run. so that alone gives swimmer more chances at medals.