Overweight and obese children!!!

Options

Replies

• ElviraCross
    ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    let's start a thread that talks badly about children to make ourselves feel better. woohoo!!
  • cindergirl73
    Options
    Some kids just have weight problems because of their genes. I was one of these kids. You see kids who are rails and eat like pigs. I don't think the heavier kids are eating much more....not most of them anyway.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    IF THEY DID NOT COME FROM YOUR LOINS,THEN M.Y.O.B.

Jus sayin'

Thank you! :drinker:

Seriously, you wonder why bullying is such a major issue in schools? THEY LEARN IT FROM THEIR PARENTS; judgmental parents like you. You guys are sitting around judging and preaching about these poor fat kids and don't have one clue what is going on in their lives. I think you should focus on making your children all little nicer to other kids instead of teaching them to focus on fat. Kids are super sensitive and are bullied for the littlest things. Most bullying leads to these "poor fat kids" becoming down on themselves and thus eating more to distract from the hurt. Where is the compassion? Where is the common decency to not make it a point to point out that they're fat? They know they're fat and probably already hate themselves at age 10.... maybe there's a medical condition? Maybe their life is really, really rough? Maybe it's learned? Who's to make that assumption?

This is why there is such a stigma attached to being fat. It's not because of health, it's because people are afraid of it for vanity's sake. Maybe... just maybe... by you making such a big deal about the fat kid, your kids are seeing that and carrying it into school and then 'doing what mommy did at the mall' by commenting on the poor fat kid? There's a lot worse things than being fat... being a judgmental, preachy person comes to mind.

Get off your high horses and go do some cardio.
  • jiddu17
    jiddu17 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    let's start a thread that talks badly about children to make ourselves feel better. woohoo!!

I think there are some responders to this post that have done that, but I also think, as a fitness site, we need to recognize what got us (former kids) to where we are and how we (some as parents) need to stop the cycle. I would like to think this topic has shined light on some people who haven't the strength to admit they may be harming their own children, unknowingly.
  • ElviraCross
    Options
    IF THEY DID NOT COME FROM YOUR LOINS,THEN M.Y.O.B.

Jus sayin'

Thank you! :drinker:

Seriously, you wonder why bullying is such a major issue in schools? THEY LEARN IT FROM THEIR PARENTS; judgmental parents like you. You guys are sitting around judging and preaching about these poor fat kids and don't have one clue what is going on in their lives. I think you should focus on making your children all little nicer to other kids instead of teaching them to focus on fat. Kids are super sensitive and are bullied for the littlest things. Most bullying leads to these "poor fat kids" becoming down on themselves and thus eating more to distract from the hurt. Where is the compassion? Where is the common decency to not make it a point to point out that they're fat? They know they're fat and probably already hate themselves at age 10.... maybe there's a medical condition? Maybe their life is really, really rough? Maybe it's learned? Who's to make that assumption?

This is why there is such a stigma attached to being fat. It's not because of health, it's because people are afraid of it for vanity's sake. Maybe... just maybe... by you making such a big deal about the fat kid, your kids are seeing that and carrying it into school and then 'doing what mommy did at the mall' by commenting on the poor fat kid? There's a lot worse things than being fat... being a judgmental, preachy person comes to mind.

Get off your high horses and go do some cardio.

THIS.

OP, Go ahead and do yourself a favor and stop starting threads like this. Is it really necessary? p.s. it's a no.
  • ElviraCross
    Options

I think there are some responders to this post that have done that, but I also think, as a fitness site, we need to recognize what got us (former kids) to where we are and how we (some as parents) need to stop the cycle. I would like to think this topic has shined light on some people who haven't the strength to admit they may be harming their own children, unknowingly.

A thread like this will probably never change a parent's view on their parenting skills and how/what they feed their children. Honestly I think it's rude to talk about other people's kids in the first place. Unless it's YOUR OWN CHILD and you are asking for advice, then don't start a thread about it.
  • ShannonTodd
    ShannonTodd Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of no common sense and sheer laziness on the part of "responsible adults." My ex-husband was a victim of this, and I have no intention of subjecting my children to this!
  • ElviraCross
    Options

Wow, I am *totally* jealous that you can walk around without thinking anything about your surroundings. Have fun getting robbed/raped/ripped off because of your inability to judge a situation not being right.

[/quote]

NOW THAT IS A LITTLE EXTREME THERE, DON'T YOU THINK?
    [/quote]

umm yeah...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    child protective services should get involved with obese children. let doctors and schools report them.
  • ElviraCross
    Options
    child protective services should get involved with obese children. let doctors and schools report them.

aww snap... they're definitely coming for me then

bd90e31a.jpg
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

if your kid is obese the should. obesity is doing harm just like physical abuse. in some cases its worse.

i havent read all of this thread but if your child is obese....why so?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

Better warn all my friends - what about children who are seriously underweight? They would love you at a play scheme for special kids.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. It must be great to be the world's most perfect parent. Please, oh please, tell me how you do it!!!
  • QueenB985
    QueenB985 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It's heart breaking I think.

I was at the gym yesterday and saw a girl who couldn't have been older than 12, she was overweight and at the gym on the treadmill. I mean I guess they're trying to combat it but it's sad that he even has to be there in the first place.

I agree, there was maybe two or three "fat kids" through our entire primary school years and they probably wouldn't have even been considered fat compared to today's fat kids.

Like I said, heartbreaking, the result of ignorance and abuse :(
    I know its hard to see, but not all kids have the proper training initially to "not be there in the first place". Please don't pass judgement when you see the 11-12 year old on a treadmill or piece of equipment. When my boyfriend and I got together, his 9 year old was 140 pounds! He was a single dad so it was ALOT of eating out. Since they have been with me she has lost 20 pounds and eats lots of fruits and veggies, and I regulate how much "junk" she gets. She also goes to zumba classes, swims laps, plays softball, jumps on the trampoline, ride bikes with the other kids, and uses the cardio euipment at the gym. All of these things weren't made available to her before. No, she should have never been in that place to begin with, but she is working on correcting it. And everyone has to start somewhere. I also agree with other posters, its poor parenting. On that note some parents don't understand proper nutrition because they were never taught it either and its a generational downfall. It makes me mad to see overweight kids, but all we can do is raise ours correctly, and with a healthy lifestyle.
  • ElviraCross
    Options

if your kid is obese the should. obesity is doing harm just like physical abuse. in some cases its worse.

my child isn't obese you dork. she's 10 months old. duh
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

Wow, I am *totally* jealous that you can walk around without thinking anything about your surroundings. Have fun getting robbed/raped/ripped off because of your inability to judge a situation not being right.

[/quote]

NOW THAT IS A LITTLE EXTREME THERE, DON'T YOU THINK?
    [/quote]

Let me remind you that you were the one that clicked on this thread, read all of the replies, and then told everyone how terrible they were for having a thought in their head. Seeing an obese tried strikes a severe emotion in a normal person. That emotion drives people to want to discuss it. That's all that's going on here as far as I can tell.

We're not talking about getting a coalition together and confronting parents of obese children, here. It's just a discussion. People are *so* high and mighty on the internet!
  • ElviraCross
    Options

Better warn all my friends - what about children who are seriously underweight? They would love you at a play scheme for special kids.

those parents should probably just be put in prison, it's the most logical thing to do.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

wow you are weird. i was asking if she was because you are the one who said CPS would be coming for you.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

Better warn all my friends - what about children who are seriously underweight?

of course! when we see underweight animals on tv are we glad when the SPCA steps in to help?

all of your friends have obese and underweight children? thats horrible.
  • ElviraCross
    Options

wow you are weird. i was asking if she was because you are the one who said CPS would be coming for you.

let me think on it...I'm going to go feed her some doughnuts first.