Benefits of Giving Up Diet Coke.

Options
123457»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I switched to diet Mountain Dew because it's cheaper here. There's a benefit. :)

Diet Mt. Dew - that stuff tastes so good, but it's a rare treat. I don't drink that kind of crap very often. I think the biggest benefit to not drinking Diet Coke, to me personally, is that I don't have to taste that nasty flavor. I don't like the sugar version, either. Yuck.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options

That's really your argument? I'm made of chemicals? Well in that case I might as well eat my own *kitten* and drink my own piss! Thanks man!

*Goes to start new weight loss trend that will catch on with MFP in mere minutes*

d4837514_Point_over_your_head.jpeg
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

That's really your argument? I'm made of chemicals? Well in that case I might as well eat my own *kitten* and drink my own piss! Thanks man!

*Goes to start new weight loss trend that will catch on with MFP in mere minutes*

d4837514_Point_over_your_head.jpeg

No I get the point. I'm made of chemicals so therefore I shouldn't worry about what I put in my body as long as it has zero calories or less.

Except here's the difference...I'm not made of aspartame and various dyes. I'm chemically composed of natural substances. There is a difference between a "chemical" like aspartame and a chemical composition like the human body. Trying to compare the two in the way that dr merc did is just flat out idiotic.
  • shawneez75
    shawneez75 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    While artificial sweeteners may be a zero calorie alternative to sugar, they are in no way healthier. Diet sodas may use a variety of artificial sweeteners in place of sugar, including aspartame, which acts as a neurotoxin.

Also known as NutraSweet, aspartame originally received FDA approval for use in carbonated beverages in1983, and it still remains the most commonly used sweetener in diet soda. Annually, reactions to aspartame result for a majority of the adverse reaction reports made to the food and drug administration.

Made from L-aspartyl-L-phenylalanyl-methyl-ester, aspartame is 200 times as sweet as sugar and contains negligible calories. Once in the human body, aspartame breaks down into phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol. Methanol is a wood alcohol poison that, when heated above 86 degrees Fahrenheit (the human body temperature is 98.6 degrees), converts to formaldehyde. Aspartame is also an excitotoxin that builds up in the brain, and can excite brain neurons to the point of cell death.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2012/05/01/no-diet-soda/

Here are 30 reasons gleaned from the research data that will hopefully stop you from drinking soda or diet soda. For the purpose of this reporting, the word “soda” will include both regular and diet soda.

1. People who drink one or more sodas per day have a 50- 60% higher risk of metabolic syndrome.
    2. People who drank one or more sodas per day have a 61% higher risk of ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes.
    3. Drinking soda is linked with increased incidents of diabetes and elevated triglycerides.
    4. People who drink one or more sodas per day have twice the risk of developing heart disease.
    5. Drinking one or more sodas per day is linked with a 31% higher cluster of obesity indices, such as 32% higher risk of low levels of “good” cholesterol, 30% higher increase in excessive waistline fat, poor eating habits, and 25% higher risk for high blood pressure.
    6. The additive in sugar substitutes increases a person’s desire for sugar and sweets.
    7. Soda drinkers tend to have poor eating habits, including they eat more daily calories, consume more saturated fat, eat more trans fats, eat less fiber, exercise less, and are more sedentary in lifestyle.
    8. The caramel color in soda is carcinogenic and promotes resistance to insulin which is needed for processing calories.
    9. The caramel color in soda also causes inflammation.
    10. The aspartame in diet sodas, such as NutraSweet or Equal, is associated with a significant increased risk of stroke.
    11. Aspartame is a major excitotoxin, or a neurotoxin, found to increase carbohydrate cravings that promote weight gain instead of the anticipated weight loss.
    12. Sodas are high in sodium content which has been linked with higher risks of a variety of cardiovascular problems.
    13. The high rate of sodium in soda disrupts the mineral balance by draining potassium and magnesium from the body which contributes to increased risk for cardiovascular disease.
    14. Sodas contain penicillin which contributes to penicillin resistance.
    15. The penicillin in sodas causes allergenic reactions within 10% of the population including the symptoms of hives, angioedema, or anaphylaxis.
    16. People who drink one or more sodas per day have a significantly higher rate of osteoporosis due to sodium intake, mineral deficiencies, and high acid ash in their diet.
    17. The high rate of phosphate contained in sodas causes calcium to drain out of the bones leading to orthopedic problems and higher incidents of bone fractures.
    18. Soda consumption by children poses a significant risk factor for impaired calcification of growing bones.
    19. Children who drink sodas have lower rate of minerals in their bone which leads to a much higher risk of bone fractures and higher cases of rickets.
    20. One can of soda contains between 45- 100 milligrams of caffeine which roughly equals the levels found in most coffee, and this can contribute to hyperactivity in adults and children.
    21. Adolescents who drink soda display three to four times higher risk of bone fractures as their non-soda drinking peers.
    22. Sugar and the high acid content in sodas quickly and easily dissolve tooth enamel which can’t be replaced.
    23. The high acid content, caramel color, and other additives in sodas contribute to a much higher risk of stomach and gastric ailments, including acid reflux, ulcers, and esophageal cancer.
    24. One soda a day gives children a 60% greater risk of childhood obesity.
    25. Sodas produce high levels of sodium in the bloodstream that in turn produces acute hypernatremia, or irregular and unbalanced electrical brain impulses.
    26. One liter of aspartame can produce approximately 56 milligrams of methanol, which is 32 times higher than the accepted EPA limit for humans.
    27. Artificial sweeteners, such as saccharin, have been shown to greatly increase the incidents cancers of the bladder, female reproductive organs, and brain tumors.
    28. PET bottling and packaging used in soda bottles releases small amounts of dimethyl terephathalate into the soda, and thus into the body which causes cancer.
    29. Aspartame contains methyl or wood alcohol which can negatively affect fetal brain development.
    30. Sodas interact adversely with antacids which can cause constipation, nausea, vomiting, headaches, and kidney damage.

http://www.hccua.org/health/healthandwellness.cfm?id=311
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    While artificial sweeteners may be a zero calorie alternative to sugar, they are in no way healthier. Diet sodas may use a variety of artificial sweeteners in place of sugar, including aspartame, which acts as a neurotoxin.

Also known as NutraSweet, aspartame originally received FDA approval for use in carbonated beverages in1983, and it still remains the most commonly used sweetener in diet soda. Annually, reactions to aspartame result for a majority of the adverse reaction reports made to the food and drug administration.

Made from L-aspartyl-L-phenylalanyl-methyl-ester, aspartame is 200 times as sweet as sugar and contains negligible calories. Once in the human body, aspartame breaks down into phenylalanine, aspartic acid, and methanol. Methanol is a wood alcohol poison that, when heated above 86 degrees Fahrenheit (the human body temperature is 98.6 degrees), converts to formaldehyde. Aspartame is also an excitotoxin that builds up in the brain, and can excite brain neurons to the point of cell death.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2012/05/01/no-diet-soda/

Here are 30 reasons gleaned from the research data that will hopefully stop you from drinking soda or diet soda. For the purpose of this reporting, the word “soda” will include both regular and diet soda.

1. People who drink one or more sodas per day have a 50- 60% higher risk of metabolic syndrome.
    2. People who drank one or more sodas per day have a 61% higher risk of ischemic and hemorrhagic strokes.
    3. Drinking soda is linked with increased incidents of diabetes and elevated triglycerides.
    4. People who drink one or more sodas per day have twice the risk of developing heart disease.
    5. Drinking one or more sodas per day is linked with a 31% higher cluster of obesity indices, such as 32% higher risk of low levels of “good” cholesterol, 30% higher increase in excessive waistline fat, poor eating habits, and 25% higher risk for high blood pressure.
    6. The additive in sugar substitutes increases a person’s desire for sugar and sweets.
    7. Soda drinkers tend to have poor eating habits, including they eat more daily calories, consume more saturated fat, eat more trans fats, eat less fiber, exercise less, and are more sedentary in lifestyle.
    8. The caramel color in soda is carcinogenic and promotes resistance to insulin which is needed for processing calories.
    9. The caramel color in soda also causes inflammation.
    10. The aspartame in diet sodas, such as NutraSweet or Equal, is associated with a significant increased risk of stroke.
    11. Aspartame is a major excitotoxin, or a neurotoxin, found to increase carbohydrate cravings that promote weight gain instead of the anticipated weight loss.
    12. Sodas are high in sodium content which has been linked with higher risks of a variety of cardiovascular problems.
    13. The high rate of sodium in soda disrupts the mineral balance by draining potassium and magnesium from the body which contributes to increased risk for cardiovascular disease.
    14. Sodas contain penicillin which contributes to penicillin resistance.
    15. The penicillin in sodas causes allergenic reactions within 10% of the population including the symptoms of hives, angioedema, or anaphylaxis.
    16. People who drink one or more sodas per day have a significantly higher rate of osteoporosis due to sodium intake, mineral deficiencies, and high acid ash in their diet.
    17. The high rate of phosphate contained in sodas causes calcium to drain out of the bones leading to orthopedic problems and higher incidents of bone fractures.
    18. Soda consumption by children poses a significant risk factor for impaired calcification of growing bones.
    19. Children who drink sodas have lower rate of minerals in their bone which leads to a much higher risk of bone fractures and higher cases of rickets.
    20. One can of soda contains between 45- 100 milligrams of caffeine which roughly equals the levels found in most coffee, and this can contribute to hyperactivity in adults and children.
    21. Adolescents who drink soda display three to four times higher risk of bone fractures as their non-soda drinking peers.
    22. Sugar and the high acid content in sodas quickly and easily dissolve tooth enamel which can’t be replaced.
    23. The high acid content, caramel color, and other additives in sodas contribute to a much higher risk of stomach and gastric ailments, including acid reflux, ulcers, and esophageal cancer.
    24. One soda a day gives children a 60% greater risk of childhood obesity.
    25. Sodas produce high levels of sodium in the bloodstream that in turn produces acute hypernatremia, or irregular and unbalanced electrical brain impulses.
    26. One liter of aspartame can produce approximately 56 milligrams of methanol, which is 32 times higher than the accepted EPA limit for humans.
    27. Artificial sweeteners, such as saccharin, have been shown to greatly increase the incidents cancers of the bladder, female reproductive organs, and brain tumors.
    28. PET bottling and packaging used in soda bottles releases small amounts of dimethyl terephathalate into the soda, and thus into the body which causes cancer.
    29. Aspartame contains methyl or wood alcohol which can negatively affect fetal brain development.
    30. Sodas interact adversely with antacids which can cause constipation, nausea, vomiting, headaches, and kidney damage.

http://www.hccua.org/health/healthandwellness.cfm?id=311

This ^

Blessings to you for spending your time to try to open eyes and minds. I've given up. I give my opinion, my food diary is open, but I don't share my research since it's all publicly available anyway. To each their own and some people on here don't want to challenge their beliefs, so they attack people that provide info that does just that.