Any good substitutes for ice cream cravings????

Options
Ice cream is my big downfall. Anybody find a good substitute?

Replies

• avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Fro-yo, but get low fat I love it
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    YES!
    Chop up a banana and stick it in the freezer for a couple of hours.
    Throw in a blender and TAH-DAH! Banana ice cream.
    It has the same consistency and texture too.
  • Ms_Freda
    Ms_Freda Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    TCBY frozen yogurt is awesome!
  • loozit4good
    loozit4good Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you like bananas, you are going to LOVE this one. Cut up a banana in 2" slices. Freeze in a zip-lock bag. Put in a cuisinart and blend until it balls up and is a creamy texture. You can add 1 Tbs cocoa powder if you like, or I get this stuff called PB2 (peanut butter powder) and put 1 tsp of that in too. It has the same texture as ice cream. You would not know it is NOT ice cream. Delicious. You can try a blender, but my blender does not get it the right consistency. Let me know what you think!
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Artic Zero Vanilla Maple.....heaven and only like 4 ingredients.
  • loozit4good
    loozit4good Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    haha, I just posted that one! has been a life saver for me. My blender does not mix it to the right conistency though. You might have a better blender. I use my cuisinart food processor.
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    If you like bananas, you are going to LOVE this one. Cut up a banana in 2" slices. Freeze in a zip-lock bag. Put in a cuisinart and blend until it balls up and is a creamy texture. You can add 1 Tbs cocoa powder if you like, or I get this stuff called PB2 (peanut butter powder) and put 1 tsp of that in too. It has the same texture as ice cream. You would not know it is NOT ice cream. Delicious. You can try a blender, but my blender does not get it the right consistency. Let me know what you think!

You explained it so much better than I did. :drinker:
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Just eat your favorite ice cream. Budget your calories.
  • HappyAng
    HappyAng Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Frozen cool whip

For ice cream sandwiches, frozen cool whip between 2 chocolate graham crackers
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    oooh - i like this idea! thanks for the tip!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options

This. Once you get the idea, it's easy to add different mix-ins to get the flavor you like. One change I would make to the above recipe is that I've found that adding a little almond milk (or soy or 1% or whatever you drink) makes it a little creamier, almost like soft serve.
  • mrsevanrust
    Options
    Italian Ice- 100 calories, prepackaged in serving size.
  • ittyXbittyXbritty
    Options
    there are some really good diet ice creams from weight watchers or skinny cow that taste so good you'd never know the difference! try those. most are under 200 calories. my favourites are the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches -- 150 calories and delicious.
  • kie_kie
    kie_kie Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    when i have cravings for ice cream i eat non fat yogart

I normally freeze it up so it gets to the same consistency as ice cream... i'm telling you its just as good (y)
  • arbrewst
    arbrewst Posts: 18
    Options
    Weight watchers has an ice cream bar similar to a frozen snickers except it also has vanilla ice cream stuff. They taste so delicious. You should be able to find it in the freezer section where all the other ice cream is.
  • Readynowiam
    Options
    I stopped buying containers of ice-cream months ago,when the price increased drastically,and I also found I'd crave it every night after tea if there was some in the freezer.Now I just occasionally treat myself to a McDonald's cream freeze cone,and really enjoy it without feeling guilty! Don't know that there's any good substitutes,but I switched to a piece of fresh fruit for dessert instead :-)
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    why substitute it with anything? if you stick to the 1/2 cup serving size you should easily be able to fit it into your goals :)
  • letitiaarnay
    Options
    I am a Nestle Skinny Cow girl...they make excellent ice cream sandwiches, fudge pops, ice cream cups, and now they have shakes...I get them in the freezer section at Wal-Mart and love the Mint Chocolate Ice Cream sandwiches. A friend of mine said she has to eat the box, but I find that I am satisfied with one. They are 150 cal. and 3.5 g fat per sandwich and 100 cal. and 2 g. fat per fudge pop. Check them out! I am going to have to give the banana trick a try :happy:
  • joramaker
    joramaker Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Those are yummy!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers has a 140 calorie, ice cream and peanuts thing that is pretty good and Skinny Cow is great.