Any good substitutes for ice cream cravings????

Options

Replies

• molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    frozen banana as others have mentioned.
    Right now I am eating a lovely mix of frozen banana, almond milk and peanut butter as my post work out treat.
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Nope, a cup of ice cream... if you cannot have the stuff in the house and you want it go buy one of the tiny 1 cup portions at the grocery store... eat ice cream... log it... move on.
  • hippietofugirl
    Options
    1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
    1/2 cup canned pumpkin
    cinnamon
    Splenda or stevia
    Vanilla extract

and freeze.
  • CupcakeHarpy
    CupcakeHarpy Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Frozen cool whip

For ice cream sandwiches, frozen cool whip between 2 chocolate graham crackers

this is good. also, i make my own sorbet. Freeze chopped up fruits, like strawberries or grapes, etc. Then put them in a blender/food processor with some milk or soymilk or whatever milky thing you like. I throw in just a drop or two of vanilla extract and blend away. No need for any added sugar it tastes just fine on it's own. If you are using a blender, you may need to pulse it until it is blendable, and you might need to mush it around with a spoon between pulses. I got a food processor to make my life easier but haven't tried it in that yet. Play around with ingredients and flavors. try pistachios and almond extract and make your own pistachio ice cream mmmm i'm going to have to try that haha.

With three ingredients and no added sugars it's the best cold treat that I have found so far.
  • harleygaljojo
    harleygaljojo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have some kind of treat every day, the real thing. I look for ice cream cups, bars, sandwiches, etc. that have no more than 170 cal. I always budget for this.
  • smsgreaves
    smsgreaves Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The skinny cow icecream sundaes are flippin brilliant, they're so indulgent and only have about 105-115 calories per tub. I keep a box in the freezer for moments of weakness... (Or most nights at the moment with my current stress level!!)
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Here's my shpiel on ice cream...

I started out at 290 and now weigh 172. During the first six months plus of my weight loss journey, I woke up, signed in to my food lop, programmed in my ice cream for the day, then ate around that new number knowing all day that in the evening, I got to have a kiddie sized fro yo at my local ice cream stand. I melted the pounds off and never needed to binge or snack on chocolate because I knew the sweet was coming.

Edy's Slow Churned Ice cream comes in an amazingly large array of flavors, is only 120 calories per half cup in most cases, and it kits the damn spot.

I'm big time against denying oneself anything, so make room for that anything and let yourself have it by golly. :)
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Frozen bananas. I just eat them, no blending. If you get those diet ice creams you may find yourself eating more than you would have if you just got the real stuff. Diet food tends to be less satisfying.
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I blend my frozen banana with 2 oz Chobani honey yogurt and 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter (and a dash of cinnamon). Super delicious!!
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I keep weight watchers bars in the freezer down stairs if I want ice cream

If I need to sit on my couch and eat an entire pint (hello TOM!) Arctic Zero

Because I cant keep any mint chocolate anything in the house when I want mint chocolate chip ice cream and dont want to drive all the way to the ice cream place I mix 1/2 cup of plain greek yogurt 1/2 tsp mint extract and 1 tabelspoon dark chocolate chips
  • Mrsleiva
    Options
    Just eat your favorite ice cream. Budget your calories.

This is the best thing to do. 1. you get your fix and 2. you are concious of what you are eating. You can eat without guilt!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I like to mix vanilla ice cream with unsweetened pumpkin pie filling... yum!
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Here's my shpiel on ice cream...

I started out at 290 and now weigh 172. During the first six months plus of my weight loss journey, I woke up, signed in to my food lop, programmed in my ice cream for the day, then ate around that new number knowing all day that in the evening, I got to have a kiddie sized fro yo at my local ice cream stand. I melted the pounds off and never needed to binge or snack on chocolate because I knew the sweet was coming.

Edy's Slow Churned Ice cream comes in an amazingly large array of flavors, is only 120 calories per half cup in most cases, and it kits the damn spot.

I'm big time against denying oneself anything, so make room for that anything and let yourself have it by golly. :)

yes!
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream several nights a week. The key is, I make my own, so I can make it as low or high in calories as I want. It usually runs about 150 calories for 2 cups of deliciousness. Tonight, though, I turned my protein shake into caramel & peanut butter ice cream because I had a low-protein day (poor planning on my part) -- that one worked out to 295 calories, but with 36 g of protein, which was my main goal.
    If you get an ice cream maker, you can whip up ice cream in 20 minutes. You can make a bigger batch & divvy it up into freezer-safe containers for later, or you can make it one serving at a time. I usually use almond milk as a base, but cow milk or yogurt work well, too. There are so many possibilities -- you can have ice cream that is not only not junk food, but is actually nutritious AND satisfies the ice cream craving.
  • texaricangirasol
    texaricangirasol Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    take your favorite yogurt and stick in the freezer and enjoy. But with moderation you can have ice cream once a week or may be even everyday if you are having it in moderation(one serving or 1/2 serving instead of half the container). Denying your body what it craves can sometimes back fire. Just log it in or shop around for something (low in calories or fat or sugar (whatever, your biggest concern is) to fit what you need in your life. I love frozen yogurt at Braums, but sometimes nothing hits the spot like a hot fudge sunday or Rum Raisin:)

Just choose if you want to replace it completely or if you just want to have other options or if you wanted completely gone.

Best of Luck to you!
  • hpratt9
    hpratt9 Posts: 2
    Options
    My goodness there are such a large amount of different frozen yogert and even if you have one scoop of icecream your good its all about self control, plus if you do a half hour speed walk you burn it all of anyway ...oh look in the organic section thats fab area...
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Yes, low fat greek yogurt- mix with fresh or frozen fruit (with a bit of honey if you want it sweeter ) in a blender and freeze it. Tastes cold, creamy and yummy!
  • lildazey
    lildazey Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm so looking forward to trying the frozen banana and cocao! Thanks for the idea!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Just eat your favorite ice cream. Budget your calories.

Yep. Eat what you want, just less of it. And know that as you make healthier choices in other areas of your diet, your cravings for things like ice cream will decrease.
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    frozen whip cream mixed with vanilla pudding... YUM.