Got Milk?! Recovery Benefits of Milk

Options

Replies

• liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    Excellent info. I use 16oz of the chocolate milk as my pre workout drink and sometimes as my late night kick me up. Back when I was a small, weak guy, I used to drink a quart of chocolate milk a couple times a day. I only stopped because my stomach wouldn't take it anymore.

Sara, 40oz? I would have to work alone all day. And outdoors. And I'd hope it was breezy day!

LOL: luckily I have absolutely no intolerance or sensitive to milk.

I am the same way! I could drink a gallon of milk a day and still feel as light as a butterfly :) I guess not everyone is that way.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to go back to real milk, too. I've switched to almond/coconut milks lately mostly just because I like them, but they're a lot more expensive than milk, and obviously milk has benefits.

Sara's 40oz inspired this post- I read the study and thought "Damm! That's why she's so strong!!!" :flowerforyou:
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    I am at least 150 pounds overweight, and even I know that 40oz of milk a day is why you are still fat. Are you stupid or what?:laugh:

Is this a serious post? Buddy, you need to check your tone. THIS is rude and uncalled for, and wrong!
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting...I had already gone back to drinking whole milk...great to know this information.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm curious where the funding for this study came from. Knowing the inflammatory effects, I remain skeptical about the value of milk although I do agree that whole, non-pasturized from grass fed cows is the way to go if you're gonna imbibe.

It's not a study about efficiency of milk vs X. It's a comparison between whole milk and fat free milk postworkout.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I am at least 150 pounds overweight, and even I know that 40oz of milk a day is why you are still fat. Are you stupid or what?:laugh:
    I am fat? Assuming that it is a serious,what a rude and ignorant statement and very ironic considering the source! - have you seen my profile pic? I fit it into my macros and my calorie targets and am losing weight consistently.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    o.O
  • liss125
    Options

Is this a serious post? Buddy, you need to check your tone. THIS is rude and uncalled for, and wrong!

Agreed! I suppose this WOULD be offensive if she were, in fact, fat. She's not.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm not positive but I think it was a well intentioned but lame attempt at humor.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    other non dairy types of milk are better for you, such as soy base, almond/cashew milk and the like.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Agreed! I suppose this WOULD be offensive if she were, in fact, fat. She's not.
    Right!? Post #1, attack a seasoned user right out of the gate. I think this guy has MFP initiation confused with getting jumped in to a gang.
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    i usually drink chocolate milk after a workout. i drink fat free skim chocolate milk made with real sugar. i have read many places that the most appropriate recovery "meal" has protein and carbs, but not fat. hence why i drink fat free chocolate milk. but this study seems to say that there is more benefit from drinking whole milk (or even reduced fat). this is the first time i have ever read an article advocating fat for a recovery meal. not that fat is bad - but just not what you want to eat after a workout.

thoughts?
  • liss125
    Options
    I'm not positive but I think it was a well intentioned but lame attempt at humor.

I certainly hope so :)
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later...thanks for posting!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Good to know! Thanks for posting.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    other non dairy types of milk are better for you, such as soy base, almond/cashew milk and the like.

Now I don't really want to get in to a "better for you" discussion about different types of milk- but I think in the context of recovery drinks, the nut milks have really low protein compared to dairy milk so I highly doubt they're comparable for this context. Soy milk might be a bit better- I would have to look in to it.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    ignorance-is-bliss.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSJNmBlEBe7WHD_PcjoN8pcn1rHLW11HGdp0HYSQKCkqkf2d4nO0w
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_685Z3xun6lvb-XDryI8EO98qT9-zmkVcsFTC4bgyvd_5HENUcgPeBqN_
    etc etc
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I seriously hope you are kidding, if not I have to agree very rude.... That being said I drink 2 to 3 gallons of Milk a week and have managed to lose a few pounds... Milk is an excellent source for a post workout drink alone or with a scoop of Protein Powder... OP thanks for the post....
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options

I certainly hope so :)

Read the guy's profile, the whole thing is a lame attempt at humour. Some people clearly have nothing better to do with their time.