Options

Replies

• dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    the whole choc milk is a proven fact but please make no miss conceptions ,
    if u are over weight and training your body has sufficient energy
    and storage to fix itself. there is no point drinking choc milk unless you
    are at a point where u are maintaining Ur weight. for majority of us looking to lose
    weight choc milk cancels out the work you just did. secondly don't even think of
    touching sports drinks unless u play intensive sport 4 times a week ...

this.

i read this in a few articles - that unless you are an endurance or competitive athlete or that you are already near your HWR, that its not necessary to do this. it's all so subjective though - so i dunno. i think i'm going to not do it for the most part.

I don't think what you're saying is correct. After exercise, there's a "feeding window" of about 45 minutes where your body basically expects some kind of food (remember that the evolutionary purpose of exercise was to go and find food, either hunting or gathering) and if you don't eat during this time, many people find they get more extreme hunger and/or cravings and are more likely to overeat later in the day. It's also a time when your body is geared up to use the food you eat to nourish the muscles (which are tired from the exercise, and strenuous exercise causes a low level of damage, which the body repairs and adds a little extra, this is how muscle is built). This would apply whether you have fat stores or not, your body mobilises your fat stores to give you energy while exercising. Fat will not give your muscles the protein it needs to repair and rebuild the muscle fibres after strenuous exercise. Your body cannot store protein, so you have to eat it.

Given all that, post workout nutrition is important whether you have a lot of fat to lose or not. What's critical if you're losing fat, is that you are in calorie deficit at the end of the day (i.e. you burned off more than you ate) - eating a post workout meal will not cancel out your workout calories, unless you have no portion control the rest of the time. If you plan your daily calories so you burn, say 2500 cals (including your workout) but you eat just 2100 cals (including your post workout drink/meal) then you will lose weight. In fact many body builders advise "nutrition bracketing" i.e. having your largest meals before and after training (before - give yourself enough time for the food to go down before training; after -eat the meal within 45 mins) so that more of your daily calories go towards fueling your workout and feeding your muscles. Again that would apply to people with a lot of fat to lose just as anyone else, as their muscles still work the same way as anyone else's, the difference is if you have fat to lose you need to have portion control throughout the day to ensure you're in calorie deficit at the end of the day.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    I'm always going to stick with my 2% milk regardless of what studies say; if this one is true, then that's great for me since milk is my liquid of choice for protein shakes.
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    On that note, I'm gonna go to the gym and lift some heavy *kitten*, and follow it with a tasty milk beverage.

Amen, sister!

I was told emphatically by a trainer at my new gym that I MUST switch my morning latte to skim milk (from whole). I didn't tell her about my post-workout protein shake made with whole milk, but I feel sure she would have been as emphatic about that.

I like the way whole milk tastes (when mixed with other things - I am not a raving fan of milk in any form on its own, but I never drink it that way), and it's in the fridge anyway because I buy it for my toddlers. I fit it into my calories and macros. This article aside, I don't see any reason to switch to skim. And if I believe the article, there's another good reason to keep it up.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    are at a point where u are maintaining Ur weight. for majority of us looking to lose
    weight choc milk cancels out the work you just did. secondly don't even think of

this.

i read this in a few articles - that unless you are an endurance or competitive athlete or that you are already near your HWR, that its not necessary to do this. it's all so subjective though - so i dunno. i think i'm going to not do it for the most part.

I don't think what you're saying is correct. After exercise, here's a "feeding window" of about 45 minutes where your body basically expects some kind of food (remember that the evolutionary purpose of exercise was to go and find food, either hunting or gathering) and if you don't eat during this time, many people find they get more extreme hunger and/or cravings and are more likely to overeat later in the day. It's also a time when your body is geared up to use the food you eat to nourish the muscles (which are tired from the exercise, and strenuous exercise causes a low level of damage, which the body repairs and adds a little extra, this is how muscle is built). This would apply whether you have fat stores or not, your body mobilises your fat stores to give you energy while exercising. Fat will not give your muscles the protein it needs to repair and rebuild the muscle fibres after strenuous exercise. Your body cannot store protein, so you have to eat it.

Given all that, post workout nutrition is important whether you have a lot of fat to lose or not. What's critical if you're losing fat, is that you are in calorie deficit at the end of the day (i.e. you burned off more than you ate) - eating a post workout meal will not cancel out your workout calories, unless you have no portion control the rest of the time. If you plan your daily calories so you burn, say 2500 cals (including your workout) but you eat just 2100 cals (including your post workout drink/meal) then you will lose weight. In fact many body builders advise "nutrition bracketing" i.e. having your largest meals before and after training (before - give yourself enough time for the food to go down before training; after -eat the meal within 45 mins) so that more of your daily calories go towards fueling your workout and feeding your muscles. Again that would apply to people with a lot of fat to lose just as anyone else, as their muscles still work the same way as anyone else's, the difference is if you have fat to lose you need to have portion control throughout the day to ensure you're in calorie deficit at the end of the day.

For some people, the cravings point may be true (I know its not for me though) but the 45 minute feeding window for protein absorbtion is just not true.
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    “When you consume dairy products, you are ingesting the same antibiotics, pesticides, steroids and hormones you would if you ate meat directly.”- The Skinny *****
    The biggest factors in breast cancer include fat, excess estrogen and animal protein. Milk delivers all three. Cows injected with bovine growth hormone have higher levels of IGF-1, which is connected to tumor growth. (Yep – Cancer)
    Cows are milked by machine, metal clamps are attached to the cows’ sensitive udders. The udders become sore and infected. But the machines keep on milking, sucking the dead white blood cells into the milk” – Skinny *****
    Records from the Food and Drug Administration show that “virtually 100% of the cheese products produced and sold in the U.S. has detectable pesticide residues.” – Skinny *****

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/milk/

Yep. Sure makes me wanna go get some milk. Ugh.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    “When you consume dairy products, you are ingesting the same antibiotics, pesticides, steroids and hormones you would if you ate meat directly.”- The Skinny *****
    The biggest factors in breast cancer include fat, excess estrogen and animal protein. Milk delivers all three. Cows injected with bovine growth hormone have higher levels of IGF-1, which is connected to tumor growth. (Yep – Cancer)
    Cows are milked by machine, metal clamps are attached to the cows’ sensitive udders. The udders become sore and infected. But the machines keep on milking, sucking the dead white blood cells into the milk” – Skinny *****
    Records from the Food and Drug Administration show that “virtually 100% of the cheese products produced and sold in the U.S. has detectable pesticide residues.” – Skinny *****

Thanks for the vegan propaganda on a milk thread. I'm sure you've converted someone...NOT.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options

Thanks for the vegan propaganda on a milk thread. I'm sure you've converted someone...NOT.

He he! NOT indeed!

I have nice healthy stomach acid to take care of any unwanteds that manage to eek through the pasteurization process.

Thanks for the milk info. I don't do protein shakes, so I'll have some milk after working out. I'm going to *kitten*-u-me that the benefit of 2% would be somewhere in between the WM and the FFM.

Now I think I'll go have a ribeye and a glass of milk.......
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

So...what your saying is my immune system is better then yours :D
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options

So...what your saying is my immune system is better then yours :D

Quite the opposite :D
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

On that note, I'm gonna go to the gym and lift some heavy *kitten*, and follow it with a tasty milk beverage.

And how was your milk beverage? Tasty?
  • NightHawkH
    NightHawkH Posts: 8 Member
    Options

i Agree that Choc milk is a great recovery drink.
    [/quote]

Wow I've been lambasted on my post about it cancels out the work you have done... "said if its in your plan then you'll still lose weight."

A few things i take fro granted when posting and that is the obvious things ... if i plan a MCDonald's into my Calorie intake and burn more than i consume i will also lose weight... these are basics guys.

The whole point i was getting at is why smash a choc milk in your face if you are over weight if you want recovery with lower calories more protein have a pure protein shake with water.

For me trying to lose weight its silly to plan this into my diet, for recovery or not, I'm also over weight and train hard 5 times a week 8km run twice a week, 1 hour squash and weight traing I'm still not at a point in my training that justifies a "recovery drink" this "Choc milk" recovery drink is for intense and very intense athletes looking to drive nutrients into their muscles for growth and recovery.

none the less my comments are personal opinion and are surly going to be torn apart by all the olympic athletes posting on here
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm thinking they're talking about cow's milk, which gives me horrible stomach, er, issues. I'm not sure if soy does the same, but I'll stick with it anyway.
  • This_Daddy_Rocks
    Options
    Bump
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Actually Pete, that's not what I was thinking at all. Ignorant, maybe, but not fat. MFP is a weight loss site. Most of us are here for some overweight issue or another. We are not here to call other people fat. Or stupid. Or even ignorant. Its not helpful to any of us. It's ok to disagree, and I actually love and appreciate a bit of snark and sarcasm, but flat out name calling is....unimaginative, at the very least. Surely we can put each other down in more clever ways.

Welcome to MFP Pete. I hope you find the help and support you need here. I know that i did. But if you want to call people fat and stupid, there are 5,000,000 other places on the Internet for that. I suggest the comment section of espn and fox news to get started. Best of luck.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I am at least 150 pounds overweight, and even I know that 40oz of milk a day is why you are still fat. Are you stupid or what?:laugh:

Bless your heart...maybe you don't know any better.
    Show some respect. Sara is highly respected here.
    She has great knowledge and should not be talked to this way.

You make yourself look ignorant!

No one should respect a woman who drinks that many calories in milk. She should be providing milk to all the starving children. I condem you brother, your heart and soul is black for enabling a dangerous lifestyle. I know the scorn and scars of being morbidly obese. My boundless girth proves I am an expert in obesity.

Go ahead everyone that replied to my original comment, call me FAT! I know thats what your all thinkig.
    I think you just called me no one...And what does her being a women have anything to do with it :huh: ...and what does her dairy intake have to do with your fat? She's gotten thin this way.... :noway:

...You obviously don't know what I'm thinking at all. But since you brought it up what I'm thinking is wow I've sure had a lot of milk since that mean *kitten* made that fat milk comment to my skinny friend and he sure is missing a few brain cells. I'm going to have another glass of milk because I'm a women and calcium is great for me :drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I am at least 150 pounds overweight, and even I know that 40oz of milk a day is why you are still fat. Are you stupid or what?:laugh:

No one should respect a woman who drinks that many calories in milk. She should be providing milk to all the starving children. I condem you brother, your heart and soul is black for enabling a dangerous lifestyle. I know the scorn and scars of being morbidly obese. My boundless girth proves I am an expert in obesity.

Go ahead everyone that replied to my original comment, call me FAT! I know thats what your all thinkig.

Oh my goodness, you are serious aren't you?

So, I was fat and stupid and now I am immoral? Wowsa!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Actually Pete, that's not what I was thinking at all. Ignorant, maybe, but not fat. MFP is a weight loss site. Most of us are here for some overweight issue or another. We are not here to call other people fat. Or stupid. Or even ignorant. Its not helpful to any of us. It's ok to disagree, and I actually love and appreciate a bit of snark and sarcasm, but flat out name calling is....unimaginative, at the very least. Surely we can put each other down in more clever ways.

Welcome to MFP Pete. I hope you find the help and support you need here. I know that i did. But if you want to call people fat and stupid, there are 5,000,000 other places on the Internet for that. I suggest the comment section of espn and fox news to get started. Best of luck.

I'm standing right here with my Brother Dave! Couldn't agree more. I think you are attempting humor but if so, you are missing the mark. If not, you are way out of line.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Perhaps you went to an unaccredited troll university.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options

I have never heard such eloquence partnered with ignorance. Bravo.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options

Honestly, that is not what I'm thinking. I'm wondering why you're spending your energy and casting judgement on someone who has found a way of being 'fitter' and feeding her favoured sport - which is why she drinks the milk, for protein as a vegetarian.

Why does that matter to you? If she ate half meat instead would that be better or more acceptable? Or is it just that you really hate milk drinkers?

Whatever your reason, you are coming across very ignorant and unapproachable. I know from having been 227lb and at 181lb now I'm still 'fat', that I have found, used and discarded many many many diets along the way, they all have ways of showing you how to limit carbs or calories, but the facts are, they work for the individual who follows it. There are soooo many because we all like to have a choice, and are individuals. We SHOULD respect each other, for firstly trying to lose weight, for getting fitter, and for finding a style of eating that suits us.

Not slag each other off in anyway.

So.. as my mum would have said, if you can't say anything nice. Don't say anything at all.. so I'm off now!