Got Milk?! Recovery Benefits of Milk

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Excellent info. I use 16oz of the chocolate milk as my pre workout drink and sometimes as my late night kick me up. Back when I was a small, weak guy, I used to drink a quart of chocolate milk a couple times a day. I only stopped because my stomach wouldn't take it anymore.

Sara, 40oz? I would have to work alone all day. And outdoors. And I'd hope it was breezy day!

LOL: luckily I have absolutely no intolerance or sensitive to milk.

For anyone that does, you can always do goat milk or sheep milk. The fat globules are smaller and it digest more easily with far less inflammation issues and still great nutrition. In many parts of the world that is their milk source and not cows.

It's the lactose, not the fat the blows me up. Is there a lower level of milk sugar in milk from other animals?

On second thought, don't tell me. The appeal of regular milk to me is that it's cheap, readily available, and extremely effective. The second I have to go to a special store or pay $$$ for goats milk I'd take it off my list. But you've seen my diary; I eat garbage all day. I'm allergic to health food stores.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I had an orthodontist reject my son for potential treatment because I "admitted" that we drink milk in our home. He had some crazy cult-level of belief that milk is deadly poison. He had written a book on it that he wanted us to purchase. :huh:

I left his office shaking my head, and we found another doc to do my kid's braces.
    WOW. Good thing you found that out before letting that nutcase work on your kid, right?!

Maybe he has long term pocket lining goals in mind for when inadequate calcium affects the teeth!

Agree on the nutcase part, but not on the calcium angle. I don't think it's necessary to drink milk for adequate dietary calcium.
    I actually agree with you- you can get calcium without milk. It was more a tongue in cheek joke than a comment on calcium sourcing.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/us/07fat.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

November 6, 2010
    While Warning About Fat, U.S. Pushes Cheese Sales
    By MICHAEL MOSS
    Dairy Management, whose annual budget approaches $140 million, is largely financed by a government-mandated fee on the dairy industry. But it also receives several million dollars a year from the Agriculture Department, which appoints some of its board members, approves its marketing campaigns and major contracts and periodically reports to Congress on its work.

The organization’s activities, revealed through interviews and records, provide a stark example of inherent conflicts in the Agriculture Department’s historical roles as both marketer of agriculture products and America’s nutrition police.

In one instance, Dairy Management spent millions of dollars on research to support a national advertising campaign promoting the notion that people could lose weight by consuming more dairy products, records and interviews show. The campaign went on for four years, ending in 2007, even though other researchers — one paid by Dairy Management itself — found no such weight-loss benefits.

When the campaign was challenged as false, government lawyers defended it, saying the Agriculture Department “reviewed, approved and continually oversaw” the effort.

Dr. Walter C. Willett, chairman of the nutrition department at the Harvard School of Public Health and a former member of the federal government’s nutrition advisory committee, said: “The U.S.D.A. should not be involved in these programs that are promoting foods that we are consuming too much of already. A small amount of good-flavored cheese can be compatible with a healthy diet, but consumption in the U.S. is enormous and way beyond what is optimally healthy.”

The Agriculture Department declined to make top officials available for interviews for this article, and Dairy Management would not comment. In answering written questions, the department said that dairy promotion was intended to bolster farmers and rural economies, and that its oversight left Dairy Management’s board with “significant independence” in deciding how best to support those interests.

see the link at the top for the rest of the article

Keep in mind that a lot of these milk and dairy studies are NOT supported under scientific scrutiny. The dairy industry is a major political machine. Ads that say milk does a body good and got milk are PAID for by the industry that would be supported by purchase of dairy products. The whole concept that milk supports weight loss has been debunked by repeat studies and not supported once. If you are drinking the milk and not losing, and have aches and pains and allergies and mucous issues, ....try stopping and see how it makes you feel. If you feel better without dairy, then reconsider these 'studies' that tell you to drink it.

Totally unnecessary post. Not really appropriate for the subject.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I had an orthodontist reject my son for potential treatment because I "admitted" that we drink milk in our home. He had some crazy cult-level of belief that milk is deadly poison. He had written a book on it that he wanted us to purchase. :huh:

I left his office shaking my head, and we found another doc to do my kid's braces.
    WOW. Good thing you found that out before letting that nutcase work on your kid, right?!

Maybe he has long term pocket lining goals in mind for when inadequate calcium affects the teeth!

Agree on the nutcase part, but not on the calcium angle. I don't think it's necessary to drink milk for adequate dietary calcium.
    I actually agree with you- you can get calcium without milk. It was more a tongue in cheek joke than a comment on calcium sourcing.

Yeah, I know...

...but in true typical MFP-knee-jerk-reaction form, I thought I'd have a go at picking a finer point out of someone else's post to contest.

And I have to admit, it was *kind of* fun...but not nearly as much fun as others tend to make it seem.

Meh, it was worth a try.

:smile:
  • MoreBean13
    Options

Yeah, I know...

...but in true typical MFP-knee-jerk-reaction form, I thought I'd have a go at picking a finer point out of someone else's post to contest.

And I have to admit, it was *kind of* fun...but not nearly as much fun as others tend to make it seem.

Meh, it was worth a try.

How about if I aggressively defend my comment? Might be more fun.
    Blah blah blah....study study study.....milk and teeth....healthy bones and calcium. It's a FACT. Its been PROVEN!
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options

Yeah, I know...

Meh, it was worth a try.

How about if I aggressively defend my comment? Might be more fun.
    Blah blah blah....study study study.....milk and teeth....healthy bones and calcium. It's a FACT. Its been PROVEN!
    :bigsmile: LIES LIES I TELL YOU!!! all of your studies have been disproven, by this gie that saw an ape on the discovery channel one day,......lol:tongue:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    And there I thought 'milk' was a bad word in a diet forum. I'd never publicly admit to the amounts I drink :tongue:
  • alisonlk
    alisonlk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The trainers and instructors at the gym I frequent also recommend chocolate milk as a recovery drink after an intense workout (keyword: intense).
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My son's swim coach has them drink chocolate milk after practice for this reason!
    I recently tried it after running & my stomach started hurting really bad immediately!! I'm
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/us/07fat.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

Keep in mind that a lot of these milk and dairy studies are NOT supported under scientific scrutiny. The dairy industry is a major political machine. Ads that say milk does a body good and got milk are PAID for by the industry that would be supported by purchase of dairy products. The whole concept that milk supports weight loss has been debunked by repeat studies and not supported once. If you are drinking the milk and not losing, and have aches and pains and allergies and mucous issues, ....try stopping and see how it makes you feel. If you feel better without dairy, then reconsider these 'studies' that tell you to drink it.

IT'S ALL A CONSPIRACY. TRUST NO ONE.

... wait, what does the monetary drive of the dairy industry have to do with whether milk will help me recover better after a heavy lifting session? :huh:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I apologize for my previous comments in regards to drinking excessive amounts of milk. I do, however, disagree with your approach to losing weight. Scientisis have proven that high levels of milk fat cause weight gain in 80% of the females tested. I just want everyone to be aware of this statistic and I mean no disrespect. Please accept my sincere apology.

PS- I am fatter than anyone else here, so I know the most.
    What scientists? And how much were they eating? And what else were they eating? And how much do they move? You're looking at a closed case you eat to much and you happen to eat lots of dairy ignoring the rest of the story. Anything can make you fat if you manage to down enough of it. If we all went by this we'd be afraid of most foods and be on the twinky diet ;)

Reverse engineering doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get to the right answer. You could do the same test and prove lots of skinny people drink plenty of dairy.

omg overweight people eat and drink...that must mean eating and drinking makes you overweight, we should all stop right now...

You're being fairly blind about this my dear.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I apologize for my previous comments in regards to drinking excessive amounts of milk. I do, however, disagree with your approach to losing weight. Scientisis have proven that high levels of milk fat cause weight gain in 80% of the females tested. I just want everyone to be aware of this statistic and I mean no disrespect. Please accept my sincere apology.

Your logic is completely flawed. If you are tracking calories and macros, then these comments are irrelevant. Also, please cite your source to these studies that indicate that I am a wizard in that I am losing weight but drinking a lot of milk!

Oh, regarding your PS, that is what you call a logical fallacy.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

N=1, I will disprove said scientists' proof! More milk please!
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I love milk, but mostly drink chocolate when I can.
  • DavPul
    Options
    other non dairy types of milk are better for you, such as soy base, almond/cashew milk and the like.

Now I don't really want to get in to a "better for you" discussion about different types of milk- but I think in the context of recovery drinks, the nut milks have really low protein compared to dairy milk so I highly doubt they're comparable for this context. Soy milk might be a bit better- I would have to look in to it.

The protein in real milk is a much closer match to human needs than the protein from soy or other sources. Plus, one is readily available and can be found and consumed easily during the Zombie Apocolypse. I have no idea how I'd get milk from a soybean during ZA. One has been around since the beginning of time and the other was invented in a process last century.
  • rebelq
    rebelq Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wow, how interesting- thanks for sharing that article!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

No kidding, I hate milk and drink way more then I use to and lost a ton of weight doing it :P Switched from occasional non-black coffee to several different kinds of glasses of milk, whey powder, greek yogurt, etc. None of those were in my diet before.

I drink milk like 'fat' people, breath like 'fat' people and eat, and 'fat' people do too! Abracadabra *poof* 30 pounds gone. I should be a science project.
  • DavPul
    Options

Studies have shown that high levels of CALORIES have caused weight gain in tested subjects. Doesn't matter if those calories come from milk, HFCS, soy, or organic cruelty free, gluten fee chicken feet.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

No kidding, I hate milk and drink way more then I use to and lost a ton of weight doing it :P Switched from occasional non-black coffee to several different kinds of glasses of milk, whey powder, greek yogurt, etc. None of those were in my diet before.

I drink milk like 'fat' people, breath like 'fat' people and eat, and 'fat' people do too! Abracadabra *poof* 30 pounds gone. I should be a science project.

Seriously, when I gained weight I was drinking a lot of milk. It goes awesome with a whole sleeve of oreos.