Options

Replies

• runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    the whole choc milk is a proven fact but please make no miss conceptions ,
    if u are over weight and training your body has sufficient energy
    and storage to fix itself. there is no point drinking choc milk unless you
    are at a point where u are maintaining Ur weight. for majority of us looking to lose
    weight choc milk cancels out the work you just did. secondly don't even think of
    touching sports drinks unless u play intensive sport 4 times a week ...

this.

i read this in a few articles - that unless you are an endurance or competitive athlete or that you are already near your HWR, that its not necessary to do this. it's all so subjective though - so i dunno. i think i'm going to not do it for the most part.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Excellent info. I use 16oz of the chocolate milk as my pre workout drink and sometimes as my late night kick me up. Back when I was a small, weak guy, I used to drink a quart of chocolate milk a couple times a day. I only stopped because my stomach wouldn't take it anymore.

Sara, 40oz? I would have to work alone all day. And outdoors. And I'd hope it was breezy day!

LOL: luckily I have absolutely no intolerance or sensitive to milk.

For anyone that does, you can always do goat milk or sheep milk. The fat globules are smaller and it digest more easily with far less inflammation issues and still great nutrition. In many parts of the world that is their milk source and not cows.

It's the lactose, not the fat the blows me up. Is there a lower level of milk sugar in milk from other animals?

On second thought, don't tell me. The appeal of regular milk to me is that it's cheap, readily available, and extremely effective. The second I have to go to a special store or pay $$$ for goats milk I'd take it off my list. But you've seen my diary; I eat garbage all day. I'm allergic to health food stores.

The lactose protein is a little different in sheep and goats milk than cows milk so many people do better with it than cows milk. Some do not. It is more expensive but many chain groceries are carrying it these days. Especially where you live with all the high maintenance lala land type in "the industry". LOL Have you ever tried a lactase supplement? That is the enzyme that some have less of that causes the inability to break down lactose and the associated inflammation issues.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    are at a point where u are maintaining Ur weight. for majority of us looking to lose
    weight choc milk cancels out the work you just did. secondly don't even think of

I had difficulty understanding most of this but there is a very big point to drinking chocolate milk - it's delicious.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    The lactose protein is a little different in sheep and goats milk than cows milk so many people do better with it than cows milk. Some do not. It is more expensive but many chain groceries are carrying it these days. Especially where you live with all the high maintenance lala land type in "the industry". LOL Have you ever tried a lactase supplement? That is the enzyme that some have less of that causes the inability to break down lactose and the associated inflammation issues.

Several years ago I had dairy goats and was using goats milk for all kinds of stuff. I made fudge and lots of different kinds of cheese and it made great white russians. The difference in flavor between store bought goat milk and milk straight from the goat makes me wonder what the hell is in those cartons. Fresh goat milk is really good - at least from my goats it was. I got to a point where I didn't have time to milk them every day so my dreams of being a goat cheese producer ended prematurely. I still lament the passing of those days.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    forgot to quote...
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I'm curious where the funding for this study came from. Knowing the inflammatory effects, I remain skeptical about the value of milk although I do agree that whole, non-pasturized from grass fed cows is the way to go if you're gonna imbibe.

Funding probably came from dairy farmers. lol. Organic would be a better choice if a person has to drink cow milk. Although most doctors now recommend staying away from it completely.

Go ahead and slam me people, I won't even see it.

No slam from me! I quit the stuff two years ago and never felt better. We don't need it.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

this.

i read this in a few articles - that unless you are an endurance or competitive athlete or that you are already near your HWR, that its not necessary to do this. it's all so subjective though - so i dunno. i think i'm going to not do it for the most part.

Well there are 2 things there that I don't agree with. One is that it does not factor in the growth hormone in milk that may be the "secret ingredient" that helps recovery. You are not getting that from fat stores. Secondly, if it fits in your macros and your calorie goals, intake of cholcolate milk or any other kind of milk does not cancel out anything. That's just plain BS.

But to go back to the what MoreBean had said earlier, the study is not about the weight loss benefits. It's about the recovery benefit after workout.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm curious where the funding for this study came from. Knowing the inflammatory effects, I remain skeptical about the value of milk although I do agree that whole, non-pasturized from grass fed cows is the way to go if you're gonna imbibe.

Funding probably came from dairy farmers. lol. Organic would be a better choice if a person has to drink cow milk. Although most doctors now recommend staying away from it completely.

100% agree with you.

I don't drink milk. At all. I don't like the taste, and too much dairy upsets my stomach. The whole "chocolate milk is the perfect protein:carb" ratio makes no sense to me seeing as your typical chocolate milk is loaded with sugar, making it pretty high in carbs...but what works for one person may not work for another so if you're seeing success with milk consumption, go for it. I just don't need it, personally.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

100% agree with you.

I don't drink milk. At all. I don't like the taste, and too much dairy upsets my stomach. The whole "chocolate milk is the perfect protein:carb" ratio makes no sense to me seeing as your typical chocolate milk is loaded with sugar, making it pretty high in carbs...but what works for one person may not work for another so if you're seeing success with milk consumption, go for it. I just don't need it, personally.

Then you don't understand the perfect carb/fat/protein balance for recovery. Chocolate milk is the perfect balance, whether you agree with it or not. No one is telling you that you have to drink chocolate milk. You can get that same balance in a number of other recovery type drinks. Chocolate milk is just cheap and easy for many.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Several years ago I had dairy goats and was using goats milk for all kinds of stuff. I made fudge and lots of different kinds of cheese and it made great white russians. The difference in flavor between store bought goat milk and milk straight from the goat makes me wonder what the hell is in those cartons. Fresh goat milk is really good - at least from my goats it was. I got to a point where I didn't have time to milk them every day so my dreams of being a goat cheese producer ended prematurely. I still lament the passing of those days.

For chocolate, I like hemp milk the best. Chocolate cow's milk always gives me a filmy taste in my mouth. Chocolate hemp milk is more like YooHoo. :heart: :drinker:

Also, I have a deep-seeded fear that all the goats in my area have died and went to goat heaven. I used to buy goat's milk all the time, but I haven't seen it in over a year. None of the stores I go to have any clue where to get it any more. :sad:
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options

prolly due to what your where feeding your goats, that and the fresher the milk the better the tast
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options

100% agree with you.

Then you don't understand the perfect carb/fat/protein balance for recovery. Chocolate milk is the perfect balance, whether you agree with it or not. No one is telling you that you have to drink chocolate milk. You can get that same balance in a number of other recovery type drinks. Chocolate milk is just cheap and easy for many.

Actually, I've had a nutritionist tell me that the dairy industry pushed that idea to get people to drink more milk, and that the sugar alone makes it NOT an ideal choice for a recovery drink. So, yeah, I do understand what's needed for recovery, and I don't agree that chocolate milk is it. But to each their own.
  • beckajw
    Options

100% agree with you.

Actually, I've had a nutritionist tell me that the dairy industry pushed that idea to get people to drink more milk, and that the sugar alone makes it NOT an ideal choice for a recovery drink. So, yeah, I do understand what's needed for recovery, and I don't agree that chocolate milk is it. But to each their own.

Ah yes, the vague "nutritionist" argument...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

this.

I definitely never said it was *necessary* to drink milk.

I feel as though I should clarify my standpoint on milk for weight loss. I do not believe that any food (with the possible exception of trans fats) is either inherently good or inherently bad for weight loss. Weight loss is about calorie deficit, and nutrition comes from the sum of your WHOLE diet- everything combined. It's like a jigsaw puzzle, with each thing you consume fitting together to form the whole picture. There are certainly more- and less- nutritionally dense foods- but no one choice shapes the whole picture. If you like milk and want to use it as a recovery drink, it can fit neatly in the puzzle. If you have ethical or medical reasons not to choose milk- nobody is telling you that you need to. If adding milk puts you over your caloric allowance it will make you fat. If it fits within your calories, it will not.

On that note, I'm gonna go to the gym and lift some heavy *kitten*, and follow it with a tasty milk beverage.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options

100% agree with you.

Not sure why it's "vague" to you, but I was all on board with the chocolate milk thing, and since I do regularly see a nutritionist (I have gluten issues and PCOS with mild insulin resistance) I asked her about it, and she specifically told me that there is too much sugar in it for it to be effective for me, and that I'm better off sticking to non-dairy low sugar/low carbohydrate protein drinks. Other people who are totally cool with having more sugar, go for it. But for ME personally, the amount of sugar and carbohydrates in chocolate milk specifically (regular milk, I have no real opinion about other than I don't like it) make it NOT ideal for me to consume for any reason. Again---that's just for me. My dietary needs may be totally different from yours. I even have to limit the amount of fresh, raw fruit I eat because of carbohydrates and my body's response to sugars. So, you know, what is "perfect" for a large group of people, may not work for everyone. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to dietary needs. Also, I don't really buy the whole "perfect ratio" thing seeing as I'm pretty sure the dairy farmer association or whatever funded a lot of the research for that, but if somebody else feels fantastic after drinking chocolate milk post-workout, then that's great.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

100% agree with you.

Not sure why it's "vague" to you, but I was all on board with the chocolate milk thing, and since I do regularly see a nutritionist (I have gluten issues and PCOS with mild insulin resistance) I asked her about it, and she specifically told me that there is too much sugar in it for it to be effective for me, and that I'm better off sticking to non-dairy low sugar/low carbohydrate protein drinks. Other people who are totally cool with having more sugar, go for it. But for ME personally, the amount of sugar and carbohydrates in chocolate milk specifically (regular milk, I have no real opinion about other than I don't like it) make it NOT ideal for me to consume for any reason. Again---that's just for me. My dietary needs may be totally different from yours. I even have to limit the amount of fresh, raw fruit I eat because of carbohydrates and my body's response to sugars. So, you know, what is "perfect" for a large group of people, may not work for everyone. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to dietary needs. Also, I don't really buy the whole "perfect ratio" thing seeing as I'm pretty sure the dairy farmer association or whatever funded a lot of the research for that, but if somebody else feels fantastic after drinking chocolate milk post-workout, then that's great.

I feel it may have been important to state your medical condition upfront before quoting. I understand why your nutritionist would say that in your case. However, for people who don't have these conditions, it can be a perfectly acceptable recovery drink.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

this.

I definitely never said it was *necessary* to drink milk.

I feel as though I should clarify my standpoint on milk for weight loss. I do not believe that any food (with the possible exception of trans fats) is either inherently good or inherently bad for weight loss. Weight loss is about calorie deficit, and nutrition comes from the sum of your WHOLE diet- everything combined. It's like a jigsaw puzzle, with each thing you consume fitting together to form the whole picture. There are certainly more- and less- nutritionally dense foods- but no one choice shapes the whole picture. If you like milk and want to use it as a recovery drink, it can fit neatly in the puzzle. If you have ethical or medical reasons not to choose milk- nobody is telling you that you need to. If adding milk puts you over your caloric allowance it will make you fat. If it fits within your calories, it will not.

On that note, I'm gonna go to the gym and lift some heavy *kitten*, and follow it with a tasty milk beverage.

:drinker:
  • beckajw
    Options

100% agree with you.

I feel it may have been important to state your medical condition upfront before quoting. I understand why your nutritionist would say that in your case. However, for people who don't have these conditions, it can be a perfectly acceptable recovery drink.

^^This.

You started by saying that it wasn't the right proportion. But now say that isn't what you meant. What you meant was that it wasn't the right drink for you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Excellent info. I use 16oz of the chocolate milk as my pre workout drink and sometimes as my late night kick me up. Back when I was a small, weak guy, I used to drink a quart of chocolate milk a couple times a day. I only stopped because my stomach wouldn't take it anymore.

Sara, 40oz? I would have to work alone all day. And outdoors. And I'd hope it was breezy day!

LOL: luckily I have absolutely no intolerance or sensitive to milk.

For anyone that does, you can always do goat milk or sheep milk. The fat globules are smaller and it digest more easily with far less inflammation issues and still great nutrition. In many parts of the world that is their milk source and not cows.

It's the lactose, not the fat the blows me up. Is there a lower level of milk sugar in milk from other animals?

On second thought, don't tell me. The appeal of regular milk to me is that it's cheap, readily available, and extremely effective. The second I have to go to a special store or pay $$$ for goats milk I'd take it off my list. But you've seen my diary; I eat garbage all day. I'm allergic to health food stores.

Oh, I was on the Lactaid train from the very beginning. Terrific product that works as advertised. But I can hold up to an occasional glass of milk or bowl of ice cream. And since I am no longer the skinny guy trying to gain mass, I don't need milk nearly as much. But you're right about LA, all that stuff is readily available. I drive by a ton of health food stores on my way to McDonalds
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

100% agree with you.

That seems like a very specific reason that makes milk bad for you but not 95% of GenPop, no?