Coconut oil and weight loss

Options

Replies

• vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Pyramid Quote

OH GOOD LORD NO IT WOULDN'T! My intestines would never recover....
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil in a lot of my cooking. I'm losing weight. It, along with EVOO, are the best oils to cook with.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Yes it is controversial so I tend to be careful and not have too much but it is really good for any high temperature cooking which most oils aren't so I use it then.

I'd love to know for sure if it's good to use more of it.

I try never to use oil as it deters my weight loss (too many calories).

As for cooking with it, I threw all my oil away. Cooking oil included. It just isn't worth all those calories.

Dude, how do you use oil? It's not that many calories if you use it in the correct amount, and it's incredibly good for your body, especially coconut oil!

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2

It's a 100% fat.

I think this discussion is over.
    WRONG
  • Lorlei25
    Lorlei25 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You might want to start with a half tablespoon and see how your digestive tract reacts and the numbers on your scale. Some people end up having some issues with loose stools and would have to build up to an amount such as 3 TBS a day! But you should also remember that you need to cut back on other sources of fat in your diet or you could be consuming mucho calories!
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this entire thread is 90% of what is wrong with the forums...
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Oil, is the most calorie dense food you can eat, at 4 thousand calories a pound. I don't see anyone losing weight using oil in their food.

Sorry.

False. It's really good for your GI tract, skin, and has some healing properties. It's highly recommended for people with gluten issues as raw coconut oil can repair the damage done by gluten, we'll never been "healed" because it's an auto-immune condition but eating coconut oil healed me enough that I can eat eggs and dairy again.

The brain needs fat to function and coconut oil is a great source, a table spoon a day is good, I have a friend who uses three table spoons a day and she's losing weight.

Its a medium chain triglyceride that that can be used for energy straight away. It encourages ketosis.
    Its showing benefits for alzheimers.
  • josie8grace
    Options
    Hi,

We use coconut oil often. We pop our popcorn with it, and I even bake with it. It hasn't helped me lose any weight but it's supposed to be a "good fat" so it's better for you than vegetable oil. Good luck!
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Yes it is controversial so I tend to be careful and not have too much but it is really good for any high temperature cooking which most oils aren't so I use it then.

As for cooking with it, I threw all my oil away. Cooking oil included. It just isn't worth all those calories.

Dude, how do you use oil? It's not that many calories if you use it in the correct amount, and it's incredibly good for your body, especially coconut oil!

It's a 100% fat.

I think this discussion is over.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/why-your-body-needs-some-fat-to-be-healthy.html

Well. Yeah. NOW it is. :laugh:

So go ahead and eat 100% fat and see if you lose weight. There is essential fat found in plants, but we are talking about oil that is 100% fat.

If you are bone skinny, yes you need fat. How many here are bone skinny? I read the page and it doesn't give any recommendations as to how to eat it if you are at a certain level of health and weight. So I repeat, oil, when we talk about calories, is too high and not worth it.

If you want to ingest oil that clogs up your arteries and packs in the calories, go for it.
    You need fat period!!
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Oil, is the most calorie dense food you can eat, at 4 thousand calories a pound. I don't see anyone losing weight using oil in their food.

Sorry.

So I guess you didn't know it's essential for transporting Vit A,D,E and hormones, all are vital in metabolism. Without fat in your diet you can't lose weight!

Coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid, and as such less likely to be stored energy (body fat). It has a faint coconut fragrance and taste.

My fat macro is set at 30%, about 73 calories.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

What do you use instead? I use oil in my cooking and I am losing weight.
  • suziecue66
    Options

So go ahead and eat 100% fat and see if you lose weight. There is essential fat found in plants, but we are talking about oil that is 100% fat.

If you are bone skinny, yes you need fat. How many here are bone skinny? I read the page and it doesn't give any recommendations as to how to eat it if you are at a certain level of health and weight. So I repeat, oil, when we talk about calories, is too high and not worth it.

If you want to ingest oil that clogs up your arteries and packs in the calories, go for it.

Dude-you've logged your food one time since January... and when you did log, you ate around 1200 calories.

I eat 2100+ and lose weight... and I include that "100% fat" in my diet...

tell me which one of us is living something more sustainable? :huh:

So you exercise, a lot. Good for you. I stopped logging in food because I try to eat starches and veggies. Calorie density suggests that I can never overeat if I stick to those types of foods. If you eat oil, you are packing in a lot of calories without the benefit of feeling full.

I never said coconut is bad for you. I said oil, of any kind, when we speak of calories, is terrible in weight control. If you off-set it by exercise, good for you. I won't do that. I rather enjoy my time not exercising off all the calories I eat.

=]

Oil of any kind is not bad for weight control. Actually coconut oil does help diminish hunger, also fish oils are used whilst dieting to encourage fat loss.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I used coconut oil...especially in the beginning of my weight loss journey...adding it to my coffee kept my hunger at bay.

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

I am such a fat *kitten*, aren't I.

Perhaps I should have chucked the oil away like that one guy. Not.

Speaking of oil..anyone try irish butter in their coffee?

it's yummy.

I haven't used it in a while since I ran out a few weeks ago..I really should though. The coconut oil spray is just not as good....
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options

What do you use instead? I use oil in my cooking and I am losing weight.

i use water (sautee) food, or I boil or steam cook. It was an adjustment because I also used oil before cutting it out. I don't miss it and it leaves me with more calories to eat fruits, veggies and starches!
  • suziecue66
    Options

If 1 gram of fat is 9 calories and 1 gram of carbs and/or protein is 4 calories, just do the math. However, If you eat below your calorie limit, meaning if you are following a form of calorie restriction, then yes, even eating twinkies will make you lose weight if you are not eating enough calories. I agree to that point.

And I said, when I speak of oil, I talk of calories and eating oil is too calorie rich for me. Here is an example:

Go to serving size, 1 tablespoon--calories: 116 calories, so 2 tablespoons is 232 calories.

Now go to, oh lets see how Bryer's Vanilla Ice Cream compares:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/sweets/8026/2
    1 half cup of ice cream is 99 calories. So you can have 2 servings of ice cream and it is still beats 2 tablespoons of that oil.

I'd rather eat ice cream and even exercise less.

I'm sorry, but this is just stupid. Nobody disagrees about the calorie content of oil- 9cal/g- agreed.
    Now, WHO is deciding between ice cream and oil? Can you cook with ice cream? Does anybody have 2TBSP of oil as a snack? It's a really stupid and pointless comparison.

Why cook with oil? You don't need to. Save yourself the calories.

As for the comparison, I'd rather eat 2 servings of ice cream than 2 tablespoons of oil. It has less calories, but the point is, even ice cream has less calories than two tablespoons of oil.

So you spray the oil in the pan, then you pour oil in your food. All of a sudden, your food has a ton of calories. The comparison is to make you realize to use oil sparingly, if not at all because it will not make you lose weight, and this is still the topic of oil and weight loss.

McDougall has hooked you.
  • taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options

He saved my life. I eat as much as I want and I don't have to watch calories. I don't have to portion anything. I just eat certain types of food and moderate exercise. However, I did run a marathon two weeks ago.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I used coconut oil...especially in the beginning of my weight loss journey...adding it to my coffee kept my hunger at bay.

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

I am such a fat *kitten*, aren't I.

Perhaps I should have chucked the oil away like that one guy. Not.

Speaking of oil..anyone try irish butter in their coffee?

it's yummy.

I haven't used it in a while since I ran out a few weeks ago..I really should though. The coconut oil spray is just not as good....

MUST. TRY!
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil! I keep some in the bathroom to because its great on my skin. I use it in my blended coffee and I cook with it.
    And its the best eye makeup remover I've found!!
    I don't really care what all the haters say~ Its actually the number 1 food on my most frequent page! :drinker:
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil retains its nutrients at high heat, unlike other oils, so yes it is a better option to cook with and yes we DO need fat. I deprived myself on low fat for years and just created a sugar addiction. Low fat products are full or sugar! Natural fat is good for you. I have been using it (coconut oil) to cook my chicken, its delish with good indian herbs and spices!
  • akrnrunner
    akrnrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love coconut oil! I use it on my skin (even my face) and it feels fantastic! (Great for tattoos btw! oh and cuticles!) Love the way it smells too! Very subtle though! I cook with it usually, although it does give a little bit of a taste to the whatever food, so it depends on what I'm cooking but I never even factor those calories in and I've had amazing weightloss success! (down 85lbs since February this year and 50lbs since starting on here in March!) I will factor in calories if I put it on bread or in a smoothie or something along those lines. Oh I give it to the dog too... helps with her doggy breath :)
  • suziecue66
    Options

He saved my life. I eat as much as I want and I don't have to watch calories. I don't have to portion anything. I just eat certain types of food and moderate exercise. However, I did run a marathon two weeks ago.

I agree that going low calorie or low to no added fats has perhaps reversed your type 2 or keeping it at bay.
    There was a study where type 2 diabetics ate a very low calorie diet and improved/reversed their condition. Sugar is a culprit in diabetes but also the free fatty acids. With a very low calorie diet the free fatty acids gets used up. The excess free fatty acids may have been causing inflammation to the beta cells in type 2 diabetes. Remove the free fatty acid and there was improvement