VS "Love Your Body" Commerical Rant

Options

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Honestly, this thread made me feel like I'm a horrible person. That I'm offensive and need to refrain from speaking.

That might help. I'm so used to people attacking me that I tend to assume that's what they're doing from the start. Thank you. :)

Nobody attacked you. People disagreeing with you on the internet shouldn't damage your self image any more than a marketing ploy by VS. My honest opinion is that if your self esteem can't handle these things, you should not watch TV or chat online. They will never change. You can only take care of you.

There's disagreeing with me and then there were those who were calling me a bully and saying that I hate and wish to bash thin people, which just isn't true. I have thin friends and I love them dearly. My self esteem is fine most days, I just have very vulnerable days. Tomorrow I should be just fine. Although I work the rest of the week so that will take my mind off of it. It always seems to be on my days off that I get upset over little things. Maybe I should start volunteering for overtime. :laugh:

I agree, you didn't say anything that I would consider hurtful. However, others did, and these types of threads generally bring out the fat-bashers. Not really your fault, but I would suggest just not starting these topics to begin with. Although, if you don't, someone else always does.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    "Yes, fat is unhealthy. When you're done with your journey, if you stick with it, you will probably not associate with "fat people" anymore."
    So, I actually have no issue with VS (or dove for that matter) it's simply their choice on advertising and originally I was not planning on posting to this forum. However I could not keep my mouth shut on the complete and utter shallowness and ignorance of the above quote. I'm simply disgusted that someone would chose not to associate with another because of their body type.

WILL YOU PLEASE Go back and read the TWO comments where I clarified that she will no longer associate with the TERM "fat people". Christ. That's why I put the term in quotes, because I didn't want you guys thinking I meant that she won't associate with overweight people in her life.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I love VS, and they love my spending habits there.

I love mostly their clothes. Boots, sweaters for fall, they have really comfy pajamas, and also lounge wear.

I also love their bras/panties.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    "Yes, fat is unhealthy. When you're done with your journey, if you stick with it, you will probably not associate with "fat people" anymore."
    So, I actually have no issue with VS (or dove for that matter) it's simply their choice on advertising and originally I was not planning on posting to this forum. However I could not keep my mouth shut on the complete and utter shallowness and ignorance of the above quote. I'm simply disgusted that someone would chose not to associate with another because of their body type.

WILL YOU PLEASE Go back and read the TWO comments where I clarified that she will no longer associate with the TERM "fat people". Christ.

In summary... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/associate

Multiple meanings and you're clearly interpreting it in a negative way intentionally. That's a tad obtuse and narrow-minded.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Honestly, this thread made me feel like I'm a horrible person. That I'm offensive and need to refrain from speaking.

That might help. I'm so used to people attacking me that I tend to assume that's what they're doing from the start. Thank you. :)

Nobody attacked you. People disagreeing with you on the internet shouldn't damage your self image any more than a marketing ploy by VS. My honest opinion is that if your self esteem can't handle these things, you should not watch TV or chat online. They will never change. You can only take care of you.

There's disagreeing with me and then there were those who were calling me a bully and saying that I hate and wish to bash thin people, which just isn't true. I have thin friends and I love them dearly. My self esteem is fine most days, I just have very vulnerable days. Tomorrow I should be just fine. Although I work the rest of the week so that will take my mind off of it. It always seems to be on my days off that I get upset over little things. Maybe I should start volunteering for overtime. :laugh:

I agree, you didn't say anything that I would consider hurtful. However, others did, and these types of threads generally bring out the fat-bashers. Not really your fault, but I would suggest just not starting these topics to begin with. Although, if you don't, someone else always does.

Thank you for the kind words. I stabilized and feel much better now. I'll refrain from starting these topics in the future. *le siiiigh* >.<
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    but they sell the bigg number sizes to?? :sad: i love my vs undies:cry:
  • Ras_py
    Ras_py Posts: 129 Member
    Options

WILL YOU PLEASE Go back and read the TWO comments where I clarified that she will no longer associate with the TERM "fat people". Christ. That's why I put the term in quotes, because I didn't want you guys thinking I meant that she won't associate with overweight people in her life.

Where you backtracked what you had said? OH yea, that. Sure, you said that... But its pretty clear by reading a lot of other post and replies you make what you really meant.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    i wear a 38D. i wanted a corset. oh, they don't make them above a 36. VS made me feel like i don't deserve to wear hot lingerie.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Where you backtracked what you had said? OH yea, that. Sure, you said that... But its pretty clear by reading a lot of other post and replies you make what you really meant.

I didn't backtrack, I clarified what I meant because it could have been taken two very different ways. It would be a really f'ing horrible thing for me to say "you'll never talk to overweight people again". If I meant it, then I wouldn't have a relationship with my overweight mother or a best friend who is 100+lbs overweight. I'm sorry you misunderstood what I meant. That doesn't make me an awful person. This is now a semantics argument, the dumbest of its kind.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

I love mostly their clothes. Boots, sweaters for fall, they have really comfy pajamas, and also lounge wear.

it is too expensive for me. I actually do fit into their clothes. And I am still "fat". 40 lbs less fat than before, but still. I just bought underwear, cute bras, and a shirt.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    i wear a 38D. i wanted a corset. oh, they don't make them above a 36. VS made me feel like i don't deserve to wear hot lingerie.

Fredericks of Hollywood
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I love the crap out of Victoria's Secret, but their "Love Your Body" commercial makes my size 4/6 self look like a fat *kitten* next to those people. Then you take the Dove commercial, which uses somewhat more "real-life" people, but still... I think society needs to stop trying to telling people at what size they need to love themselves and let us learn to love US. Just my 2 cents.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this helps or not, but was a size 14 at my biggest, and that was a Small.

How is that possible? I'm a Size 6/8 and I wear a VS Large.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options

No back tracking. I know what she was trying to say. Try reading it like this.

"Yes, PURPLE is unhealthy. When you're done with your journey, if you stick with it, you will probably not associate with "PURPLE" anymore."

Does that help? Semantics....
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

it is too expensive for me. I actually do fit into their clothes. And I am still "fat". 40 lbs less fat than before, but still. I just bought underwear, cute bras, and a shirt.

Yes, bras are SO expensive, I buy a new one like once a year...if that. stinks ;( But Thre clothes nline sometimes you can find great steals when they have sales. Oh, and did I mention their boots??? :)
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Based on this thread, I feel like VS carries larger sizes in Canada than it does south of the border, which is strange since in my experience American stores usually carry a wider variety of sizes than Canadian stores. I'm a 38D at the moment, and buy all of my bras at VS. I'm pretty sure the one I shop at carries as large as 40DD
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    12 pages about Victoria Secret... gotta love it.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Y'all are spoiled with your sizes in store.
    As a ****ing giantess, I say learn to shop online.
  • Zahramunr0
    Options
    I always felt the same way. Plastering 'Love your body' all over a commercial featuring women with a body type natural to.. what, like 12 people in the universe?
  • spicerv1
    spicerv1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love the dove one... I have never been able to fit in VS anything!

I loved the dove one, too...until I realized that while running that campaign in the U.S, Unilever (Dove's parent company) was heavily marketing dangerous skin bleaching products in Asia. They continue to do so.

After traveling to Asia, I've found the lighter a woman's face is the more attractive they believe they are. Don't dump on Dove when the average woman wants to bleach themselves and is willing to pay good money to do it. Its a cultural thing...not a Dove thing.