VS "Love Your Body" Commerical Rant

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Not sure if this helps or not, but was a size 14 at my biggest, and that was a Small.

How is that possible? I'm a Size 6/8 and I wear a VS Large.

I think it's a matter of proportions. One may carry more of their weight in their hips and thighs than another, causing them to need a larger size. We're all shaped different and are all beautiful, which is why I found VS's campaign rather contradictory.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,131 Member
    I love VS, and they love my spending habits there.

I love mostly their clothes. Boots, sweaters for fall, they have really comfy pajamas, and also lounge wear.

I also love their bras/panties.

it is too expensive for me. I actually do fit into their clothes. And I am still "fat". 40 lbs less fat than before, but still. I just bought underwear, cute bras, and a shirt.

Yes, bras are SO expensive, I buy a new one like once a year...if that. stinks ;( But Thre clothes nline sometimes you can find great steals when they have sales. Oh, and did I mention their boots??? :)

I heart the semi annual sale!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Fact: Put a bunch of women in a conversation situation where one group of women is the target for their disapproval and within hours it will become a conversation situation in which they are all just hating and attacking each other individually.

BlTCH SALAD
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Funny thread. Everyone gets so worked up.

I think Dove and VS campaign need to combine their ads, because in VS all the girls were skinny but in Dove all the girls were thick. There are different varieties of bodies you know ;)
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    its a commerical calm down
  • kcarlson22
    kcarlson22 Posts: 27 Member
    I had the same experience, it was so embarrassing. So I went to Nordstrom and they measured me at a 36DDD or F. I had gained a lot of weight, though I found out a week later I was pregnant :) but, even when I was D cup Victorias Secret D cup got smaller and smaller...they shifted their sizing smaller so smaller busted women would feel better about their size.
  • DieVixen
    No offense gals but sometimes its just not cost efficient for stores to sell such a wide range of sizes. VS focuses on the smaller crowd and if you cant fit in their clothes it's not their fault. I was a size 12 most of my life and used to hate plus size stores like Lane bryant because their ultra cute clothes only catered to size 14 and up. Its different strokes for different folks people. I'm a 34DD and I still have trouble finding VS bras that fit me well. Bottom line is, somethings are made for you and somethings are not.

I worked at Lane Bryant once when I was 130 and never got so much crap from customers in my life
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea that just because an ad saying "Love your body" features skinny models, it means you should only love your body if you are a skinny model. I've worn Victoria's Secret at my largest (size 18/20, 40DD) and smallest (size 4/6, 34D). If they didn't want larger women wearing their products, they wouldn't make products to fit larger women.

I can't wear Lane Bryant anymore, but I'm not going to rant about how they obviously hate women who aren't plus-sized, since they don't sell smaller sizes.

Bottom line, if you don't like their products or their campaigns, buy your bras and panties elsewhere. I swear, people wake up in the morning actively LOOKING for something to be offended by.
  • nmades
    nmades Posts: 10
    Amen, sister! I honestly look at those Victoria Secret models and think, "Are they even the same species as me?" Then I read an article about how they eat no solids for weeks before a show and I realized that no, they aren't!
  • yoovie
    Yes, fat is unhealthy. When you're done with your journey, if you stick with it, you will probably not associate with "fat people" anymore.

Well isn't that sweet? Personal tip from you eh?

I meant you will not associate with the term "fat people". You will not identify as a "fat person" anymore. And yes that's a personal tip from me, as someone who used to identify as a fat person because I used to be fat.

Thanks for your intellectual contribution to this thread

I reached ninety pounds lost in fall of 2010, 2 years ago. I still consider myself obscenely fat on most days. Hell I even take wide turns around things I could skim past.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Amen, sister! I honestly look at those Victoria Secret models and think, "Are they even the same species as me?" Then I read an article about how they eat no solids for weeks before a show and I realized that no, they aren't!

Victoria's real secret is diarrhea
  • DieVixen
    I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the idea that just because an ad saying "Love your body" features skinny models, it means you should only love your body if you are a skinny model. I've worn Victoria's Secret at my largest (size 18/20, 40DD) and smallest (size 4/6, 34D). If they didn't want larger women wearing their products, they wouldn't make products to fit larger women.

I can't wear Lane Bryant anymore, but I'm not going to rant about how they obviously hate women who aren't plus-sized, since they don't sell smaller sizes.

Bottom line, if you don't like their products or their campaigns, buy your bras and panties elsewhere. I swear, people wake up in the morning actively LOOKING for something to be offended by.

:heart:
  • Erisad
    Yes, fat is unhealthy. When you're done with your journey, if you stick with it, you will probably not associate with "fat people" anymore.

I meant you will not associate with the term "fat people". You will not identify as a "fat person" anymore. And yes that's a personal tip from me, as someone who used to identify as a fat person because I used to be fat.

I reached ninety pounds lost in fall of 2010, 2 years ago. I still consider myself obscenely fat on most days. Hell I even take wide turns around things I could skim past.

I honestly feel that will be me when I reach my goal. I'll still see myself as huuuge some days, even though I'm not. I'm 60 pounds less than I used to be but I still feel like the girl I was when I started two years ago. I don't get it. >.<
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Funny thread. Everyone gets so worked up.

I think Dove and VS campaign need to combine their ads, because in VS all the girls were skinny but in Dove all the girls were thick. There are different varieties of bodies you know ;)

This ^^^^^

Totally agree. I think they should work on promoting HEALTHY!!!
    No more stick thin nor too thick. Lets strive for that healthy weight!
  • Erisad

Victoria's real secret is diarrhea

:laugh:
  • runawaymomma
    runawaymomma Posts: 1 Member
    I hate Victoria Secret. I love their clothes, and the style but I'm a size 4 now and I have to buy a large in their undies!!!
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    tumblr_m83lsolN7E1rrpm57o2_r2_250.jpg
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    tumblr_lsxup1oUN21r4vn34o1_400.jpg
  • yoovie

I honestly feel that will be me when I reach my goal. I'll still see myself as huuuge some days, even though I'm not. I'm 60 pounds less than I used to be but I still feel like the girl I was when I started two years ago. I don't get it. >.<

you'll definitely not get it when you feel that way at goal weight and all these real women threads just rub crap in your face that you are supposed to have one of these multiple choice bodies and all you can remember is that you arent sure which one you are anyway cause your brain is so entirely out of whack with your body and it sucks more than you could conjure up in your imagination.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    you'll definitely not get it when you feel that way at goal weight and all these real women threads just rub crap in your face that you are supposed to have one of these multiple choice bodies and all you can remember is that you arent sure which one you are anyway cause your brain is so entirely out of whack with your body and it sucks more than you could conjure up in your imagination.

That sucks. Body dysmorphia is a terrifying feeling. Hopefully when the OP reaches her goal weight (and I truly hope this for her) she will find that her identity doesn't need to be affected by people who are trying to make a buck off of her. Lingerie corporations don't have the inherent right to dictate how you feel about yourself. I went through years of therapy to feel like I "deserved" to feel thin. It wasn't VS's fault, but damn is it hard to believe in yourself nowadays.