Restaurants are Irresponsible.

Options

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Skip the cheese, skip the meat, get all veggies, salt and pepper and deli mustard.

That's what I do and it fills you up every time because of all the fiber. Get water.

It's our right to say "No thank you" when something is offered to us...who cares how they look at us...they're working there-it's their job to build the sandwich, not ask questions.
  • Wildheart_Baby
    Wildheart_Baby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I worked at a Subway for 7 and a half years and you're right, there are some very bad dietary choices on offer, there are a number of fat free sauces available, in the UK we have, chilli, sweet chilli, sweet onion, bbq and honey mustard, granted these won't be low in sugar but they are a low fat option, there is also the choice of salad bowls which do away with the bread altogether, so far from being misleading, its all about what you add to the sandwich that makes it an unhealthy choice or a healthy choice.
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have never been
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Then they immediately ask you what kind of cheese you want and if you say "none" as you would have to to stay under 6 grams of fat, they make you confirm it as if you are abnormal.
    Almost everyone gets cheese, so that is abnormal.
    Move down for veggies and then get your sauce. Virtually all fo them are bad for you.
    Sauces aren't "bad for you" if you eat them in moderation. You're the one who chose to go to Subway every day.
    I used to get light mayonase. Its LIGHT so it must not be too bad. The problem is that legally "light" only has to be 30% better for you than the original, no matter how fatty that is.
    How is that Subway's fault?
    Then the serving size is 1 table spoon, but they would put about 2 times that on the sub.
    You are standing right there, tell them how much you want.
    Now at 400+ calories and 17 grams of fat, they want me to get a drink and chips or a cookie.
    Of course they want you to buy more things. They are in business to make money. All you have to say is "no".
    Then double that on the days I got hungry and got a 12" sub.
    That's the choice you made. They didn't force it on you.

Don't blame restaurants for your own choices. You can go to their website and see the exact nutritional information. You can figure out what's healthy and what isn't. They are a business, and their focus is rightfully on turning a profit. Why on Earth would you trust them to make healthy choices for you?

agreed. if you don't want cheese, don't get it. you're paying them to make it YOUR way.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Hmm... Marketing also tells me that *insert popular sugary cereal name here* can be part of my healthy breakfast... Thanks, but I don't need to start my day with that much sugar, even if it is fortified with 9000 vitamins and minerals.

You did your research, now you're on top of it. They're trying to make money. That's what they take responsibility for, not your health. It's ok to move on now.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I worked at a Subway for 7 and a half years and you're right, there are some very bad dietary choices on offer, there are a number of fat free sauces available, in the UK we have, chilli, sweet chilli, sweet onion, bbq and honey mustard, granted these won't be low in sugar but they are a low fat option, there is also the choice of salad bowls which do away with the bread altogether, so far from being misleading, its all about what you add to the sandwich that makes it an unhealthy choice or a healthy choice.

It's the same in the U.S.
  • JMTJoop
    JMTJoop Posts: 3
    Options
    You make a great, responsible choice. The original post author wrote as though he didn't have a choice to pass on condiments, sides and drinks. I've never had anyone look at me weird for telling them no cheese. I do it because I'm lactose intollerant so I could care less how they look at me anyway. They'd be looking at me really funny if they were around about 30 mins after I ate that cheese! My healthy standard is the oven roasted chicken on 9 grain oat, lettuce, onion, tomatoe, green pepper, cucumber, and my splurge is the sweet onion teriyaki sauce. It's high in sodium, but I drink a ton of water anyway so I don't really mind.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Wah + Duh
  • CountDown321
    CountDown321 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Besides the fact that normal fast food places are horribly bad for you, I have even fell in to the trap of Subway being misleading. They have Jared for years telling us about 6 subs with under 6 grams of fat. But when you go to the place (as I do 5 days a week), its much different.

I used to get about what they advertize. I'd get a 6 inch turkey sub. Good so far. Then they immediately ask you what kind of cheese you want and if you say "none" as you would have to to stay under 6 grams of fat, they make you confirm it as if you are abnormal. Move down for veggies and then get your sauce. Virtually all fo them are bad for you. I used to get light mayonase. Its LIGHT so it must not be too bad. The problem is that legally "light" only has to be 30% better for you than the original, no matter how fatty that is. Then the serving size is 1 table spoon, but they would put about 2 times that on the sub. Now at 400+ calories and 17 grams of fat, they want me to get a drink and chips or a cookie. Unless i get a diet coke and no chips or cookies, those numbers go up again. Then double that on the days I got hungry and got a 12" sub.

Bottom line - I was gaining weight eating subway on a regular basis.

These days I still eat there but get a grilled chicken salad with no cheese or dressing and fat free Lays and I net about 250 calories.

Good for you for doing math. Stupid of you to blame everyone else for putting food in your mouth.

Nevermind that FAT ISNT BAD FOR YOU. Its not causing your heart to explode or give you cholesterol.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Restaurants are out to make $ any way they can. People need to stop putting the blame on restaurants and start taking responsibilty for themselves.
  • GrahamChops
    Options
    In addition to the holes in their message, there's also the fact that Jared lost weight by eating Subway <i> and exercising regularly. </i>
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think the individual has more responsiblity in the fact that they first chose to eat at Subway, and then chose what goes on their sandwich than how Subway advertises their sandwiches. The fact is that they are a better choice than a Big Mac at McDonalds, but they also state on the napkins, on giant stickers on the counter and in CA they require calories next to the item listed/pictured on the menu. The last time I went to Subway there was even a big sticker on the counter that showed the basic turkey w/veggies, no dressing on whole wheat and then what calories adding cheese, or olives or whatever would add to it.

At that point it is our choice what we pick and they are making the sandwich right in front of you with you watching. You get to chose cheese or no cheese. Light Mayo or mustard only, ect. The consumer needs to educate themself on what they are putting in their bodies and not rely on what advertising implies.

Lastly, having you say cheese or no cheese isn't forcing you to point yourself out as "abnormal". Lots of people don't eat cheese because of health or dietary restrictions or just because they don't like cheese. You did notice that they asked you if you wanted each topping right? So are you "abnormal" because you don't want the cucumbers on your sandwich too? No, you just didn't want them and I'll bet you the person behind you didn't even notice what kind of sandwich you ordered to begin with, let alone if you wanted cheese or not.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I get my roasted 6 inch...add avocado (and count it) ad regular mayo cause light is a fail anyways, and 'decide' to get baked chips because I like it with chips. no soda.

Same point, it's about each one choices :). In mayo's case or whatever, we can always say 'add nothing' and take it home an put whatever we want in the quantities we want :).

I DO agree restaurants are irresponsible in their HUGE serving sizes for food you can;t end or bloat you. Why? We would still pay the same for even less that makes us full without all the extras.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    The premise of this thread is asinine.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Restaurants are not irresponsible - people make irresponsible food choices.

You could try making and packing your lunch - easier on the belly and wallet. :)

This
  • Merc71
    Merc71 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Look how smart you are - you actually did the research.

Now tell me how it's the restaurants fault for not stopping you from eating cheese or mayo if you look like you could stand to lose a few pounds?

So much this. Before I deployed, Subway was my stop of choice. The cheese and sloppy condiments add to the calorie count. Not the restaurant's fault -- you, the consumer, have a choice to make.
  • pippinboy9
    pippinboy9 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I worked at subway for 8 years (or so) and I can say that eating 2 meals there every day for 8 years, I lost 40 lbs--in the first 2 years of employment. It's all in the choices you make. I don't know if it's changed since I left, but if you want your sandwich to be under 6 grams of fat, you order the 6" from that menu, and tell them you want it made to those specifications. In Canada there is an * beside the 6 grams of fat logo....and it states in small writing that it is without cheese or sauce. Subway is the healthier choice between most fast food restaurants, but unless you make it all yourself, at home, you can never be sure what you're putting in your mouth. It's not false advertizing. The choices you make with your order is what can make it true or not. Opt for a salad instead of the sub....take out the bread to save even more calories. You can't blame the restaurant for your decisions. THAT would be irresponsible. IMO
  • Steveisokay
    Options
    Sweet zombie jesus - is today pass the buck day on MFP?

Take responsibility for what you put in your faces and what you do with your bodies, people. Restaurants are in business to make money, not to look out for your waistline or your health. That's your job.

I agree. I am the sole protector of my body and have to watch what I do and not trust anyone else with that job 100%.
  • amersmanders
    amersmanders Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    The impression I got that the OP was making was just that there are a lot of hidden calories, even in seemingly "healthier" options at restaurants, be they fast food or otherwise. I don't think it absolves us of the responsibility of making good health choices, but sometimes you think you're making a good choice and it turns out you're way off.

Last week I got a vegetarian sandwich at Big Town Hero (a local sandwich shop). It turns out it had over 1000 calories, 40 grams of fat and 100 carbs. Clearly, I could have been more intentional and wise in my food planning, but when choosing my sandwich, I took for granted that the vegetarian sandwich would be so much more unhealthy than the other options available. For roughly the same calories, I could have gone to Burger King and gotten a double whopper with cheese. Or gotten a whopper with a medium order of fries. Or gone to Dairy Queen and gotten a chicken basket, with fries and texas toast. Or gone to KFC and gotten a chunky chicken pot pie and potato wedges. Not that those would have been better choices by any means, nor would I have preferred them instead, but the nutrition facts for my sandwich really caught me off guard. Since then, I've tried to be much more proactive in my food choices, especially when I am eating out.

On a side note, I don't think that restaurants really need to make their food so unhealthy. Again, I don't think that absolves us of our own responsibility to make good choices, but it can just catch you off guard sometimes.
  • CheezPuff89
    CheezPuff89 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    We get Subway every Thursday, and I've still lost an average 1.7lbs a week since April 18 2012. I don't touch the cookies, they're gross anyways. I don't always get sauce, if I do I get one line of the fat free honey mustard (you can ask for as little as you want). I usually pair it with half a serving of doritos. I count all of it. Of course this is where someone could say, well if you stopped eating that junk you would have lost more!!! Probably, but I rarely feel deprived, and thats what makes people fall off the wagon permanently. They say in the advertising (in small print of course), that the "healthy" options are with no cheese or sauce and a certain type of bread. Mayo should be thought of as a fat, like butter, oil etc. I'm lucky that it makes me sick, so I never eat it. If you paired their 6 inch turkey sub, loaded with veggies with a smidge of a fat free sauce with a salad, thats not too bad of a meal. Still better than you're going to get at a lot of places. Fast food is fast food.