Restaurants are Irresponsible.

Options

Replies

• epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the comments, but I clicked on this thread expecting to find people discussing restaurants that don't provide any nutritional info about their meals and cook excessively large proportions in tons of butter so you don't realize how much you're consuming. I'd be a little more sympathetic to the OP then.

However, the OP ate at Subway 5 times a week and is angry that her light mayo isn't light enough. Well, don't get mayo? Don't eat at Subway so freakin often? This is a pretty bad instance of a restaurant being irresponsible.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I worked at subway for 8 years (or so) and I can say that eating 2 meals there every day for 8 years, I lost 40 lbs--in the first 2 years of employment. It's all in the choices you make. I don't know if it's changed since I left, but if you want your sandwich to be under 6 grams of fat, you order the 6" from that menu, and tell them you want it made to those specifications. In Canada there is an * beside the 6 grams of fat logo....and it states in small writing that it is without cheese or sauce. Subway is the healthier choice between most fast food restaurants, but unless you make it all yourself, at home, you can never be sure what you're putting in your mouth. It's not false advertizing. The choices you make with your order is what can make it true or not. Opt for a salad instead of the sub....take out the bread to save even more calories. You can't blame the restaurant for your decisions. THAT would be irresponsible. IMO

It's the same in the U.S. (the * beside the 6 grams or less). OP is just looking to pass the buck.
  • beckajw
    Options
    I get my roasted 6 inch...add avocado (and count it) ad regular mayo cause light is a fail anyways, and 'decide' to get baked chips because I like it with chips. no soda.

Same point, it's about each one choices :). In mayo's case or whatever, we can always say 'add nothing' and take it home an put whatever we want in the quantities we want :).

I DO agree restaurants are irresponsible in their HUGE serving sizes for food you can;t end or bloat you. Why? We would still pay the same for even less that makes us full without all the extras.

I wouldn't want to pay the same amount for less. I like the huge serving sizes, because then I have food to take home with me and can make 2-3 meals out of a restaurant meal. It's not the restaurant that's irresponsible, it's the consumer for failing to stop eating.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You forgot to mention how much sodium those sandwiches have. It's all about planning your meal before you go there. Just tell them to do LIGHT LIGHT MAYO.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    You CAN say NO to the cheese or the sauces.

You can say NO to the cookie or chips.

And ask for water instead of pop.

If you CANNOT say no to these foods then you shouldn't be going there. Don't tempt yourself.

If you have to eat take-out then subs are definitely a lesser evil. And you don't need to get a sub when you go to subway...you can get a salad and/or soup.

Jared was overweight and used to eat a lot more, so of course cutting down to only eating two subs a day helped him lose some weight. It was all about the calorie deficit....
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The impression I got that the OP was making was just that there are a lot of hidden calories, even in seemingly "healthier" options at restaurants, be they fast food or otherwise. I don't think it absolves us of the responsibility of making good health choices, but sometimes you think you're making a good choice and it turns out you're way off.
    How is it "hidden" when you order a cookie and a soda, or don't tell them to use less mayo? If someone thinks that it's automatically healthy just because they are standing in a Subway restaurant, that person is not bright enough to go outside unattended.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through the entire thread, but I'll respond to the number of responses I did see in the vein of, "It's your individual responsibility, not the companies'!"

I don't buy that. If restaurants and food companies were upfront and honest, I'd have no problem. But that's not what happens. What happens is that these companies spend millions, even billions, fighting tooth and nail against regulations that would force them to be open and honest about what they're serving. Remember when California wanted restaurants to put nutritional facts on all their menus? Or when NYC tried to do the same thing? These companies act like it's some horrible injustice to force them to let the consumers know what they're buying. You can't claim it's all personal responsibility when people are deliberately kept in the dark about reality.

What's wrong with letting people know what they're eating? Why shouldn't they be allowed to make an informed decision? If you're afraid that they won't buy your food because it's too unhealthy, the solution is to make healthier food, not to lie to people and claim it's better than it really is. It's disgusting that these businesses are placed above the health and welfare of the general population.

Time to grow up and be a responsible adult. And the information is available if you ask for it. I agree with the restaurants in NY and CA, the information on the menus just takes up space and makes it difficult to read. If I really wanted/needed the information, I can ask for it.
    It should be available but is not necessarily available in actuality. Without regulation, there is also no guarantee of accuracy on the restaurants that choose to voluntarily supply the information. It's not that they aren't printing the information on the menu, it's that they can't tell you anything reliable at all.

A responsible adult would ask to be informed. A responsible adult would want to know exactly what is going in their mouth. But responsibility only goes so far. If everything is stacked against you, you're going to lose, regardless of how careful or responsible you are.

How about we utilize the justice system instead of the retarded regulations? CA and NY, not to mention OR are the perfect examples of how retarded things get when government tries to micromanage the marketplace. Prosecute fraud and let the rest of us live in a peaceful, thriving market!
  • littlelaurie14
    littlelaurie14 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I wish I had the money to eat Subway all the time :grumble:
  • msmith2020
    msmith2020 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    When I go to subway, I get the kid's Fresh Fit meal. I have them put it on flatbread, add all the veggies, vinegar and oil. It comes with apples and milk. This is a pretty good option at subway, low in calories, high in fiber.

^^ This is a great idea! I actually stopped getting chips there and instead would add the apples or yogurt on.. sometimes both to have something to snack on later in the day. But that's a really good plan to have set in your mind every time you go!! Thanks!
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I think it's just easier to avoid those types of things. I mean, even when you go to a sit down type place, the portions they give you are too much. Then to top it off the sugar, the sodium, the heavy sauces. Then to top it off, the servers are trained to promote usually something non healthy, but savory. I used to work at Bob Evans, and they have some amazing healthy choices. But those were never what we were told to promote, and ALWAYS... always promote desert.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 70 lbs of my weight by mainly changing my diet, which consisted of getting a salad at Subway 4 days a week. A salad, with a little lettuce, mostly spinach, oven roasted chicken breast, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, black olives, black pepper, and their Chipotle Southwest sauce is just under 500 cals. YOU make the choices at the restaurant, just because they serve or have available bad options, doesn't mean they are irresponsible.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Oh, and in addition to what I just said, responsibility for your choices is more so on you. But places to eat, they do not make it easy on you and will tempt you. It's more costly to keep stocked on produce and healthy food as it perishes easier and takes more. So, it's not JUST their fault. It's your own fault for ordering it as well especially if the choice is there to make it better for you.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I eat at Subway at least once a week. I get a 6 inch turkey on wheat, no cheese, mountains of veggies, a little black pepper and the low cal fat-free honey mustard dressing. (And I say "a little bit of honey mustard" and then say "Stop" when they've made one or two squiggles.)

The Subways around me have actually stopped asking you if you want cheese - to save money, they only give you cheese if you ask for it. That probably annoys cheese-eaters, but once I realized that between the meat, the veggies and the dressing, I couldn't even TASTE the cheese on my sub, I've gone cheese free and never looked back.

Then I get some apples and a Vitamin Water Zero (or the unsweetened iced tea) and I'm on my way. No fuss, no muss, and really, I promise they won't remember ten seconds after you leave that you opted not to get cheese.

(I do have to watch my sodium the rest of the day when I have subway for lunch, but I enjoy it and I refuse to have any food I "can't" eat. This isn't a diet, it's a life plan.)
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    LOL, this cannot be serious.

What is so hard about NOT getting chips, cookies and soda? I never get cheese or sauces on my sandwiches, I say no to the extra sides, and the workers don't look at me like I'm an alien.

Excuses, excuses...

You "gained weight eating at Subway on a regular basis" because chose to get food that didn't fit into your personal nutritional needs on a regular basis.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Its up to the consumer to know what they are eating. The info is there, the sub is made to order, make it how you want it. And no one has to buy chips/cookies/drink. I used to get Subway all the time and I would get a 6' veggie on white. (I love the white bread there) No cheese, no sauce, no drink, no chips/cookies. If I really wanted a drink, I would get a bottle of water. Did I get weird looks? Sometimes. Did it matter? No. They weren't eating the sub, I was.

Consumer responsibility goes way beyond Subway. Just because I see a commercial saying that Fruit Loops are a balanced part of breakfast am I going to run out and buy them for my kids? No. Because they are still just sugray crap in a colorful box.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I never add any sauce besides a little vinegar and spices. Bring or buy a bottle of water and that's it. Sometimes if I get the meal I'll get Baked Lays or an apple.
  • america_c
    Options
    Scratch the mayo. Mustard is your safe bet.
  • SickSkilz
    Options
    I guess 99% of you just disagree with me or are not getting the point.

I don't have a problem with what I personally eat anymore nor do I have a problem specifically with what they serve (or what Wendy's or McDonalds serves). I have taken the responsibility to research it and eat what it healthy for me. My issue is with suggesting via their advertizing that if you eat a sub there, you will be healthy and lose weight and that implication is almost as unrealistic as if Burger King implied the same things. I am sure some people lose weight eating a side salad and a plain baked potato at Burger King, but at least people aren't going int here with that expectation.

They don't imediately clarify that you specidfically need to excercise or be like Jared and walk a couple miles there and back and specifically not get the sauces and cheese. Its like workout and diet adds where they have to put a disclaimer "Results not typical"
  • beckajw
    Options

I don't have a problem with what I personally eat anymore nor do I have a problem specifically with what they serve (or what Wendy's or McDonalds serves). I have taken the responsibility to research it and eat what it healthy for me. My issue is with suggesting via their advertizing that if you eat a sub there, you will be healthy and lose weight and that implication is almost as unrealistic as if Burger King implied the same things. I am sure some people lose weight eating a side salad and a plain baked potato at Burger King, but at least people aren't going int here with that expectation.

They don't imediately clarify that you specidfically need to excercise or be like Jared and walk a couple miles there and back and specifically not get the sauces and cheese. Its like workout and diet adds where they have to put a disclaimer "Results not typical"

You're right, they don't say you need to exercise and the reality is that you don't need to exercise to lose weight. They do however tell you that you have to eat the 6 inch with 6 grams of fat or less, and they specifically note in their stores and on the menu that those subs don't include cheese or dressing.
  • america_c
    Options

I see what you're saying. I don't think they are purposely trying to trick people, ie an unhealthy restaurant pretending to be healthy. It's all about the bottom line and moving into different demographics. They have to attract/accomodate the none healthy eaters too.