Tuna Fish: What do you do with it w/o the mayo?????

Options

Replies

• A_Valerie
    A_Valerie Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I mostly move the can of tuna from one side of the pantry to the other as i look for something that sounds more appetizing. :drinker:
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    teaspoon lite miracle whip, teaspoon mustard, little onion and pickle relish
    rolled up in roman lettuce. YUM!!

That is exactly how I make mine too :wink: I usually eat it with some melba toast
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    pepper...thats it.
  • Bobby__Clerici
    Bobby__Clerici Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Looking to find out what everyone does with their tuna?? I am looking to get more Protein without all the fat from mayo... Can't wait to hear your suggestions.

Thanks
    I fed mine to the cat.
    I just tried and tried to do the tuna thing, but that's not something I can eat unless I am breaking a 40 day fast.
    The cat was happy!:bigsmile:
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    If you get the stuff in the bag not the can it tastes good by itself
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    Light mayo mixed with dijon mustard, fresh cracked pepper, dill relish, and if I'm not being lazy grated carrot and some diced celery. The idea with the light mayo is to use just enough to mellow whatever mustard you're using. Last time I used some spicy dill relish (liquid drained) and it was awesome.

Pretty much the same way mom made it, except she used regular mayo instead of the light mayo/mustard blend.

You just need enough wet 'goo' to make it stick, but not squishy. If I can pack it into a patty and set it onto a non-stick fry pan and keep it together for one turn, it's perfect. :)

Note: I do only like the white chunk albacore tuna, which we never had as kids. We always ate whatever was cheapest/on sale at the time. Since tuna isn't a main sandwich choice for me anymore, I'm picky. I just wish the canned stuff could taste a wee bit closer to fresh tuna. Fresh tuna is sooooo good.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I dislike mayo.

You WHAT ??
  • TexMexBel
    TexMexBel Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I mix it with home made Pico de Gallo and lime... NO BREAD, I eat it just like that. yummmm
  • nomicat77
    nomicat77 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Mix in an egg and 1/4 cup of fine bread crumbs and then cook it up.
    Mix some salsa in it
    Cottege Cheese

oooooh, yum!...take that a step further and replace the bread crumbs with ground flax and some Spike salt-free seasoning, maybe add a few shakes of Old Bay Seasoning. and plop it on a big pile of fresh greens.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Whole can of tuna and one tablespoon of mayo does not have so much fat in it that it will hurt you. I eat it a lot, as a matter of fact it's probably what I'm having tomorrow.
  • nomicat77
    Options
    MAKE YOUR OWN...TASTES A MILLION TIMES BETTER AND YOU CONTROL WHAT GOES IN IT.

a million recipes on line, I like this one, but Coconut oil is hard to find in small towns, but you can always order it off Amazon.

Coconut Mayonnaise

Servings: 1 1/2 cups
    Preparation Time: 5 minutes

1 whole egg
    2 egg yolks
    1 tablespoon mustard
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 cup Virgin Coconut Oil (melted if solid)
    1/2 cup virgin olive oil

Place the eggs, mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into a food processor or blender. Blend briefly for a few seconds.

With the processor or blender running on low speed, start adding your oils very slowly. Start out with drops and then work up to about a 1/16-inch stream. This will take a few minutes.

Continue blending until all the oil is used up and there is no free standing oil.
  • nomicat77
    Options
    Vegenaise....if you want to skip the oil ans the eggs and be kind to our animal friends:)
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I never thought of these options. And I just finished eating tuna (with mayo). I will try some of these next time.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    i know someone who puts italian dressing on theirs.. i buy tuna fish in olive oil from the italian store in my neighborhood - its super yummy eaten plain.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Mashed taters!
  • tnqnt
    tnqnt Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar!
  • susannegreen
    susannegreen Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I usually do avocado, chopped tomato, lemon juice, and black pepper. I guess you could use some onion, celery, bell pepper or whatever veggies you like to add to the mix!
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Eat it plain... You can mix it with plain greek yogurt, and i have mixed it with cottage cheese before... It tasted like tuna salad but then the last few bites just tasted really gross..
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Definitely hummus! Sometimes I'll mash up some avacado and mix it in. Still fatty but natural, usable fat! Also, I'll still use mayo, but mix in tons of veggies, onions, celery, spinach and tomatoes so it doesn't take much mayo.
  • noniloth05
    Options
    Mix a can of tuna with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice, raw onions, raw tomatoes, and 1 tbsp of Newman's Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar dressing. Eat with lettuce for a salad or with a few crackers as a snack. You can leave out the rice if you want. I put rice in when I'm having it with lettuce to give it some good carbs. Olive oil is a good fat as long as you don't heat it.