Girls, how many calories are you eating?

Options

Replies

• PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    5'5", 175#, exercise 5-6 hrs/wk, 55 yo BMR=1670, TDEE=2580, currently eating at 2180 for 4 weeks then at TDEE for one week, repeat cycle.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

never take a cut greater than 15%, your body will thank you:

http://www.oxygenmag.com/Community/Expert-Q-A/How-does-starvation-versus-eating-fewer-calories-affect-fat-loss.aspx
  • HayleySlims
    HayleySlims Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have around 1,200 a day, but I generally eat less than that. Before joining MFP, I was eating around 2,000 - 3,000 a day and honestly, the different in myself is brilliant, not just in weight loss. But, obviously sticking to 1,200 means you are generally more likely to eat healthier foods to keep that down. I feel less sluggish, healthier and my zits have disappeared. I already feel more confident about myself :)
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    5'2'' 174 lbs.

I was 189, and when I first switched to a 1200 cal diet, I lost about 20 lbs within the first 3 months. But then I plateaued and gained a couple lbs back. I started asking around the MFP community after being at a hault for so long, and they brought to my attention that I wasn't eating enough. I calculated my TDEE and BMR (which if you just google, many sites will come up for you to calculate it). BMR is the LEAST amount of calories you should be eating a day and mine was 1603, so I upped my calorie intake to 1600 and have been losing fat like crazy. I also lift weights (light weights, not like a monster but until i can feel it and break into a sweat), as well as cardio, and go to the gym most days out of the week.

So if you're plateauing, I think upping your calories is what you should try and if you haven't added some strength training into your excerise I think you should. 1200 calories works for some, and it worked for me in the beginning but not long term. Plus, I love to eat, so I'm glad I can fit a few more things into my diet every day!
  • mscandyfloss
    Options
    Just under 5'7", and currently weigh 136lbs. I stuck to 1,200 calories for 6 weeks and lost 5 lbs. I upped my calories to 1,400 one week ago and have lost 2lbs since then. I exercise a fair bit too. Gym 4 mornings every week and dancing 2/3 evenings per week.
  • stephs0214
    stephs0214 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3, plateaued at 125 lbs and upped my calories from 1200 everyday to 1400 on weekdays and up to 1500 on weekends. I started losing after 3 weeks of increasing my cals. I'm sloooowly losing, but I'm losing. I weighed myself Sunday and lost 2.5 lbs.
    Edited to include that I work-out 5 days a week and recently started strength training.
  • katlehne
    katlehne Posts: 32
    Options
    I am 5'2 112lbs. My goal weight is 105lbs. I aim to eat no more than 1200 cals a day. and I exercise for about 40 min to an hour and a half a day. At the end of the day I eat about 900-1000 cals. I started doing body pump classes. I noticed a difference in how my body looks. I look slimmer, but for some reason, my weight has stayed the same. But at least I look better. Slowly but surely!!
  • nannabannana
    Options
    I'm 5'1, 167 lbs and was eating 1200 per day but plateaued and just upped my calories to 1400.. I'm so freaked out I'm going to end up gaining weight. How many calories are you guys eating and what are your stats?

5'1" working out 3x a week can easily eat 1600-1800 and still lose fat.
    Lift weights and youll be amazed!

Give fat a reason not to exist!
    Eat right and move right!

Love your post DAN!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    5'7" and I eat around 1500 calories a day (1200 goal and exercise calories). I work out 6 days a week. My weight loss has slowed, but not stopped. I started out on MFP at 250, and currently weigh 185.
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    5'3".....127.4lbs......goal is 125 so i'm almost there.....work out 6 or 7x a week and eat about 1200-1300 per day.....
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    5'1 (short right!!) 118 pounds, i workout 7 days a week, i burn no less then 200 calories 6 of those 7 which works out to be 30mins of hard cardio to an hour of cardio mixed with tai-chi or yoga. I dont lift as i want to trim first then convert so cardio is my main exercise at the moment my calorie intake ranges from 1200(MFG goal) to 1300 depending on if i eat my exercise cals or not.
  • Bonnyr1971
    Options
    I am 5'5 208 and began I too plateaued, I have been sticking with a 1200 cal diet, working out 4-5x a day both cardio and weights, going to try and increase my calories to 1400 to see if that changes anything.
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6", 150 lbs. I'm eating around 2,200 calories/day (baseline 1570 plus exercise cals) and am set at 1/2 lb of weight loss per week (though, my goal at this point is to maintain). When I was losing, I ate 1400 net (usually around 2,000 after exercise cals) and lost a consistent 1-2 lbs per week.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    5'5", CW 153Ib, SW 172Ib and I eat 1730 calories a day plus anything over 300 I exercise off! Seems to work out quite well! ;)
  • jgtrombe
    Options
    You should be eating more, otherwise your body will go into starvation mode.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and 110 about 15% bodyfat and I eat 2000-2200 to maintain!
  • alliebug42560
    alliebug42560 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm considerably older than than you; My Fitness Pal recommends 1230 calories for me, currently listed as "sedentary" because of knee problems. Let the program guide you with your nutrition needs. I suspect that your body is shutting down your metabolism a bit. I indulge in one "no counting" day a week to keep my metabolism off balance. It's important to vary your meals from day to day as well. I hope this is helpful!! Best wishes!!:flowerforyou:
  • Ann1964x
    Ann1964x Posts: 76
    Options
    I am 5'2 and do exactly what you do!

5'3" 122lbs looking to lose the last 2 to get to 120. I eat 1350 on days I don't work out and eat most of my exercise calories back on days I do. I lose about 0.5 lbs a week like MFP says I should.
  • CallyBeth08
    CallyBeth08 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I will eat up to about 1600. I eat back some of my calories, but not all. My limit is supposed to be about 1400, but I think if I eat 1200 or below, I dont feel as great and I lose too quickly. When you lose too quickly, you gain everything back too quickly. It's working for me. I have already lost 17 pounds in the past two months. Just eat the healthier food, and not junk. If you exercise, EAT MORE FOOD. lol. Your body needs the extra if you're working out. seriously.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    5'8"
    142 (currently - began at 165 before I began using MFP)
    current *net*: between 1350 - 1500, with a tendency toward weekly average instead of daily targets

I *do* eat my exercise calories; my job and life is primarily sedentary, so even though I work out up to 6x/ week, I do NOT factor that into my BMR/ etc (an hour a day hardly makes me super-active). Therefore, my calories are reflective of my daily life, not wishful thinking. I eat to fuel my workouts, so on heavy training days, my actual calories might go up to over 2k, which makes my recovery time faster and my next workout easier :happy:

I started MFP in February, have had several vacations in the interim, and while my weight loss may not be impressive, I've lost three pants sizes, increased my stamina, and lift almost three times as much as when I began :happy: I'm DEFINITELY looking better, even when the scale makes me angry :laugh: