How would you fix a deficit of 1500 cal?

Options
1235»

Replies

• AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I dont ever eat back the calories that I burned. I always stay between 1100-1300 with my goal being 1390. Everything I burned I just see as extra towards my weight loss not towards my food.

^ Please ignore all that crap. If you don't eat back calories your deficit will be much too large. MFP's numbers already put you at a deficit, and not eating them back is just foolish. I recommend eating back at least 1/2 - 2/3 of what you burned...with the idea being the more you burn the more you should eat back.

I NEVER eat back my exercise cals. Or at least I try not to.

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

And my goodness...just look at my picture and my vid.. It obviously isn't working for me. ;)

I don't understand what this has to do with the OP's question. If it works for you doesn't mean it will work for him.

OP, you most infidelity should eat if you feel hungry, but don't force yourself either if you are not. Some good foods are avocados, nuts/seeds, meats, etc.

Infidelity? I do not think that word means what you think it does. :noway:

I am going to guess autocorrect was pretty mean there, lol! Or...the previous poster was really confused :)
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

**The place you're getting confused is between bmr and tdee :) BMR = basal metabolic rate = what your body would burn if you stayed in bed 24/7 just to maintain where you are. The example given often is - this is what you'd burn in a coma. TDEE = total daily energy expenditure = the amount you actually burn in a day doing things like getting out of bed, walking to the bathroom, walking to the car to sit at your deskjob, walking through the grocery store, and other day-to-day energy expenses. Eating at your TDEE will maintain your current weight at your normal daily rate of expenditure.

So what does that mean? It means if you're eating at 1400 - which is your BMR according to what you said - you are already eatting at a deficet, because you're eating what you'd need to eat if you were in a coma. Your TDEE/actual daily burn might be 1800, 1900, 2100, 2300, etc.

To find out, go to http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ and look up your bmr and tdee. Remember, TDEE is what you're actually burning each day just by going through your daily life - not your BMR.

And don't worry, it confuses a lot of people when they get started! There are a lot of great resources around the forum for this.***

hold on a second. i thought i had this all figured out. now you are saying that my TDEE does NOT include any exercise i do? TDEE is just the calories i need to go through daily life? so what if i burn 600 calories exercising? i need to ADD 600 calories to my TDEE number? is that correct? please confirm because if that is the case, i am CLEARLY NOT eating enough!!

Your TDEE includes whatever you do regularly. You get to choose your activity settings when you calculate your TDEE. The example I gave assumed a sedentary lifestyle without exercise - it was just an example. So the answer to your question depends on how you input things into the TDEE calculator - if you chose sedentary when you calculated your TDEE, then no, it does not include any extra exercise. If you input a moderate activity level (off hand I think that's 3-4 hours exercise a week) then it does.

There's really two ways to figure out your calorie goals (well - I'm simplifying it down to two anyway) - calorie goal before exercise, which means take your TDEE without exercise and eat back your exercise cals - or TDEE that includes your exercise -but not eating back your exercise cals since they're already built in-. The one you choose is up to you. Don't mix them together though - if you eat back your exercise cals and use your TDEE minus a deficit, you're double dipping and could end up at a surplus.

Personally, I set a calorie goal that is a deficit for weightloss by itself and try to eat back about 2/3 of my exercise cals, but I'm not exercising for weightloss - I'm exercising for tone and watching calories for weight loss.

Edit for quote fails.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I am currently still having trouble staying under certain nutrition goals. I primarily have trouble with sugar.

See, the thing is, that I tend to eat almost no processed sugar-foods(cookies, etc.). With almost, I mean, that I do have some small diet snacks, by a diet-company, which does contain a bit of sugar(1,2 g per cookie), but it usually keeps me cool. Except for the fact that fruit is the main cause that puts me over the sugar spot, I have trouble with other goals too(a different goal every other day).

My question is: Is it considered good enough, if I keep under my calorie goals by just a little bit, but go over my other goals(nutritient). I find it generally hard to fill my calories for the day, without crossing the nutritient goals.

Will sugar make me fat, if the calories won't?

This is why I asked why you were limiting sugar in the first response!

Unless you have some health issue, sugar is not a "bad guy". Maintaining your net calorie deficit is THE most important thing you need to worry about. When you exercise, if you decide to eat back your exercise (and I recommend you AT LEAST eat a large portion back) calories, MFP will "scale up" your grams of macros to maintain the percentages you have set in your goals. If you haven't changed them using the custom goals, MFP sets it up so 55% of your calories come from carbs, 15% from protein, and 30% from fat. I, and a lot of people on here, think the protein is too low, so I use 40% carbs, 35% protein, and 25% fat. 40/30/30 is also common.

So, for example, if you are supposed to net 1500 calories/day and have the default macros, it will tell you to eat 207g carbs. if you exercise for 500 calories, it will scale up your carbs to 275g total.

At this point, don't overthink it. Just eat what it tells you to until it quits working.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I dont ever eat back the calories that I burned. I always stay between 1100-1300 with my goal being 1390. Everything I burned I just see as extra towards my weight loss not towards my food.

^ Please ignore all that crap. If you don't eat back calories your deficit will be much too large. MFP's numbers already put you at a deficit, and not eating them back is just foolish. I recommend eating back at least 1/2 - 2/3 of what you burned...with the idea being the more you burn the more you should eat back.

I NEVER eat back my exercise cals. Or at least I try not to.

http://aprilfitness.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

And my goodness...just look at my picture and my vid.. It obviously isn't working for me. ;)

I don't understand what this has to do with the OP's question. If it works for you doesn't mean it will work for him.

OP, you most infidelity should eat if you feel hungry, but don't force yourself either if you are not. Some good foods are avocados, nuts/seeds, meats, etc.

Infidelity? I do not think that word means what you think it does. :noway:

I am going to guess autocorrect was pretty mean there, lol! Or...the previous poster was really confused :)

Was probably going for "definitely." It was just too good to pass up. Note to self: Work on self control.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
  • mrsjacksn
    mrsjacksn Posts: 113
    Options
    bump
  • icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Make things easier on yourself don't eat and don't exercise then there is no concern then you also don't have to worry about counting or not counting!

.....then you have tons of free time on your hands (if you have the engery and strength!)!

If i eat 1200 and I burn 1200 calories then I have zero calories for the day; goal accomplished! Right?

People....a 1200 calorie diet (for women) is based on NO exercise; this is what you need to function and live a healthy life. When you burn the calories it is like you never ate them; therefore, you must eat more to meet the 1200 calorie daily intake. When the doctor or nutritionist tells you to "eat" 1200 calories this is based on NO exercise so if you exercise you have to eat more to start with OR eat back your calories!

Lets' say it takes 3 logs to keep a fire going; if they all burn to ashes what will happen to the fire if you don't replace the logs???
  • icesk8ermom
    icesk8ermom Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi guys and gals(I'm still kinda new, and have to get used to the site),

So I already had my breakfast, which was 500 calories.
    About 2 and a half hours later, I went for a run, which burned up 498 calories(I am very precise with my speed and time).

So, having read that I should eat as much calories back as I have burned up, I have come out to still needing 1500 calories to fill out throughout the day.

I don't wish to overdo my nutritient facts(I am almost not allowed to eat any sugary stuff for today), so my question to you is: what would you do, to fix this?

Great job on your run today! I would suggest not just eating 3 square meals a day; you need to have snacks in-between also which will help not making your meals have to be extraordinary high. I would suggest adding a protein drink/shake in after your run and either cut back on your fruits so you can do this without adding the sugar or putting some fruit in the shake! Also, I think someone else suggested this but add olive oil to your cooking (it is a healthy fat!). I believe the same person suggested avocados....smash some up and use as a dip with cucumbers, celery, jicama etc. Add more of these things: nuts, black or kidney beans, plain Greek yogurt, eggs (the whole egg), fish, chicken etc.

~Good Luck