Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Hasn't happened yet!
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    When I realized that the 18-year-olds I see out at the clubs every weekend weren't even born yet when Dr. Dre's "The Chronic" came out. That album was life-changing for me--it started my love affair with 90's gangsta rap that still exists to this day.

Yep, I'm that professional looking white woman driving to work in my business suit and sensible heels, bumpin' "Ain't No Fun (If the Homies Can't Have None)" and spittin' out every lyric word for word. Take "Ain't No Fun" and replace it with any popular 90s rap hit, and the same story holds true.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    There are several and they're all really recent (I'm 26).

1. Working at my IT job at my law school, when I overheard a couple kids from the high school program debating what in the world the mysterious "Save" icon was supposed to represent.

2. Seeing a commercial for one of those awful music mix CDs and it was playing everything I listened to in high school (I remember seeing those as a kid and the music was old).

3. When I realized I was older than my mom was when I was born (passed that marker three years ago).

4. On the MFP board, I read this infuriating thread from an OP who was just totally self-righteous and self-absorbed and calling everyone else rude and vigorously defending her own bad behavior (while acknowledging that it was indeed bad behavior). When I saw she was 18, I thought, "Figures." I was horrified at myself.
  • XmanMike
    XmanMike Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    When I thought I was having a heart attack. I was grossly overweight for my height. But after the doctor confirmed that it wasn't a heart attack but only acid reflux (stop laughing! lol) I still decided to change my lifestyle. This happened in January 2010.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Probably about five years ago when I would come across people who didn't understand why marrying someone named "Don Johnson" was kinda funny... which I did...about six and a half years ago.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It was such a little thing. A waiter refered to me as mame instead of miss.

^^ This also. EVERY time someone calls me ma'am, I just about lose my *kitten*. I am not a ma'am, I am a MISS, and I am f***ing happening!!! :tongue:
  • JessKrcmar
    JessKrcmar Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    ...when they played Pearl Jam on the "Oldies" radio station.

^^^this^^^ Also, when people ask me about my favorite band (Pearl Jam) and say "they're still a band?" The younger generation just doesn't know much beyond pop music.....and I'm only 31.....
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    When my 4 year old brother threw a tantrum because no one would fast forward the commercials for him.

Wow. I lol'd.

For me: When I was called 'sir' for the first time from a little girl.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    At a bar being hit on by a 21 year old man who says, "Hey babe, I love older women. We should go out sometime." :sad:

I was 34.
  • WhiteCloud9
    WhiteCloud9 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm 33, and married for my first time to a man 12 years older, who has teenagers. I never felt old until I became a stepmom to teenagers! The exact moment I realized that I'm "old" to these kids happened during this coversation...

**All of us are in the car listening to Maroon 5's "Moves Like Jagger," and the 18 year old son is loving the song."
    Me: "Hey D, do you know who they are talking about?"
    D: "Yeah, Mick Jagger."
    Me: "You know who Mick Jagger is?"
    D: "Yeah I know how he is!"
    Me: "Um, what band is he the lead singer for?"
    D: "I don't know. Why should I know that?"
    Me "Then you don't know who Mick Jagger is at all!"

I know The Rolling Stones were around way before my time but this still made me feel old!
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    A couple months ago when my 10-year old blew past me in mile 2 of a 5k race and I had to catch him and fight him off to finish ahead of him! Ended up giving me my personal fastest 5k time ever, but the little sucker was barely out of breath when he finished less than 30 seconds behind me.
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    stopped going into an 80s night in a nightclub for been to old ,the doorman said we were there first time the songs were out
  • legs_n_bacon
    legs_n_bacon Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I don't yet. I am extremely immature. I giggle at words like 'stool' and 'duty.'
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I was telling some co-workers about a scale that doesn't show your weight but just says out loud "Hey you lost 2lbs since your last weigh in" or "oh, looks like you went up some" and that I thought it was somewhat funny they were using Mary Lou Retton's voice. Once co-worker looked at me funny and said "Who's Mary Lou Retton?"
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    At a bbq with friends, and realizing that we were discussing lawnmowers and ear hair.

And possibly, the use of a lawnmower on ear hair.

I think it was about 10 years ago.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I can pinpoint two times.

1. When I trained an new co-worker earlier this year who was born in 1994. I was a freshman in high school in 1994! But I take some solace in the fact that he thought I was only 24, lol.

2. I was browsing Etsy and found a seller who has clothing and shoes I wore in junior high and high school listed as "Vintage". I googled it and yep, they ARE considered vintage! Ack!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    when I realized all of my favorite songs were playing on the "old school" station, and being referred to as "back in the day"

:huh:
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I don't get old... I just get better.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    It happens all the time when I teach. Last time it happened when I made a reference to Sleestacks and the whole class looked like :indifferent:

I'm older than you, and I have no idea what that is. It definitely sounds like something naughty, but if you are mentioning it in class, it probably isn't.:blushing:
  • WickedBean
    WickedBean Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    When the kids I used to teach swimming lessons/lifesaving to started lifeguarding at the pool.
    When the kids I used to babysit as babies (6months - a year) started graduating
    and when my baby brother (who is 12 years younger than me) graduated.