What weightloss does to people

Options

Replies

• shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with being slutty?

nothing so long as your on the right side of 30?

WTF??
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options
    Anyone know what a honey boo boo child is? I desperately need to know this now.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options

WTF??

I jest!
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i think sometimes a person is faced with the fact that they look good and for once in their life they can show it off. maybe that is the reason for the "slutty"... the "selfish" may be just wanting to maintain looking good or wear things that flatter them... the "superficial" maybe along the same lines, happy how they look so want to focus on it... it is a mind change too and i think for some people they have the "i'll show them" attitude about how good they look. it's not always a bad thing but depends on the person. i do know a few people who have lost weight and they dont' seem that way (superficial, selfish, slutty) so i'm not sure. probably depends on one's outlook.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options

Nothing, my friend. Absolutely nothing. Consenting adults playing safe? Sounds like fun.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    Options

WTF??

I jest!

Phew!
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Chances are they were that before they lost weight... just gave them more confidence and more "personal right" to be outspoken about it... Not everyone is like that. I think everyone should have confidence, but I definitely get what you are saying (I know plenty of them) Don't let that discourage you about meeting your own goals though. If you want to lose weight, then do it. Just because they are asshats, doesn't mean you will be too... :flowerforyou:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    When I lost a few pounds last year I was all happy and cheerful and then when I stalled I became cranky and angry all the time. :(
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I know several people like this. It is really sad to see actually. I have several clients who have lost weight and ended up in divorce court as well which to me is crazy. My husband loves me for me not for my weight.
    This is what i said on another thread, Ive saw a few people i know slit up about weight, losing it and gaining it and its a real shame, my hubby is alot heavier than when we first got together, but hes losing it very slowely, and i like watching it go away, reaveling the him underneath. But I will say the people I have watched spit up after weight loss, already had a chip on there shoulders and thought they we fabulous fat never mind slim, so it all goes hand in hand, the weight lose just makes there inner person come out more, abit like booze really. I cant stand people with chips on the shoulder and show off with big heads so nothing for me. Nice people with nice attutides are the way to go.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think it can be several things.

They are simply happy and proud of themselves and brag about it and how they did it. It is an achievement and reason to brag a bit. I hate how people expect others to be humble when they achieve something. Loosing weight is not a reason to be humble. It is a reason to celebrate.

Another thing, overweight and obese people tend to have low self easteam. not all but many do. They want to be liked and agree to things and try to be nice. With loosing weight they gain confidence and stop leting others push them around and others don't like it. Maybe they just finally do what they always wanted but didn't dare instead of agreeing with everybody so they like them. Ask yourself, what exactly do they do that piss you off. Maybe they are not as helpfull and supportative and go out of their way to help you but finally live their lifes.

Third thing. You say they shoudl be supportative. I guess they already completed the journey others are on. Maybe they hear them make all the excuses they made themselves and instead of nodding "Yes loosing weight is hard. Ofcourse cheating a bit is understandable." they simply tell how the things really are, That the only way to do it is to stop complaining, stop making excuses and start getting seriosu about it. But peoiple don't like hearing this. They prefere being patted on the head and if tehy are not tehy believe they are not getting support.

You didn't state what do they exactly do that annoy you so it is hard to say and saying "I'm afraid of becoming *kitten* when I loose weight" just sounds like an excuse.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I would think that weightloss would make you humble and very into helping others that were once in your shoes.

It does (the helping others part at least).

However ex-fat people can see right through the excuses, half truths, and weaknesses of fat people. For many fat people their lives are built on them. People who haven't been fat are often lacking in this vision, because they haven't been there.

A lot of fat people aren't ready to hear the truth. Being humble also means being an enabler of the excuses, half truths, and weaknesses that are keeping you fat. The ex-fat have learned how to be harsh and unweilding with ourselves, to not accept excuses and weakness.

The ex fat can only show you the door. If you don't want to see the door, you certainly aren't willing to step through it.

My thoughts exactyly.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've had people call me a "skinny b!t(h" because I've lost weight.

the only thing that's changed is that I feel happy in my skin for the first time. I'm proud of the work I've done - and I work *HARD* at taking care of myself now, in a way I never have before.

I haven't been doing this as long as some, and I have less to lose, overall, than others. That doesn't make it easier, and I actually actively avoid trying to talk about it because I'm afraid I'll be seen as rubbing it in someone's face or being cruel.

In Janaury, when I began, I sat down w/ my BF (and his roommate) and said "I'm gonna go ahead and apologise in advance, 'cos I'm gonna start exercising, which I hate, and working to lose weight, which I don't wanna, so I'm gonna be a miserable excuse for a human being." I was completely shocked when I started being the person pushing my workout buddies to go to the gym for our scheduled workouts. When did I start liking this stuff? When I realised the changes were visable, it was really hard to NOT want to shoult about how incredibly proud I was - not because I wanted to tear anyone down, but because HOLY SMOKES YOU GUYS I DID THIS! ME!!

That's what I think of when I see your post - that they're so proud and excited, they are having a tough time holding it in. It may not be about "hey, you're tubby" but about "OMG! I can't believe I managed to accomplish this!"

(This hits home especially for me 'cos my BF is one of my workout buddies, and he's not lost weight/ inches at the same rate, and it can sometimes make him irritable to not see the same kind of progress. But I am much more stringent about my diet and exercise routines, so it makes sense that I'm making more progress -- he just doesn't LIKE it ;P)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

OMFG HOLD ME BACK
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I would think that weightloss would make you humble and very into helping others that were once in your shoes.

It does (the helping others part at least).

However ex-fat people can see right through the excuses, half truths, and weaknesses of fat people. For many fat people their lives are built on them. People who haven't been fat are often lacking in this vision, because they haven't been there.

A lot of fat people aren't ready to hear the truth. Being humble also means being an enabler of the excuses, half truths, and weaknesses that are keeping you fat. The ex-fat have learned how to be harsh and unweilding with ourselves, to not accept excuses and weakness.

The ex fat can only show you the door. If you don't want to see the door, you certainly aren't willing to step through it.

My thoughts exactyly.

AGREED times three
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    You know it is REALLY like a social experiment. I feel like I have been two different people. I finally can live the life I want. I am not superficial or slutty, but I am active, I dance, I run in 5ks and I go to workout classes for fun.

But people treat you VERY differently. I did not have people be rude to me, but indifferent I guess *strangers* now I get so much attention and it feels WEIRD. I never know how to take.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    My weight loss hasn't made me slutty, or trampy, or arrogant. I'm still the same person I was a wearing a size 16 and I am now at a 4/6. Thinner, yes. Fitter, yes. More educated yes. More confident, heck yes. My weight loss has made a stronger person. Not physically, but mentally. I proved to myself that I could set a goal and exceed it. I'm now 10 pounds less than I thought possible and actually attempting to gain a few pounds back.

OP, I hope that when you get to where you are going you lose the crappy attitude. Just because someone has fought and won the battle doesn't mean they are any less of a person than you are.
  • kochou
    kochou Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i grew up as the fat kid everyone made fun of. when we moved from AUS to the US it was a pretty tough adjustment. i was 165 lbs when i was 10 years old. i finally lost weight when i got into sports in high-school (field hockey). i've been anywhere from 110 lbs to 165 lbs. i have always remained the same tomboy/jock/nerd through it all. i was one of those girls who didn't go through a slut phase. i think going from fat to thin is very similar as going from high-school to college - it's a new experience, it's a new sense of freedom for some people. it also bears in mind who you really are inside - when i went to college i was still living in the library as opposed to the sorority house. i lost 15 lbs instead of gaining the Freshman 15. it really does boil down to who a person is on the inside. i agree with the people who posted before - it reveals who you are.
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I agree with this statement. Most of the time it is their own insecurities that make them do these things. And some are just that way to begin with.
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Weightloss has it's ups and downs I guess. If they're cocky, be cockier.
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Just dip me in some melted butter, man. No one has to know.

MFP will know. :(

LMFAO Nice one