Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    @Laurie... I get such an urge to run, but when I actually do it, I remember how hard it is! I have been doing about 10 min on the treadmill twice a week at physio, but I must say I HATE the treadmill. I would much rather be outside on a trail or even a road. That way I can focus on something up ahead and watch it until I reach it, then pick another item up ahead, etc. When I want to walk, I make myself run to that object in the distance and tell myself I can walk then. Usually when I get there, I just pick another object and do the same thing. I usually end up running instead of slowing to a walk(well, I'm already this far, just keep going). I feel this kills time better than staring out the window at a parking lot (trying to keep my eyes off the clock on the treadmill). And music is a MUST... fast paced trance that helps me zone out.

Apparently my chiro benefits ran out yesterday. I got notice from the clinic that I was no longer covered by my auto benefits (work benefits are long gone since they were used up first). I got a little panicky at the thought of not getting any more adjustments for my neck. I spoke to the director after.. I told him that I still had 1/3 of the total allotment from my auto benefits left (got a statement just last week). He said if I had a lawyer they could authorize the continuation of therapy if those benefits were not yet exhausted. I happen to have a lawyer for an accident benefit claim, and I just got a letter from them today attached to a statement of my remaining benefit amount, with a note saying I could continue treatment. I'm somewhat confused by all this, I will have to get it sorted out next week.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @laurie--I keep meaning to check the brand of my running shorts, but they are buried in a bin of summer clothes. I think they are Nike. They are light-weight nylon with a built in undergarment. I find the lighter weight the material, the less likely they are to ride up. Also, if they are women's shorts I tend to buy them a size larger than I normally wear b/c then they are a bit longer which also helps keep them from riding up. Another trick I've learned is to buy men's running shorts b/c they are longer--I usually find them at TJ Maxx on clearance b/c in the men's I need a small and most men don't wear that size.

@tanya--I'm different from most runners I know in that I actually enjoy the treadmill. Don't get me wrong, I love running outside more, but I like the control I get on a treadmill. I can do intervals or speed training much more easily than when running outside. Outside I might think I'm running really fast, but maybe I'm not. Also, I tend to go too fast outside and then I burn out before I've gotten the distance I want to go. I'm actually a little worried b/c between this weather and my extra meetings, I haven't gotten outside since October or November. I have an 8k in May, and I'd like to get on the road a few times before I run that.

• hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I can't believe it's so late in the day already, so late in the month already...and I've gotten nothing done. Feeling frustrated and crabby with myself.

I think for April, I will take things one week at a time instead of setting a goal for the month. It's too much for me. I start off great, but lose steam and completely fall apart by the 20th or so.

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the Newcomers - great to see you!
    - regarding depression - I have it too - its a lifelong thing for me I don't hang out on home pages just here so if you want friends, come back here - lots of support on a daily basis <3

@Laurie - if your frustrated running - but ok with walking...think more about that..I agree with the capri idea - some thighs are just too bulky due to proportion...

@Hasea - totally agree!

@Skinny -glad to see the fishtank on your list again!

@Tanya - yes, I do hope you get that Lawyer working for you and you finally get an MRI of that area to either confirm or rule out a disc injury....

@Kaye - prayers for your Hubby

@Lori - I love how you end each post {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}

@mowmow - you pussycat you, welcome back!

Last posted top of page 693 on 3/22 and now the discussion is on page 696 on 3/27 and there’s been 86 posts! That’s more than 17 posts a day! Fantastic – I am so impressed. I don’t have time to read it all, sorry I can't do more personals.

so I’ll catch you up with my hectic life – so different from normal.

My car has betrayed me! One new battery installed but bad electrical problem persists, so its back in the mechanics hands. Getting ready to sell it. No more driving a 1999 car around. The final straw was driving home from sitting with my step mom at the hospital at 11 pm very surprised to have only parking lights, no head lamps, no dash lights, no speedometer, and when I got home, trying to open the hood and that control wouldn’t even work, and then the door locks refused to work. So its sayonara baby!

On the plus side, I’ve lost 12-1/2 lbs in the past month with being so busy with my “mom”. I adore being with her. We hold hands as she falls asleep. She is getting a bit too dependent on me being with her at night so my step-sister says. I won’t be there tonight since no car. Tomorrow she moves to a Nursing Home closer to her daughter’s house – and is looking forward to that. I’ll ask a friend for a ride there, and then car fixed Monday, 2 doc appts Tuesday, pre-op Wed. Cataract surgery Thursday, post-op Visit Friday and deep breath Saturday!

Somewhere, sometimeI have to find a car! I am going to look for a 2012 or 2013 and get a new mortgage, as I have plenty of equity and plan to not change my mortgage payment amount if I can arrange it.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @robin--it's always sad when a car dies, but exciting to get something newer.

@amanda (hansea)--yes, I also feel this month completely got away from me. Even this week when I should have felt I had a surplus of time (being off for spring break), just flew by without my getting nearly enough done.

AFM--well, rugs and bedding are all done. I will get to the fish tank tomorrow or Sunday and the grout sealing will have to wait until summer.

I cannot believe how much time these Wuthering Hts journals are taking to grade. Usually I can just skim through to make sure the students addressed every aspect of the question. However, I'm having a hard time doing that due to the complexity of the novel and the questions. I've been grading for almost 2 hours and only finished 10 journals. :(

I may try to get more done at home tonight, but right now my brain is mush and needs a break.

March Challenge:
    At or under calories 5/7 days every week and at or under as a weekly average.
    Week 1: At/under calories 4/7 (but one day I was only over by 7 calories) UNDER FOR WK
    Week 2: At/under calories 5/7 OVER FOR WK
    Week 3: At/under calories 3/7 OVER FOR WK

All-in strength challenge=core work 3 x/week; PT 1-2 x/week; run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs (sick most of week though)
    Week 2: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs
    Week 3: x/3 core; PT DONE; x/3 runs YUCK
    Week 4: 2/3 core; PT DONE; 2/3 runs
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 55 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15)

Grading Goals:
    1. x/64 AP essays
    2. x/16 AP analysis activities
    3. x/12 America Poem analyses
    4. 24/64 Wuthering Heights journals

Exercise Goals: (week 4)
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon--walk gunner NOPE
    Tues--walk gunner NOPE
    Wed--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs--PT DONE
    Fri--walk gunner DONE + gym
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

2015 Mantra = Just 15 minutes

• pabrahm
    pabrahm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Right now I am trying to give this weight lose thing a go....again. I have so much weight to lose that it feels impossible. It is nice to read that there are others struggling with weight lose too.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    My fitness this week has been a bit strange but fun. Wednesday I walked over KMart and back, just a couple of miles. Yesterday I walked to the wetlands park with sister, bil, and 2 of her grandsons. I walked around the ponds while they fed the ducks. Had 3 miles. This morning I got up and went out earlier. I walked 6.2 miles today, some around a walking track at the park, and some through the boyhood. It is a beautiful day. DH is much better. I'll just have to be vigilant and be sure he gets all of his antibiotic so it won't recur.
    Welcome to the newcomers. A lot of us here don't go to the home page much. There is lots of support here if you return often and share when you can.
    @mowmow good to see you pop in. We are still hanging in there.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody. Still not feeling well, feel run down and tired all the time.
    -Hubs is being particularly trying - I can hardly talk to him anymore without him taking everything I say wrong and getting all worked up about it, which of course makes his breathing harder, which is then my fault also. I'm frustrated and irritated and I can't even respond when he says that stuff to me because then it just escalates, and so I just shut up and don't tell him how I really feel, and now I'm internalizing everything and I'm sure that's going to show up in my health at some point.
    - We had another birthday luncheon yesterday, I guess it wasn't too bad but I went over on calories by almost 300 even with doing a little walking, and over on all my macros. I weighed myself today and I haven't lost anything since I last posted my weight, but I haven't gained either, so I guess that's a good thing.
    - I think I'm depressed. I know I'm frustrated. I want..... I don't know. I want my hubs back the way he was even 10 years ago. I'm tired of being the workhorse - seems like he just wants me around to do his heavy lifting, and not because he wants to hang out with me. I know he's sick, but right now I'm sick of his sickness. Does that make me selfish?
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @tracy (goins)--I'm so sorry about your situation with your husband. First of all, NO you are not being selfish. He is sick, but that doesn't negate your feelings and needs in the relationship. I understand what you're saying about not wanting to upset him and aggravate his condition, but going on like this isn't the answer either.

Do you have any family or friends who can help you with his care? If so, I think you should reach out to them and ask for some support. Someone who could just come visit with him for an hour or two, so you get a break. It would also be nice if it were someone who could help you two talk about what's going on. Maybe act as an intermediary in the discussion. Even if it doesn't result in you and he communicating better, it would give you a break and perhaps make him realize all that you do for him. Sometimes getting help from someone outside the situation makes us realize all we take for granted from those closest to us.

If you have no one you can ask for help, maybe it's time to look into hiring a caretaker. I'm not sure what kind of insurance you have, but it's worth looking into having a home health care worker who can attend to some of his needs. Again, even if it's only once or twice a week for an hour, that's time you could have to yourself.
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    @Morgori - mmm Spanish Paella .. I had a dish of that made by a real Spanish lady and it still stands out in my memory even though that was during my college days.

@roserex - this is a very supportive group. Just start participating.

@skinnyjeanzbound - thanks for the reminder, time to do the throw rugs.

AFM - I don't have a fitness plan yet, except get well. I got more exercise today than I have had in a week and I paid for it in increased pain. I will get there though.
    I am going to collect up all my throw rugs now and get that off my check list.
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    @GOINSTD12‌ - I second Karen's suggestion to find someone to help with DH's care. Being a caregiver is stressful; you need a break!

@Morgori‌ - Today's quote = YES!

@RobinsEgg - Congrats on the poundage!

AFM, I managed to get that assignment drafted and submitted for review/editing before 10PM. It's pretty rough, IMO, but they didn't give much direction on the narrative bits, so... *shrug* Subbed at the high school all day as well, although it was a fairly easy day with the student teacher taking charge in half the classes and the other half the kids were pretty much doing their own thing.

Fitness Friday - missed cardio today, and haven't started back on my strength training yet, but I have done 20 minutes of yoga/day for 82 days in a row!
  • RobinsEgg
    Options
    @tracy
    I can hardly talk to him anymore without him taking everything I say wrong and getting all worked up about it, which of course makes his breathing harder, which is then my fault also. I'm frustrated and irritated and I can't even respond when he says that stuff to me because then it just escalates, and so I just shut up and don't tell him how I really feel, and now I'm internalizing everything and I'm sure that's going to show up in my health at some point.
    I've walked in your shoes. Gosh, what a person accepts in the name of love.

I think Karen (Skinny) wrote a well-considered answer and I agree, You're not being selfish, you're just seeing that the time has come to tell him you've reached YOUR breaking point. But the news must be given him in such a manner so it doesn't hurt him. You probably know him best - how did you communicate other "negative" or bad news to him - maybe think back on those times for guidance now.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning all,
    @melifornia‌ You inspire me, thank you.

@GOINSTD12‌ I so wish I lived near you. Being a constant caregiver is so very hard. Get help, there usually is some organization that can assist you. I hope you reach out before you burn out.

@RobinsEgg‌ Hubby and I re-fi'd the house this week and got a 2.9% interest rate. Good luck on your hunt for new wheels.

@Tanya949‌ I hope the benefit fairy visits you. I have spent far too many hours on the phone with the insurance company. I have to keep reminding myself that the person on the other end of the phone is just an employee not a devil. >:)

@tlh0407‌ - Since I changed to the calendar in my apple devices I have to be so very careful to make sure every thing posts to all the devices. I double book myself at least once a week. Glad you made the concert

@brandyeclark‌ Congrats on the 17 pounds, great loss!

@AngelikaLumiere‌ Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out - Robert Collier.

AFM: HUGE week for me. I went to my first Triathlon club meetings this week. On Wednesday was a Tri 101. Lots of information, demonstrations on how to do transitions. Stories, door prizes, handouts and some good laughs. Last night was about longer distances. I will be doing an olympic length so that was really informative and I walked out of there with some more door prizes and great contacts. I got a backpack because I was willing to change an inner tube in front of the group.

Next week I will start my new training schedule. I have an appointment with the trainer to go over everything and make sure I am prepared come race day. The schedule looks daunting but I will do it. I am not used to taking rest days but I have been told I have to start. The group has weekly group runs, swims and bike rides anyone can participate. So I guess I am all-in on this thing. I must admit I am quite intimidated.

Hubby's first week back at work really wore him out. He went to bed really early last night. His shoulder is not as bad as I thought it would be at the end of the week.

Picked up my new eye wear yesterday. I will post a new pic soon so you can all see. New bifocals for everyday and contact lenses for when I am at the gym (makes it easier to wipe down). They had a really good deal and I got prescription readers for only $45.00 and prescription sunglasses for $48.00. So I am set for everything.

Today I am off to the gym for a swim and then spin class. I have to work for a few hours. Then get the rest of the stuff ready for the taxes. Another busy day.

Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • RobinsEgg
    edited March 2015
    Options
    <3<3<3
    Hello all...time to discuss what we'd like for our April Challenge
    Spring is here - lets toss the old challenges entirely, shall we? Why don't we:
    DO OUR OWN CHALLENGE: WE EACH CHOOSE SOMETHING WE WANT TO WORK ON.
    WE NEED TO DO IT FOR 30 DAYS ON OUR OWN AND REPORT ON TO ALL ON THURSDAYS TRUTH DAYS.

What's Your Opinion? Comfortable with this?
    <3<3<3
  • hansea47
    hansea47 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    @RobinsEgg - I'm all for doing our own thing, challenge-wise. I want to go week by week, anyway, so reporting once per week is perfect for me. I weigh in on Mondays, so was thinking I'd report then.

Saturday Success: I had spinach with my eggs at breakfast today.

And I made myself the yummiest smoothie yesterday...
    1 cup fresh spinach
    1 bunch fresh mint (about 5 leaves)
    5 large, whole, frozen strawberries
    1 individual vanilla greek yogurt cup, frozen
    1 cup milk

So good! I'm now in love with fresh mint. :)
  • brown_eyed_frog
    Options
    @Robinsegg Sounds good. Thursdays are report day!

This week was challenging. I was eating practically nothing, but an incredibly painful problem with my stomach caused me to question how I was eating. I had some grapes and a banana for vitamins, and then everything in my stomach settled down. I don't really have a NSV for this week... But I did get my pants hemmed, so that's nice!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi guys! Just a quick pop in to catch up with posts.

@robin--I like the idea of us each choosing a personal challenge. I want to really focus on my protein intake, but I know that's not something everyone is worried about, so doing our own thing works for me.

AFM--Got to sleep in a bit this morning, and then DH and I caught up on some of our DVR'd shows. I debated going to the gym, but I'm going to do my 8k tomorrow. I always have better runs when I take 2-3 rest days in a row beforehand. This will be my last training 8k before running the race in early May. Of course I will continue shorter training runs up until the race.

I'm through more than half of the journals, but need a break so I will now focus on the smaller analysis activities. I can't believe I'm not even going to get a start on the AP essays. I will need to get those done during this week b/c grades are due the following week, and I have a busy weekend. Bridal shower for a friend on Saturday and then Easter with the family on Sunday.

March Challenge:
    At or under calories 5/7 days every week and at or under as a weekly average.
    Week 1: At/under calories 4/7 (but one day I was only over by 7 calories) UNDER FOR WK
    Week 2: At/under calories 5/7 OVER FOR WK
    Week 3: At/under calories 3/7 OVER FOR WK

All-in strength challenge=core work 3 x/week; PT 1-2 x/week; run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs (sick most of week though)
    Week 2: 1/3 core; PT DONE; 1/3 runs
    Week 3: x/3 core; PT DONE; x/3 runs YUCK
    Week 4: 2/3 core; PT DONE; 2/3 runs
    8k at end of month (not sure what day) in 55 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15)

Grading Goals:
    1. x/64 AP essays
    2. x/16 AP analysis activities
    3. x/12 America Poem analyses
    4. 34/64 Wuthering Heights journals

Exercise Goals: (week 4)
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon--walk gunner NOPE
    Tues--walk gunner NOPE
    Wed--walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs--PT DONE
    Fri--walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Sat--walk gunner + gym NOT DONE

2015 Mantra = Just 15 minutes
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Had a really busy couple of days. Thursday I got about half of the garden put in. Friday I just did some housework but today was insane. I went and got a truckload of dirt a few more plants and got almost all of my backyard planted. I got 7 planters filled and planted and two out of four flower beds done. Also did the two flower beds in the front yard. All said it was a pretty solid eight hours prepping and then planting today. Luckily my brother stopped by and did help me with a couple of heavy lifting things I probably would have hurt myself on because I am stupid stubborn about doing things when I have set a goal no matter what gets in my way. I am that way with any thing work related but not in my personal areas which is why it doesn't translate to weight loss. Oh well things are going good in that area right now. I am sure I have burnt even more calories then my fit bit shows because it just records steps but without using any exercise calories I still have over 800 for the day since I tend not to eat when busy. Well that's probably enough about my life right now. I will try to get personals done tomorrow. Have a great night everyone :):):)
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Lori- I liked the article and thanks for posting. If you are looking for a tri suit try Aerotech designs. I liked what I saw on their website.

Karen and Kelley- Thanks for the tips on the running shorts. I have ordered some tri clothes so I will see how that goes. I will try the other running shorts as well.

As usual it is late but I wanted to check in with everyone.

NSV I had a great swim today and started working on the 200 IM during practice today.

Have a great day.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi, y'all just wanted to share a recipe I made up today that turned out great! Some background - I recently started saving my veggie cutoffs - snapped off asparagus stems , cauliflower leaves & cores, broccoli cores, etc and freezing them. Veggies are so expensive so why throw away half of them? Anyway today I pulled them all out of my freezer and made soup with them - Yummy! Here's the recipe:
    - Asparagus Leftover Soup
    - Stems from 2 lb asparagus, washed
    - Broccoli stems (about 3 cups, raw)
    - Cauliflower stems (about 1c raw)
    - Cauliflower leaves, washed (about 2 cups)
    - 1 cup chopped fresh cauliflower
    - 1 cup julienned carrots
    - 3 cups chicken stock
    - 1 cup fat free plain Bulgarian yogurt
    - 1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
    - 2 tsp salt
    - 2 Tbsp Italian blend spices
    - 2 tsp black pepper
    - 1/2 tsp olive oil or a bit of Pam
    - 1 skinless boneless chicken breast
    - 1 - 2 cup water as needed

Makes about 8 1&1/2 c servings at 95 calories/ serving (YES I said 95!)

Combine chicken broth, 1 c water, and your rough veggies and simmer until broccoli & cauliflower ends are cooked through. Meanwhile, spray skillet with a 1-2 second spray of olive oil or Pam and heat over medium. Thinly slice raw chicken, season with a little salt & pepper, and sauté until cooked through, about 2 minutes on each side. Let cool then shred or cut into small pieces, set aside.
    When rough veggies are tender, purée in small batches, adding enough water and the yogurt to make them smooth. Once all rough veggies are out of the broth, add the 1 c each of cauliflower and carrots, garlic, and the rest of the seasonings. Add more water if necessary. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until just tender, but still crunchy. Add the chicken and the puréed veggies, stir to combine, and simmer for another 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

Of course, you can use any veggies - you can save fresh kale stems, celery leaves & stumps, carrot ends, etc. Any veggies that are wilted or spotty you should discard or compost. This soup is high in vitamins and fiber, has only 6 grams sugar, and a whopping 11 grams protein all for less than 100 calories. And a generous serving size, too (1.5 cups).