Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• BeYourBestSelfDeb
    BeYourBestSelfDeb Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have over 100 # to lose and welcome new friends and support. I am 63, and live in Ohio. Thank you for forming this group. Best wishes everyone ☀️
  • nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I have over 100 # to lose and welcome new friends and support. I am 63, and live in Ohio. Thank you for forming this group. Best wishes everyone ☀️

Welcome @BeYourBestSelfDeb ... I hope you find this post again and become a regular poster. We don't have an age or pounds-to-lose requirement any longer; although when this thread first began many years ago, the woman who started it needed to lose at least 100 pounds and was probably about your current age. Unfortunately @RobinsEgg left MFP some years back but some posters who had been regulars hung on and kept the thread going! ... That's how supportive they (including myself under a different profile name) found this thread to be. ... It's not the same kind of thread as it had once been, most likely due to lack of posters on here and most of us who do still post don't do it as often as we used to. .. Still ... please come back and let us know how you are doing. All the successes of one of us helps motivate all of us, as well as the set backs and life issues that we share on here are felt by the rest of us.

• nsk1951
    Options
    Saturday Weigh-IN ...
    Nope .. not this week. I forgot to weigh-in yesterday (was confused as to what day of the week it was) and today I had 3 mugs of coffee, 2 glasses of water, and my breakfast before I remember that about it. .. So onto a different topic today ..
    I struggle every week with making out a shopping list and deciding what will stock my kitchen for the next week or more of food prep. Really, Really struggle!

Partly, I think, it's because I'm cooking for just one person so it's difficult to cook smaller-sized meals (I don't like the taste of many foods as left overs or frozen and reheated) ... and partly it's because of my grocery budget. ... And that got me to thinking hard about it ... I asked myself; was it always a struggle to settle on a grocery list? And the answer was NO .. because at one time I didn't worry about what foods or how much of them I brought into the house. I simply went shopping and filled my cart with all the things that I usually put there week in-week out. So then, when DID IT BECOME so DIFFICULT? ...

Then it hit me ... it started to become more difficult when I started to work on losing weight! .. Yes .. the goal of losing weight made the decision of what to buy and what to cook a real head-ache! It was so much easier back in the days when I was slowly gaining weight year in and year out. Hungry and don't want to cook? .. Dial the number and have something delivered or go pick it up; or forget a cooked meal and go grab those snack items that are on the top shelf and 'have a snack' to stave off that hunger while preparing or waiting for food.

I started my weight loss efforts by taking a very close look at my budget. The percentage of my income that went of food was startling! Not only was I buying enough food throughout the year to feed a family of several instead of one, I was spending that much again on 'restaurant food' in the form of eating out or pick-up/delivery, and fast food joints. And as I limited my spending budget for foodstuffs, my weight started to shift downward because I had to make choices and limit how much I brought into the house or spent outside of it. The first thing to be modified was the 'Eating Out' category. From several times a week to once a week, to twice a month, to once a month .. to now it is once every couple of months.
    As I got better at cutting that category, I started changing the food shopping experience as well ... more whole foods into the cart so I could cook my breakfast/lunch/dinner at home, less pre-packaged and convenience or dessert/snack foods because the budget was not allowing many of them to go into the cart ...

... So ... in a nutshell .. I guess I can say that I started to lose weight, not because MFP helped me so very much in tracking my calories or macros as it was the fact that I made a financial decision to cut my food budget ... WOW ... now that was a memory I forgot until today.

Hope you all have a great week and I'll report my weight this coming Saturday ... the day before Father's Day!
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Saturday Weigh In results ...
    5'3" tall
    Highest weight: 278 lb
    Goal weight: 175 lb
    12/28/22: 234
    5/28/2022: 221.4
    6/4/2022: 216.2
    6/18/22; 218.3
    Just goes to prove the point that weekly weigh-ins do help keep the weight down. Miss a week, gain a couple, miss more ... gain even more!

Now that warm weather is here and people are starting to gather into groups outside for fun and game ... a lot of the fun is sharing food. ... Danger Ahead! Plan wisely, stay calm, keep on track.

Have a nice week everyone. May the Fourth find you happy and well.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

I wanted to say welcome to you. I also agree with others about the frequency and changes with the thread but people here are lovely.
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    @JNettie73- Thank you for asking about my ankle it is fine it was a short setback. It sounds like you were very active your first day of summer break even if you didn’t get your workout in.
    @nsk1951- Thanks for sharing that memory with us and I love looking back and seeing when things click. I understand your struggle with grocery list and putting food in your house. I find it hard also to cook for just one person. What I find the hardest is that I love variety but I noticed that fruit and vegetables go bad before I can get it all eaten up. So I’ve learned to eat the same thing over and over again to not waste food or money. Example I will buy a bag of apples and that will be the only fruit I have until it’s gone.

as for me I have not been checking in as much because I love summer and this is the only time 3 to 4 months tops out of the year that I get to spend every minute outside doing things I love to do. With that being said my flowerbeds have all been weeded and my flowers are growing beautifully. Me and Riley have been going for about a 5 mile walk every day. I actually took Riley to a restaurant patio for the first time ever he did a great job there were no other dogs there though it was a Wednesday so it was kind of slow which is the best way to start out. Those who don’t know Riley has dog aggression issues because of losing my son he became pack leader during my depression of 2 yrs and we have been working very hard on him learning his pack place.
    I also haven’t been using the food diary lately I’m working on learning how to know my food intake without counting calories. It’s been a struggle because you know I am off my medication right now so I also need to be aware of how much salt is in stuff. Good thing I kicked a fast food habit a while back lol. I’m also working on cutting out soda as far as like Coke and Diet Coke and things like that. In the health food aisle I found this stuff called Zevia all natural soda. It taste kind of sweet to me so I drink less and it appears to be better for me. I might be incorrect in saying it’s an all natural soda because there is Stevia in it which I don’t know if it’s natural or not.
    I weighed myself today and I weighed in at 238.5 pounds. this appears to be the latest I’ve been since 2012. Looking back on my weight loss graph in 2012 February I weigh 242 pounds my highest has been 284 which is what I was January 2022.
    If I had to give any new person advice or tips it would be make sure you drink your water and baby steps set a goal of 5 pounds and once you hit that then set another goal of 5 pounds and so on.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am not new to MFP. I've been down this road several times before. In 2012-I lost 50lbs and felt amazing. Went back to college and enjoyed my little family. However, I got pregnant with our 4th child and gained back the 50 and then some. When our youngest turned a year old, I hopped back on the weightloss train. Lost 35lbs and felt great. Stayed that weight for a few years and sadly gained more than half back. Forward to today (June 19,2022) I'm now 40 years old, 228 lbs (5' tall) and needing to lose at least 50lbs. Ultimately I would love to lose 100 lbs but getting the first 50 would be wonderful. I am on IG if anyone is posting daily of your weightloss journey. Feel free to add me at @workinonmel if you like and I'll follow you back. WE GOT THIS!! :)
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am not new to MFP. I've been down this road several times before. In 2012-I lost 50lbs and felt amazing. Went back to college and enjoyed my little family. However, I got pregnant with our 4th child and gained back the 50 and then some. When our youngest turned a year old, I hopped back on the weightloss train. Lost 35lbs and felt great. Stayed that weight for a few years and sadly gained more than half back. Forward to today (June 19,2022) I'm now 40 years old, 228 lbs (5' tall) and needing to lose at least 50lbs. Ultimately I would love to lose 100 lbs but getting the first 50 would be wonderful. I am on IG if anyone is posting daily of your weightloss journey. Feel free to add me at @workinonmel if you like and I'll follow you back. WE GOT THIS!! :)

Hi Melissa .. and welcome to this post. I hope you stop by anytime and give us an update on here of how your are 'doing'.

I can relate to your up and down weight history! So many of us have had the same type of action with our weight; I know I did to a certain extent except for me it started out as a 5-10 pound change on a more frequent basis. Eventually it became a fact that the quick weight loss tactics I had employed weren't working any longer and that when I would go 'off' my 'diet' I would regain more than I had lost. That went on for a long time. Finally it's turned the other way around and I lose more than I gain so the trend is a slow downward.

What made the difference? I finally recognized that I couldn't keep doing the same thing and expect different results. And that same thing was eating the way I did ... I had to do an overhaul of the types of meals I was preparing so that it wasn't a 'feast or famine' situation but an on-going standard that left me feeling 'just right' instead of over or under fullness. And, I had to eat less often ... no more snacks. Now it's mealtimes only. That works for me.

Good luck. Stop back.
  • Girlfieri223
    Girlfieri223 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey all. I posted a while back and thought I’d give a small update. It’s been a bit of a roller coaster, but I think I’m doing well. I’m down 11.8 lbs in 77 days. Not nearly the numbers that others are sporting, and most days I find myself very frustrated with myself and the scale- but I try to remind myself that at least the scale is going the correct direction this time. I’m trying to build a lifestyle that will carry me through the rest of my life, not a temporary diet that will lead to failure and re-gain.

SW: 275.0 lbs
    CW: 263.2 lbs
    GW: 145 lbs
    Height 5ft 6in

My husband and I have a farm, I work full time, and I have depression and anxiety. The last month especially has been a test of my determination as this is about when most diets of mine have failed because I get sick of being hungry and restricting myself. I’m feeling better as to the fullness and the air fryer has been a godsend to my cravings since I can now afford to eat fried shrimp and waffle fries as long as I prepare it in the air fryer. There have been days where the depression wins and I stay in bed when I should get up and work out, and others were I am strong enough to get up and work out even though I feel exhausted mentally.

There’s not really a point to this post other than, I’m still here. Still working on it. Struggling occasionally, but I’m not giving up yet. If anyone wants to friend me, feel free. I could use more accountability on here.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    @Girlfieri223 ... my mathematical skills are telling me that you are losing slightly more than an average of 1 pound a week ... that is FANTASTIC. It's the kind of weight loss that has a better chance of staying away. Those pounds you lose in a rush when you greatly deprive yourself of calories while also working hard on the farm are the ones that tend to come back more easily ... because, partly, you body does indeed have a sort of 'set point' ... the place where your weight has been stable and it doesn't really like big changes real fast ... not that it has a mind or anything .. it's all hormonal and chemical inside of us ... still, slower and more gradual shifts are easier for the body to adapt to as the 'new norm'.

Keep up the struggle with your depression ... I don't mean to offer advice on this so I will simply share my personal experience with that demon ... ... I used to have to be on a SSRI to help with chemical imbalance in my brain which caused a lot of depression. Took it for about 10 years. Eventually I very slowly weaned off it ... because I just decided one day that I wanted to be independent of as many meds as I could get myself to be. Well ... what I discovered is that I was better able to maintain a healthier and more balanced mental place when I stayed away from frequently eating certain foods. .. The more of some that I ate, the more sluggish, mentally depressed, sad and fatigued I became and the more I monitored those foods to be just a tiny part or even no part of my diet, the better and more energized I feel. ..

Good luck with your journey and keep at it. Just never stop trying! You Got This!
  • nsk1951
    Options
    5'3" tall
    5/28/2022: 221.4
    6/4/2022: 216.2
    6/18/22; 218.3
    6/25/22: 219.6

I didn't even try to 'diet' this week. I did log my food so I would know what the total was for each day. All of my days except one were in the maintenance range of calorie intake. My activity level was up; but it was not the kind that burns off extra calories ... it was just plain fun adventures and activities that are not normally a part of my day. I don't plan on anything different this week to finish off June. Come the first of July I will once again be planning on a deficit in calories daily.

Today starts my weekly pick-up of produce at the organic farm I've joined for this season. This week that bag is mostly greens as not much els is in season at that farm yet. There will be garlic scapes, sugar snap peas, green onions, radishes, an Asian cabbage, romaine and red leaf lettuce, Swiss chard in my bag. I'll have to come up with recipes to use up the Garlic scapes, Swiss Chard and Asian Cabbage as those will be new to me.

I hope everyone has an enjoyable and successful week.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hi, all. I'm back after a long hiatus. And all the weight plus more is back. Highest true weigh-in of my life to date... 259.2 pounds (I'm 5'1" for reference).

My physical and mental health are not where they should be, by a long way. I started a program to work on what I can for the mental health a few weeks ago, and have come to the realization that I need to work on my physical health at the same time, as they are intertwined to an extent.

It might be a little stretch to get back to "onederland" again by the new year, but I'm going to try, and my back-up goal date will be March 31st. 27 weeks for the former and an additional 13 for the latter.

From there, I'm not totally sure what I'm going for as an end goal. I'll probably go for 140 first and reevaluate if/when I get there.

I'll try to get caught up on the thread this week. I have a long way to go to get there too, as I'm currently somewhere in December last year in the history.

ea2hy2b7ewwd.jpg
  • nsk1951
    Options
    Welcome Back @MelodiousMermaid ... I was under a different profile name the last time I was on this thread a number of years ago ... but I remember you from back then. It's always the right time to start!
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    @nsk1951- A mystery bag of stuff sounds fun. Good luck with your recipes. Sometimes that high energy level with those types of fun activities is what our mental health needs.
    @MelodiousMermaid- Welcome back! I agree that your physical and mental health are in twined. I know when it rains a lot and I can’t get outside I go stir crazy. I’m so determined to get my walks in every day for my own mental sanity that I’ve gone walking when the feel like temperature here in Minnesota was 105 and the humidity was like 70%.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    @mnwalkingqueen ...I made 2 dishes so far with some of that produce ...
    Most of the Swiss Chard was used in a very simple side dish that used boiled potatoes added to skillet cooked chard with a bit of garlic. The chard tastes like spinach. The side dish was tasty.

I was disappointed in the appearance of the Sugar Snap Peas but did, so far, use half of them to add to carrots to make a boil of the two .. I really do like carrots and peas combined. So simple, so easy, tasty.
  • nsk1951
    Options
    5'3" tall
    6/25/22: 219.6
    7/2/22: 218.6
    The year is 'half full' ... as of today, 182 days until New Year Eve date 12/31/22. ... Oh, I want so very much to end this year down 19-20 pounds more!!!

That first farm share pickup was somewhat a disappointing ... I was expecting the vegetables to look as good as I remember my moms, who was also an Organic 'farmer'. ... but then, her garden was 'only' a couple of acres instead of the huge operation Porter Farms is. They cannot water or isolate plants as easily as mama did .. who spent her entire day except for breaks during the heat of the day and appointments in her beloved gardens, from sun-up till sun-down. That said, some of the produce in my bag she would have fed to the chickens, rabbits, pigs, and cows instead of to me. ... Still ... I cleaned them up and found ways to use them up during the week. And ... I have to admit it ... I am looking forward to picking up todays bag, now that I know what to expect and have had a taste of eating produce I don't normally have around my house.

My goals for July are not super specific, but pointing in the direction of the daily things I want to accomplish ...
    Focus on calorie deficits daily
    Increase both fiber and protein intake
    Reduce processed grain products
    Get outside daily

Have a great Fourth of July (Independence Day) everyone in America. And everyone elsewhere as well. Let's all join our cosmic forces and keep world peace and harmony in our thoughts!

Niki in Batavia

• JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Just checking in. Summer has been off to a good start. I had my follow up with my doctor last week. My blood work looked really good. My A1C is right at the cusp of pre-diabetic, which I am working on lowering. I still have to focus on weight loss, I only lost a few pounds from my last visit. She did say at this point I "am fine"! She informed me that I don't need to test my glucose anymore. I opted to keep testing because I feel it helps to keep me on track. We will reevaluate in 6 months.

I've been trying to change up my exercise routine a bit to see if that helps get things moving again. I know what works for me - consistently weigh out my food and log it. I've been slacking on logging my food. It's just so much easier eating and not being tied down to a kitchen scale. But it is what makes the difference for me and I really need to get back to doing that.

I don't know where some of the newer members are located. Those of you who are in the states, does anyone have any fun plans for the 4th of July? We are doing a neighborhood party with 4 houses. It should be a fun day. I am hoping for a rematch of our epic water fight and possibly some tug-a-war.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Options
    Hello, all. Thank you for the welcome back... I think it's a good thing to be part of this group again, hope to make the most of this long journey ahead with all of you.

So I'm pretty sure I was holding on to extra water or food weight this morning, but I'm going to own the number on the scale, and call it the beginning in case I miscalculated last week's intake/TDEE. It is, again, the highest I've done a true weigh-in at. That's incredibly frustrating, but maybe I'll get to see a bigger drop sometime in the (hopefully near) future?

News from my end:

I was starting out with a very strict diet, which would've provided me with optimal (fast) weight loss, but ran into a trigger on Monday that set me into a binge. Through that incident, I learned that I'm not going to be able to go at things super hard and fast like I have in the past. So I looked into various ways of eating on deficit, and think I found my long-term match: intermittent fasting. The way I'll be doing it is low cal days on M-W-F and maintenance calories on the rest of the days. I think this will prove to be a match in the long run if/when I make goal weight as well, because I can tweak it so I can go above maintenance on strength training days, and under on off days to make for a balanced week overall.

Exercise is something I'm being careful about reintegrating, as if become extremely sedentary. For now I'm only focusing on increasing my steps each week, with high days (3) and low days (4) so I can allow my body to recuperate and change itself. I'm going for a 10% increase each week. I plan to do this for at least a month before reintroducing strength training to the fitness regimen.

5'1" F
    Midwest USA
    High Weight: 260.5
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 132.0

07/02/2022: 260.5
  • mnwalkingqueen
    Options
    OK I’m gonna try this again and try to remember not to hit the done button but post reply🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️.
    @nsk1951- i’m sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your farm share package that you got as far as the quality goes. I was reading through the goals that you set for yourself and they sound very good. I’m a big advocate for the getting outside daily one, because for me I realize if I don’t do a walk at least once a day I don’t feel like myself.
    @JNettie1973- Great news from the doctor. I also love that you are still checking just to make sure you’re on the right track. It is always good to switch things up when it comes to the routine. I have always been a little bit envious of people who get to do gatherings on holidays. Living with a borderline personality mother we never got to do things on holidays she always just wanted to stay home and watch TV. As I became an adult I still just never got invited to any of the gatherings that my friends had. I spent my Fourth of July walking Riley for 4 miles, some yardwork, watching Christmas movies my favorite, and normally I would’ve gone to a firework show but they canceled it in my city
    @MelodiousMermaid- sounds like you have a plan in place for your eating. And it’s always good to integrate the exercise as you feel fit no pun intended. before you know it you will have been walking more steps than you thought😉.
    AFM-
    Well I weighed in again at 238 this week, no surprise when you were just saw all the junk I ate last week I’m actually shocked I didn’t gain. For myself I am just working on not counting calories and learning how to trust my instincts and gut when it comes to eating. I have been waiting on the weekends to only eat when I’m actually hungry and it’s been working out really well. However Monday through Friday I can’t do that because of the type of job I have I can only eat on my breaks. I am though trying to not eat dinner if I’m not hungry Monday through Friday. I try to catch up at least once a week it is so nice here summertime it will only last for another month or so. I always want to be outside as much as possible even if it’s just to water the yard and flowers. I I also have cut down my soda intake from 3- 20 ounce Diet Coke’s to 1-12 ounce can of Zevia.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    Options
    Great job on the beverage quest, @mnwalkingqueen ! I hope you find intuitive eating to be a success, even with tweaking it for working needs.

I created a spreadsheet projecting my weight loss through various checkpoints (mostly by the 10 lb marks)... if I stick to the program, I should reach a healthy weight (by BMI) around 1/22/24.

That made me realize I could be there by Christmas next year if I throw in some extra workouts, so I've started strength training earlier than I'd planned, and I decided I'm going to try to slowly add in the elliptical as I tolerate it to get that extra burn. Suffering from a major case of DOMS now due to not training for almost 2 years and jumping in even at a beginner weight level, but hopefully things will level out soon.

Eating went pretty well. I was within target range every day other than Sunday, which was a special celebration day and I allowed myself to enjoy what I wanted with a few modifications. I do feel somewhat hungry on my low days, but so far the knowledge that it's just that day I have to get through has allowed me to feel better about sticking it out. No binge urges for the last five days! This is a very positive sign!

5'1" F
    Midwest USA
    High Weight: 261.0
    Ultimate Goal Weight: 132.0

07/02/2022: 260.5
    07/09/2022: 257.5