Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    'Apologies for the extra posts. The site was glitchy.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time at the moment, why, because when I want to help others that I feel are getting attacked by others, those people turn on me. I don't normally mind it but to attack me or my family cos of what I put is really not on. If I see posts like: help me, help needed or is this right, I try to help the OP. Then some people come on and attack the OP and me. Maybe I shouldn't help anymore but that's not me. I don't know what to do anymore.
    Yesterday my neighbour's driver greeted me and because I knew she doesn't even let him get a drink of water, (he sits in the hot sun all day and I've given him water before), I asked him if he was ok. My husband asked me why I was talking to him and I told him I was just asking if he is ok. This man now left the neighbours yard and came into ours to help with the groceries because my first son was struggling to get them out of the car. He didn't have to do it but he it because he was grateful. That is why I help others. Who knows, maybe they will be the one to help me when I need it.
    I'm far away from home, friends and family. I'm Irish and living in Nigeria with my Nigerian husband and four kids. I don't have many friends. In fact I only have one. I know no body my own age. I don't leave the house to do anything, which I hate. I feel I'm wasting my life. I know this is not the life I am meant to live. I'm supposed to be doing something worthwhile.
    I'm of happy with my life at all.
    My husband is a wonderful man, my kids are great but that's not enough, I want more!!!
    I've lost so much weight in the last five weeks, 11kg. I want to help other women do the same, not over the internet but here in Lagos, Nigeria. I am doing a weight loss plan that costs big money and I know some women can't afford it so I want to give them a cheaper option that does almost the same thing and involves healthy foods. I don't wanna sit at home anymore. I'm tired of that.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning and Happy Mother's Day to mother's of both two-legged and four-legged babies. :heart:

Welcome to all of the newlings! You have found a great place for encouragement and support, check back often to get the most out of this thread.

@Laurie~I'm sorry your dad is back in the hospital, I hope he makes a speedy recovery and is home again soon.

@Karen~Great job on your run! I always notice the wind when cycling, there is usually head wind on the first half of my lap and then have it at my back on the back side--my time on the back-side is always quicker! :wink:

AFM~Not much to report. Yesterday was a busy day with a meeting at church in the morning, hair appointment for color in the afternoon (I only cut my hair twice/year), then shopping with my mom. Last night I was awakened about 1 am by a highly volatile domestic dispute--not sure which house it was or who was involved, all I heard was a very belligerent man that seemed either intoxicated or disoriented. That kind of thing never happens in this neighborhood, so it was shocking when I woke up to it. I think another neighbor did call 911, as it got quiet after about 45 minutes. After which, a thunderstorm blew through--so a sleepless night needless to say. We're having severe thunderstorms this morning, too, I thought they were moving on but a second cell is moving through (gotta love Spring in Texas)--really heavy rain and we're under a flash flood warning so need to stay put until it lets up (my front yard looks like a lake right now).

Everyone enjoy the day!
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Mother’s Day!
    Mother's Day is a modern celebration honoring one's own mother, as well as motherhood, maternal bonds, and the influence of mothers in society. It is celebrated on various days in many parts of the world, most commonly in the months of March or May. It complements similar celebrations honoring family members, such as Father's Day and Siblings Day.
    The celebration of Mother's Day began in the United States in the early 20th century; it is not related to the many celebrations of mothers and motherhood that have occurred throughout the world over thousands of years, such as Pitru Paksha in Ancient India, the Greek cult to Cybele, the Roman festival of Hilaria, or the Christian Mothering Sunday celebration (originally a celebration of the mother church, not motherhood). Despite this, in some countries, Mother's Day has become synonymous with these older traditions.

Learn to smile at every situation. See it as an opportunity to prove your strength and ability. ~Joe Brown

Tom
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share ... So, I called my sister this afternoon for a chat, and started the conversation off with a 'Happy Mother's Day'. My sis' response was "Why do people wish Happy Mother's Day to people who are not their mother? I hate that." It was a short conversation.
    Follow-through --- Niki
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    @kah68 Sorry you were awokened by the argumentative neighbors....I would've called the police just to log it in. Same with dogs that bark. After a certain number, the SPCA can post an offical note on their door, and start an investigation. Sadly living in California has made me paranoid. When I hear neighbors arguing then stopping, I can only imagine the worse situation and so I make it my responsibility to be the voice of the wife that isn't talking, or the dog that is being ignored. That is just me though, but I would pay attention to that set of neighbors abit. If she is out weeding or something, start up a conversation while getting your mail...

Today I feel really positive and making Sausage Rice Heaven. I have titled it that :-) I had some leftover beef kelbasa, and so I added some wild rice, beans and green beans, and chicken stock.

Today I am glad to be the mom of 3 sons. The eldest talked on the phone with us last night, but never mentioned Mothers Day, but I am ok with that. He is 25...in the Navy, so he has alot to think about besides me. I am proud of him regardless :-) The last time I saw him was in January.
    My middle son 20, is going to skype with us at 5pm with his new wife. They are both in the Navy, so just seeing them will be awesome. I saw them both at their wedding in Sept.
    My 16 yr old at home here, gave me a tall-lanky kid- hug and I am happy with that. He also made a pot of coffee.
    Being a mom of Navy sons can be a tough thing. The fact that I raised them until they were 17 yrs old but then the Navy gets them for 20 yrs seems harsh at times. Scheduling a visit is near impossible, and holidays are whenever you wish them to happen. So you see them when you see them. No expectations, no demands, they are serving a higher calling. So I just try not to cry too much when I do see them, and realize that the ache in my heart is similar to the ache I felt when my husband went out to sea. I feel honored to have it.
    :-) Hugs to all of you.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Annr - 3 sons - how wonderful! gosh I have no children but if I did I'd wish them to be just like your's with the 2 oldest in the Service - I would be so proud and the other at home with me. Your dinner dish sounds lovely - I'm going to try and approximate that someday - I bet you have to make a ton to fill just that one boy at home and yourself huh!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @welcome Icanplay and wwh and varieties 991 and gena beana -and Thnjessie and RodaRose - altho many of you seem sorta familiar - lets have a great week!

@ -great race specially in those cold winds! I'd say you defininitely did good!

@CBlue - Lori - your planters of blue out front are so pretty it made me smile as i could picture myself walking by, now if I was only walking by every nite - so please post nitely OK? ha ! :) So proud so see your total weight loss, and you are wise to post it often. Did you have a pleasant mothers day? Sorry the hubby is not growing with you.

@Laurie - praying for your dad and mom to get the light....

@jorinya - hi - you are such a nice person for wanting to be so helpful. I would suggest helping other women. If you are happy with your weight loss why not share it with other women? You seem to have access to the internet. You can take what you learn her to help them. One thing I just learned tonight is free on the internet is Crossfit. It is hard, it is intensive, but one has to start at their own speed....anyway.
    You could help people get started exercising. Good luck on your own efforts.
    Don't listen is someone criticises you for something in your heart you did for good will.

@Kah - I get scared when I hear those domestic disputes "go quiet" I wonder what happened to the woman or something else awful. So now I call the po-lees asap, and now I KNOW that the nosey neighbor called on them.......its kinda scary, you don't wan't kids hauled away from their parents, so you have to judge the volume abit and the hour of the evening; too; and the frequency; and the day of the week. I'm sure you of all people made the right call of course!

@Tom - thanks for "eddyfying us"!

@Niki - lovely strawberry gift from the young'uns, and I hope you had enough time to telll you sister about it before you got off the phone! Huh, what a puss!

AFM - spent yest-day with my step=mom, gave her one of those see-through umbrellas that's super-big so it will cover her in her wheel-chair as well as the person pushing her. Adorned it with tons of curly ribbons - presented it to her. It didn't have a card with it. She turned up her nose. And I stayed thru dinner. She intro'd me to every one at the table as her "step-daughter, Ellen" (she never hesitates to make that distinction) Well she was daudling over her food so I said I'd meet her later in her room I was going to run to the store. So I shot up to the Highway and drove to a store and bought the biggest To My Step-Mother on Mothersday" Card I could find and drove right back and ran up to her room and gave it to her. Boy did that get the Thank yous and whoop ti dos! And a place with all the other cards. Sheesh - well, I bet she used that brolley today- it rained all day and she went to her 'not-step' grand-son's for dinner :):p !

I have finally beaten my insomnia probem. The docs snowed me with meds for several days and that did it so off to bed every nite at the stroke of 12 from now on. Up by 9. Pain from this fibromyalgia is much better now that I take naps too

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

Happy Mother's Day to all of the moms on our thread! DH and I went to brunch with my family which was very nice. I finally satiated my pancake craving with some delicious lemon ricotta pancakes. Yum!

Afternoon consisted of some TV time with DH and some grading time at Starbucks. Tonight I've gotten a few more done while half watching a Modern Family marathon.

Got some exciting news today. One of my life-long friends called to invite me to be his "date" to a theater event this Thursday. He and his husband bought the tickets a while ago but now his DH has to travel for work. It's an event called "An Evening Celebrating the Who" with Pete Townshend, Eddie Vetter (of Pearl Jam), and Simon Townshend and friends. Roger Daltry is hosting and "recently added friends" include Joe Walsh and Joan Jett. Apparently it's to benefit a teen cancer charity Townshend and Daltry started some years ago and Chicago is the only US venue for the show. I'm so excited!!!! Now I have to figure out what to wear!

May Challenge:
    Nutrition = At or over 90 grams of protein 5/7 days a week
    Week 1: At/over 90g of protein 1/7
    Week 2: At/over 90g of protein 1/7
    Week 3: At/over 90g of protein x/7
    Week 4: At/over 90g of protein x/7

Exercise = run 3 x/week:
    Week 1: 1/3 runs
    Week 2: 1/3 runs
    Week 3: x/3 runs
    Week 4: x/3 runs

Next 8k is May 9th (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15, 3/29 = 59:15; 5/9 = 59:16)

Grading Goals:
    1. 46/64 AP essays
    2. x/16 AP analysis activities
    4. 8/60 JRPs
    5. x/60 Hemingway analyses

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--walk gunner
    Tues--walk gunner + gym
    Wed--walk gunner
    Thurs--rest day
    Fri--walk gunner
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

2015 Mantra = Just 15 minutes
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Today was a great date, went to church with my wife and mother of my two sons. We then went to the town where both our mothers live and had a cook out. It was great and if not for the Nacho cheese and chips I would have had a great day, but oh well.
  • jorinya
    jorinya Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Monday, check-in. Ok so haven't weighed myself yet so can't say if I gained or lost since last weigh-in. I ate a little more yesterday but still managed to stay under my calorie goal. I haven't slept well cos there was no electricity, which is common here in Nigeria, and was attacked mby my only enemy...... General Mosquito!!! Bites all over my body. May need to go for malaria test soon. We fumigated the house less than six months ago so can't get it done yet. Besides we're moving to our own house soon so no point. Gonna find a nice spray and kill those enemies until then. Will update later, getting kids ready for school then going to bed to catch up on my sleep. The sooner my oldest son goes the school the better he is SO annoying.
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    @Annr -- I lost loads of weight before on here, and I never, ever stopped drinking lovely real ale and craft beer. You just have to find space for it. And I'm sure you're super proud of your Navy boys, and that goes a long way to make up for the hardship, doesn't it?

@Tanya949 -- here's the place for long rants, really. I love hearing that other people's life are as disorderly as mine, too.

@RobinsEgg -- one of the nice things about London is that lots of the fast food here is healthy now. it's a real change over the last few years. Lots of places doing salads, smoothies, sushi, light wraps and so on. Of course you can still have fried chicken if it's want you really really want. I'm a big 'if it fits your macros' girl so my view is that a burrito is healthy if you've counted it. My girl never has time for breakfast! She grabs a smoothie in a disposable cup and drinks it on the way to the bus stop. Or sometimes we make breakfast bars so she can do that, same principle.

@NK1112 -- I think gift cards for services people use make a fine gift that doesn't create clutter. Though money might be even better. It's like a gift card for *everywhere*.

@Lauriek70 -- thinking of you and your parents.

@skinnyjeanzbound -- Karen, I am not sure that there is ever a proper justification for a chocolate chip bagel... And well done for doing your 8k!

@icanplay3 -- Welcome! It's hard when family want to meet up in restaurants. Can you organise a meetup for a park, or a museum, where the temptation to eat uncounted treats isn't so great?

@jorinya -- that is amazing! I have some skinny fit jeans in my cupboard; I'm pretty sure they'll never fit, but they're Aspirational. One of the reasons I like this thread is that everyone's always so supportive. I think some of the threads on MFP get to be a bit of a pile-on, and that's not so nice.

And a great big welcome to all the newlings!

Monday check-in -- I lost 2 pounds this week, despite being a bit rubbish about checking in and logging. So I am on my way. No particular hardship, either.

I did miss a couple of days last week but I'm pretty confident about how things are going now. I am so glad to be back!!

Those of you who remember me from times past may remember that I was on a green smoothie kick -- that was helped quite a lot by our purchase of a Vitamix! We got ours at a big discount off the regular price, but it was still a hard decision for us to make. I'm so happy because my husband has decided that smoothies are a thing he can make. So he's making the breakfast smoothie for the kids and I don't have to get up at 7am to do it. (I am not very good at mornings). Today's wasn't honestly green -- banana, apple, forest fruit, chia seeds. Just a sort of regular smoothie.

In other news, the prom dress is bought for my daughter. Super-cheap eBay job so we will inevitably end up with loads more spent on Sturdy Support Garments, a little black jacket, shoes, hair, makeup, accessories... but it's a start. I have been promised photos -- there will be a photographer at prom.

As for me, I definitely have no money for new clothes right now, so my plan is to lose weight and then 'shop my wardrobe' for all the nice things I bought when I was thinner...

I hope you are all starting a new week with enthusiasm for the interesting things that will happen!

-- Alison

14568673.png
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Just dropping in to say 'hi' . It's been awhile. It's been a long, cold winter and I gained back any weight I'd lost last summer, so here I am again, trying and determined to be in it for the long haul. I'm dong fine right now. I probably won't be posting on this thread much , but still like to read everyone's posts. I think I lost my 'ticker tape' and must try to put it back in place. Darn, can't remember how to do it.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Monday Check-in
    13541709.png

@Melwillbehealthy - the way you get your ticker back is from your 'Profile' page. Check there and if you are having trouble finding it, try the help features on MFP.

As everyone can see from my ticker, I've backslid a lot and came in at 250 again this week. At first I was going to put it off to the swelling in my legs and feet that's returned along with the arthritis flare up this spring ... but I must be honest; my food intake has been awful ... as is attested by the fact that my calories were at goal only 2 days out of the past 7. Niki isn't doing a very good job of following through on her good intentions but is an ace at following through on the easy side of the road.

Alison ... I love your ticker's picture. You have come a long way!
    Karen ... whoop-whoop on your good news to see that show. Great groups, good music!
    Ellen ... sorry you feel slighted being a 'step' ... you do treat her like she were 'flesh'.

Annr ... keilbasa is one of my 'guilty pleasures'. Bought one this last weekend to make a Bigos but ate the sausage ... bought another one to replace it and ate that up again. Put the pork in the freezer.

Goals for this week ...
    1. get those input calories under control by
    2. cooking instead of restaurant meals
    3. make a decision TODAY about residing the house or cancelling the deal.
    4. clean this house!!!!!
    5. install the window air conditioner(s)

Follow-through, Niki
  • Gena_Beana
    Gena_Beana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

Hi everyone. I'm doing fairly well today for a Monday LOL. I had a really good success this weekend on Saturday at Zumba, where the "fast" instructor was holding the class. Normally I cringe when she's there because she is really high impact and her music choice is ungodly fast. However, I am proud to report that I was able to keep up with her through about 80% of the workout, even the jumping jacks! My knees didn't give out.

You'd think I would've injured myself by all the crazy workouts I've been trying, especially being so overweight (still have about 95 lbs to lose) and my 'bad' knees. Yet, the mild injury occurred this morning putting my daughter into her car seat, go figure. Seems I've pulled something in my hip? It's not too bad, I can walk & I'm just doing extra stretching while standing (although I probably look crazy jutting my hip out on that side to an extreme distance stretching it).

I've also adjusted my calories on MFP using the IIFYM calculator. It has me eating A LOT more, but I guess I will have to play around with macro's to understand what will work best for me. Surprisingly, it appear I have been eating more protein than anything. So, I'll try out the current split and see how I do. I'm not accustomed right now to eating a lot of carbs. I'll give it two weeks and if no greater drop I'll play with the numbers a bit. The good news is, this is the first time in my history of weight loss attempts that I am not obsessing over a number on the scale. I know I feel so much better and I've already had to buy new pants, new bra's and new shirts from dropping 2 sizes, so I know I am on the right track.
  • Gena_Beana
    Gena_Beana Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    jorinya wrote: »
    Monday, check-in. Ok so haven't weighed myself yet so can't say if I gained or lost since last weigh-in. I ate a little more yesterday but still managed to stay under my calorie goal. I haven't slept well cos there was no electricity, which is common here in Nigeria, and was attacked mby my only enemy...... General Mosquito!!! Bites all over my body. May need to go for malaria test soon. We fumigated the house less than six months ago so can't get it done yet. Besides we're moving to our own house soon so no point. Gonna find a nice spray and kill those enemies until then. Will update later, getting kids ready for school then going to bed to catch up on my sleep. The sooner my oldest son goes the school the better he is SO annoying.

Here in the US we have Avon, and they sell a product called skin so soft, that has always worked amazing for mosquito's for me. You spray it on your skin and it doesn't have that harsh smell like other mosquito repellents do.

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Eat What You Want Day
    Date When Celebrated: Always on May 11th
    What would you like to have to eat today? Okay, great.....health permitting, go ahead and have any and all of your favorite foods and snacks. Because today is Eat What You Want Day.
    Eat What You Want Day is definitely not a day for diets. It is one single, solitary day in the year to go off your diet and eat something you really enjoy, Today, you can set aside your dietary "No-No" list. Today, you can splurge. Tomorrow, it's back to the diet. It is important to note that today is not intended to eat as much as you want. Rather, the goal is to eat something you otherwise wouldn't have. If you are watching carbs or calories, simply keep within your limits by eating just a small amount of that favorite treat.
    Caution: People with allergies and/or medical conditions, may not be able to fully participate in this day. Simply said: Do not risk your health to participate in this day.

Attitudes are contagious. Are yours worth catching? ~Dennis and Wendy Mannering

Tom
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Annr and @RobinsEgg~Normally, I would agree with you; however, given the size of this city and the fact that I’m a woman living alone I tend to not get involved. Many years ago, when I lived in an apartment, I called the police on the guy upstairs from me having a bon-fire on his balcony (idiot). I had to live through the repercussions of that (many months of harassment before I was finally able to move). So I don’t get involved anymore. I live in an extremely safe neighborhood, so that kind of thing never happens. I did notice she was home yesterday and am not even sure her daughter was home during the ordeal. The more I think about it the more I suspect the guy was intoxicated and someone was preventing him from driving. Like I said, I live in an area now with very low crime and that kind of thing just doesn’t happen.

@Mel~Nice to see you checking in. I’m not sure the tickers “appear” regularly—when they made changes to the forums, they removed that capability and am not sure it has been restored. But then, I haven’t tried. :wink:

@Alison~Hooray for the loss and for DH taking over the smoothie responsibility. I would love a Vitamix, sure don’t like that price tag though. :frowning:

@Geana_Beana~This is often trial and error, we have to find that macros “formula” that works best for us. Sounds like you are on the right path.

@jorinya~Oy, mosquitoes—they love me! :frowning:

AFM~Not much to report. After a weekend of severe storms and certain areas being ravaged by tornadoes, the sun is out today. We’ll dry up just in time for the next Spring storms to move in tomorrow through Friday, oh joy! I am excited to report I’m at the 90-day mark for my next cruise (actually leave for San Francisco in 87 days)! :smile: I’m ready for a much-needed two-week vacation. The friend I cycle with is having surgery this week, not sure what day yet but it will affect my exercise schedule I’m sure. I haven’t posted exercise goals in a while, so here they are:

Monday~Cycle
    Tuesday~Weights
    Wednesday~Cycle or gym
    Thursday~Weights
    Friday~Cycle or gym
    Saturday~Rest Day
    Sunday~Rest Day
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I haven't posted for a few days. I'm always reading. I'm one of those who loves to read of all of your successes and struggles. Don't apologize for the rants. I think that having a safe place to express our frustrations is a vital part of our success.
    I had a nice Mother's Day. Nicole, Cathy, Amy, and I went shopping. Amy bought my lunch. I was looking for a red dress for our anniversary party. I didn't find one, but did buy a dress and a basic white cardigan. I've ordered a red dress on-line. Red is DH's favorite color for me to wear, so I thought it would be fun to wear a red dress. Yesterday after church, we went over to have dinner with Thom's family to celebrate Sam's 6th birthday along with Mother's Day. It was fun.
    I've been sorting pictures so our son can do a picture show for our anniversary. It is sure fun. Yesterday I took a couple of pictures over to Thom. I told him that they were pictures of Timmy that were over 40 years old. Timmy even thought they were of him.
    I haven't done well about logging and my weight is up a couple of pounds. Sometimes I feel like I'm just watching the scale go up and am powerless to stop it. I know that isn't true! I have all the power in this situation. I just have to take control. I see the podiatrist Wednesday. I sure he has a quick fix.
    Welcome to the newcomers and the returning friends.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • melifornia
    melifornia Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    @skinnyjeanzbound - OMG! I want to go to that concert with you!!! Wear something rad and take pics!

@NK1112 - Your (very short) phone call with your sister yesterday made me laugh. Some people just want to be grouchy.

@BohemianCoast - I'm a bit envious of the fast food options you described. When I visited London a few years ago, our hotel was just around the corner from a Tesco (which really narrows it down, eh? :wink: ) and I adored all the healthy, reasonably priced options we had for meals. Here my healthy fast food options are Subway, Subway, and Subway.

Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

Finally feeling better! Minor allergy stuff lingering, but we've had a lot of rain the past few days which cleared the air nicely. Can't believe I've developed allergies at almost 40. Bleh. Anyway, just got back from the gym where I hit the elliptical AND DID MY STRENGTH TRAINING ROUTINE! w00t! Between traveling and being sick and just not wanting to do it, it's been about 3 months since I lifted weights. I think my daily yoga has helped me from totally backsliding because it wasn't nearly as tough as I expected. Still, pretty sure my muscles are going to be mad tomorrow. Tough noogies. Comic Con is in 2 months and I want to be able to wear sleeveless tops without feeling like I have wings.