Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• thelectricguy
    thelectricguy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi people! Got room for an old man who is way over weight? Been heavy most of my life but now I have been diagnosed with type2 diabetes, and have to loose weight! I lost 42 lbs some time ago but had a knee replaced and put it all back on. I like some Com padres in my battle.
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. This discussion looks like it could be fun and informative. Sunday = Sharing... I'm new to MFP, and things have been going well. I dropped 16 pounds before joining here, and I'll know when I step on the scale Wednesday how successful my first week has been. Exercise has not been a priority for me, and I'd like to drop another 24 pounds before I focus on that. I'm a full-time student, getting my BA in both Sociology and Gerontology. I've been living alone since the end of last September, and could not be happier about it. I'll stop there before I end up rambling on and on.
  • Sherryisgettingfit
    Sherryisgettingfit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone!! I'm back after a three month absence, I just can't do it on my own!!! Planning a walk at 7 pm since right now it's about 90 degrees outside!!!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Looks like a few newlings have jumped in--yes, there's always room for more on this thread. Come back often and we will get to know you.

@tammy (ltconst)-- glad your hubs enjoyed the dinner you made.

@laurie-- hope you are able to convince your mom to get some help once your dad is back home. Change is always hard.

@tracy (goins)-- that's awesome that you could hit Onederland by the end of July!

@lori (cblue)-- I know you're enjoying not being in "training" mode, but do you have any future races planned? I found that once I started, I have a hard time not signing up for more. In fact, I almost signed up for 2 on the same date this summer! Thank goodness I realized it before paying for both. My next one is up in your neck of the woods--Bigfoot State Park--it's a 5k trail run. I've never done a trail run and the friend I'm doing it with isn't a runner, so I think it will be more of a fast hike than a real race. I just hope the weather is nice that weekend.

@jennbo-- don't beat yourself up about the scale movement. I'ts normal for your weight to fluctuate from day to day--it doesn't mean you didn't lose 100 lbs. My weight varies, but as long as it stays within a 5 lb range, I'm okay with it. My goal right now is to make that 5 lb range lower. LOL

@katrena (kjeffries)-- Wait, what? You got married? Congratulations!!

@becca (annr)-- you crack me up!

@tom (morgori)-- there are some great soul food restaurants in Chicago. Fortunately for me, they are very far away (mostly on the South Side) or I would have trouble staying away. I love soul food! One of my colleagues used to commute from a neighborhood with a really good soul food place, and he would often bring me treats. I will have to make a visit this summer.

@niki-- did you ever feed your pizza craving?

@robin-- if you're keeping up with the thread, I hope you are doing well. We all miss you. :)

June Challenge:
    Nutrition = At or over 90 grams of protein 25/30 days -- 6/25

Exercise = run 10 x minimum this month including at least one 8k.
    Week 1: x/2 runs
    Week 2: 1/2 runs
    Week 3: x/3 runs
    Week 4: x/3 runs

Run another 8k (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15, 3/29 = 59:15; 5/9 = 59:16)

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + yard work DONE
    Mon--walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Tues--walk gunner
    Wed--walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Thurs--walk gunner
    Fri--walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Sat--walk gunner + gym or run outside

2015 Mantra = Just 15 minutes
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday to All!

My name is Lori, soon to be 55. I am an interior designer who owns my own window treatment store.
    Starting weight 297, current weight 181, goal weight - below 150

Today was a good day. I have been struggling of late with lots of issues. Good workout today, got in a walk with a friend from the gym.
    My birthday is coming up and in honor of turning the great age of 55 I will be doing a mud run on the 28th of this month. There are quite a few friends and gym friends who will be doing this with me. If any of you out there can make it to Fond Du Lac, WI on the 28th of this month I would so dearly love to have you. If not, think of us while we are getting muddy. And to top it off it is Pirate Themed this year. Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum!

@skinnyjeanzbound - Yes, the mud run is the next event. Then a 5K on the 4th, a sprint triathlon on July 12th. I am contemplating another mud run in August. I think I am hooked!

@thelectricguy - Welcome, always room for more.

@Losing100byMay - Welcome to you. We do like people who ramble on. We get to know you so much quicker that way.

This weeks goals:
    Log all food, fluids

Monday - Boot camp class
    Tuesday/Thursday Trainer WO
    Wednesday - Total Body Class
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - Spin

20 miles of road biking
    5Krun
    By Thursday - shave 6 seconds off my line sprint routine

Love to all,
    Lori <3
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @lori-- my trail run is on the 27th, and I've learned the hard way not to do 2 events back to back. Otherwise, I would join you on the 28th.

Sunday Share:
    I'm karen--a HS English Lit teacher from Chicago. I'm 45 and have been on MFP since March of 2011. I started out at 241 lbs and lost about 60 lbs over the first 2 years. Since then, I've been hovering in the 180s--my goal this summer is to break into the 170s. Not sure of my ultimate goal, but I know I'm not yet where I'd like to be. I've gone from a size 18 (US) pants to a current 12. I'm not that concerned with clothing size or weight, However, I still have a higher body fat % than I'd like.

A recent shoulder injury has put my weight lifting on hold which has made working out a challenge, but since I can't do much else, I will use this time to really focus on improving my running pace and endurance. I caught the running bug shortly after joining MFP--started with c25k, and have worked my way to regularly running 5ks with an occasional 8k. I'm currently signed up for three 5ks over the next 6 weeks. I would like to do a few more in the Fall, but am waiting to see if I need shoulder surgery which I should find out this thursday.

For those of you new to the group, I found robin's thread in July of 2011 and have been a faithful member ever since. If it weren't for the wonderful people on this thread, I'm sure I would have quit long ago.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people.

Lori- Good luck with your upcoming races. My next race is a 5K on July 4th.

Karen- Enjoy the trail run, just watch out for tree roots and uneven ground.

Today was a another busy day but good. I did get in a 12.5 mile bike ride this morning in 1 hour. So it was a fast 12 miles today. I enjoyed the ride before it started to get to hot and there was a nice breeze this morning before it died out. Had a nice picnic today to celebrate the Flag Pole and Flag dedication at Kinder Farm Park. I am glad we had the picnic indoors because it was sweltering outside today. Went to see dad this evening so that was good. He was a little more awake tonight, his new roommate is nice and likes to talk.

Have a great week. I am looking forward to the last week of school. 4 kid days and 5 teacher days. Looking forward to Friday.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Monday Check in .... my scale must be broken. It thinks I gained 7 pounds this week. However, since it's check-in day, I have to take it as it stands.

13541709.png

Guess I need to put more action behind my mantra.
    Follow-Through Niki

No @Skinny/Karen, I did not get my pizza fix yet ... need to buy some missing ingredients on my next shopping trip. However, I should just have ordered a pizza at one of the many pizza parlors we have around here ... because I gave in to another unhealthy treat ... Mighty Taco's Super Burrito with a side a Mexican rice, and Wendy's chocolate Frosty.

@Kkeffries/Katrena ... wonderful news about your recent marriage. Congratulations to the man and best wishes to you.

Welcome all the new 'members' of this thread. @otter_ and @thelectricguy and anyone I missed.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Lobstah Day
    Today is National Lobster Day! Did you know that lobster was once considered peasant food? In the 1800s, lobsters were incredibly plentiful and New Englanders could simply walk down the beach and capture them during low tide. Many servants lived off of lobster during this time period. In fact, one Massachusetts community had to pass a law that limited how often you could serve lobster to your servants. It was a modest three times a week!
    Today, lobster is considered a luxurious delicacy all over the world. In the state of Maine alone, lobster fishing is a $1 billion industry. There are many ways to enjoy lobster, but the most popular cooking methods are boiling, baking, steaming, and grilling.
    To celebrate National Lobster Day, host your own lobster bake or order some lobster at your favorite restaurant tonight!

National Lobstah Day!

Classic Lobstah Rolls
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 10 minutes
    Total Time: 25 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings
    Serving Size: 1 roll

Ingredients
    3 1-1 1/2 pound lobsters, steamed and meat removed (about 3 cups lobster meat)
    2 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    kosher salt
    fresh ground pepper
    6 tablespoons melted butter
    4 New England Style hot dog rolls
    4 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
    Instructions
    Chop the tail into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl with the claw and leg meat. Whisk the mayonnaise and lemon juice in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently toss the dressing with the lobster meat and set aside.
    Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and add two tablespoons of butter. Toast the outside of the hot dog roll in the skillet until golden brown. Flip and toast the reverse side. Repeat with remaining rolls.
    Open each roll and fill with 1/4 of the lobster salad. Drizzle 1 tablespoon melted butter over each roll and top with 1 tablespoon chives. Serve immediately.
    nsz4oqqh5kkz.jpg

Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy. ~Thích Nhất Hạnh

11857432.png

Tom
  • AVT78
    AVT78 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello everybody,

I like the positive vibe going on here. I would love to join in here whenever I get a chance =)

My name is Amy, I'm a 36 year old married mother of two who works full time. It's nice to meet everybody!!

I want to lose a total of about 60lbs. I just recently lost 15 pounds before falling off the wagon after vacation. Funny how vacations can do that :o I'm very determined to continue on in this journey. I look forward to getting to know everybody.
  • MrsMorgori
    MrsMorgori Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    YAY!! Lobstah Day...it's what's for supper (the only lobster I like, made by Tom!) :) Life is Good, but the summer is here, I hope we don't melt by weeks end, temps are to reach 110+ B) Have a Happy & Healthy Day Everybody :)
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    @Kaye…nothing like a celebration to get the house done, right? We used to host a family reunion (about 150-200 people) at the farm every 5 years. Buildings got painted, updates to the house got done, junk piles got cleared out. :wink: Happy Anniversary!
    @Kelly…glad you are seeing results on the scale.
    @KJeffries…congrats on all the changes in your life.
    @Jennbo…been there done that. Yes, logging is the key isn’t it?
    @Lori…My husband’s rehab center had two intensive “family” days. He asked myself and his sponsor/co-worker to come. Lots of tears but lots of good. I just remember having a splitting headache after each day from the tension/stress/tears etc.
    @Tom…my husband always has a Lobstah Roll at Dad’s in Niantic CT whenever we visit. Probably a couple times. :smiley:
    Welcome to the newbies…yes there’s room and this is a great group that is very supportive and helpful.

AFM…Busy week again. My daughter has started summer school. My husband takes her in the morning and I have to pick her up at noon. My son has started his Sports Conditioning. It’ll be 4 days a week from 12:30 – 1:45. Nice that I can pick Emma up and drop Jacob off at the same time over my lunch. He’ll walk home when he’s done. And then as far as me, Vacation Bible School started last night and I’m in charge of the KidVid Cinema. On top of that, I have two cakes due this week so I might see some late nights. I started the week off with almost 8.5 hours of sleep last night so at least I’m off to a good start.

Goals today; drink my water, stay with calories and increase my steps from yesterday.

Have a great day
  • ushkii
    ushkii Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Went on a little trip this weekend and ate at two buffets one breakfast and one Chinese. The Chinese is my kryptonite I just can not stop. I am not sure if I would call this a slip off the wagon or did I just hope off and jog along side for a couple meals? Last week I did not post any loss, but no gain either. I was kind of discouraged about that so it make it easier to agree to buffet eating. today I grabbed on to the wagon and pull my self back on and started logging again. I guess it could be considered a cheat day or day and a half. Or I just took a break and now need to get back in line.

My garden started growing while I was gone, wonder if it was acting like a watch pot trying to boil? I will be happy to have tomatoes and cumbers right outside.

Welcome to the new people!

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @ushkii--chinese food is a weakness for me as well. Fortunately, my DH doesn't really like it, so we rarely get it.

@tracy (tlh)-- I'm always so impressed with your ability to bake cakes for a living, but not devour them all yourself. I really, really like cake. :smile:

@amy (mrsmorgori)-- try to stay cool!

@amy (avt)-- Welcome! Vacations are a normal part of life and we can't be expected to stay perfectly on track during special times like those. The trick is to get right back to the healthier eating and lifestyle that you are making your new "normal."

@tom-- those lobster rolls look delicious! I've actually never had one.

@niki-- I haven't had a frosty in forever!

@laurie-- Yes, I'm "naturally clumsy" so will be extra careful on the trail run. I'm doing it with a friend who doesn't run, so we will likely walk most of it. That will be much safer for me. LOL

Monday Check-in:
    Had another productive day. Went to PT this morning, then went to the school and did some more cleaning of files. There's still a lot to do. My plan is to get to the HS at least once a week to continue to work on that.

I didn't get to the gym, but I did take gunner for an extra-long walk. It was very warm/humid and we went at a brisk pace, so I was sweaty by the time we finished.

My DH just discovered that our hot water heater went out. Not a big deal, but he's having trouble getting it to fire up again which is making me nervous. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a repair right now. The unit is fairly new, so hopefully it's just being stubborn.

June Challenge:
    Nutrition = At or over 90 grams of protein 25/30 days -- 8/25

Exercise = run 10 x minimum this month including at least one 8k.
    Week 1: x/2 runs
    Week 2: 1/2 runs
    Week 3: x/3 runs
    Week 4: x/3 runs

Run another 8k (Thanksgiving 8k = 56:49, NYE 8k = 57:47, 1/25 = 55:41; 2/28=55:15, 3/29 = 59:15; 5/9 = 59:16)

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + yard work DONE
    Mon--walk gunner DONE
    Tues--walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Wed--walk gunner
    Thurs--walk gunner+ gym or run outside
    Fri--walk gunner
    Sat--walk gunner + gym or run outside

2015 Mantra = Just 15 minutes

• claywalton
    claywalton Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm on week 2 of the c25k and it did get a little better, I wasn't as out of breath as I thought. But, I don't feel I will be in any shape to run a 5k when I'm done with this. I finally got some new shoes so my feet don't hurt as bad, but I'm going to the doctor in the morning.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @ushkii - Think of this as a learning experience. You learned from this experience. Now you know what to do next time.

@skinnyjeanzbound - I am sure this race will be fun no matter what the pace. The area you are going to is beautiful. Still is about 2 hours south of me. Have a great weekend.

@claywalton - You will amaze yourself. You will be ready by the time you are done. Keep in mind it is just a suggestion to do it in that time frame. You can take longer if you need to. I took longer and did not follow it exactly and was finally able to run 5K.

@Lauriek70 - Yea, for the last week of school. So good to hear your dad seems better.

@Morgori and Ms. - The Lobsta Rolls look scrumptious. I would so love to have one.

AFM - Boot camp class this morning was great. We each had a pack of 30 playing cards and had to do walking lunges and lay them down one at a time. Then lunge back and pick them up. If anyone bent over too far she called us out on it. I brought along a customer who wanted to give it a try and she loved the class. After that we ran up and down the hill lots of times and did leap frogs and laid in a row doing planks and had to hop over each other down the row. All together loads of fun while burning calories.

On a more serious note, my oldest started Intensive Out Patient Treatment tonight. Being his mom and being in recovery myself really does not make it any easier for either of us. We need your prayers. I had my last drink on the 4th of July 30 years ago. I am in no way tempted but I want to get in his business and I know I need to allow him his own path to recovery.

Thanks for being there,
    Love to all
    Lori <3
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    bump---

Good day but long evening.
  • wellnessnowemf
    wellnessnowemf Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    RobinsEgg wrote: »
    Hello Everyone!

Welcome to our discussion. We are a great community - both men and women
    - and provide excellent support and motivation for your personal weight
    loss journey.

This is not a group. This is an ongoing discussion of support and motivation and you can easily participate. There is no "joining" to do. Just post a comment! happy That's all it takes. Go to the last - most current page (600 and counting)and write a comment - whatever you feel like saying, and click the REPLY button. You will be welcomed by other people posting and hopefully you will return often. I try to send a welcoming message within a week of your first post.

After posting, you can find your way back by checking your "COMMUNITY"
    tab, then on the "MY DISCUSSIONS" listing, and all the DISCUSSIONS you
    have posted to will show up. If you click on the STAR to the right of the
    DISCUSSIONS, that selects them as your favorites. Then you can click on
    the Titles of the DISCUSSIONS and doing that will return you to the most
    current posting on the DISCUSSIONS thread.

GOALS and IDEAS for daily posts (Not mandatory)

Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)

Wednesday - Wishes (what do you wish? It can be weight related or not, can be realistic or not)

Thursday - Truth (got anything you need to fess up to or get off your chest?)

Friday - Fitness (what are you doing to get fit? How are you preparing for weekend eating?

Saturday - Success (what have you accomplished; focus on the positive of the week, NSV=non scale victories)

Sunday - Sharing (tell us a little about yourself....update your personal life)

Welcome to each and every one of you as you start this journey - Robin

Hi! New to the group. Have had struggles my whole life.... Today is my Monday after my Vegas vacation. I was completely mortified. I could not buckle the seatbelt on the plane. Time to take this seriously.
  • bugaboo4uhg
    bugaboo4uhg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    They say the first step is always the hardest....well today I did it!! Only looking forward, no looking back!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hey guys! Just had to pop in once more tonight to say...

Hawks win!!! Stanley Cup is back in Chicago!!!