Options

Replies

• Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy National Cookie Exchange Day!
    With one of the most beloved holidays of the year just a few days away, many folks are busy with last-minute holiday shopping, decorating, wrapping and putting the final touches on that elaborate or intimate feast. While Christmas is a joyful event, it can also be a stressful and hectic time for others. Whether you plan on celebrating the holidays with a few close friends or large family gathering, the holidays can be a lot of work! Today reminds us to slow down for a moment and enjoy the season with a few sweet treats to eat! Dec. 22 is National Cookie Exchange Day, an annual event created by the Queen of Holidays.
    Whether you host a party in your own home or have one at the office, cookie exchanges/swaps/parties are loads of fun and pretty simple to put together. Save the date, invite your guests and whip up a batch or two of your favorite tried-and-true homemade cookie recipes or try that brand new recipe you’ve been eyeing and share/trade with your guests.

” He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree.“~Roy L. Smith

11857432.png

Tom
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Tom, I am giving cookies tomorrow as gifts so I will be participating in the cookie exchange.

One more work day this week and I am very excited. Ended up baking longer than expected tonight but now I can give away even more cookies. No exercise today but not slacking either. Baked all evening: cake, mint chocolate chip cookies and ginger cookies. Now I can say I am done. Yeah.

Tomorrow, I will be climbing so that will be a good workout.

Hope everyone has a terrific Wednesday.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys--

@laurie-- I also spent more time on the holidays than planned and missed my trip to the gym. However, I got almost all of my gifts today, plus a few things for myself, so it was a productive day. Woohoo to only one more day for you. :)

@tom-- I will be avoiding the cookie exchange. I much more inclined to eat them than bake them, so it's probably a wise move on my part. ;)

Tuesday Goals:
    I made quite a bit of progress on my lists today. I only have one more gift to buy for my BIL--no idea what to get him, but I'm sure I'll find something. I also need to hit the pet store to get gifts for the fur-kids, but that will be an easy trip.

In addition to the gifts, I found a pair of school shoes that I've been needing for some time, plus got a new pair of runners. In addition, I found three cute tops and a skirt at TJ Maxx. I've really needed some new clothes for both work and going out, and all of these fit the bill.

General Goals:
    1. finish Christmas cards DONE
    2. go to post office for stamps and to mail cards DONE
    3. finish gift shopping ALMOST DONE
    4. wrap presents
    5. clean fish tank
    6. clean house (this goal needs to get broken down further) STARTED

Grading Goals:
    1. 2/2 student rec letters DONE
    2. 15/15 speech outlines DONE
    3. x/40 AP essays
    4. 30/59 SL diction posts
    5. x/1 colleague rec letter

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner NOT DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Fri-- walk gunner (Christmas)
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I forgot to check in today!
    My goal today was to just try to keep all brain cells intact. As far as I can tell, I'm doing that.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Good Morning!

It’s just seems wrong listening to Christmas music while its 80 degrees outside, doesn’t even feel like Christmas. Our weather is usually pretty mild anyway, but shorts? It’s just not normal. :wink:

@Tom~ I’m a baking queen this time of year and always bring in cookies for co-workers. This year I brought Snowballs (they’re really similar to a pecan sandy) and coconut macaroons (half dipped in chocolate other half plain). Monday I gave my boss peanut butter truffles. Still have fudge to make for my dad on Christmas Eve (my tradition).

@Karen~ I still need to get Zoe her present. Yesterday marked the 3rd anniversary of her adopting me, so she gets a special present for that and then I need feathers for her stocking—yes, she has a stocking. :wink:

@Laurie~ Hope the kids aren’t too restless on your last day before Christmas break today. :smile:

AFM~Really not much to report, although I do follow-up with my surgeon tomorrow. It has just been crazy with the food around here lately—we get a lot from vendors (cookies, pies, candy, etc.) and then a friend/co-worker gave me a huge box full of baked goodies yesterday (caramel pretzels, brownies, cookies, banana bread). It’s crazy! :open_mouth: I am indulging a bit but not over-doing it. Luckily, I’m pretty good about not sampling too much of what I bake. I still need to wrap gifts!

I’m not sure if I’ll make it back here before Christmas, so wishing those that celebrate a very Merry Christmas. Safe travels to those traveling (I’m traveling tomorrow or early Christmas morning).
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy HumanLight
    HumanLight is a Humanist holiday celebrated on December 23. Like Kwanzaa, HumanLight is a modern invention, created to provide a specifically Humanist celebration near Christmas and the northern Hemisphere's winter solstice. It was established by the New Jersey Humanist Network in 2001.
    Humanists have cast HumanLight as a celebration of "a Humanist's vision of a good future." They celebrate a positive approach to the coming new year, generally through the lens of Humanist (and particularly secular humanist) philosophy—secular as opposed to religious. The December 23 date allows HumanLight to connect itself to the December holiday season without interfering with other winter holidays which many Humanists may also celebrate.
    HumanLight began with a single event in Verona, New Jersey in 2001. In 2006, there were twenty American events listed on the holiday's homepage, and the American Humanist Association became HumanLight's first national sponsor. In 2007, the first HumanLight celebration outside of the U.S. took place in Chester, England.

“Exercise should be regarded as tribute to the heart.” ~Gene Tunney

11857432.png

Tom
  • zcb94
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Wednesday Wishing: I still wish this stupid bug/allergies/whatever-it-is would JUST. GO. AWAY. already!
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    Had a few minutes to check in.
    I am a few hours away from being finished for the year. We are ending the year up 8% in sales and my sister and I agree that this year was less stressful than prior years. So all in all a good year for the business.

I have most of my shopping done and just have to go to the grocery store. Packing list is made for the weekend away.

Hubby is moving out this weekend. @skinnyjeanzbound - Yes we have talked over what he is taking. But there is absolutely nothing in the house that I cannot live without. I will deal with it when I return next week.

As much stress as I have in my life I really am doing pretty well. Taking care of myself and issues as they come up. I have learned that living in fear of "the other shoe" is no way to live. I have chosen to take each day as it comes and live with my decisions.

My Wednesday wish:
    To all of you struggling through I wish you a moment of contentment.
    To all of you not struggling through I wish you the same.

Love to all,
    Lori <3

Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough. ~ Og Mandino
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hello and Merry Christmas everyone. Life is going good here in the northwest. The food and exercise is all over the place but the family is happy and healthy so I will take it. I am all ready for the holidays and am now waiting for my daughter. We are meeting to get our nails done. The new job is going well. I only have one client so far but I am enjoying spending Sunday afternoons. He is a very active gentleman but has parkinsons. So as long as his pills are working that day we are busy busy busy :) well just wanted to pop in and say hi while I had a minute. As always I am grateful for all you wonderful people. May you all have a joyous holiday with your loved ones. MERRY CHRISTMAS
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas to all of you. My Wednesday wish is for happiness and peace for all of you.
    Things are going well here.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Wish ... a very Merry Christmas to all of you ... whether you celebrate it as a holiday or just bear with all the rest of us who do.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Hi everyone-
    Just a quick check in to say happy holidays to all who celebrate.

General Goals:
    1. finish Christmas cards DONE
    2. go to post office for stamps and to mail cards DONE
    3. finish gift shopping DONE
    4. wrap presents DONE
    5. clean fish tank
    6. clean house (this goal needs to get broken down further) STARTED

Grading Goals:
    1. 2/2 student rec letters DONE
    2. 15/15 speech outlines DONE
    3. x/40 AP essays
    4. 59/59 SL diction posts DONE
    5. x/1 colleague rec letter

Exercise Goals:
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • zcb94
    Options
    Thursday Truth: My family is so sick we can hardly think. I don't know how we're going to avoid getting Santa (or the rest of the world) violently ill this Christmas.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Wishing everyone a merry Christmas. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @beteaux - welcome , yes you'll get the support you're looking for here, and we'll answer questions alone the way too.

@bjcfinn55 - you are sure welcome here - no screening policy on our part!! Please come back.

@zoe - I was happy as well, to see you got to go out on the town with your family! But what an awful outcome the adventure seems to have had on everyone. I hope you have plenty of hand sanitizer around for all to use with all those problems....otherwise, you'll just keep spreading it around and around.
    I can't abide dark rooms. But that's a personal preference! Thank goodness for the new lightbulbs that don't use very much electricity.

@Morgori - My take on Human Light is a wee bit different - did you see the full moon tonight - actually it will be full tomorrow be definition - the moon was beautiful , surrounded as it was tonight by crisp icy air left from a snowfall given us today for the delight of the Midwest's children!

@Kah/Kelley Your "floor" story was funny! Loved it. Love hearing your annual baking lists too. So glad I am not your neighbor - or on a receiving list...80 degrees - wow!

@mountmary84 -Barb- I'm so glad your DH is home from the hospital and on a course of antibiotics. How rough for him and you. You'll burn a lot of calories cleaning the house, but ignore the corners, your guests won't care!

'@Laurie - you have amazing energy! Besides all your activities, you can bake too? I stand in awe. Oh well, your mama probably taught you well. Is it shared baking?

@Skinny - You certainly caught up on your sleep. Con Ed did you a favor for once! I love how people with pets always include them for Christmas and shop for them!! I did that too - it was so special and fun! Tell us what you end up getting for Gunner.

@GrandmaKaye - Hugs to you for keeping true to us your extended family while you have so much on your plate with your huge family at home. You have so many issues still to deal with and I wish you the best of luck in solving them. Meanwhile the true spirit of Christmas will shine over your family <3

@Mel, @JT so glad to see you, and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays for you,

@Niki - glad to see your working on follow through right up to the end, tho there is a note of sadness there. It is sad for us older folk living alone.

@CBlue -oh gosh, I feel for you, the leg surgery must be a miserable nuisance but your wise to lump one on top of the other !!! and hope for a new year with ALL this behind you. You are strong and determined - thets skip the first part of the greeting and head right to HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I had a contractor working in my house for the past 2 weeks on the weekdays and he finished yesterday. He was a nice, clean cut fellow in his mid 30's and very easy to talk to. And, my bathroom is done. It came out nicely - I was scared about the shadesof color clashing but they didn't. I learned a lesson. Never again!

I did give myself new bath rugs for the other bathroom for a Christmas present to myself. Where I shower and used to use kind of skeezy old towels - time for an upgrade. Nothing skeezy in this home anymore. Only DUST everywhere for the work he just finished!

Oh yeah - diet - well not eating very much - weighing the same now as at the beginning of the month -
    exercise - pretty limited - legs really not working very well...

but the happiness of the holidays is upon me - I'm full of love for everyone -

Take care - if you are with family - look upon the difficult ones with a gaze of forgiveness and a smile - and remain mute if irked.

Forgive me if I offend any of you with my joy in saying:

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone!

@robin-- your comment about using old towels as bath mats made me chuckle b/c I do the same and was just thinking of buying a nice, new, plush bath mat. I think I will hit the after-christmas sales and buy one. Gunner can inherit the old towel for his muddy paws. I didn't actually buy anything for gunner for christmas. He gets so much from my family and friends, there's no need for anything from me. And, of course, he probably thinks it's all from me anyways since I'm the one who actually gives him the presents. LOL

@laurie-- welcome to your break and Merry Christmas!

@zoe-- hope you and your family get well soon.

@tammy-- glad to hear you are enjoying your job so far.

@kelley-- gunner also has a stocking; however, it's packed away in the attic with all of the other decorations. :)

Thursday Truth:
    Well, it's amazing what just a few days of mindful eating and logging can do to the scale. For a couple of weeks there, I was up well into the mid-190s, but the scale has crept down a little each day for the past week, and this morning I was back in the 180s. Now to just keep things moving in that direction.

Today we went to my sister's for a low-key dinner of Lou Malnati's deep dish pizza. My absolute favorite! I also nibbled on quite a few baked goods, but I went to the gym beforehand and earned some calories so will come in just under goal for the day.

Tomorrow will be more difficult as I won't have time for the gym, but hope to make up for any overage this weekend.

General Goals:
    1. clean fish tank
    2. clean house (this goal needs to get broken down further) STARTED

Grading Goals:
    1. x/40 AP essays
    2. x/1 colleague rec letter

Exercise Goals:
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + gym NOT DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    ...so what is it about towels as bath mats for after the shower? I too do that and never until reading this thought a thing about it. Hmmmm....
    Hubby is doing much better though sort of "dopey" from the meds.
    I have managed to catch a "bug" so we postponed the family gathering to keep it from spreading. Tea and toast seems to be my preferred menu just now.
    BUT mostly, things are fine here...just a few bumps in the road.

I hope everyone has a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Well ladies - regarding the bath mats I'm enjoying walking on them so much I want to carpet my kitchen with them! And these were NOT the super plush ones I've seen. I looked for 100% cotton so I can wash them , and bought 2 matching as they get set up in a T pattern when I shower - there's carpeting I need to protect and I move around a bit. Found what I liked at Target while grocery shopping -discounted too - Nate Berkus - how can that be?

@Barb - sorry you have a bug too -

Here's a bit of advice given to me by my ENT Doctor when I had surgery. He said don't bother with a little humidifier machine. He said just buy a new bottle of SALINE NASAL SPRAY (1-1/2 oz) and spray up your nostrils 3 x a day during these really dry days of winter. You buy a new bottle every month ($1.50) to avoid contamination. And don't share. I started up about 2 weeks ago when I noticed my nasal discharge had turned dry.

Around midnight I turned on a channel and got to listen to the most beautiful local church choir sing my favorite songs. During this I got all my dusting done in the main room and the kitchen clean so I can get my potatoes done and a good attempt at re-creating a half-remembered corn casserole dish. That should add a bit of excitment. Up at 8 and at my sisters at 11. Dinner at 1 with our 2 lumps of brothers... oh yes and lumps of butter!
    Have a happy day everyone!
  • so583
    so583 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas :)
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas.
    I love bath mats! I haven't used old towels for years. LOL
    I'm so sorry that some of you are sick for the holiday. DH has quite a cough, but it is much better the last couple of days so it won't slow up the celebration. We'll have a small party today, just 11 for dinner. Our big party and gift exchange will be on Sunday, 18 then. Both are smaller than Thanksgiving. That was the big party this year.
    The cinnamon roll dough is proofing. I'll get them made in a few minutes so we can have a proper brunch later.
    I really appreciate my family. DH was always the handy man around here. It's so hard not to have him to rely on for repairs. Yesterday the driver-side windshield wiper quit working. SIL came over, found the problem and fixed it in just a few minutes. Don't know what I would do without my family. DH is starting to help with clearing the table, and he has done all of the vacuuming the last couple of weeks. That really helps.
    My weight is a nightmare right now, but I'm going to deal with it. The exercise is a start. As much as I hate to do it, I am going to start logging again in January. I know it will make a huge difference very quickly.
    Onward and downward. Kaye