Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• Dance_Nina_Bee
    Dance_Nina_Bee Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Niki (Nina). Thanks for saying all of that. This will definitely give me something to think about.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Dance_Nina - Hi and welcome. Isn't the help here terrific? Lauriek70 is an excellent teacher and is analytiical and doesn't pass on any information she has not personaly tried to make sure it works, the same for Nina.
    @NewbiesALLofYOU - welcome as well - as you can see we are a helpful and warm bunch of people.

I hope you consider picking up the March challenge.
    It is listed back a few pages, where March 1, posts are, we are

1.) recording our daily exercise (with emphasis on ankles & Legs,,
    2.) adding veggies to our day,
    3.) watching our increase in protein and
    4.) you can add any personal challenge as the
    There is no prize at the end of this, its only a tool to see how well you do.

@SundayShare : My real street name is Ellen and I am a 64y/o divorced, childless, lady living in Omaha who loves to decorate her condo. I have some phyical limitations that slow me down that I am working through. These past few days have been super busy. I've been trying to trade in my 4 cyl. 2011 Chevy Malibu for a Chevy Equinox that has a 6 cylinder engine and heated seats, AWD, or 4WD. I had a bad time getting around this past winter with my 4 cylinder car.But Seeing Nina the last month c/o her torso muscle and now she's doing a plank (albeit miserably (LOL) I was immediately impressed. She's following through AND getting results. THIS frosted me so It madem e competitive ! Soo 3 days ago now I started my exercise routine. It was after I saw a Dr. About my back, but the films showed nothing to cause my pain..so that didn't work out. Now I'm being sent to another doc to get an electrical studies done in that area of my left hip. Best scenario is that I crushed a nerve when I fell 2 years ago - well this news -0r speculation - made me have a big revelation that there was likely no ansder at all, soo I might as well do some stretching and I have done that every night!

Exercise: 3/7 Anklles, squats, also: bending to the side, back
    Protein 7/7 many eggs;
    Veggiess 27 salads, mostly, with onion and tomato
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    @robin Have you asked about electrical stimulation for you pain? I am having amazing results with the TENS. I mentioned that it was helping my knees. I now have some gloves for my hands. I've only done had them for 2 days, but I can feel a difference. I'm hopeful that I may even get to return to my needlework that I have had to abandon for the last year. Now that you have ruled out disc problems, would a chiropractor be able to help you? Mine got amazing results on my sciatica recently.
    The bathroom is almost finished. I'll pick up the paint this morning. I need to paint the wall behind the toilet before it is installed. Also still need to pick up some tile trim for around the shower walls. The floor looks great. Eventually, it will be done enough to take a picture.
    I'm really treading water on my weight. At times I feel that I am sinking! @Nina I can really relate to what you are saying. I know what to do. I've been successful in the past, but I am really having trouble finding my motivation right now.
    Wishing everyone a good week.
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • kimhayes3
    kimhayes3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm going to be one of those "long haul" people. :smile: I had gained even more since first time I was on here, but on Dec. 14 - holidays and all - I cried ENOUGH! I haven't looked back - today marks a 34 pound loss so far (tho my profile says 27 cos it kindly doesn't add what I had gained - lol). Working on those healthier habits and walked PAST the Oreos in the grocery yesterday!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Monday Check-in ...
    So, what did i say I would do this month, this past week? I'm certain that I have not performed as I had expected I would ... because the scale has been up and the swelling in my feet/legs has been problematic, and my waist was bulging ... and I know it's because I ate bread and cold cereal (even Kashi Go Lean does it to me) ... however these are my results thus far ... oh Yeah, it was a very long ambitious list ...

Nutrition Goal for March
    Calories Goal - maximum of 1611 net cals per day - 3/7,
    Carbs Goal - maximum of 161 grams per day (40%) - 2/7
    Fat Goal - maximum of 54 grams per day (30%) - 4/7
    Protein Goal - maximum of 121 grams per day (30%) - 2/7

Fitness Goal - active and participation in various challenges.
    These are the challenges I have for March.

Challenges for March - Physical
    1. RobinEgg's Ankle Strengthening - 3/7
    2. 30-Day Squat challenge begins 3/1 - 3/6
    3. Amazing Race challenge begins on 3/7 and ends on 5/2 -- started today

Personal Challenges for March -- aside from nutrition and Physical
    1 Make meal plans and prep food for easy cooking so I don't order out or carb out ... imcomplete
    2 Finish the housework and move on with spring cleaning ... incomplete
    3 Trim all the flowering shrubs before they bud out. ... not done
    4 Cut back and clear away all the naturalized weedy growth around the perimeter of the back yard ... not done
    5 Prepare the indoor seed starting location and start the seeds (vegetables and flowers) ... not done

My scale registered a 3 pound gain over last Monday and I know that I did not overeat to the extent that I would have gained that much in body tissue, and given that I am so swollen, I believe part or all of it is due to the water weight I'm carrying in my tissues, plus my average calories were below maintenance level for the week with only two days being at a true overage ... and both attributed to eating a whole loaf of artisan battard bread (6 servings) in one day and an entire 10-oz in-store baked Angel Food cake on the other day. What set off my carb cravings? ... probably no one thing, but I did cook up a batch of a grain mixture under my posh supermarket label here in town (a mixture of lentils, brown rice, barley and red quiona) that I had some every day until it was gone, and I tried using a 6Star brand of protein powder to up my protein intake ... mistake ... won't do that again. I'd rather lower my protein intake to what I had in February (77 grams) instead of using additions like that. Even though this product did not have sugar in it, it tasted sweet to me and gave me a sensation of wanting more sweet tasting things for the rest of the day.

I hope I do better this week than last ... and I should be able to since I love new beginnings and try to wash the board clean with every new start.

And, I also hope that everyone who posts on here has successes this week as well.
    Follow Through with Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • clinsky1231
    clinsky1231 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't have internet access over the weekend so I fell off the wagon a little bit.

March Challenge
    Veggies 5/7
    Exercise 4/7
    Calories 6/7
    Sodium 3/7
    No pop 3/7
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Sorry I was MIA over the weekend. Saturday I ran at the gym--completed an 8k in 53:30 which is a PB for me. Then spent the night at my friend's house after helping her move some of her things out of her dad's place. He passed away a couple of weeks ago, and this was her first time back at the house. It was rough, but our only goal was to grab some of her clothing and toiletries that she kept there. Next trip we will need to begin the long process of going through her parents' belongings, but she's not ready for that quite yet.

On Sunday we went to a pre-St. Paddy's day fest in my old neighborhood in Chicago. Met up with some of my family and friends, so that was fun.

Today, it was gorgeous weather, so I walked gunner and then ran outside--just over 2 miles. I've reached my first 100k milestone in my UA You vs Year Challenge. At this rate, it's unlikely I'll finish the full 1000k, but as long as it pushed me to do as much as possible, I'll be happy with the result.

On a sad note, I found out a couple of hours ago that my friend who's been living with breast cancer for the past 2 years is now in hospice care. I don't know if it's longer term in-home services, but I suspect it's more grave than that. When I saw her last month, she had just had treatment for a lesion on her brain, so that's clearly not good. I've cried quite a bit tonight over the unfairness of it all. The last few times we've gotten together, I have left her with the grim thought that I will lose her some day, that I will go to her funeral some day. The hospice news makes all too real.

Grading Goals:
    1. 28/41 AP essays

Fitness Goals for the month of March:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 1 5k/week
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3

Stretch legs after each run = 1/1

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 4/31
    salad or veggies 4/31

You vs Year Challenge:
    100k done/ 900k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Tues-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs-- meeting
    Fri-- walk gunner DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Sun-- rest day
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE + gym RAN OUTSIDE
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    @Skinny - sometines it seems like death is all around us. I wish I could somehow share your pain. You've had too much loss lately. Well, Karen, you seem to have shown a lot of strength as well. Just know when to seperate youself, and rest, rest...
    Congrats on doing so well on your 100K, even if you just come close, its hard to imagine! Can you tell me what distance, like running across the country or something?

@Nina - if I could give you one piece of advice it would be this, you can't rule every second of your life, I think you are trying to set too many goals, at least you can laugh about starting anew each day! :smiley:

@Grandmakaye44 -Yes, I do! I get it for about 1/2 hour 3 x a week when I'm going to PT. PT's on hold this week until the EMG study gets done, then I'm sure it will resume. The left leg pain is exactly like sciatica but its gone on for 2 years plus my leg just fails-and I fall down when it does-and I never know when that's going to happen. I will just be a good sport and get back to PT and try and get as strong as I can. I've had a left knee replacement already.

@KimHayes - welcome - hope you come back and chat often. Congratulations on your weight loss already - sounds like you hit the ground running. Lets hear a bit WOOT for Kim. WOOT WOOT!!!

AFM: Crazy day still looking at cars think I have found one will know by Thursday. Ate at Fast Foods twice today as I was running around madly making , for me, large steps into my future, financially.

MARCH CHALLENGE:
    Exercise: 4/31 Anklles, squats, also: bending to the side, back
    Protein 5/31 many eggs;
    Veggiess 2/31 salads, mostly, can I count french fries???I had them once today and I'm not counting them.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Karen ~I’m very sorry to hear about your friend entering hospice care. :cry: It’s a hard thing what your friend that just lost her dad is going through, too. I know she appreciates you being there to help her. Hooray for a new PB on your 8k, I think you’re doing great, even if you don’t make the 1000k goal for the UA challenge you are definitely challenging yourself to run more and get in some longer distances. :star:

@Robin (Ellen)~Good luck with your car search. I’ve had a lot of stressful car shopping experiences, but when I bought my Escape last year it was so easy—found a great Ford dealership and great salesman, both made the whole process virtually painless.

AFM~A bit of sad news yesterday, as a former co-worker passed away. I’m not sure of the circumstances, but know she's had a hard time and health complications in recent years. Busy week this week with PT today/Thursday, neurologist appointment and a/c repair tomorrow—hopefully my a/c guy finishes early so I can get to the gym for a bike ride (supposed to rain so can’t ride outside).

March Goals:
    Continue with PT twice/week
    Ride bike at least twice/week

March Challenge:
    PT: 2/10
    Ride bike: 1/10
    Veggies: 7/31
  • Nikion901
    Options
    @RobinsEgg ...thanks friend. You are probably right that I have put too much on my plate ... the funny, or not funny, part is that I can dream up all sorts of plans as I sit here in front of the computer screen but the follow through part is the place where I need to really work at it and too often don't ... cause I waste my time. It seems like, even after nearly 6 years after retiring from work I still cannot break the habit of sitting and researching, writing, making plans, sending communoications, et. all like I did while working 8:30 - 5:00 ... it's same-old, same-old Niki :)

Speaking of cars ... I have done some peaking at ads about them also. My little red bomb, the 2002 Acura LT may not last until I can no longer drive afterall, and I have been thinking about a small hatchback type car to replace it. My issue is that I have been spoiled by the electronic heated seats, Bose radio, sun/moon roof, and so much more this car has but I cannot afford to replace it with a car of similar calabre.

@skinnyjeanzbound, Karen I am saddened to hear of your tormoil and angst over the terrible situations your friends are currently in. My heart goes out to you and your friends.

AFM ... we are having a bit of warm weather and I need to get out and lay the pre-emergent fertilizer on the lawn so that the coming rain can melt it into the ground. There is a hilarious dance routine that is part of the Amazing Race challenge I'm in that I just have to share with you all ... it's really short, less than 1 1/2 minutes, but my heavens, does it ever make you MOVE! I needed to do it several times yesterday just to figure out the quick changes and stumbled all over myslef. Here is the link ...

and now ... since it's up, I'm gonna sign off and dance!
    Follow through with Consistent Focus
    Niki
  • luckylaw
    luckylaw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't logged for several days but I'm starting up again. I had an epidural last week for back pain then caught a cold. I did not eat right for a few days and I beat myself up over it. I am down over a pound from last week so I just need to suck it up and get back on the plan!
    Goal: log food every day
    Drink more water
    Focus on the positive and don't dwell on the negative
    Treat myself better and take care of myself
  • SHALLON1979
    SHALLON1979 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am new to your thread. I worked on MFP about a year ago then had to stop all strenuous fitness activity due to a gallbladder removal. My doctor has just recently given me the green light to get back on track so I started MFP and hitting the gym again on Feb. 23rd. I had lost 5lbs the first week but my trainer was concerned that I wasn't getting enough calories so he upped me to 1700-1900 calorie intake a day. I regained the 5lbs. I only lost the weight because my body went into starvation mode... which is the opposite end of the spectrum and can do real harm to my metabolism if I were to continue that way. So, slow and steady here we come.

Long term goal is to lose 112 lbs

March Goals

Strength training - 30 mins 3x week
    Cardio class - 60 mins 2x week
    Weekends off with just 30 min walk each day.
  • SHALLON1979
    SHALLON1979 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just weighed in for my weekly weigh in and I re-lost the 5lbs and lost and additional .3lbs, maybe my trainer was right. ok.... moving on.
  • kah68
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Niki ~I looked at Acura, BMW and Lexus when I was car shopping. I couldn't get past ownership costs and the depreciation rate, so I bought the high-end trim Ford Escape that has the exact same luxuries--heated leather seats, moon roof (really what they call a vista roof, glass roof stretches to back seat too), GPS, Bluetooth, etc. :heart: my car! :lol:

I just weighed in for my weekly weigh in and I re-lost the 5lbs and lost and additional .3lbs, maybe my trainer was right. ok.... moving on.

First, welcome to the thread! Yes, your trainer was right. As crazy as it sounds, you need to eat to lose weight--esp if you are working out a lot and based on your goals you are. Try to think of food as fuel, need it for those workouts and you need to build muscle. Sometimes when we make changes like that it takes a couple of weeks for our bodies to adjust. Keep on doing what you're doing and you'll see results.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Okay now I am frustrated with myself. I got home from zumba, took a shower and headed to the store for big grocery shopping and forgot to put my fitbit on. Goodness only knows how many steps didnt get recorded. With that being said I have crazy extra calories I will never use all of from zumba but I sure would have liked to see how high I could have gotten my step count. Got lots of good healthy choices at the store that will hopefully help keep me out of hubbys junk food. I have come up with a name for my dog walking enterprise, Happy Paws, and am now in the process of making up flyers to hand out around my neighborhood to start.

@karen sorry there seems to be so much sadness in your life right now. It seems to go like that at times. Remember we are all here for you and want only the best.
    @lauri as always your activity levels leave me mind boggled and inspired
    @robin hope the pt is going well and good for you getting back to your stretches.
    @Nicki good luck with the car shopping. I hate car shopping. My husband is an impulse buyer with all things big and small so that can cause arguments and problems :(
    Speaking of big purchases my hubby and I bit the bullet and decided to replace the living room furniture. We had hoped to wait one more year but narrowed down that part of hubbys back pain was being caused by the sectional. So we went and I actually got him to spend a day looking before we settled on a couple recliners and a small couch. That will fully max out or available space but it will be good for him to have somewhere to relax during the rare times he takes some time off. Well I guess the groceries arent going to put themselves away. Have a great day all :):)
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Yet again, I lost battle "Eat the soup you packed for lunch", but that's OK, because I didn't otherwise go off plan.

Actually, I realized at lunch that I've eaten less than 1400 calories every day but one for a month, but I haven't been truly hungry in all that time. Bored-hungry, yes, but never really felt deprived. That's never been the case on any diet I've ever tried. I always gave up after about 3 weeks because I couldn't stand going without bread, or because I'd eat such miniscule portions of "regular" food that I was absolutely ravenous. It feels more like a sustainable choice as opposed to a purely corrective one.
  • kah68
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @badnoodle~ I’d say you definitely aren’t a soup person. :wink: I sure am, especially black bean soup—I make it often (even in the summer)! :lol: Losing weight and having stick-to-itiveness is all about finding what works for you. Skipping bread works for some people, but not everyone—honestly unless you have a gluten allergy or other health condition in which you need to avoid gluten, you need the nutrients provided in whole grain/whole wheat bread. I eat bread every day—its flourless, but I have one serving (one slice) a day. Eating a diet low in calories is a recipe for disaster, too. It’s about finding your comfort zone, that special combination of healthy foods that fall into a healthy caloric range. 1.400 calories/day sounds healthy, if you can stick with that--you're on the right track.

@Tammy~ Yay for new furniture, redecorating is so much fun. :wink:

AFM~Not much to report. Leaving work in a couple of hours for a neurologist appointment then to meet a/c repair guy—I think a/c season will be early this year. We’re having thunderstorms here, a lot of flooding and 3 F1 tornadoes in the area the last two days--and its not even Spring yet! :astonished: Hopefully a/c repair won’t take long and I can get to the gym to ride the bike this afternoon.

Have a great day!
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Wednesday wish ... for everyone to read this post from a MFP member who lost over 130 pounds and what her 'words of wisdom are' ...
    AngelinaB_ wrote: »
    "My advice to you is to start living like the person you want to be and let the rest fall into place.

In other words, don't do anything to lose weight that you don't want to do forever. I'm not here to cast judgment on low carb, low fat, Paleo, etc - fine. If it works for you, that's fantastic.

But you don't need to go on a macronutrient-banning fad diet in order to lose weight. I'm living proof. The way I ate and exercised was so sustainable that I wasn't excited to "go off my diet" once I reached goal weight. There was nothing to go off of, and the weight loss phase was not miserable. I ate plenty, moved the right amount, and felt so amazing I didn't want to go back to my old ways. All I did was eat a little more to erase my deficit.

And that's it. The transition to maintenance was seamless. And frankly, I found it pretty easy.

It's okay to like food.

I see it here a lot. The idea that only weak people need a "cheat" day and that food is fuel and nothing more and that we need to break our emotional connection to it in order to lose weight."

THAT and love yourself at any size. Excellent read, the best I have found in MFP so far. And well explained why this is it. I have to say it does click in different people differently, and that is ok, figuring out by yourself , not Oprah, not weight watchers, nobody, but yourself, what works sustainable for the rest of your life.

Thanks Shannon. You still around?

Niki
  • Nikion901
    edited March 2016
    Options
    AFM ... @RobinsEgg ... and everyone doing the ankle/leg challenge this month, an interesting read came into my mailbox today from OrthoFeet, the makers of Ortho shoes for men and women ... it fits right in with the activity.

Boost Your Flexibility -
    Your calf muscles may tighetn as you get older, put more stress on the balls of your feet.
    Stretching your calves on a regular basis can go a long way toward preventing toot pain.
    A good stretch to try 1-3 times a day:
    . Stand with your toes on a step and your heels off the edge
    . Slowly lower you heels down and hold for 10 seconds before lifting your heels o the starting posiiton.
    . Repeat 5-10 times.
    . Don't force your heel farther than it wants to go. If the movement is too much for both feet at once, do one foot at a time.

This is exactly the movements one of my many in-the-past physical therapy sessions had me doing, and it was for PT specifically because of my on my knees, so this one will in it's own way help with them as well as your ankles.
    Niki
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    @Nikion901 I read an article yesterday that had me thinking about this too. Only the one I read was from someone who was advocating his somewhat research-based point that shoes are bad for little kids. His argument was that children's brains need to receive the nerve messages from their feet to learn how to move about in space, how to balance on an uneven surface, and generally learn how to process where they are in a three dimensional world. If they are wearing shoes that keep their feet from getting that information, they don't learn everything they could about balance and movement. As I was reading, I was picturing trying to do some of the standing on one leg yoga poses where each individual toe is wiggling and testing to find the balance point. I think his argument may hold some merit. Of course, I am also one of those people who is barefooted whenever the weather and social constraints allow, and sometimes even if they don't.