Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Sunday sharing:

I've had 3 babies in 4 years. October 4, 2013, October 5, 2014, and May 10, 2016. I gained the majority of my weight (100lbs) with the middle child as I was on bed rest and didn't watch what I ate.

So far, since a week after having the last, I'm .6 pounds away from hitting the 50lb loss mark!

I'm more immediately going for another 50, but long term is like to lose another 100. I've never been that thin, so I'm not bent on losing the full 100, but at least 50, and I'll keep going until I feel comfortable!
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Happy Sunday everyone!!! I've had company so I've been a bit busy to read everyone posts until now.

@Nikion901 Thanks for the measurement information. As for food related to health issues...I doubt my doctor will take that kind of time to review my food intake. I've had migraines and depression since my 20's. I didn't need daily medication for my depression until I was 40 and going through a divorce. I went off for a while (on my own) but had a bad year, when I was 47, and quickly spiraled down into a deep depression again. I've been back on medication since. I've been through therapy but only need to see my psychiatrist twice a year for my scripts now. I didn't need daily medication for my migraines either until my 40's. I started getting them every week or more and my only relief was to lay in a dark room for 3 days and sleep. Then they started to become complicated migraines, I had right sided facial drooping. I then saw a neurologist who put me on a daily preventative medicine and a routine to follow when I get one. My FM/CFS was diagnosed a few years ago (age 54) after complaining of symptoms for a while but having test after test to be ruled out for other things. They didn't add any medication once I was diagnosed with FM because between my anti-depressant and migraine meds, it should do double duty. I don't take any prescription pain pills. I can only take arthritis strength Tylenol when I need it. I've been through numerous sleep and day studies for my sleep apnea and CFS. They wanted to be sure I didn't have Narcolepsy. Not only do I stop breathing during the night but my oxygen level goes to a dangerous level. Although I don't have Narcolepsy, they did diagnose me with extreme Excessive Daytime Sleepiness (EDS). So I'm on medicine to keep me awake. I do feel slightly better since trying to balance my macros and getting in more protein. (My doctor had a feeling I wasn't getting enough protein and was right) I'm hoping by losing weight, I'll start feeling better. I'll discuss my eating and food choices with my doctor at my next visit. Thanks for your concern and your advice! I really appreciate it!!

@wadwrich Here's a website that will give you step by step guideline on gardening...

http://www.growinganything.com/starting-a-garden.html

@skinnyjeanzbound I waited too long for my shoulder too (not my choice). It was a work related injury and I was given a hard time about claiming workmanship comp. My Lhasa Apso doesn't like thunderstorms either. I've been thinking of getting one of those thunder jackets or thunder coats. They snug the dog and is supposed to calm them. Thought you might be interested for Gunner. Gelato...I've never had it. If it's sweet and good, it's best I never try it! I don't need new temptations in my life!!! LOL

@cjbrummet I hope you can stick to your goal of not weighing yourself so often! I used to do that and it really messed with my head!! All my focus was on losing weight. It needed to be on eating healthy. For me, I think that's why I yo-yo dieted for so long. I didn't know how to really eat. This time it's different for me. I don't really care about the scale. Although I feel sorry for the scale when I do step on it!! I know what you mean about housework. I hate it too but I like a clean house. Terrible predicament to be in!! I used to say I wished I was like Bewitched, so I could just wiggle my nose and have it clean! I guess that shows my age! LOL Your Mary Poppins is MUCH better....timeless! You have WAY more self control with French fries than I do! It's one of my weaknesses. I'm lucky I don't live near many fast food restaurants. And last...but DEFINITELY not least, my heart goes out to your city for what has been going on. I can't even imagine how everyone in the city must feel. It is all so very sad.

@EllyTheDreamer WELCOME!!! I've been in your shoes and don't feel ashamed you had your priorities elsewhere for a while. Life happens! You're back now and that's all that matters!!! Here's to a NEW YOU!!!

@MrsFlint2013 It's ok to splurge once in a while as long as you come back! I'm glad you enjoyed the donuts! If your going to splurge, make sure it's something you really like! If not, it's leaning towards a binge.

@kah68 I've been glued to the TV too and I don't live in Dallas! It's just such a terrible thing! My heart goes out to the city but specially to the family and friends of the police officers that were killed. So sad.

@moodybear2003 I'm one of those people you hate. LOL I can take 'em or leave 'em. (Cheetos)

@MeLanceUppercut Start exercising slowly. Walking is good. You don't need to exercise to lose weight. Yes, you lose faster. Yes, it's good for you. But if for some reason you can't, as long as you're sticking to the calorie limit, you will lose weight. It's a matter of calories in vs calories out and our bodies burn calories even at rest.

@trinati2001 It's SO easy to do mindless eating like you did with the peanuts! You're talking, maybe drinking and before you know it, they're gone! You don't even remember eating all of them!! I've been there!! When I first started using a computer, I would take a bag of chips or something and do the same thing! Totally shocked when realization hits that they're gone!! I never eat out of a bag or basket or any multiple serving item. It's all single portioned. Or...I know I'll eat it!! I was "programmed" when I was young to "finish" my plate. So I have to be very careful how much I PUT on my plate!!! That is TERRIBLE about your contractor!!! How can he go over budget without your permission??? Geez!! And over budget he went!! That's hugely over budget!!! What if you don't have it??? He can't just assume people can come up with that kind of money!!! He probably a private contractor too...not working for a company? I'd be making phone calls. If there's no company, lawyers. As for your in-laws...don't you get discouraged!!! You are doing GREAT!!! 10 lbs a month is GREAT!!! Losing too fast, like your FIL, is not good. The skin tends to sag, it's easier to gain back and most people reach a point where they stop losing like that. You need to focus on the fact that YOU are changing your lifestyle forever. Your focus needs to be on healthy eating and portion control, not the scale, not the weight. If you follow MFP you WILL lose weight...you KNOW that. You need to BELIEVE in yourself! You are doing this the RIGHT way! You are a beautiful person INSIDE and OUT!! Don't let your "shell" get in the way of your confidence. That "shell" will soon be what you want but inside you're still you!! So, what if you're heavier than the rest for a while?? They know you're losing weight. Who does it bother? You? Why? Is this a race? Be PROUD of yourself! Be PROUD of EVERY ounce you lose because that's one more step to be where you want to be!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

@mzfrizz15 Glad your hip is healing! The work you're doing on the bike is awesome!!! Good for you!!!

Thursday...truth...I cancelled my last doctors appointment and haven't rescheduled yet. I want to show her a weight loss. It may seem silly to some but I just HATE stepping on the doctors scale. I mean, I seriously get anxiety over it. My blood pressure rises. I've discussed this and the reasons for this with my doctor and I have permission not to get weighed at every visit but this visit will be my annual exam and I'll have to have my weight checked. Ok...got THAT off my chest!
    Friday...fitness...I did more housework (housework = exercise = fitness) on Friday than I usually do. Having company does that to me! Of course I needed to take extra medicine to do it but I did it! It feels good to have it all done because now I don't have the energy to do anything else.
    Saturday...success...I love wine. I love to have a glass (or 2) at night to help me relax. Up until this week, I've been planning it in my days, which I know is fine but I told myself I was going to go a week without it. And I've done that!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sunday Share ... I made one of my favorite soups today, a really big pot of it! This is a soup my mom used to make for us but I'm certain my version is no match for hers. My mom wasn't a fancy cook, she made plain foods that tasted good enough that most people went for a small seconds, but her soups were legendary amongst all our family and friends. Todays soup used a whole rack of spareribs (3 pounds) and a 2-pound bag of barrel cured sauerkraut ... I really had a taste for that German dish my mother-in-law taught me how to make for my husband back over 50 years ago, but I didn't want to make dumplings and knew I'd overeat on that particular dish if I made it ... thus my mom's soup was born anew in my kitchen today. And this is one I won't mind eating until the full 6 quarts of it is all gone!

My leg was becoming numb as I stood at the stove and counter and I found myself doing exercises while I waited for things to cook so that the circulation would flow in my legs and feet. It's really awful how I'm not aware my legs have gone numb until I try to take a step and then it feels like I don't have a leg to stand on. Didn't want to take a tumble and fall with hot stuff on the stove top.
  • atitagain1958
    Options
    @pinkstarberry Thank you for the Lentil Soup recipe! I love lentil soup and was going to look one up. Getting one recommended is way better! I put it in my online cookbook and will be definitely making it!
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hello again... I'm not regular on here yet but I'm trying.

I figured I would do Saturday and Sunday.

Saturday - Success (what have you accomplished; focus on the positive of the week, NSV=non scale victories):
    I made it to the gym once! I almost didn't make it but I went and also got over 10k steps! I also went out to eat twice and made healthy choices even though I did not log the food.

Sunday - Sharing (tell us a little about yourself....update your personal life):
    This is about my personal life but also about this journey too:
    Today I went to Dressbarn (for those who don't know, it's a women's store that has misses and plus size clothes that are beautiful and fashionable IMO; a lot of dress clothes like dresses/skirts/professional clothes)
    and tried on a bunch of clothes for an upcoming 3 day convention in sign language. I needed some dress clothes and I was nervous and waited until the last minute-only 3 days until I leave. Since I gained about 13 lbs and clothes are fitting a little tighter, I was scared I would have to move up a dress size, which would be 18. To my delight, I was still able to get in 16's! (at this store anyway..) I may wear some shape wear to even things out where my stomach is but I'm really happy. This is why I lift and it's paid off. So, for the next 4 days, I'm going to be super strict and focus on protein, keep my carbs lower and get my workouts in so that the dresses will fit a wee bit more comfortably for the weekend. I'm definitely not starving myself but just cutting way back and keeping it simple. I don't even know if I can do it, I've never been good at eating low cal.. I'm hungry right now... not stopping on the way home after work or eating at home will be a huge challenge... really, if I get something small I'll still be fine... 2 hours of work left though.. the feeling will go away.

Sorry to ramble there BUT I'm happy that I don't feel so bad; that I can see the clothes fit and that even though they're a little tight and I don't like how it looks on my stomach, I can still appreciate that I haven't lost too much progress and that it still looks nice. I guess this is a NSV in many ways. I haven't actually gone shopping for new clothes in.. maybe over a year, I can't actually recall. I've been struggling financially and I moved back home with my parents to get on my feet again and they've been helping me a lot. My mom gave me money to buy the outfits and I had a few coupons too. I guess that's the "personal life" part. I think this move is taking a lot of stress off of me and hoping I can make more progress with the journey even though I haven't been regular with my eating or workout habits... still adjusting.

To Be Continued.....
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Sorry you didn't hit your goals! BUT sounds like you still were successful in other areas, so that's good! Keep trying!
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    AFM (as for me) - Tuesday Goals ...
    all along the lines of being more active in the rest of the week.

1. NO computer in the morning, shut it down and leave it off until lunch time
    2. Cut the grass front and back
    3. Weed Wack/trim all the edges in the front and back
    4. Park far instead of near the store entrance
    5. Walk all the aisles of the grocery store instead of just the perimeter
    6. Take a short walk after supper

Hmmm .... so far not one of these goals has been fullfilled. Guess my Saturday Success is that I got up every morning, slept in bed every night, and cooked all my own meals. It's also a milestone of logging my food for the past 260 days.

PS ... logging without missing a day, I mean.

• Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    It has been a good week here so far while on vacation. The best is I am not eating my way throughout TX as I had originally feared. I am still exercising so have been running and swimming in the heat. I prefer cold water swimming and running to that of the heat. It is easier to push yourself when it is colder, when the pool feels like 86+ degrees It is too for a good workout in the pool and all I want to do is play. Today was relaxing with my friends so no sight seeing just church, games and a movie tonight.

I will respond more when I return home in another week. Time is going by too quickly.
  • magg1107
    magg1107 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So just restarting. Looking for community and friends. Just started Zombie 5k app hopefully that will keep me moving and working on eating healthier. This is not a diet but a lifestyle change. I have been getting knee pain so need to loose weight or in a few years may need a knee replacement. I'm only 33. So my first goal is manageable. I'm starting with 10 (overall I want to loose 100+) but for now 10 seems realistic. So I look forward to this journey.
  • MeLanceUppercut
    MeLanceUppercut Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Monday Check In -

I didn't get on too much over the weekend. Mostly to just log. My internet is the worst! But I'm glad to be back on today. As far as a check in, I haven't done my weekly weigh in, but I feel pretty confident I'm going to see SOME results. Maybe a half pound, a whole if I'm lucky. But this is only 3 weeks for me. So slow and steady is A- OK!
  • pinkstarberry
    pinkstarberry Posts: 79 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @atitagain1958 I also have a lot of anxiety about weighing in at the doctor's and my weight gain (and the dread of weighing in higher because of it) has kept me from going in as regularly as I should but I plan to make an appointment in Sept and stick to it no matter what!

I also hope you enjoy the soup! My mom told me that it freezes well too, so I think next time I might freeze half the batch since it does make a large pot.

Monday check-in:

Aside from the past couple days, my weight loss stalled pretty much completely over the past week, so I was really happy to finally see some loss this morning. I did a little bit of exercise yesterday but also got a lot of rest throughout the day and also went to bed early, so maybe that helped. It's harder to get extra rest like that during the week so I try to rest a lot during the weekends, at least right now while I'm trying to build up more strength and stamina. I can't wait til I have more energy and can look forward to being active every single day without getting tired so easily. If I could I would exercise all day long haha... my body just can't keep up yet.

I hope everyone had a great weekend! :)
  • EllyTheDreamer
    EllyTheDreamer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    "Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)"

This weekend I endulged myself in iceream with chocolate chips, blueberries and bananas. Even though I'm salivating as I write this, I won't touch icecream for a month at least.
    Also today is no fun at all, period came along and cramps are making me miserable. Gonna be preety much useless for the next two days...
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Went on vacation, gained 2 pounds. I really did not try to diet on vacation, but I did not over eat either. And, it could be change of clothes.

Back on the plan, and time to really make some changes in exercise. Maybe that will cheer me up too.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    @MrsFarrow You can do it! Just remember it is a marathon and not a race. :)

@atitagain1958 I totally understand the anxiety before a doctor's appointment! I do not enjoy being scolded for my weight, which has happened to me almost every time I've been to the doctor since I've been an adult! Fortunately, my endo (I have a thyroid that doesn't work as well as it should) isn't that way. She's just happy to see that I make progress between each appointment. My mother and I also have fibromyalgia. To be blunt, it suuuuuuucks on bad days.

@magg1107 Welcome, welcome! I also started MFP to lose weight to help my knees feel better! It has definitely helped! How do you like the Zombie 5k app?

@pinkstarberry Your endurance will build up, just keep at it! I've gotten to the point where I get VERY cranky if I have to take a rest day. I'm kind of addicted to the endorphin fix a workout gives! LOL :)

"Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)"

Today, I'm doing pretty good. I tried walking this morning for my workout. I was able to do it, but I was most definitely sore afterwards. I guess it's back to the bike for the rest of the week! I am very determined to cook more and eat way less junk food. My mom and sister (both type 2 diabetics) have gone from needing pills and basal insulin at night to needing insulin at meal times, too. This situation is a nightmare for me. I DO NOT want that to be my future if I can help it! I can't help but feel like part of this is my fault, as I got less enthusiastic about cooking while I was hurt/healing and didn't put up a fight when they wanted to bring in takeout for our meals. I know that doesn't make sense, as they are fully capable of making their own choices, but still...
  • moodybear2003
    moodybear2003 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else use wooftrax when they walk? I just downloaded it, it donates to shelters when you walk with it activated. Motivated to walk today after work
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Monday Check-in ... lost 1 pound this past week. Still a couple pounds over my lowerst for the year, which was back in January. I swear, I really need to become more active. I promised the doctor I would join the YMCA gym and use the recumbent bike and pool but I haven't gone to join yet and it's been 3 weeks since I made that promise.

I really want to become more active and get 'my act' together at home before I put another item on my to-do list for activity. However, since I did join a 12-week challenge, I am really being very careful with not only the calories of my food, but what kind of food I'm eating. This means I'm staying away from the calorie - dense foods I love like candy bars, cookies, pies, chips, crackers, even bread. I'm not giving them up or putting them on the 'no' list ... as I don't keep such a list ... I'm just trying to get a handle on getting the best nutrition into my system that I can for the calories I am allowing myself.

I still have my whole grains every day, either in the form of my whole-grain porridges or whole wheat wraps ... it's funny that I can eat a 170 calorie whole wheat wrap and not have cravings but when I eat a 140 calorie yeasted bread the cravings for more, more, more set in. Plus, I make certain to have a large variety of the fruits and vegetables I consume so that I don't stick with the same ones all the time. I'm actually having a real hard time keeping celery in the house right now, when it used to go bad on me before I used it up. I've discovered that a saute of propery sliced carrot, celery, and onion make the best base for any stir fry or omolet, or even as a veggie hash with some mushrooms thrown in.
  • atitagain1958
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone!!! Monday...check in...I lost 3 pounds!!! Woo Hoo!!!

@WhovianFitNHealthy First of all, I applaud your endeavor with sign language. As a person who has a granddaughter and nephew with special needs, I understand how important and much needed people like you are. And how exciting to go into a store and get into smaller clothes than you expected!! You deserve to be very proud of your efforts!! Keep up the good work and your effort will continue to pay off!

@Lauriek70 What a great job you're doing controlling your eating and exercising while on vacation!!! Kudos!!!

@magg1107 I love that you said "this is not a diet this is a lifestyle change". If you can concentrate on healthy eating and not so much on the scale, you will do fine. And making small goals was an excellent idea! You are definitely doing things right!!!

@MeLanceUppercut Great attitude!! Remember, any loss is a victory!!!

@pinkstarberry Congrats on making your doctors appointment! After losing 3 pounds this past week, I told myself to call and make mine. I didn't. So now I keep telling myself tomorrow. I know I just need to do it. I feel so stupid. I'm down about 10 pounds so I think she'll be happy. It's me...it's all me. It's good to know that soup freezes well, thanks!!

@EllyTheDreamer TOM sucks...I am SOOO glad I don't have to worry about that anymore!!! That's probably why you ate all the ice cream!!! I had terrible cravings right before I got mine!!!

@mickey2942 Gaining 2 pounds over vacation isn't bad at all!! You should be VERY proud of yourself!! Just think of the weight you WOULD have gained if you didn't watch what you were eating!! That 2 pounds will come off quickly. Part of it could be water weight too. Just get back on track and make sure you drink your water and those 2 pounds will be gone in no time!!!

@mzfrizz15 I think it's just terrible doctors feel the need to scold us over our weight. It's one thing if they have a patient that totally ignores them, doesn't care and doesn't even try but for those of us who do or have this anxiety over the scale, it doesn't help!! I really thought I was the only one who felt this way. It's both a good and bad feeling others go through this too. Know what I mean? Sorry to hear you have FM too. You're right, it sucks! Between that and some of my other health problems, I never feel "good". I have many regrets but right now, I'm concentrating on trying to become the healthiest I can and when I do, I will definitely not take it for granted!

@moodybear2003 That is SO cool that app donates to shelters!!! I don't walk much but I will definitely check into it!! I'll also tell my daughter about it! Thanks!!

@Nikion901 I love adding celery when I cook but I've never been one to eat it raw either. I can't say I love it but with hummus or almond butter, it's not too bad!! I guess I just can't eat it plain. Do you eat it raw? If so, do you use a dip or anything?
  • Nikion901
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @Nikion901 I love adding celery when I cook but I've never been one to eat it raw either. I can't say I love it but with hummus or almond butter, it's not too bad!! I guess I just can't eat it plain. Do you eat it raw? If so, do you use a dip or anything?

Thanks for asking. I eat it raw and cooked. When I eat it raw I usually just cut it up into strips and sprinkle a pinch of salt over them ... the salt sticks when the celery is wet. I also eat it raw as part of my salads. Very occasionally I will fill the hollow of a stalk with something ... peanut butter, egg salad and tuna salad are my main stuffers. I'd do hummus if that weren't a trigger food for me. When I cook it, it's very lightly saute'd so that it is a'dent, same goes for my carrot slices (almost window pane thin on both of those). Otherwise it's part of my veggie base for soups, stews and stir fries.

AFY ... good going on losing 3 pounds this week. That's a lot of weight!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Sorry I've been so MIA, busy weekend at a concert and visiting with a friend from out of town. I will catch up with everyone more thoroughly tomorrow. :smile:
  • magg1107
    magg1107 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So kinda had a me day Monday. Got a pedi and my hair done. So when I wake up today before work going to get my exercise in and head to work. Doing the zombie couch to 5k. So today is just a fast walk day and then tomorrow walk/run day. Cooked up some chicken. Just have to make some rice
  • EllyTheDreamer
    EllyTheDreamer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Saturday success - Although I haven't lost as much as I'd hoped this week, I'm still proud of myself for walking so many mornings in a row and eating clean all week. Some of it is already starting to become habit, which I'm really grateful for!
    Replacing old bad habits for new healthy ones, that's exactly how it's done, awesome!

Friday...fitness...I did more housework (housework = exercise = fitness) on Friday than I usually do...
    Makes me happy that you think housework as exercise. People underestimate it's power, so many squats are done by just cleaning the dust off every single surface!

As far as a check in, I haven't done my weekly weigh in, but I feel pretty confident I'm going to see SOME results. Maybe a half pound, a whole if I'm lucky. But this is only 3 weeks for me. So slow and steady is A- OK!
    Absolutely, baby steps, baby steps! 파이팅! (Fighting!)

mzfrizz15 wrote: »
    I am very determined to cook more and eat way less junk food. My mom and sister (both type 2 diabetics) have gone from needing pills and basal insulin at night to needing insulin at meal times, too. This situation is a nightmare for me. I DO NOT want that to be my future if I can help it! I can't help but feel like part of this is my fault, as I got less enthusiastic about cooking while I was hurt/healing and didn't put up a fight when they wanted to bring in takeout for our meals. I know that doesn't make sense, as they are fully capable of making their own choices, but still...
    They are your family, so it's natural to feel responsible. And in a way you are. Who will take care of them if not their own family member? But it's also hard to be that nagging one who wants them to take better care of themselves and sometimes people need to be let go so they can come to that conclusion themselves. And I hope they do.
    I can feel your worry, I have the same for my father. I really fear for his life at this point. After all the warnings I gave him and begging, I've come to a decision to take his health into my own hands, since he's too lazy to do that himself. I won't let him destroy himself. He will resist, but it will be for his own good. Sometimes people are just too stubborn with their bad habits and don't want to change. All I want is for him is to live.

magg1107 wrote: »
    So kinda had a me day Monday. Got a pedi and my hair done.
    Feels good to do that sometimes. I hope you enjoyed it. ^^