Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Anyone want a laugh? Check out my post on dieting and feeling mean. Gosh, all this healthy eating and exercise makes me want to punch someone. I haven't gotten to that "runners high".
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    My wish this week is that I could figure out what to do with all this dang zucchini. It's ridiculous how much squash two plants can produce.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    @badnoodle - Zucchini bread, zucchini pasta (get a veggeti maker), baked or roasted zucchini, use it in salads, soups, sandwiches. Make stir-fry. Give to friends. Freeze it. Can it, pickle it. Especially the freeze, can or pickle, you will be glad you did come winter.

AFM, I have not been doing well, DH is driving me batty. I love him to death and I know he's ill and can't care for himself in all things (tho I wish he would try to do more for himself) but I get so tired of being ON all the time, and his needs always coming before mine. Being a caregiver is so tiring, and so unappreciated. He says he appreciates what I do but he can't understand why I get cranky at 3:30 am when I've been up since 1 pm taking care of him and still trying to go to work at least part of the day. I start doing for him as soon as I get up and I'm always late for work, I'm so far behind on advanced sick leave and advanced annual leave that it will take years to get back to -0-; then as soon as I get home at 1 am I'm cooking dinner and doing stuff for him. If I'm lucky it's 4 am before I get to bed. I get so stressed out but if I react to him when he's rude or cranky, all it does is get me more grief or get him hyped up, then I have to deal with him until I can get him calmed down again. Medicare and the VA will only authorize a total of 8 hours home health per week and we don't qualify for state aid, so I'm doing everything myself. He doesn't want someone there all day so he won't consider Hospice yet (we only have 650 sq feet, so the caregiver has no option but to be sitting with him, and he doesn't like someone hovering over him - unless it's me, then I'm not allowed to step more than 10 feet from him!). Our son comes on Tuesdays for a few hours, but that's not much help for me because DH has him working around the house, not caring for him.

Sorry to vent, but right now I just feel like crying. I eat when I'm bored or upset, so I've gained back 12 lbs, and I'm not getting the exercise I need either. I'm depressed and angry.

Tracy
    TX
  • jlolsen516
    jlolsen516 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @GOINSTD12 big hugs!!! I am so sorry you are going though this terrible time! I remember being my Mom's caregiver before I could not do it anymore and had to put her in a nursing home. She did not agree with me, but I was losing my mind. I know it is different for it to be your husband, but I am here if you want to talk!

Well I didn't get to my walk today, but I did do hours of heavy cleaning so I count that as exercise too! I am feeling good about today!
  • cjbrummet
    cjbrummet Posts: 66 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @GOINSTD12 Hang in there and make some time for yourself. As a nurse I know that I would not be able to take care of a family member full time and still go to work, so kudos to you for doing it as best you can. There is no easy solution so don't let anyone tell you that you should do this or that, or that they know better. Don't feel guilty if you end up having to put him in a nursing home.

@mzfrizz15 My grown children are playing this game. Even at work several of the younger nurses are talking pokemon after giving report. Apparently they caught a rare one right here in the hospital...lol I just feel old.

@badnoodle they say you burn the same number calories if you walk a mile at a brisk pace as you do if you run a mile the only difference is that you are done faster if you run.

Wednesday wish
    I wish I could magically have the energy to do everything that I want to do. After working Tuesday night I encouraged (forced) myself to go work out. I dealt with a few thing around the house, then finally went to bed a little after noon. I ended up sleeping until around 2 am. I woke up for about an hour in the middle but couldn't stay awake. I think I am getting to old for working night shift. I might need to start looking for a day shift job.

Thursday truth
    I had some of my son's birthday cake yesterday. We celebrated his birthday and he wanted "drunk nachos" which is tortilla chips smothered with pulled pork, bbq sauce and melted cheese sauce. I only ate the pulled pork with sauce, but I couldn't resist a piece of the cake afterwards. I did say no to the ice cream though (for full disclosure, it wasn't blue bell homemade vanilla and I figured it wasn't worth the cheat. If it had been blue bell it would have been a different story....lol)
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    @GOINSTD12 I'm sorry things are so rough for you! That has to be maddening! It's really hard to be a caregiver when you get very little to no time to recharge your batteries! :(

@cjbrummet You're stronger willed than I am! I'm a hopeless sucker for all things barbecue and also nachos.

Thursday - Truth (got anything you need to fess up to or get off your chest?)
    Right now, it feels like life is stuck in a holding pattern. It's not awful, but it's not something I'd call fun, either. I know all I can do is what I know is helpful and get on with it. But man, this waiting sucks, LOL.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @mzfrizz15 -- I know what you mean about sweets. If I'm going to have them, I try to wait until late in the day.

@cj-- So sorry to hear about your cousin. Regarding your son's bday celebration, I think you made a great choice just eating the pork with some sauce, and eating the cake was a good call as well. There's no point in denying yourself a treat on a special occasion. As long as your day to day nutrition is solid, those moments won't make a difference. :smile:

@jl-- cleaning is definitely hard work. I love those productive calorie burn!! I loved your description of your hunger--I've never had that image, but I probably will from now on. LOL

@tracy (goins)-- I'm so sorry about your predicament, and I can't imagine being in your shoes. As much as it may upset your DH, you may need to make some choices he won't like for your own sake. Whatever you decide to do, I agree with cj, you shouldn't feel guilty about it.

@badnoodel-- Yum, I love zucchini! I love mine roasted or grilled, but tracy had some other great suggestions for your surplus.

@kelley-- thanks, I thought about calories perhaps being too low, but I've never GAINED weight from that problem. Usually, I just stall out and the scale won't budge if I'm not getting enough fuel. I ate about 1200 net the past two days and the scale has already come down a couple of pounds. Today will be my last reset day, then tomorrow I'll go back up to 1400 net continuing with the higher protein. Time will tell.

@niki-- hope you got that AC unit installed.

@trinati-- sorry to hear about your contractor woes. My DH and I have pondered putting an addition on our house, but stories like yours have led us to the determination that it would just be easier to move into a bigger house.

AFM-- Yesterday was a busy day of yard work. I mowed the back yard and the cleared all the grass by the fence. I do this by hand b/c I have no idea how to use the string trimmer. LOL I also did some weeding-- our yard is infested with clover. I know it's good for the bees and pollination, but it gives Gunner itchy eyes that he rubs until they bleed, so I have to try to keep it scaled back.

Wednesday Wish:
    Tomorrow we are going to the lake house my sister rents in MI. My parents and other sister and her family are also coming on Saturday. What my parents don't know is that we've invited some other family to join us Saturday for a surprise 50th anniversary party. My wish is that all goes as planned and they are truly surprised. :)

General Goals:
    1. Edge flowerbeds
    2. Make doctor appointments
    3. Take winter coat to cleaners

Fitness Goals for the month of July:
    Visit gym or run outside minimum of 12 times 4/12
    Run at least 6/30 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    211 k done/ 789 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE + work out DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + work out (yard work) DONE
    Thurs-- walk gunner + work out
    Fri-- walk gunner before leaving for lake house
    Sat-- at lake house
  • badnoodle
    Options
    @GOINSTD12 I did make a batch of really yummy cranberry walnut zucchini muffins with flax seed on Sunday. But I made them mostly for my partner, so I didn't stint on the sugar, the oil, or the walnuts. I may try again with the applesauce trick and/or Splenda, because I can't quite justify spending 200 calories on a three bite muffin.

My truth for this week is that I always swap out the kale in our farm share box for extra beets and never tell my partner. He loves the foul stuff, and I loathe it. I love roasted beets, he's apathetic. So in the spirit of "compromise", and because I do 99% of the cooking...no kale.
  • dawnkimber3
    dawnkimber3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for awhile but I can't seem to get started. I need all the motivation and support that I can get. I really want to succeed!
  • EllyTheDreamer
    EllyTheDreamer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    That feeling when your parents cook a meal for you and you feel bad about rejecting it (since you're on a strict diet) because it's been a while since they have done it for you and they just want to show love and care for their child.
    Needless to say I went over my calorie goal for today. :tongue:
  • jlolsen516
    jlolsen516 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Does anybody else struggle with their calories and feeling like they WANT more food? I drink water all day, and I try to have healthy snacks throughout the day but I have the worst time at night when I'm our of calories.
  • badnoodle
    Options
    @jlolsen516 What I usually find effective is telling myself I can either wait an hour for a serving of something, or I can have celery now. If I'm genuinely hungry, I'll eat the celery. After an hour, typically I've either forgotten about it, I have enough willpower to say no, or it's now worth the splurge. YMMV, of course.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @jlolsen-- I am definitely a night person, so I always put off eating until as late as possible in the morning. That way, I have calories for later in the evening.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Spent the day yesterday in front of the computer updating files. Reminds me how that last job I had before retirement was probably the best fit for my talents and interests ... always have been a spreadsheet junkie, going back to the days of double-entry bookkeeping into huge journal pages that were laboriously tabulated and the results transferred with pencil/pen into ledgers. However, while I was at that, I did cook all my meals and refreshed a sourdough starter, although I didn't use the discard from it like I had been planning to.

This morning I read a blog by motivater/trainer James Clear where he spoke about goals and multitasking. Haven't finished reading that one yet cause my coffee mug is now empty. One thing I did read that struck a cord with me was that he spoke of research which pointed to this in regards to goal setting:

" ... developing a specific plan for when, where, and how you will stick to a new habit will dramatically increase the odds that you will actually follow through, but only if you focus on a single goal."

This leads me back to when I was more successfull at this weight loss/control goal I have ... and that was to only set 1 goal and work that. And it also fits right in with my simplified goal of just sticking to the calorie limit within 100 calories more/less ... doing what it takes to bring that to fruition ending with how much goes on my plate and where it is consumed but starting with a concept I have yet to master in my free-wheeling, nilly-dilly way ... Meal Planning!
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Friday Fitness ... today's thoughs are not about exercise and physicall goals, but a rehash of my beloved number crunching ... where I really learned something important today that I have been ignoring in this weight loss journey.

Before I tell, however, I'd like to observe that it's been a very quiet day on this thread today. We've had a lot of people pop in and talk to some one-anothers with cheery attempts to motivate and relate. That's all good. I feel there is a lot of good in that kind of dialogue, especially because we tend to feel, or actually be, so all - alone in this challenge; even though it seems that 50% of the population is overweight and trying to do something about it! And by the looks of it, without an awful lot of success at getting it off and keeping it off. This is a lonely road. In the end, we all have to walk it by ourselves.

I spent another inordinate amount of time today playing with my spreadsheet numbers ... instead of watching TV or cleaning house, or going to the last day of "Ole Home Days" in my village. This was a good use of my time today.

Hope everyone who stops by on Robin's Thread gets what they are looking for, and that everyone has a nice weekend ahead.
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, hope you have a great weekend - Friday Fitness - just completed 1.21 miles walking, feeling pretty good even though I know it took a lot longer than back when I was walking 3 or 4 times a week. Doesn't matter, the point is I did it and I just need to keep doing it. I need to start concentrating more on myself, or I'm just going to break down like a neglected machine!
    Well, glad to see everyone, and thanks for your kind words the other day when I was feeling so beat up.
    Tracy
    TX
  • cjbrummet
    cjbrummet Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Friday - Fitness, Saturday - Success

I have been doing good to keep up with my promise to myself to work out every other day. But the weight isn't coming off as I would like. I can tell my clothes are looser but the weight seems to stay the same. I try not to dwell on the number on the scale but it is discouraging. I stick to my diet plan of low carb, high protein. With minimal cheats. Earlier I said I would try to avoid stepping on the scale more than once a day well I actually stayed off it for 4 days and the weight didn't go down. I am trying to stay optimistic and continue with the working out. I know that it will start coming off again.

Well I still haven't gotten on my bike. I went to ride the other day and couldn't find my helmet. I have to go buy a new one. Watch the moment I buy a new one and use it, I will find the old one. It never fails. It is so hot that I haven't gone to run outside. But I think I will this morning. I will go early on a jogging path that has shade for about 2/3 of it. We will see how it goes. Here in Texas the temps are in the 90's to 100's and even in the shade that is too hot for me. Right now at 0630 it is already 79 degrees and it heats up quick when the sun comes out.

My only success this past two weeks has been that I have gone down a size in my clothes. The scale may not be moving but I can fit into old clothes that I couldn't before. So that is what will keep me going.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    cjbrummet wrote: »
    Friday - Fitness, Saturday - Success

I have been doing good to keep up with my promise to myself to work out every other day. But the weight isn't coming off as I would like. I can tell my clothes are looser but the weight seems to stay the same. I try not to dwell on the number on the scale but it is discouraging. I stick to my diet plan of low carb, high protein. With minimal cheats. Earlier I said I would try to avoid stepping on the scale more than once a day well I actually stayed off it for 4 days and the weight didn't go down. I am trying to stay optimistic and continue with the working out. I know that it will start coming off again.

Well I still haven't gotten on my bike. I went to ride the other day and couldn't find my helmet. I have to go buy a new one. Watch the moment I buy a new one and use it, I will find the old one. It never fails. It is so hot that I haven't gone to run outside. But I think I will this morning. I will go early on a jogging path that has shade for about 2/3 of it. We will see how it goes. Here in Texas the temps are in the 90's to 100's and even in the shade that is too hot for me. Right now at 0630 it is already 79 degrees and it heats up quick when the sun comes out.

My only success this past two weeks has been that I have gone down a size in my clothes. The scale may not be moving but I can fit into old clothes that I couldn't before. So that is what will keep me going.

You're losing inches, a better indicator of your body changing than that number on the scale IMO. You're doing great so keep at it. I'm in Texas too, so I hear you on the heat--I haven't been on my bike since June (I had ankle surgery 3 weeks ago and am in a cast so can't anyway). I'm looking forward to Fall temps already! :sweat: