Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RachaelPooh
    RachaelPooh Posts: 5,927 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Teresa, you are putting me to shame! What's your secret?

Same wt 3 weeks in row! :(

Ready for Summer 10 week challenge

Name: Rachael
    Height: 5' 6"

Start Weight (week of April 19): 292.3
    Goal Weight (Saturday, July 1st): <285.0 (<280 even better but i am cautious due to my failure of the earth day challenge)

Weigh in week of:
    (Weeks are listed by Wednesdays)
    1. April 26: 290.8
    2. May 3: 294.8
    3. May 10: 292.8
    4. May 17: 292.8
    5. May 24: 292.8
    6. May 31:
    7. June 7:
    8. June 14:
    9. June 21:
    10. June 28:
    Final weight: Saturday, July 1:

Weight -/+ this week: -0.0
    Weight -/+ total: +0.5

GOOD LUCK :wink:
  • luvthewaves
    luvthewaves Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I keep seeing this thread pop up and wondered if i can join in?
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I guess I should add that I think I participated in this thread several years ago.. lol Anyways, I'm back again if it's not too late to join. :)
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @luvthewaves everyone is welcome here. It is a great group.
  • campfirequeen1
    campfirequeen1 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    @RobinB0812 Hey. Robin, I had noticed you were from the Pittsburgh area! My in-laws lived in West Mifflin and they always said they were going to Bethel Park (one of his aunts lived there), but I think the actual name of the large county park is South Park. My husband's family lived all around the river towns where the steel mills were, like Munhall, Duquesne, McKeesport, and all the way down to Monongahela. We lived there for a while up on the northwest side of town on a high cliff over the Ohio river in Coraopolis, which is in Moon Twp. And yes you are right, it is saturated with Eastern European descendants!

I love the food, although it is much more bland than what I grew up eating. Who doesn't love pierogi, which they often referred to as halusky, not to be confused with halupki, which is cabbage rolls... hers were divine. My MIL used to spend a whole day making halusky (my fav was the potato and onion) and freezing them, now I wish I had learned how to make them, because she made the best I've ever eaten! The other thing that I can recall her spending whole days making before Christmas was their traditional nut and fruit roll pastries. Everyone seemed to favor the nut rolls but my fav was the lekvar (prune/plum) or apricot. I always thought the poppy seed ones smelled and tasted musty and I didn't care for them, but I loved poppy seed cake! How does that happen? lol Something that I found a bit confusing was that they also called another dish halusky but it wasn't pierogi, it was cabbage pan fried with onions and then cooked egg noodles were added and simmered together for a bit. It wasn't my fav because the first time she made it for me, I was in my first trimester of pregnancy and everything made me sick. but the smell of the onions frying in butter and then the cabbage on top of that did me in seriously!

Oh and how could I forget palachinki? I never liked it, because I was accustomed to the French crepes and they are more to my liking, but my husband loved them and my children loved them rolled up with Jelly in them. My daughter learned to make them from her grandmother and now gladly fixes them for her brothers when we at all together, because I never learned to make them!
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    @newjax2017 Awww you are so welcome! So glad I could help you feel better about this journey. It really is quite fun when you make friends here and get so much love and support! I recommended that scale to my friend, Kathleen aka @320sycamore and I think she really likes hers as well.

@luvthewaves and @jenniferinfl Welcome and it's never too late to do anything with us! The more the merrier!
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Out of town for a week. Will check in next week
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @campfirequeen1 ... Your post made me want to run to the kitchen with my mom's cookbook and cook, cook, cook!!
    The interesting thing, to me, about the cultural foods our various ancestors brought with them to America is that they were all simple foods, both comforting, filling, and for the most part nutritious and easy to prepare once you knew the basics. Take for instance, the noodle recipes from anywhere in the world ... Spaghetti (long pasta) or macaroni (short pasta), noodles made from different types of grain ground into flour. ...

I can clear up one mystery you had, or two ... about Halusky (the spelling and pronounciation will differ depending on region/country) ... but it means "noodle" (any thick, soft noodle or dumpling) So, when you had the dumpling version of it, you where eating what my family called Vareniki and our Polish friends called Pierogi (usually steamed or boiled) and when the cabbage and egg version was made, it was still the noodle that was the star, but now in a casserole type dish (and very popular in German stemmed cultures) ... there is usually an addiitonal word with the recipes to describe what kind of halusky dish it was. Ah - this reveals why I so much love the American comfort casseroles called "Tuna Noodle Casserole" and "Macaroni and Cheese"

And, those palachinki are actually rolled crepes ... and they look like fingers or sticks ... therefor the name "little fingers, or little sticks". My mom made those all the time but she called them Blintchiki (Blin being Russian stem word for thin pancakes). Another term for them my mom used, depending on how she prepared them, was Nalesniki.

And now I'm really gonna head to my kitchen and grab that head of cabbage I brought home from the store this week and get to shredding it so I can make something out of stewed cabbage later on this week! :)

PS ... @welcome-to-the-new-folks who have spotted our thread and want to join in ... the only entry 'ticket' is that you had needed to lose 100 pounds or more when you started your weight loss journey! ... cause we are 'special' people ... ha, ha ... no ... really, we are! And, we are striving towards not being in that category of body obesity any more!
  • cellosmiles
    cellosmiles Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    To all those talking about food. We grew up on vereneki and kilka with farmer sausage of course. Yes vereneki is a pierogi. Kilka is just the noodles. We make portzelky and roll kuchen too. <3 i also like to make cabbage borscht and summer borscht and the cabbage rolls too.

I think i may just crockpot some lazy mans cabbage rolls this week. Thanks for the idea. That would fit real good with my meal plan. As long as my budget allows the purchase of the beef.

Hmmm. My heritage is slightly different from your guys. But some similar foods. I am Mennonite and my ancestors immigrated to canada 6 generations before me. We fled Russia during the Stalin persecution. If you take the family tree back further...we are Dutch.

Enjoy your week. Since I worked the farm Monday I am a day or two bloated still. Will weigh in once the water bloat has disappeared.
  • lksmeeton
    lksmeeton Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Name: LaDana
    Height: 5'2"

Start Weight (week of April 19): 281
    Goal Weight (week of June 28): 265

Weigh in week of:
    (Weeks are listed by Wednesdays)
    1. April 26 - 281
    2. May 3 - 280
    3. May 10 - 280
    4. May 17 - 277
    5. May 24 - 274
    6. May 31 -
    7. June 7 -
    8. June 14 -
    9. June 21 -
    10. June 28 -
    Final weight: Saturday, July 1 -

Weight -/+ this week: 3
    Weight -/+ total: 7
  • newjax2017
    newjax2017 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ready for summer 10 week challenge

Name Jo
    Age 47
    Height 161 centimetres about 5 foot 3

Start weight (week of April 19) 91kgs / 200.6 lbs
    Goal weight (Saturday July 1) 85 kgs / 187 lbs

Weigh in week of:
    April 26 91 kgs / 200.6 lbs
    May 3 197.1
    May 10 194.4
    May 17 193.5
    May 24 191.2
    May 31
    June 7
    June 14
    June 21
    June 28
    July 1

Weight +/- this week 2.3
    Weight +/- total 9.4

I am so sorry to create more work for you but I made an error!!!!
    I overwrote may 17 instead of adding may 24.
    That means the total was correct but my weekly weigh in was wrong. And it was too late to edit, hence the second post.
    sorry :'(
  • jam5660
    jam5660 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Truth Thursday: fallen off the wagon, but hanging onto the side for dear life! I start the mornings off so well but haven't been following my routine once the day gets going (end of school crazieness is what i keep telling myself) so my mind can't seem to remember to make good choices ( i apperantly cant keep chocolate bars for end of school celebration smores in the house without eating them all) and it's  telling my stomach it's more hungry than it really is so it's all down hill from there. I upped my daily calories to see if I had just been too low for too long but it hasn't helped. I havent been to the gym in 3 weeks but keep telling myself as soon as school lets out it will be easier, lies lies I tell you!! I have gained 2 lbs and so I didn't weigh in the challange yesterday hoping I can be very diligent and by Saturday get it back down to not show a gain. this is why I need truth Thursday so much. see how many lies I tell myself so I feel it's ok to start tomorrow(the tomorrow that never comes) to getting back on track. But it's today, so I start today, I start now.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thursday Truth ... understand exactly how @jam5660 feels cause what was said could have been written by me.
    Today I am really glad that I dropped 1.8 pounds in water weight in the last 24 hours. ...
    that means I am not as much over my starting weight on April 19th as I reported yesterday ... however, I am still over by 1.6 pounds.

Today is a doctor appointment for my annual physical, my fully dressed weight at his office was 244 on January 18. Now that's a depressing realization: I was 235 on my birthday in mid-March and now am back up over the past 2 months ... and it's all due to my apparent inability to stay consistent in my diet plan. Wonder what the next 4 months will bring? Niki ... consider this a wake-up call to get back on track.
  • campfirequeen1
    Options
    Thursday Truth- I leave on vacay tomorrow very early and I have a really busy day today so I doubt that I will be making the best choices and getting to the gym, but then that's pretty much how my week has gone, so I join you @Nikion901 and @jam5660 in the fess up to not living up to my own expectations and trying to cover it up with lies, lies, lies! LOL The truth is that my sodium is still out of whack and that is my own fault as I am the chef. I am the one that eats a bite while I am weighing out stuff. I am that one that reaches for the unsalted cashews but ends up eating way too many, because I'm tired and need to go to bed instead of mindless chewing up lots of calories while I do something "important", no the IMPORTANT thing is NOT TO DO THAT! I took my diuretic this morning and I will try to wait it out to weigh in before I eat but it may be another pass week. I won't be weighing in next week most likely because I will be away on vacay. So we will see the fifth of June when I go for my yearly physical what the final verdict is for the 12 months that have passed, and the 11 months that I have been here at MFP! Best wishes to all for a happy, healthy and wise choices week! Holly