Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone hope your weekends are going well and everyone is feeling good and embracing the holiday spirit. So who know that hanging garland and general x-mas decorating was so strenuous. It is either a big commentary on how out of shape I am or harder then I thought. Though really garland hanging when you break it down almost looks like a workout. step on chair, raise arms over head, step off chair, move chair, and then repeat. I did that all the way around the inside of my house. We are having a short break between storm systems today so hopefully it lasts until my daughter gets home from school and we are going to try and get the outside decorations up today. If you havent figured it out yet I am one of those people who beleives there is no such thing as to much at christmas. I just love eerything about it from the general feeling of well being that seems to permeate everything to the joy I see on my kids faces christmas morning. Well I hope everyone has a great day and remember drink your water. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    @Katie -- good luck keeping up with the exercising and not slacking! I do think it's worth mixing things up a bit after a few months, or your body gets used to the routine. I don't know how tall you are but you don't have any more to lose than I do, so you should be able to do C25K. Do go to a running store to get those shoes so they can look at your gait and make sure you've got the right shoes. I started right away running through my neighbourhood and I *do* feel like a bit of an idiot but I think it's a lot more fun than the treadmill. I use an iPhone app called iSmoothRun that helps you pace your training exactly as you want, and I am amazed by how much stamina I've developed since September. People say that it really doesn't matter how slowly you run and I think that's right, especially at the start.
    @Angelika -- That's interesting about vitamin D. I've certainly been sleeping better since I started running (I always run in daylight); I don't know how much of that is getting more vitamin D and how much of it is that running makes me tired.
    @Doug -- I'm wondering about doing the earliest C25K runs again, except doing the 'running' parts with a 5mph run instead of just any run. I'd really like to be able to run consistently at 5mph, and at the moment although I sometimes peak at that for a few yards, my fastest mile is still over 14 minutes. So it sounds like that worked really well for you.
    @spookytune -- Well done walking 2.1 miles! That's actually a long long way for someone who only started exercising a few days ago. Next time you'll finish for sure.
    @June -- I've done Zumba a couple of times but I'm not sure I'd call myself a Zumba person. Lots of people do 3 days cardio, 3 days strength, a day rest so it's probably a pretty good plan.
    @Robin -- I think walking's great exercise, just as good as running! You just have to do so much more of it to get the same effect. But we can nearly all walk, and you really don't need any special gear to do it.
    @Jana -- ice skating is brilliant exercise so it should be fine to switch it out for walking.
    @Kaye -- fantastic news from your surgeon!
    @LaurieK -- if you're running round the track then you're a runner. There's a brilliant quote about this somewhere.
    @Franniek -- Welcome back! This thread's brilliant, isn't it?
    @Kelley -- you've LOST 100 POUNDS!!!!! Wah hey!!!! Mega congratulations! It doesn't matter at all how long it takes, does it?
    @Tammy -- I need to remember when I think about all the rushing around and organising of Christmas, that it's only a few short years until my babies fly the nest.
    @Holly -- just rest and look after your BF. And get him to take his meds! Honestly.

Sunday Share: For those who don't know I'm Alison; I'm 47 and live in north east London. I'm married and have two kids, a boy (12) and a girl (15). We don't have any pets but we make up for it with our ramshackle house and collection of computers. I'm not working at the moment but instead studying, exercising, and trying to plan for a fantastic, low budget but high spirited Christmas with my family. This week my daughter has had mock exams and a persistent cough, and my son has got into big trouble at school. And I went to a lovely party on Saturday night, drank about what I'd planned, had one careful plate of buffet food, and then sat down near a pile of chocolates and had a vast number of them. Whoops... today is another day.

And a Saturday Success except Sunday -- we've been talking about making food ahead and freezing. I made 12 portions of meatballs, except that I didn't make them, my son did (I made the sauce) and I froze half, a few weeks ago. So I got them out and we had our friend staying last night; lunch today was spaghetti and meatballs and they were completely delicious and *no work at all* today.

A tiny exercise update -- I ran in the freezing, blistering cold on Friday, home from IKEA across Tottenham marshes. I had my longsleeved running top and long tights, and my darling hubby lent me his thermal running cap. The marshes were beautiful and frosty but brrrrr cold (about 41F). Just over 4 miles in total which was my long run target for the week, but with a measured 5k at the start after warmup. And the 5k time was ... tada! ... 49m37 seconds. So. Under 50 minutes which is a definite PB. Next week I'm going to do my first parkrun and I'm hoping that being in a 'proper race' will get me under 49 minutes. I got home and discovered that my husband had been tracking my progress on Find My Friends. There weren't a lot of people on the marshes in the cold to be sure, but there were a few dog walkers; I didn't feel totally alone.

Looking forward to another great week!

-- Alison
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    i weighed myself today. after all of that i lost 0.2 of a pound :laugh: sigh. oh well, i just have to keep reminding myself the point of this diet isn't to lose weight it's to make myself healthier, though i really do need to lose weight and she says eventually it will happen as a natural side effect. i do have to say that my body composition has definitely changed though, which is good. my pants are much looser. so i guess that's a plus, regardless of actually weight loss
  • tootsanderson
    Options
    Hubby and I got a favorable comment from a relative at a family gathering last night and he got to his goal weight this morning. :drinker: yeah! I got another good night sleep last night and I am glad of that.

wow, congrats to him!
    And a Saturday Success except Sunday -- we've been talking about making food ahead and freezing. I made 12 portions of meatballs, except that I didn't make them, my son did (I made the sauce) and I froze half, a few weeks ago. So I got them out and we had our friend staying last night; lunch today was spaghetti and meatballs and they were completely delicious and *no work at all* today.

do you have a big freezer? or can you fit those extra portions in your regular freezer. i always look at my freezer and think, no way could i fit a bunch of other stuff in there.
    Hi everyone hope your weekends are going well and everyone is feeling good and embracing the holiday spirit. So who know that hanging garland and general x-mas decorating was so strenuous. It is either a big commentary on how out of shape I am or harder then I thought. Though really garland hanging when you break it down almost looks like a workout. step on chair, raise arms over head, step off chair, move chair, and then repeat.

ha, awesome. good call. it's christmas workout time.
  • lcunningham12
    Options
    My name is Lauren Cunningham I am originally from Oklahoma. My husband is in the United States Army. We recently moved to Tennessee. I am soon to be 19 years old.I have a 4 month old beautiful baby boy. I currently attend college at the University of Phoenix. I love to laugh and spend time with my family. I want to get into shape so that I feel better about myself. I want to be able to wake up and look in the mirror and be happy with what I see. I want to have the energy to get up and spend time with my son and not want to lay around all day long. I am only 18.. I should not be closing in on 300lbs. I need this not only for me but for my family. Tomorrow. Monday. 12/3/12 I will start my weight loss operation. I bought Zumba fitness but has not come in yet. But I am going to do some basic workouts just so I am doing some excersising and beginning my new diet. I am new to this site and could really use some motivation and friends to help me along the way. My husband is so great about this but his skinnyself just doesnt get how hard it is to be 274 lbs and why I want to lose it. He thinks Im perfect. Insert Eye roll.
  • lcunningham12
    Options
    My name is Lauren Cunningham I am originally from Oklahoma. My husband is in the United States Army. We recently moved to Tennessee. I am soon to be 19 years old.I have a 4 month old beautiful baby boy. I currently attend college at the University of Phoenix. I love to laugh and spend time with my family. I want to get into shape so that I feel better about myself. I want to be able to wake up and look in the mirror and be happy with what I see. I want to have the energy to get up and spend time with my son and not want to lay around all day long. I am only 18.. I should not be closing in on 300lbs. I need this not only for me but for my family. Tomorrow. Monday. 12/3/12 I will start my weight loss operation. I bought Zumba fitness but has not come in yet. But I am going to do some basic workouts just so I am doing some excersising and beginning my new diet. I am new to this site and could really use some motivation and friends to help me along the way. My husband is so great about this but his skinnyself just doesnt get how hard it is to be 274 lbs and why I want to lose it. He thinks Im perfect. Insert Eye roll.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Lauren, you have found a wonderful group of people to help you. Just follow the plan. Tracking food has really helped me. It makes me very aware of what, when, and how much I am eating. Best wishes to you. Keep in touch. Kaye
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Here goes another week, folks!

First of all --- :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: WATER TAG!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

**putting serious hat back on**

@Lauren - Welcome! Being a military dependant is a stress that I'm well acquainted with, as well as a husband who thinks I'm perfect just the way I am... it's sweet, and they do mean it... but he will be just as supportive as you get healthier!
    @Alison - ok, I'm even more jealous now! That sounds like a great run, and with an IKEA that close I would try that too (or at least biking). I love IKEA. I'd need to run if ours was that close though... their restaurant is far too yummy.
    @jt - nice job of turning that decorating into some good exercise!
    @grandmakaye - 2# is still a great loss - way to go! And being so far ahead of the curve on your recovery is awesome :bigsmile:
    @Toots - sorry for your loss :frown:
    @Laurie - I'm just 'learning' to run myself - all of you that are actually out there running just inspire me!
    @Christine - you're always so upbeat - you make me smile a lot
    @RobinsEgg - Retail therapy is unfortunately a favorite of mine... I don't get to partake too often (but Goodwill is one of my favorite places to get a deal)
    @walkingqueen - I have issues with my husband taking care of himself as well
    So, I went to an auction with my husband yesterday - didn't do badly: Nice bike for me, some household things, a Keurig for me for work. Lots of walking, and with going to several different areas of the auction house - 13 flights of stairs!

On the down side, I'm having one of those plateaus - and it's upsetting me enough that I'm having trouble staying with my numbers (talk about a self-creating problem). I hope I'll be back on track soon.
  • spookytune
    spookytune Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share - I am a single 42 year old woman and I live in Louisville, KY. I love spending time with my family and friends. At the moment, I'm unemployed. I was laid off from my last job awhile ago. I've been in graphic arts most of my life, but since being laid off I'm toying with the idea of going back to school and studying nursing. Really like helping people, but art has been my first love ever since I can remember. Would love to find a way to combine the two. I joined MFP because it is time to take my life back. I'm tired of my knees and back hurting all the time, tired of not being fit enough to do the activities I want to do and just plain tired of being tired. I want to be able to participate in life not watch it from the sidelines. My major motivation is that I want to run the Disney Half Marathon in January 2014. My favorite character is Donald Duck and he is the grand Marshall of the race. Everyone who finishes the race receives a Donald Duck medal which I really would love to have. Plus, I'll get a Disney vacation as well which is always so much fun.

Hope all is well with everyone. Have a great week!
  • tootsanderson
    Options

welcome. i'm a military wife too. just USAF instead. welcome to the board.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Kelley- Congrats on reaching the 100 pound mark. You have been working really hard to accomplish this goal. Keep up the hard work.

I had a blast at the jingle bell hayrides. I actually caught up with few old friends that I haven't seen in years. I did walk about 2 miles yesterday. This weekend I have eaten a lot of junk and it is my own fault. I did walk the mall this morning so that helped some but I still ate too much junk food. Tomorrow, I will be back on track and doing a full workout.

Exercise goals for the week.

Sunday- Walk the Mall
    Monday- Trainer workout
    Tuesday- Rest
    Wednesday-Gym or rock climbing
    Thursday- Gym
    Friday- Rock Climbing
    Saturday- rock climbing class
  • grandmakaye44
    Options
    It had quit raining when I got out of church so I had a nice 30 min. walk. I walked 12 blocks in that time so I'm getting faster.
    Lest anyone think I'm a whiner about the weight loss, that was point 2#, not 2#. Anyway, it is what it is. Kaye
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I missed you all the past few days! :flowerforyou:

I'm about 4 pages behind and I know I will never find time to carefully read all of those posts--I skimmed through and see some people dealing with the loss of loved ones--my heart goes out out you. :cry:

Also, saw a lot of chatter about running. As one of those people whose gone from zero running to doing 5ks regularly, please know YOU CAN DO IT!!! I used c25k and loved it. I'm still at 5k as my "longer" runs, but one of my goals is to increase that to 5 miles over the next several months.

I had a super-busy weekend and only managed a few long walks with gunner and some bowling as exercise, but I also did ok with my calorie intake.

Saturday I had to go to a memorial service for a friend whose son passed away a few weeks ago. He was 32, but had been in a serious car accident at age 13. Suffered a traumatic brain injury and has lived in a facility for the past 16 years. It was a very sad but sweet service at the facility. His parents are such wonderful people who are probably the strongest people I've ever met in my life. In addition to their son's accident, a couple of years later their only other child was leaning out of her apt. window to coax her cat in from the tree and fell tp her death. She was only a freshman in college at the time.

After the ceremony, I went to meet a friend in Rockford for shopping, dinner, and a charity bowling event. She got a hotel room in town b/c the bowling started pretty late, so I stayed overnight with her. We went to breakfast this morning then I drove home and got ready to go visit with family in town from MI. We had a nice visit, but I feel like I got NOTHING done this weekend. :ohwell:

While at the bowling event, I bought some raffle tickets to support the charity. You could drop the tickets in baskets for a number of prizes, and I put most of mine in the basket for a HRM--and I WON IT!!! Very excited about that. It's much nicer that the one I have. However, its got a chest strap which I've never worn before--this might be a stupid question, but, Ladies, does the strap go under the twins? The picture is of a man and in the diagram it's right across the middle of his chest. I can't imagine that working on a female.

Got zero grading done, but I think I really needed a break from it, so I'm not gonna beat myself up about it.

Exercise goals:
    Mon--core work (I have a late meeting so there's no way I will be home to walk gunner before dark)
    Tues--walk gunner + gym OR run outside w/ gunner (weather dependent)
    Wed--walk gunner + core work
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym OR run outside
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym OR run outside
    Sun--walk gunner + gym OR run outside
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    @Toots -- feeling fitter and looser clothes are all a big win, aren't they? My freezer is the freezer portion of a relatively enormous fridge-freezer -- but it's the fridge that's enormous, the freezer is ordinary size. So I can't stock very many meals, but I try to keep two or three family meals in the freezer. I am pretty brutal with the freezer; when I look at it and think 'oh it's full', we have a week where I systematically eat it down. So, it normally has two or three frozen meals (for four), a pack each of frozen fish, chicken breasts, sausages and mince, several sorts of frozen veg (chopped spinach, peas, soya beans, broad beans), a loaf of bread and a pack of bagels, a pack of oven chips, a couple of pints of chicken stock, and some frozen herbs, egg whites, bits and bobs like that.
    @Lauren -- welcome!
    @Vicki -- we have sort of got into a bit of a habit of playing badminton on Friday morning and then going to IKEA for meatballs. It's not really the *best* habit so I'm sort of going to drop it down to once a fortnight.
    @spookytune -- I'm sort of unemployed at the moment (or rather, I'm not working, but I'm not really looking for a job so it doesn't quite count as unemployed). I'm gradually spending my redundancy money.
    @Lauriek -- glad you liked the hayrides! They sound like so much fun.
    @Karen -- congrats on winning the HRM! Yup, strap under the girls. I have to use electrolyte gel on mine to get a good connection. And that's such a sad story about your friends. It's sort of every parent's worst nightmare.

Monday check-in -- I have lost another pound, despite that Saturday party, and despite not being able to keep in balance yesterday -- I was just ravenous at the end of the day, and had a high-protein snack (cheese & yoghurt drink) before going off to bed. And I realised I didn't mention measurements, it being December now. I measured on November 30th, and everything was the same except that my bust was an inch down. So that's a win. I'm going to carry on measuring once a month. Or maybe once every three months?

Have a fantastic week people!

-- Alison
  • ktaqt3399
    ktaqt3399 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Good morning....just got back in to town last night from my weekend away. Definatly did not make the best food choices...hoped on the scale this morning and had a 2 lb gain although im hoping some of it is just fluid. Im back on it today. Hitting the gym every day this week. I originally wanted to be below 285 by christmas. Im not sure if thats realistic. I have 8 lbs to be below 290. Im making that my new goal. I am more committed than ever to be healthy and I want this. Im going to get back on it. Today is grocery day so i will be able to fill my house up with the right food to make the next few weeks successful. I turn 27 on april 18th. I would love to be below 275 by then .....Hope you all had good weekends and even better weeks
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Well, I have known that I couldn't hope to continue the huge losses each week, and today reality hit. I only lost .2#. At least it is a loss. I haven't done anything differently, and I have been under goal everyday, so I will just keep on keepin' on. It will come.
    Have a good Sunday.

I hated it when the big losses stopped but I have now lost more iddy bits at a time than i did in large amounts. So hang in there, it's all good.

Toots! I am an USAF brat, born on an AirForceBase too.

Robin when I feel the need for Retail therapy I go and see how much I can get for $5 at the Dollar Store. :wink:

Kelley Centennial Congratulations!

Hubby and I went to play Petanque yesterday, can't recommend holding a metal ball when it is 40-something, my hands got so cold they hurt. Need to go shopping for gloves....
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,135 Member
    Options
    This is one of my best weeks, down 3 lbs. I don’t know if the extra miles walked helped or what. I guess it didn’t hurt.

Wishing everyone a safe, healthy, and happy week.

And lest I forget----water tag. Next 5 people on the post---drink a glass of water!!
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Lin

1482351y1dphi597b.gif
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

We are having some crazy temps lately – record highs and record high-lows. I think its nuts that its December and we’re having to run our a/c – today’s high is supposed be 82.

Thanks, everyone, for the congrats on finally hitting that century mark – it was a long time coming, but I got there. Congrats to all of those that had losses last week as well, no matter how small – all those .2s add up in the end!

Yesterday was crazy busy and I think my trainer tried to do me in – I went early to get in some running time before our session (we’re trying to get me down to a 12 minute mile), then he just had me on the move keeping my heart rate up the entire time. I couldn’t believe the weight of the kettlebells he had me using! I think he was trying to see how high of a calorie burn I would get, by the time I got home I was toast and my whole body hurt! My hamstrings and back hurt this morning, this too shall pass. After huge calorie burns on Saturday and Sunday, I think I am going to do a lighter workout tonight.

This week’s workout plan:

Monday~Cross Trainer – only doing a zone 1 workout
    Tuesday~I may make this an active recovery day, just a walk around the neighborhood after work
    Wednesday~Elliptical/Run
    Thursday~Workout with Trainer
    Friday~Not sure yet
    Saturday~Long run outside
    Sunday~Workout with Trainer

@Karen~Congrats on winning such a great prize, what HRM model is it? I have the Polar RS300 and love it! Yep, the strap goes under the girls. :laugh:
    @Alison~My measurements have been all wonky too – had lost some great inches in October, but stayed the same in November. Go figure! I love IKEA!!!
    @Lin~I drank two just for you! :wink:

:drinker: :drinker: Water Tag:drinker: :drinker:

:heart: Kelley :heart:
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Kelly - the Century Mark - 100 lbs - WOOT! Sounds like you and your trainer are really going for the gold with how hard you are working - you should have some amazing results!

Welcome Lauren - what a great start for you! Don't get discouraged if you stumble early on - we all do, so stick with it, that's the best advice I could give you. I have been doing this for more than 2 years and I have stumbled a lot, but I am still here! Thats the big part of the picture, getting back on the wagon and NOT GIVING UP when you have a bad day or week.

Vicki - I envy your trip to the auction house = sounds like you had a great time! Sorry you have reached a plateau - UGH! Time to try ADDING in some calories for a week, then dropping back down! But you are at 70 pounds lost, don't overlook that great accomplishment!

Spooky - so nice to learn about you! I think your idea to go into nursing is wonderful, or you could consider vocational -occupational rehabilitation where you could use your art! I don't know the job market for that field but the job is creative and does wonderful work with people. I am also getting excited for you to run and get your Donald Duck Medal!

Laurie - so glad the hayrack ride was fun and you caught up wiwth old friends - any little itchy's from the hay? :tongue: It sounds as if all the exercise you got it really balanced off any extra calories you added in - I wouldn't feel too bad...

Skinny - congrats on winning the HRM! I have no idea where its strapped! Good luck figuring it out! What an exciting moment for you - and what a fortuitous win - you couldn't have been luckier. My heart goes out to your friends for their loss. So tragic.

Boho - congrats on your pound loss - and on managing your freezer space so well!

ktat - glad your weekend away did not do more damage. You just get back on the program and that weight will go the way of the other pounds you are losing. Keep on your plan and you can get down to that number by your birthday! YES you can!

Angelika - I love your "revolving" holiday pictures- thank you!

Linder - WOOT - 3 lbs. Yes lets celebrate :love: :flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

As JT mentioned, its good exercise just decorating for the holidays and I have got that done and today I plan on vacuuming and dustng. Yesterday I did laundry. Add this with deep cough remaining from the flu.

Who mentioned the weather? We are in the midwest and having 60 degree days - beautiful. My heart goes out to those on the west coast who are being flooded.
  • grandmakaye44
    Options
    Kelley Congratulations on the 100# loss. That is amazing. May I ask how long it took? Some days it looks a long way off to me.
    Many of you are setting specific goals. I am hesitating to do that because I feel that even I stay on the program, I have little or no control over how fast the weight comes off. Am I just chicken about goals or is that reasonable?
    I am getting more done every day. I have taken over my own laundry today. :happy:
    Thanks for the water tag. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: