Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Kah - my utter and sincere sympathies to you on the loss of your grandmother - I know she will remain close at heart to you - the transition is difficult, I know, dear. Take all the time you need to mourn - don't listen to people who say you "should be over it by now" as we all mourn at a singular rate. If it helps, make a little shrine to her with a photo and some candles and a memento or two of her to give you comfort.

nettie - welcome back, oldtimer! We're here to support you and help you get started on that weight loss journey again.

Queen - I sympathize with you - I can't afford a heart rate monitor either, or any of the fancy toys. I think your calculations are valid and quite good enough! It sounds as if you did a super job of exercising over the weekend - you really busted it out!.

Just got up from a 4 hour nap. I suppose I am feeling better - its actually hard to tell!.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @kelley--I'm so sorry for your loss, hon. :flowerforyou:

@holly--I agree with robin that, although an HRM is nice, it's not necessary. I lost my first 40 lbs or so without any HRM. The two that I've owned gave me very different calorie burns, so I don't know that I trust either was any more accurate than a website calculator. I'm back to no HRM right now b/c my chest strap cracked (not the elastic, but the plastic), and I don't think it makes a huge difference. In addition, an HRM is only useful for cardio--it doesn't accurately measure for strength training which is a big part of my exercise routine right now, so I'm not in a big hurry to drop big bucks on a new one. I use MFP and heathstatus.com to calculate--I typically use the average of the 2, or if both seem high, I'll halve it as you did.

@jeanette--welcome back! :flowerforyou:

@lives2travel--Getting rid of those old clothes is great! :smile: Glad you are feeling better.

@sjacobs--getting enough water is tough while on the road--at least you got in some good exercise.

@beachgirl--ugh, as another sicky--I sympathize. Take care--get enough rest and fluids.

@gorilla--Yeah, it seems like this thread always moves faster during the workweek--I hope no one tells all of our bosses! :noway: Glad the new workout went well--sore is so good!

@robin--has anyone thought about challenges for November? I know one of my goals is to do a turkey trot, so I was thinking maybe we could all commit to some sort of "extra" exercise to make up for the big Thanksgiving feast. However, I know not everyone in our group is from the US, and I don't want goals to be ethnocentric.

Anyone else have ideas for November challenge?

Monday Check-in:
    Fever, chills, and headache completely gone, but now I have some congestion--nothing terrible, but enough that I canceled my appt to donate blood this evening. I rescheduled for next Monday. I haven't lifted since last Wed., so my goal is to get back to that tomorrow along with HIIT.

I need to continue to make progress on the AP essays and analysis activities b/c the quarter ends this We. and grades are due next Mon. My student teacher needs to grade those Junior essays--he and I discussed this today. He's great in the classroom but struggles with efficiency grading and time management. He's aware ad is working on it.

Grading goals:
    1. 27/73 AP essays
    2. x/16 AP analysis activities
    3. x/55 Junior in-class essays (student teacher will do these)

Exercise goals:
    Mon-walk gunner DONE
    Tues--walk gunner + gym (lift and HIIT)
    Wed--walk gunner + gym (lift and HIIT)
    Thurs--walk gunner
    Fri--walk gunner
    Sat--walk gunner + gym (lift and HIIT)
    Sun--walk gunner + gym (5k)

Exercise & Weight:
    Bench press = 65
    Dead lift = 65
    Squat = 70
    Overhead press = 50

Upright row = 40 (kettle bell)
    Overhead tricep extension = 25 (dumbbell)
    Bicep curl = 15 (dumbbell)
    Lat pull down = 100
    Tricep pull down = 80
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Kelley- Sorry to hear about your grandmother. I know she will always hold a special place in your heart and will be looking over you. Just remember Pennies from Heaven-when you find a penny, she is thinking of you.

Gorilla- Great job on the new workout then a spin class the next morning. Hope workout B goes well.

Jeanette- Welcome Back.

Holly- HRM are just an estimate of what you are burning. You don't need one to be successful in this process. Karen gave you a great website to determine calories burned plus this site does a good job as well. You can also continue to use your method to figure it out. The whole point is you are moving. In addition, the more you exercise is increasing your fitness level. Great since endurance is increasing however you need to work harder to get the same about of calorie burn. I learned that lesson from my trainer tonight. Needless to say, cardio workouts are taking on a whole new intensity level.

As I mention to Holly, I am discovering that my endurance level has increased dramatically. This means that I need to work harder when I exercise. So I will add some interval training to my routines but instead of speed, I will be focusing on resistance at higher levels. I will also be adding in a regular weight training program. I am good with the machines but not so comfortable with the dumbbells on my own. I am still to worried about my form and I know I don't push myself as hard when I lift alone.

November- I like Karen's idea of some sort of extra exercise especially since we are moving into Fall and colder weather. We should still try to get outside as much as possible. This may help keep us motivated to exercise.

I am seriously considering doing one more 5K in November around the 17th. My only concern is that I am not use to running outside in the cold. It could be very cold that day but it is for a good cause. I just need to find motivation to train for the 5K. I hope I can talk my friend's husband into running it with me. My friend is walking in honor of her kids who have juvenile arthritis.

Every year, I get school pictures so I was able to see the visual progress that I have made during the past 4 years. The difference is truly amazing especially in the face. I look like a whole new person. Professional photos are great. I am getting ready to organize the photos so I can have them on display as a reminder of what not to do again. It will also serve as a timeline for my progress. I will post photos soon.
  • meisterkidd
    Options
    Monday check in:

Today's been a bit of a nightmare. The blood test results came back in, and I got to sit down and talk with my doctor. If something's not done NOW I'm going to end up diabetic. My thyroid is a little high, I have PCOS, she wants to see me in three months and wants me to have lost 25 pounds by then. She said the three medications she put me on will help me to lose weight but they're making me so sleepy and tearing my stomach up. I did manage to eat pretty well though and I got some exercise in today as well so I guess it's not all bad... just very stressful. I'm scared... sincerely. I see my dad having to stab himself with a needle every day and I don't want to be like that too. I hope I can do this.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @laurie--I have also found that intervals are helping me get better cardio burns. I also worry about form b/c I lift alone, but I've found if I just go slow, focus, and listen to my body I do okay--at least I haven't had any injuries thus far.

Laurie's post about pics is too funny since I just changed my profile picture--we are doppelganging again (yes, as an English teacher I'm allowed to make up my own words--it says so on my degree :wink: ).

The new pic is from my friend's wedding in September. I had mentioned my dress buying trip beforehand and had promised a picture. This is the best one to see the whole dress--if you go to my profile, you can see all of it. I took several from the front with my DH and friends, but we are outside in all of them, and I was wearing a sweater due to chilliness. :ohwell:
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Kelley--so sorry about the loss of you grandmother. I know you will miss her.
    I didn't gain any weight on my trip, but I didn't lose any either. I'm really pushing the calories again today. Not over, but using my of the exercise calories than I would like to.
    Hope everyone has a good night. Kaye
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    Only a few posts to go, so I will go ahead and roll us over.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart:

FOR NEWBIES ....................................PLEASE NOTE................................................................

- soon, we will soon come to the end of this current thread - at the end of every 20 pages, - we start a new Thread - you will see at the bottom in the last post on page 20 a sentence like this :

(<Continued at this topic >) and the words “this topic” will be in blue.

Click on that phrase and it will take you to the first post on our new page One.

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options

FOR NEWBIES ....................................PLEASE NOTE................................................................

- soon, we will soon come to the end of this current thread - at the end of every 20 pages, - we start a new Thread - you will see at the bottom in the last post on page 20 a sentence like this :

Click on that phrase and it will take you to the first post on our new page One.

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options

• skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    :heart:

Newbies, Welcome to our Thread! You can join us just by posting to this thread.....

GOALS and IDEAS for daily posts (Not mandatory)

Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)

Wednesday - Wishes (what do you wish? It can be weight related or not, can be realistic or not)

Thursday - Truth (got anything you need to fess up to or get off your chest?)

Friday - Fitness (what are you doing to get fit? How are you preparing for weekend eating?

Saturday - Success (what have you accomplished; focus on the positive of the week, NSV=non scale victories)

Sunday - Sharing (tell us a little about yourself....update your personal life)

The OCTOBER Challenges:
    1. To lose 4 lbs
    2. To exercise in exchange for any Halloween candy I eat.
    3. To drink 8 glasses of water a day.
    No!!!!! I was in the middle of a large post including a ton of personals, but it was being rolled over and it's been lost when I hit Reply. Oh well. . . I don't have the time to write it over again. I'll just start replying going forward.

Monday Check In: It's good to be home for awhile. Last week was a blur. Weekend was a blast, but I'm exhausted. It was worth it spending the extra time with Cyrus at Universal Studios and Disneyland. I did work out tonight though (30 minutes on the elliptical and 50 minutes with the trainer). I was able to maintain last week, which is a miracle since I had Mickey Mouse Ice Cream, cotton candy, pizza, etc. . . We did walk over 15,000 steps and 8+ miles each day. I'm also wrapping up the October Squat Challenge with my trainer and her trainees. We started 10/1 doing 50 and tomorrow will be 240 then on 10/31 we finish at 250. It's been tough the past week, but I'm definitely feeling stronger. I think for November she's pushing a plank challenge. Lord give me strength!!!
  • stormydestiny
    Options
    Monday check in : well, i haven't been on MFP in a while and have never replied to anything so i thought i'd give it a try. last time i was on i was down 8 lbs. But that was nearly a month ago and i've moved states since then. living with my fiances family has been awesome but the scale here does not work. So even though i enjoy the broken scale saying i'm only 247 lbs i know it is not fact and so it is driving me crazy. i am motivated to start working out again so today i walked 1.5 miles at 3 mph. i know its not much but it is way better than just sitting on the couch all day. if anyone has any tips or advice for a newbie it would be greatly appreciated. :)
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Kah- I'm sorry about the loss of your grandma.
    MeisterKidd- I'm sorry that the doctor gave you such scary news. But it hasn't happened yet... you can do this. I had gestational diabetes and had to take insulin. The needles are not that bad. But I was thankful that it stopped after the pregnancy. But part of the reason that I'm here now is that I'm now predisposed for it. It's a wake up call for us to take care of ourselves. :flowerforyou:

I've been very busy this weekend. It was my eldest son's b-day, and even though his party is next weekend, he deserved a little spoiling. Also exercise has been good but, I seriously lacked motivation this weekend. I can't complain about not losing if I'm not moving. My cold is still hanging on, but there is no rest for a mom w/ little kids. lol! I'm going to be busy the next couple days. My sons picked costumes that I can't possibly buy. So its quality with my sewing machine. I was all good with it but my younger son changed his mind yesterday to a much more complicated costume. sigh. It's a good thing he is cute. :tongue:
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Got up this morning to find out that my new pink fit-bit flex has shipped and will be here in 5-10 business days through fed ex. YEAH!! Additional multi colored straps are still on back order. So goal for this week is more exercise. Cannot keep blaming the weather - even if I am a weather weenie I have to move more. Went to see my friend at lunch yesterday and they have a Chinese Crested male looking for a new home. Previous owner got a boob job and boyfriend. Boyfriend did not like the dog so she chose the boyfriend and took the dog to rescue. Time will show her that she made the wrong choice. Anyways the little guy has lots of clothes but only fashion stuff and nothing warm. So I made a pair of double fleece jammies for him and will deliver today at noon.

On the plus side I packed up 2 pair of size 18 jeans for the same friend and am now wearing 16. Hard to believe - weight loss does not seem that great to me. Do not have progress pics. Have started and stopped too many times and the oldest pics I have are of me 10 lbs lighter that I now am. Have none of me at my heaviest 50 lbs ago. Avoided cameras like the plague.

Keep on keeping on.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,148 Member
    Options
    Just bumping.....:heart:

Lin