A long 300lb+ hill to climb...

Options

Replies

• hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.

- and there's probably a heckuva lot of people so coming out from hiding behind their sofas because of your courage.

It's a slow business - and none of us are patient once we see the lbs coming off.
    Every morning I wake up and get of bed and feel my tummy and think " Oh! It's still there" - I am "a bit over "17stone BUT I used to be a bit under 20 stone.

- but, know something? When I was 19 stone and started on MFP I was "compact" - my stomach felt really hard. I could kid myself that this was muscle, there because of all the singing I do.
    Now that I lost nearly 2 stone it's really floppy and it isn't fooling anyone - not even me.

It's slow - and sometimes it sticks - FOR WEEKS - it sucks - but:
    Do you know the Fable about the Hare and the Tortoise? - the Tortoise wins every time.

good luck and best wishes
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yes, your story does help. I'm following you up that hill :)
  • CanadianDot
    CanadianDot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hey Josh.

I think it's spectacular that you're starting on this journey. It's going to be hard, but the great things: Firstly, because you weigh a lot, you get a lot of calories to eat every day! Secondly, for the first while, you'll probably lose weight really quickly.

I have about 300 lbs to lose to get to my end-goal, so I understand the whole 'the end of the road is too far away to see" thing. :-)
  • MiSo_SeXy
    MiSo_SeXy Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm glad your here and i'm glad your doing it the natural way!
    Good for you^^
  • jen10st
    jen10st Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    thankyou josh for sharing your story, i think you were very brave being so honest. you should be really proud of yourself and your loss so far (58 pounds wooohooo!). losing weight is never going to be easy but i really think you can do it and who knows you might find that you don't even need that surgery. good luck x
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    At the time you originally posted this in August you had lost 32 pounds from when you had started in June--and I see now (10/7/12) you have lost 58!

That is SO awesome! Keep it up! :drinker:
  • doitforabby
    doitforabby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Keep plugging away at it Josh! You are doing GREAT so far!
  • zeppelinkd
    zeppelinkd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Best of luck! You'll get there - slowly but surely.
  • bbfrend1
    bbfrend1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Josh, you are doing such a good job. I will use you as my goal post. I am a senior citizen about the age of your granny. I just started on mfp today. I found your entry and knew that if you can do this, so can I. I will have a problem with the exercise. I do not walk well. I have a scooter for the yard. I do have a cardio glide that I will dust off and I have a kayak that I manage quite well. Keep up the good work and I will use you for my encouragement.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    You can do this! NEVER give up on yourself because you deserve no less than your best! Even those of us that have had surgery still need to put in the work..it is a constant battle. Surgery is an excellent tool to help you, but you can things now that will help you be even more successful. I have found MFP to be a great tool to help me. I am far enough out from my surgery that I have to work just as hard to lose it as other people and logging my food and exercise really helps to keep me in line. The support here is also amazing!

If you decide to continue a pursuit for wls, I say keep at it! Do what you need to in order to get it done. It was a lifesaver for me and I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I also had to go through a lengthy process for insurance, but it was worth it.

Sending you a friend request :happy:
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! You"re my inspiration!
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation. I've been using MFP for about two months now, and I've lost 15 pounds so far. It's not much since I started off at 400 pounds, but it's something! If you ever need to talk to who understands what it's like to a very long road in front of them, shoot me message!
  • wajihabutt
    Options
    following u will give me inspiration so ad me if u like
  • anniebelle26
    anniebelle26 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Whoop Whoop...Josh is in the 500s.!!!
  • Lynnsie12
    Options
    That's infuriating to hear your health insurance woes. ARGH! I feel your pain. But you know what impresses me? You didn't let that stop you from embarking on your journey to get healthy. i'm so impressed and you are an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm on a quest to lose 100 lbs and just started a week ago.
  • reenielovesthebeach
    Options
    Good Job! Keep up the good work! You can do this! :smile:
  • semmie52
    semmie52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my very first post...at this very new place.

I just want to say, Josh, that seeing your post gives me a great deal of courage. I am so proud of you already (you're in the 500s! You're doing a fantastic job!), and I feel a great deal of motivation just hearing your story. You are my hero, Josh.

I'm stoked. I'm gonna go for a walk!
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    keep on going!!! it is worth it!!!! And MFP works......
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    58lbs in such a short space of time is excellent!!
    HAlfway over your first 100lbs!!

Keep it up :D
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Great job on your new journey Josh.
    I became more than 2 of the high school me and could not believe I ate myself.
    Just take it one day at a time with short term goals.
    Small things can add up.
    Walk as much as you can when you can.
    Keep the tv remote on the other side of the room.
    1800 cal might be a bit low if you feel you can't do it raise it to 2000 until you lose more.
    Drink lots and lots of water, if you don't like plain water add lemon or flavor.